Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Book Recomendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2021, 02:44 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Book Recomendations

I am a big fan of the "Cormoran Strike"-Series by Robert Galbraith (wich is a pseudonym from Joanne K. Rowling)
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

sears and jc whitney are my favorite reads but the sears book dosent seem to come out anymore and i memerized the jc whitney book
harbor freight and norther tool just dont do it for me anymore so i dont realy read anymore lol
the way i see.it.if.the book dosent have the price listed for the item and then they try to use feelings and words to sell stuff that is how you know its way to exspensive for what it is
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:31 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

A series I just got through reading was “Scythe” a three book series by Neal Shusterman.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

The red trilogy by Linda Nagata

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
W1ck3d0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:44 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenritter View Post
I am a big fan of the "Cormoran Strike"-Series by Robert Galbraith (wich is a pseudonym from Joanne K. Rowling)
This looked interesting to me, so I took your recommendation. I'm half-way thru the first book "the cuckoo's calling." I like it. Cormoran is a very interesting character. He's the underdog. I'm rooting for him.

MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #26

Anything by Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein and David Drake (just to toss in one relatively recent author.)
Those are mostly science fiction though Drake did an excellent fantasy series as well.

To re-iterate some that have been mentioned already:
Stephen King, John Sandford, Lee Child (the Jack Reacher books.)

Currently re-reading a Carl Hiassen- fun reads.
Jimmy Buffet has written a few books that were silly but pretty good.

Also various motorcycle and car manuals, at times. ;)
dugans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:43 PM   #27
Gold Star Baby!

Funny timing to revive this thread. I had just finished reading Ready Player One when I posted this 3 years ago and today I’m halfway through Ready Player Two.

x2 on Max-D’s suggestion of the subtle art of not giving a f*ck. That’s a good read.

Also recently picked up a book on Python programming.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:31 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

"The idea factory" and the Great Age of American Innovation
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:01 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Funny timing to revive this thread. I had just finished reading Ready Player One when I posted this 3 years ago and today I’m halfway through Ready Player Two.
Wow! I didn`t know there is a Ready Player Two out
I have read Ready Player One several times and I am still watching the movie from time to time
That`s good news!
Old 05-28-2021, 02:10 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
This looked interesting to me, so I took your recommendation. I'm half-way thru the first book "the cuckoo's calling." I like it. Cormoran is a very interesting character. He's the underdog. I'm rooting for him.
Glad you like it. I am looking forward to your feedback after you have finished the book!
Hard to belive it is from the same autor as the Harry Potter novels, isn`it?
Old 05-28-2021, 05:03 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Glad you like it. I am looking forward to your feedback after you have finished the book!

Hard to belive it is from the same autor as the Harry Potter novels, isn`it?
Loved the book! Kept me on the edge of my seat. I never would've guessed who killed Lula Landry. It is hard to believe that it's the same author as Harry Potter. She's got quite the imagination.

I'm on chapter nine of the second book Silkworm.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2021, 05:39 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I know this thread is a few years old, but this book helped me many years ago when I was trying to figure out this life thing. While it may not be for everybody, I'm sure there's one more person out here that would benefit from this book. It's not a blame chaser, it's just a really informative read.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:25 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Right now I'm readin the Otherland series by Tad Williams. It's good so far.

Last edited by W1ck3d0n3; 05-29-2021 at 01:28 AM.
W1ck3d0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:56 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Loved the book! Kept me on the edge of my seat. I never would've guessed who killed Lula Landry. It is hard to believe that it's the same author as Harry Potter. She's got quite the imagination.

I'm on chapter nine of the second book Silkworm.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

In retrospect, all the clues were there. But I didn`t get it either. A friend told me to read a book a second time after finishing it, cause you will get more details.
Silkworm is more twisted, and characters envolve. I have read all 4 books of this series and loved them.
Happy reading!
Old 06-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickieN View Post
I'm currently reading the Hary Hole series by Jo Nesbo. Great books. If someone likes detective stories, they are worth reading.
Thanks. I'll give them a look.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm currently reading the Hary Hole series by Jo Nesbo. Great books. If someone likes detective stories, they are worth reading.
I second that recommendation, great stuff!

