Notices

Thread: Been out of RC crawling for 9 years. What did I miss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Been out of RC crawling for 9 years. What did I miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I envy you. I'm more than willing to move out of Cali to get away from this daily grind.... but family loves it here so...
Yes, I hear you. The reason I am moving. My friend who I went in on the property with decided one day to sell his business and house and load up the motorhome heading for the rocky mountains. Found this great property and I decided to follow. Area only gets about 12" - 24" of snow a year and what does fall, melts in a day or two. Love having true 4 seasons. The leaves turn bright orange and yellow just before fall and the site is amazing. Nothing like walking outside and seeing a family of deer hanging out on your front door step and smelling the fresh crisp Colorado air.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Congrats on being the Powerball winner !

Seriously, what an unbelievable slice of heaven you got there. Congrats. Any plans to allow camping?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Yes, camping is fine, just need to sign a waiver in case a bear visits you during the night. There are 4 waterfalls and a mile long stream on the property that would be perfect for scale crawling events.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Here is a 3ft long rock I pulled from near one of the copper mines. Full of copper. There are hundreds of rocks on the surface near the mines that are full of copper and who knows how many have yet to be uncovered.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

This is the view from my future back deck. There is a canyon running down the south side that has 100ft tall rock formations. Will post pictures of the rock formations shortly.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:47 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Just beautiful country. You are a lucky man.
I feel pretty luck having 180 acres to "explore", so on a smaller scale, I can relate...
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Funny this would pop up now after I just spent the weekend chit chatting with the owners of rcp crawlers at the Arizona summer shootout comp this passed weekend. Cool people for sure.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Funny this would pop up now after I just spent the weekend chit chatting with the owners of rcp crawlers at the Arizona summer shootout comp this passed weekend. Cool people for sure.
Yes, the new owner and his wife are very nice people. Wish I was still involved with the company.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Attached picture is one of the crawling courses the new owners used from what Brian, Noel and I built. Some of the pieces are from my original mountain display and other pieces were built by Noel and Brian after I sold the company.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Here is the rock crawling mountain I built that pretty much launched the RC rock crawling hobby into the mass market. I built it back in 2005 to promote my RC Track business, RCP Tracks. I invited some of the people from a local rock crawling club to come and exhibit at RCX, California. At that show, companies like Tamiya, Kyosho and HPI were all scratching their heads on how they could produce a rock crawler and if it would be successful in the market. From this exhibit is where Axial pretty much got their start.

The RCP Tracks truck was built from Kyosho Rock Force axles and was one of the first crawlers to use the Rock Force axles. Again, this was in 2005 and way before any manufacture had an official "Rock Crawling" RC truck on the market. Tamiya was the only company I know that had something that resembled a true crawler in the TLT. The other trucks in the picture below where built using Clod and TLT axles.

Last edited by John; 05-08-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

The RCP Crawlers crew from I believe sometime around 2007. The RCP rock crawling exhibits always seem to draw the biggest crowds. Too bad we didn't have factory production trucks at that time, because everyone kept asking how they could purchase one and we had to spend the next 15 minutes explaining how to build them from parts and pieces. Was a turn off until the production trucks starting popping up from HPI and Axial.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #32
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

That looks like me in the yellow shirt Still kicking around, living one day at a time!

I'm pretty sure I saw the listing for that property. Had I known it came with water rights, I would have considered it more heavily. Me and the wife tried to move out to colorado a while back and simply wouldn't move without getting land with water rights. Which we couldn't seem to find.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

:cough cough:
Id help explore your land, or put in hours on a course if youre interested.
I am just south of Denver, I dont mind the drive.

You said old mines, waterfalls and a mile of streams and I just glazed over in ahh!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
That looks like me in the yellow shirt Still kicking around, living one day at a time!

I'm pretty sure I saw the listing for that property. Had I known it came with water rights, I would have considered it more heavily. Me and the wife tried to move out to colorado a while back and simply wouldn't move without getting land with water rights. Which we couldn't seem to find.
Yep, that's you John. If you have over 35 acres, water rights are not an issue or it wasn't for us. First well we had drilled, the company went down over 1000 ft and didn't find water. We hired someone to walk around the property holding two sticks and when they came together he said drill here. We found water at 75ft from his suggestion. We checked the original well and it is now producing water, so we have a second source if needed. We were able to get electric cable installed underground, so we don't have any ugly poles on the property. The rocks and trees on the property are amazing. With the many waterfalls, stream/river, rock walls and early 1900s log cabins, it really is a wonderland.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by John; 05-08-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #35

Beautiful property. You have all of us jealous.

