Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: New Scale Rules Set : Radio Control Scale Association RCSA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #81

Default Re: New Scale Rules Set : Radio Control Scale Association RCSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

Just because we argue about one thing doesn't mean we can't agree on another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I know I'm going to catch flak for this, but there are comp classes for that. IMO the push for performance has really muddied the scale waters, just as the awkward but brief push to make comp rigs more realistic and relatable muddied their waters.
I would disagree that only comp classes are for driving performance competitions. Why can't scale competitions also be about a well setup vehicle and driving skills?

I will say that "scale" crawling events have kind of forgotten the scale aspect. Your street legal Jeep Cherokee isn't likely to climb a vertical rock wall...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I would disagree that only comp classes are for driving performance competitions. Why can't scale competitions also be about a well setup vehicle and driving skills?

I will say that "scale" crawling events have kind of forgotten the scale aspect. Your street legal Jeep Cherokee isn't likely to climb a vertical rock wall...

And not once has anyone ever been giddy when they needed to pull cable. The locals get all happy when they can put the winch to use or clip a string to the roof rack to keep a rig from tipping.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #83
Suck it up!

Quote:

What good is a radio control vehicle if you don't drive it, amaright? I expect to be challenged when I go to a scale event, and given the assumed nature of the class, that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

Our toy trucks can achieve what would be impossible for their full sized counterparts, that's just physics and the nature of the game and I have no beef with that.

All I'm saying is that if there are going to be two different groups with two different things that they are focused on, the people keeping that focus need to be rewarded and appreciated. If things start trending in another direction, start another class or entirely separate group to run with it so as not to diminish those that already exist. You can have a dedicated scale group, a dedicated comp group, and for those that want to run unpainted brass weights and carbon fiber frame with a winch and a lumpy Yeti cooler, a "performance scale" group.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #84
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
I agree, the full rules are daunting for folks, but I wish clubs would really take the whole 'make modifications as necessary' thing to heart and just simplify the rules for their area. The RCSA rules are a nice alternative and I think once you guys work through some things it will be helpful for new folks.

As long as we are on the same page now, no harm no foul Its really tough to read intent and tone on the internet.

Making modifications to rules is one thing I learned a lot about while being sole manager of the USRCCA. The more complex the rules, the less likely modification will happen. There are very few people willing or able to do the work, and they are typically the people willing to make their own thing up from scratch and host an event with no hand holding. How many people in the world are that confident and able to draw a crowd? A few dozen? Most hosts would rather use a predefined set of rules instead of being a rogue agent.

I tried my hand at modifying the 2017 Sorcca rules while prepping for my events this year, and had some trouble understanding whether I screwed things up and left some big hole that could be easily exploited. I ended up throwing out practically the entire thing, and just starting over from tire height, lol. The other option would be to run a set of questionably modified rules at events and let people find the holes, putting in the time on the ground with enough people to grind out the work. If starting without a solid group, it can be very difficult to attract people with mildly complicated rules. Its a chicken or egg problem.

The nice thing about the RCSA document is that Mike did the work of hacking the rules down and then put 4 years of time on the ground to close up the holes. Work already done both mentally and physically. I'm glad that Sorcca is willing to adopt them as an official "lite" ruleset. I hope to do the same on a lower level this year at the Hobby House, goal of guiding the most newb person into hosting a little get together with his newb friends and have a good time. Now that I have the time and schedule to put the work on the ground, it can be done.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 03-07-2018 at 06:20 AM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
The winching thing always escapes me. Sure, on a full size...but a toy? Oh well, as long as they’re having fun.
I wasn't terribly in to it until I got in to it. Winching on its own is a skill and a fun part of the comp.

I think there should be no penalty other than time for using a winch. I will say that I am not a fan of the assisted winch concept and just pulling someone through the gate.

Course designers bug the crap out of me when they design gates and obstacles that require winching to get through. I like to design gates and obstacles that reward a driver for a well set up rig and good driving skills, but for those who are lacking in one (or both) of those categories, they can winch their way through.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Your street legal Jeep Cherokee isn't likely to climb a vertical rock wall...
Hold my beer...
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Winching to me adds to the fun. It bugs me when you see every truck in a comp with one but yet they don’t use it when needed. But I wheel full size Jeeps too and part of the fun is pulling line as you’ve reached the vehicles limits if you need your winch. Plus it’s fun to bust on your buddies when you need to winch them out.

I’m ok if there’s sections of a course that require winching as it’s another skill that’s putting the vehicle and the driver to the test. I mean it is a scale competition not a backyard bash. And by winch I mean an electric winch that pulls line. None of these cheater “winches” people try to pass off as a winch.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

Nice TJ.

By cheater winch I am refering to a bungee cord “winch” or a gear keeper spring loaded retract that people use as a winch.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #89

Quote:
We had a very early TJ when my oldest started driving - I never realized you could build up a stock TJ into a rock crawler. The first one was pretty mild, then it got stolen, so I bought a box stock one and built it from there. Regeared D44 with ARB and a open D30 front for 4:10's, had a 6cyl auto so 35's went fine but the mileage was crap. And it weighed 4600 when I got done with it. Yeah, all those parts add up. LOL

The stocker...and the built version. 5" suspension and 1" body lift, a combo of Curry and Rubicon parts, with stock links. Still crawled great, had internal beadlocks - we would run the MTR's at about 8lbs.

Hijack over...

We still have the Winnebago...the jeep got sold to buy a bigger boat. LOL Now I want a new JK. [shrug]
I didn't know this was show off your heap thread...

Only a Jeep driver would do that.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Bitch about axials choice to rehash rigs ad nauseum with yet more jeep bodies but they know their scale nerd buyers for sure.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:

I get it, you don't like crawling history or about winching. Deleted all my posts in this thread.
I have also unsubscribed so you guys can hash it out. Seeyas.

Last edited by Browneye; 03-08-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #92

Quote:
I get it, you don't like crawling history or about winching. Deleted all my posts in this thread.
I have also unsubscribed so you guys can hash it out. Seeyas.

I liked the winch post. I think I even "liked" it. But then you went and turned it into a "Look at me! Look at my Jeep!" thread and took it way off topic. Nobody gives a shit. There are threads to post your 1:1 ride.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

i think he was discussing with evidence the whole "going up a rock with a street legal jeep" thing.

you boys play nice now!
this is why i hesitate to comp my rig... are we getting to the point of fisticuffs over these rules??

in drifting, when it went all pro with the Formula Drift circuit, grassroots guys started a movement with a slogan "Keep Drifting Fun", there was a documentary by the same name and decals can still be seen on just about any slammed "ricer" out there. (i had some on my AE86 corolla but i will refrain from "showing off my heap")

but the principal is good. lets just have fun. maybe we need stickers on our scale rigs that say "Keep Scaling Fun".

Last edited by Shinchu; 03-09-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
even gayer than sorcca

New Scale Rules Set : Radio Control Scale Association RCSA - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Control Crawling Association Vehicle Definitions and Judging JohnRobHolmes WRCCA Rules 45 06-09-2018 12:02 AM
Scale 4x4 R/C Official Club Association speedemall Maryland 2 03-03-2009 02:26 PM
Arizona Radio Control Rock Crawler Association Crawlerdude75 Chit Chat 48 07-08-2007 12:07 AM
NARRCA (northern arizona radio control crawlers association rockwerks Chit Chat 2 08-08-2006 08:08 AM