LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2024, 09:48 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default new toy for the phasers

if your in to phasing your driveshafts there's a new toy for you guys

THE TIRE BALANCER lol

because why not

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13492593606...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by ferp420; 02-14-2024 at 09:52 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2024, 10:21 AM   #2

Default Re: new toy for the phasers

Phasing the driveshafts is kind of a must though. The average crawler or trial truck doesn't go fast enough to worry about tire balance.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 10:36 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

it doesn't go fast enuff to need to phase the driveshafts ether
Old 02-14-2024, 12:19 PM   #4

In full size vehicles you balance the driveshafts out of the car/truck using weights like you do on a wheel balance for the hi speed they are rotating.

But phasing as I understood it is so the u-joints are rotating through the same phase at the same time. This is to make sure both ends of the driveshaft are rotating at the same speed since a u-joint will accelerate and decelerate depending on where it is in its "flex".

I'd think that with RC driveshafts that use a bunch of plastic you would not want each end of the shaft rotating at different speeds as it would either cause excess wear on the splines or cause the truck to judder from the splines binding and not sliding.

Seems easy enough to phase a driveshaft.

Just my 2 cents.
89Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Industries View Post
In full size vehicles you balance the driveshafts out of the car/truck using weights like you do on a wheel balance for the hi speed they are rotating.

But phasing as I understood it is so the u-joints are rotating through the same phase at the same time. This is to make sure both ends of the driveshaft are rotating at the same speed since a u-joint will accelerate and decelerate depending on where it is in its "flex".

I'd think that with RC driveshafts that use a bunch of plastic you would not want each end of the shaft rotating at different speeds as it would either cause excess wear on the splines or cause the truck to judder from the splines binding and not sliding.

Seems easy enough to phase a driveshaft.

Just my 2 cents.
again crawlers are too slow for any ware issues and if your drive angles are so far out that being out of phase causes binding you have other issues

let's say you have a 1:1 with a solid axle

it has joints on both ends of that axle are they in phase almost never and if they are it's only for a split second

not saying you shouldn't phase the shafts just that it really doesn't make a difference if everything else is the same

but anyway if you don't agree with me there's the tool for you lol cause tire balance will come in to lay long before driveshaft phase
Old 02-14-2024, 11:22 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

If for nothing more, I think finding out how bad a driveshaft is, might be neat.

For the speeds of R/C vehicles additional wear of the bearings and housing are negligible due to the load and speed. The real concern that needs to be addressed (if it happens) is binding in the joints of the shafts.
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 07:11 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I rarely, if ever, worry about tire balancing on my crawlers. As stated, they just don't go fast enough to really make it worth while.

I do balance my go-fast RCs, anything I expect to go over 20mph I balance. While not fancy or shmancy (or expensive), I built my own balancer using a 2WD Slash back suspension arm, carrier, and new bearings. I use modeling clay from Wally-World, and my 40+mph RCs have no wheel issues.

With that, I can't say that if I had 160 bones burning a hole in my pocket that I would not pick one of these automated balancers up.
Greatscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
let's say you have a 1:1 with a solid axle

it has joints on both ends of that axle are they in phase almost never and if they are it's only for a split second
That's why that solid axle has a center differential. It accounts for the different rotation speeds at each end of that axle.

And when you lock the differential the instructions are to not drive on dry high traction surfaces (pavement) or too fast because you will wear out the differential (both the axle differential and normally the locked transfer case differential).
Old 02-15-2024, 11:33 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's why that solid axle has a center differential. It accounts for the different rotation speeds at each end of that axle.

And when you lock the differential the instructions are to not drive on dry high traction surfaces (pavement) or too fast because you will wear out the differential (both the axle differential and normally the locked transfer case differential).
the center diff has no bearing on driveshaft phasing

and although what you sead about the diff locker is true it also has no bearing on driveshaft phasing and it adds to my point that crawlers are to slow to worry about that stuff anyway
Old 02-15-2024, 12:08 PM   #10

It has nothing to do with speed. Driveshafts out of phase with speed causes vibrations that on higher speed vehicles will lead to problems. Also more weight will add to this issue at higher speeds.