I gotta throw out Michael Connelly, of course (anyone seen his Amazon series "Bosch"? Incredible adaption from his books)

...and Andrew Mayne (especially his latest "Underwater Investigation Unit" series of books)

Oh - can't remember if I mentioned him before, but absolutely ANYTHING by Joseph Wambaugh - he's been writing police procedural fiction (as well as the occasional true crime book) for decades - he was involved in creating and developing the '70s TV series "Police Story", and his books pull NO punches, telling both sides of the story - corruption, depression among officers, observations of various elements of (mostly Californian) society and feature a LOT of dark humor.

He was the son of a policeman, a Marine, and served 14 years on the LAPD himself. Many movies have been made of his books. Pretty sure I've read every single one of his books multiple times, and am about to order a few used paperbacks that I haven't read in ages.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:27 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I second that recommendation, great stuff!

I gotta throw out Michael Connelly, of course (anyone seen his Amazon series "Bosch"? Incredible adaption from his books)

...and Andrew Mayne (especially his latest "Underwater Investigation Unit" series of books)

Oh - can't remember if I mentioned him before, but absolutely ANYTHING by Joseph Wambaugh - he's been writing police procedural fiction (as well as the occasional true crime book) for decades - he was involved in creating and developing the '70s TV series "Police Story", and his books pull NO punches, telling both sides of the story - corruption, depression among officers, observations of various elements of (mostly Californian) society and feature a LOT of dark humor.

He was the son of a policeman, a Marine, and served 14 years on the LAPD himself. Many movies have been made of his books. Pretty sure I've read every single one of his books multiple times, and am about to order a few used paperbacks that I haven't read in ages.
LIKE! Since there's no friggin like button

Old 06-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
In retrospect, all the clues were there. But I didn`t get it either. A friend told me to read a book a second time after finishing it, cause you will get more details.
Silkworm is more twisted, and characters envolve. I have read all 4 books of this series and loved them.
Happy reading!
I finished The Silkworm a few days ago and I'm just about done with Career of Evil. Great stories! I'll be starting the next one on Monday.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

This is more of a "What am I reading" than a recommended books post - but it's EXTREMELY interesting, and FREE!

(because it's posted over at Jalopnik)

Title: A Brief History Of Gasoline: A Century And A Half Of Lies

Part 1:

https://jalopnik.com/a-brief-history...gas-1846790331

Part 2:

https://jalopnik.com/a-brief-history...ves-1846958607

The series will end up containing 10 parts, and the author (Jamie Kitman) is a VERY knowledgable and multi-talented individual.

About the author:

(taken from "Nation")

Jamie Lincoln Kitman, New York bureau chief for Automobile Magazine, won an investigative reporting award from Investigative Reporters and Editors for his Nation article on leaded gasoline. A member of the Society of Automotive Historians, Jamie Lincoln Kitman drives a 1966 Lancia Fulvia and a 1969 Ford Lotus-Cortina, both of which run fine on unleaded.

He's also studied law and has managed a slew of rock bands, among them The Ordinaires, They Might Be Giants, The La's, The Beautiful South, Meat Puppets, Yo La Tengo, Band of Weeds, Pere Ubu, Violent Femmes, Chainsaw Kittens, etc.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #40
I joined the Band!

Quote:
That's interesting, thanks for the recommendation! I do love reading so when I have free time, I always read something. However, I am really bad at writing. I don't know why but sometimes I can't even write a sentence. At the university, I usually applied to Cheap Paper Writing Service to get a perfect essay.

Last edited by Lesorivel; 07-01-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Lesorivel is offline   Reply With Quote

Book Recomendations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your recomendations? The-Blacksheep Axial SCX-10 8 02-05-2012 07:15 PM
recomendations?? George014 Electronics 12 11-24-2011 12:49 AM
servo recomendations??????? rocketguy Newbie General 15 02-22-2010 09:43 PM
Need some help/recomendations WK Joe Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 12-12-2008 11:34 PM
Equipment recomendations.... redster Newbie General 1 10-22-2006 02:35 PM