Notices

Thread: Been out of RC crawling for 9 years. What did I miss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Been out of RC crawling for 9 years. What did I miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Welcome back, John! Nice place you have there. If we ever move to Colorado Springs I'll be sure to look you up!

To answer your question, there are lots of 1/10 crawler options out there ATM with more arriving seemingly each month: Hobao DC-1 whenever they're released, Redcat Everest 10 and Gen7, Vaterra Ascender, 3Racing Ex Real, MST CMX and CFX (both on the small side), Carisma SCA-1E, Axial Scx10 ii, HPI Venture, Traxxas TRX-4, HG P402, Cross RC Demon SG4C, Gmade, and Rc4wd's TF2, Gelande, and the new Terrain.

Choosing the right one depends on your priorities really: your local club's class (1.9, 2.2, C1, C2, C3) popularity if you plan on competing, parts availability (local and online, in-country and out), scale-ness, design, durability, performance, looks, etc.

Our family has an Axial Ax10 mutt, Scx10 OG Honcho, and Scx10 ii Cherokee; aftermarket support is amazing! The Ascender seems very capable and has created quite following here on RCC. Personally, I like the scale interior options that a forward-mounted motor provides, so the Ex Real and smaller CFX appeal to me. Here's some more info on scale crawling classes (0,1,2,3): SORRCA.com and if you want to find some Colorado crawling events, check Facebook or here: West - Colorado at RCCrawler.com
That is crazy. So many options to pick from. I remember the days when you could just make a chassis out of some flat metal and build some TLT or Clod axles using some 55 turn motors and you were set. Could just purchase some pieces from Traxxas to make a tranny/gear box. I remember the day we made the deal with MIP to make us some exclusive CVD's for the TLT axles. We sold so many was hard to keep them in stock. I think RCP Crawlers still sells them. Another big seller was the Hustler Chassis in both 2.2 and super class sizes. John (Badger) made me a bunch of crawlers using Traxxas Tranny's and TLT axles that I used for an exhibit at the Daytona 500 for the Goodyear Corporation. Had two rock racing type set ups that people would race each other over the rocks. The goodyear booth was a big hit that year. I will try and find those pictures.

Last edited by John; 05-08-2018 at 11:02 PM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #42
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

yeah, aint it crazy? From being totally cobbled together a decade ago, to having dozens of choices in the market. The SCX10ii and Traxxas TRX-4 are top of the heap iMO. Both have dead on geometry, practically no torque twist, and extremely predictable and stable in binding situations.

Congrats on the land purchase btw. I hope you really get to enjoy it. Looks like a very cool location, I hope you have some events there as I will be sure to visit!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #43

Wow, your property looks so beautiful with lots to explore.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
HeroSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

I just stumbled across this thread and like pretty much everyone else, JEALOUS! What a gorgeous tract of land. I'd be doing some MTB singletrack on it, a Moto-X course, RC short course, crawler course...............................

Anyway, any updates on what you've been able to accomplish on the property? At least we can live vicariously through your pictures!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Thanks, will let you know as I may need some help wiring. I wired my two neighbors homes last year that are on the property. Got to know the electrical inspector pretty well. I have 20 years experience in the field as an electrician and my father retired as part owner of Berg Electric. My older brother took over and is currently V.P. of Berg Electric. My younger brother is V.P. of estimating. You might have seen them around as they have an office in Littleton. They have offices in 12 states in the US and are a pretty large company. Main offices are in Los Angeles and San Diego. I worked for Berg Electric for 20+ years and was running the AutoCad BIM department at the Ventura office, when I left 4 years ago. Was quite a big change to run romex at the homes compared to pipe and wire. I did some autocad work on the Colorado big hospital project from a few years back. Berg had the electrical contract for that rather large project. I remember the Colorado Hospital project had close to 10 buildings and many parking structures.
This is rather funny now, because at the beginning of last year I hung my tools up and started doing BIM for Intermountain Electric. It was a good call, I am currently sitting in my PJ's working on a hospital in Reno and a paper mill in Wisconsin. How's the house coming along?
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #46
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I just stumbled across this thread and like pretty much everyone else, JEALOUS! What a gorgeous tract of land. I'd be doing some MTB singletrack on it, a Moto-X course, RC short course, crawler course...............................

Anyway, any updates on what you've been able to accomplish on the property? At least we can live vicariously through your pictures!
For sure! To have my own single track MTB trail loop is a dream for me.

Crawler course, short course.

Living the dream...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote

Been out of RC crawling for 9 years. What did I miss - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
been away from crawling for a few years Don Tamiya CR-01 7 10-30-2017 07:40 PM
New Years Crawling - SCX10 scaled Videos! 2 01-27-2016 11:31 AM
Dec 31 New Years Eve Crawling??? hoghead5150 Oklahoma 18 01-01-2012 11:17 AM
New to Rc crawling!! Too many years in RC!! Dandyfunk Newbie General 4 04-24-2009 10:31 PM