Here in SE PA you'd have to be a multi millionaire to afford all that land and the taxes. City folks keep moving in and making it even worse. I'll never understand the need to live on top of each other when we have so much free land!

I wish I could move, but I just can't with all my roots here.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

wow i didn't know water divining sticks was still a thing?!
that's some cool history about rc crawling, too. all around the time i was RC drifting (another sub-niche boom) in japan.

glad to have you back and CONGRATS on that property! i am another Californian that is drooling over the idea... well maybe except the bears part lol
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Just curious about the copper laden ore on your new property. Do you retain the mineral rights ? I remember the year that I lived in Cheyenne, Wyoming trying to sell real estate. Riparian and mineral rights was always a source of hot debates as to who actually "owned" them and who could transfer those rights.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #38
RCC Addict

I am in! Bad ass property for sure. Need any electrical work done? I'm about 45 minutes from you down in Littleton
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
After starting RCP Crawlers with Brian and Noel around 9 years ago, I am just getting back into the hobby. I purchased 103 acres of land in Colorado and am currently building a new home on the property. The land includes a mile long stream, 4 water falls, two copper mines and rocks/mountains as far as you can see. Looking to possibly set up some future RC crawling events, once I get settled in. Fun times ahead.

So what did I miss? Noticed that most of the popular vendors are still around. Amazed how far RC crawling has come since that first meeting with the guys to start up the company RCP Crawlers.
Welcome back, John! Nice place you have there. If we ever move to Colorado Springs I'll be sure to look you up!

To answer your question, there are lots of 1/10 crawler options out there ATM with more arriving seemingly each month: Hobao DC-1 whenever they're released, Redcat Everest 10 and Gen7, Vaterra Ascender, 3Racing Ex Real, MST CMX and CFX (both on the small side), Carisma SCA-1E, Axial Scx10 ii, HPI Venture, Traxxas TRX-4, HG P402, Cross RC Demon SG4C, Gmade, and Rc4wd's TF2, Gelande, and the new Terrain.

Choosing the right one depends on your priorities really: your local club's class (1.9, 2.2, C1, C2, C3) popularity if you plan on competing, parts availability (local and online, in-country and out), scale-ness, design, durability, performance, looks, etc.

Our family has an Axial Ax10 mutt, Scx10 OG Honcho, and Scx10 ii Cherokee; aftermarket support is amazing! The Ascender seems very capable and has created quite following here on RCC. Personally, I like the scale interior options that a forward-mounted motor provides, so the Ex Real and smaller CFX appeal to me. Here's some more info on scale crawling classes (0,1,2,3): http://sorrca.com/rules.php and if you want to find some Colorado crawling events, check Facebook or here: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/colorado
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
I am in! Bad ass property for sure. Need any electrical work done? I'm about 45 minutes from you down in Littleton
Thanks, will let you know as I may need some help wiring. I wired my two neighbors homes last year that are on the property. Got to know the electrical inspector pretty well. I have 20 years experience in the field as an electrician and my father retired as part owner of Berg Electric. My older brother took over and is currently V.P. of Berg Electric. My younger brother is V.P. of estimating. You might have seen them around as they have an office in Littleton. They have offices in 12 states in the US and are a pretty large company. Main offices are in Los Angeles and San Diego. I worked for Berg Electric for 20+ years and was running the AutoCad BIM department at the Ventura office, when I left 4 years ago. Was quite a big change to run romex at the homes compared to pipe and wire. I did some autocad work on the Colorado big hospital project from a few years back. Berg had the electrical contract for that rather large project. I remember the Colorado Hospital project had close to 10 buildings and many parking structures.

Last edited by John; 05-08-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Been out of RC crawling for 9 years. What did I miss - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
been away from crawling for a few years Don Tamiya CR-01 7 10-30-2017 07:40 PM
New Years Crawling - SCX10 scaled Videos! 2 01-27-2016 11:31 AM
Dec 31 New Years Eve Crawling??? hoghead5150 Oklahoma 18 01-01-2012 11:17 AM
New to Rc crawling!! Too many years in RC!! Dandyfunk Newbie General 4 04-24-2009 10:31 PM