On these slow little, lightweight crawlers it does have to do with binding. If both ends of the driveshaft are not rotating at the same speed it puts extra load on the joints at each end and on the splines of the sliding/telescoping part of the driveshaft.

Extra friction from that load adds wear and also lessons the performance since these areas are now not moving as freely as they could. And since that splined slip joint needs to extend or compress as your suspension moves it is limiting the free movement of the suspension.

Does this matter to some people? No. Does it take more than a few seconds to just phase the driveshaft and pay attention to details? No.

For the performance minded people (I do not comp my trucks, at least not yet), not paying attention to the details is what gets people chasing their ass trying to figure out why something isn't doing what they want.

Also, getting poor, wrong or misleading information presented as truth gets people chasing their ass.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I've never understood why this is a hill you want to die on Ferp lol
Phasing a driveshaft is extremely easy.

Out of phase shafts can make rigs pulse and hop at super low speeds, it doesn't have to be a go fast to matter.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-15-2024 at 12:11 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
it doesn't go fast enuff to need to phase the driveshafts ether
Not exactly true. I have had issues on at least one of my crawlers by out of phase driveshafts. I noticed the binding or stuttering or whatever you want to call it. There's right and there's wrong. Not phasing driveshafts is wrong.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:02 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

this thread wasn't about agreeing or disagreeing on driveshaft phasing it's about ballencing your tires so you get the smoothest most comfortable ride out of your crawlers lol
Old 02-15-2024, 02:24 PM   #14

Then please stay on topic in your original post.

I think most on this forum agree that balancing tires is not useful for an rc crawler.

In fact, in the original ebay listing you posted for the rc wheel and tire balancer, it does not mention crawler at all and is intended for ON-road rc cars.

But your original posting tried to take a jab at people who properly phase their driveshafts by saying they would also be into this tire balancer.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:39 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

This topic was absolutely titled to poke fun at the woke hobbiests who stupidly want to do things correctly /S. You imply that if people are stupid enough to do X then they must also be stupid enough to want Y. This was a troll topic, thats all.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:08 PM   #16

Quote:
this thread wasn't about agreeing or disagreeing on driveshaft phasing it's about ballencing your tires so you get the smoothest most comfortable ride out of your crawlers lol
You're along on this one. And you also happen to be wrong.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:39 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You're along on this one.
you don't like ballenced tires ?

Last edited by ferp420; 02-15-2024 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:47 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not exactly true.
Quote:
And you also happen to be wrong.
first it's not entirely correct now it's completely wrong lol do I sense the old jato coming out lol

Last edited by ferp420; 02-15-2024 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:49 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Then please stay on topic in your original post.

I think most on this forum agree that balancing tires is not useful for an rc crawler.

In fact, in the original ebay listing you posted for the rc wheel and tire balancer, it does not mention crawler at all and is intended for ON-road rc cars.

But your original posting tried to take a jab at people who properly phase their driveshafts by saying they would also be into this tire balancer.
so your not in to ballencing tires
Old 02-15-2024, 05:58 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
This topic was absolutely titled to poke fun at the woke hobbiests who stupidly want to do things correctly /S. You imply that if people are stupid enough to do X then they must also be stupid enough to want Y. This was a troll topic, thats all.
people get so bent out of shape about this topic
not trying to call any one any kinda name or put anyone down poop I phase my uninersal joint shafts too just cause but if I forget or am not paying attention I won't change it till I have the shaft off for other reasons

you can watch those you tube videos they all say the same this is a issue at high speed and or extreme angles so if your drive line angles are correct you would never notice anything if your shafts were out of phase it might be kinda a troll thread but tire balance is way bigger issues In my book so hay if someone is that anal than there's a tool for them

maybe i should have put this in chit chat

Last edited by ferp420; 02-15-2024 at 06:09 PM.

new toy for the phasers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Toy Dezert Concepts Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 06-08-2013 12:23 AM
New toy Gula Chit Chat 2 04-25-2012 09:30 PM
Toy crawlers r1 to formula toy Toycrawler5481 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-09-2011 06:49 PM
New Toy KYScorpion Chit Chat 0 04-19-2008 08:47 PM