Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: I gave up social media, best idea ever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I gave up social media, best idea ever

trashy pants has a mutual friend with me. Mario, a fellow crawler enthusiast of the scale type.

I only use social media (facebook) to keep in contact with family members or very good friends no matter how far away they are. all of my friends have a similar interest just as I do.

dump social media.. and one day you might regret not getting the warning you needed to know.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

My wife has her facebook still, I stand by my original statement. I am happier not involved with it. If I were to go back in business of course I would use it for that, but Im retired at this point. I only do small scale development for friends' business websites if anything these days. I get that some of you value it highly, but I simply do not. To me its a very superficial platform that is not worth the spam and targeted advertising that they constantly battle with adblock to force me to see. As for staying connected with friends and family, the friends and family that cared / mattered have my number and we text or talk regularly. I grew up in the 90s back when we only had AIM and email to communicate on the computer. I dont need to know what you cooked for dinner, or that you think X about Donald Trump, or that you are listening to X sound etc etc etc.

As for warnings, Im not sure what you mean. If its a national disaster type thing, I have a weather app for that. If something major is going down Ill hear about it or will notice it on youtubes' trending / news listing Im a curmudgeonly old hermit who is happy spending more time with my wife, children, and close friends and family. Getting rid of social media didnt affect that, it enhanced it. I used to be very active on social media debating topics and trying to sway people towards what I thought were good ideals or actions for them. People dont listen and they dont want to listen. Its all just wasted efforts.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Never did any of the social media, i do a few forums, then i do youtube but dont know why any of my stuff are public, and then i lately joined tumbler to have a place to share pictures from.

I have 1 friend, and a little bit of my family i see or would like to see.

Its been 30 years since i had a girlfriend, but only as i never met one i can put the level of trust in like i would a friend ( to me a girlfriend / wife are a friend with some additional perks )

so most of my life i have been let down by people that would like to take all i have, but not really give something back, and so i am fairly apprehensive abut new people, but i also know if you dont meet new people you have no chance of meeting the right ones.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
Never did any of the social media, i do a few forums, then i do youtube but dont know why any of my stuff are public, and then i lately joined tumbler to have a place to share pictures from.

I have 1 friend, and a little bit of my family i see or would like to see.

Its been 30 years since i had a girlfriend, but only as i never met one i can put the level of trust in like i would a friend ( to me a girlfriend / wife are a friend with some additional perks )

so most of my life i have been let down by people that would like to take all i have, but not really give something back, and so i am fairly apprehensive abut new people, but i also know if you dont meet new people you have no chance of meeting the right ones.
Im much the same. My wife is my best friend. People value knowing too many too highly in my opinion. Life is easier to manage with less vampires waiting to suck you dry.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
hehe.... It would have been gold to see her face when she realized her son has turned down her friends request.
I told her to her face about 10 minutes after I did it. She laughed. She knows my phone number and where I live so communication is easy.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I told her to her face about 10 minutes after I did it. She laughed. She knows my phone number and where I live so communication is easy.
My mom would always tag me in those damned chain letter type posts anyway. Drove me mad
Old 06-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Im much the same. My wife is my best friend. People value knowing too many too highly in my opinion. Life is easier to manage with less vampires waiting to suck you dry.
I have very few friends, but I know without a doubt that they would be there for me when & if I need it. It seems people value quantity over quality...

That’s the one thing I really hate about social media, the “need” that have “friends.” I mean, it’s nice to see your numbers grow but if it’s dictatimg your mood, then you have a problem.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobCrawler View Post
I have very few friends, but I know without a doubt that they would be there for me when & if I need it. It seems people value quantity over quality...

That’s the one thing I really hate about social media, the “need” that have “friends.” I mean, it’s nice to see your numbers grow but if it’s dictatimg your mood, then you have a problem.
There is even a new classification in the psychology diagnostic books for disorders caused by the false feeling of friendship attributed to social media and how depressing it is when you realize you have all these "friends" and no real connections with them.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:20 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I gave up cable tv, movies and hollywood in general years ago, both of my local newspapers, and last year gave up on the NFL after 35 years of fandom.

I don't miss any of it, not one bit.

I also don't tweet (hell no), don't instagram, don't snapchat, and use FB very sparingly - mostly to keep up with family. I tried the Axial and TRX4 groups, but it just hurts my brain. I may be a former IT guy, but I absolutely loathe the new social media revolution. I think it's tearing the country apart in a lot of ways.

I am more than happy being in the basement wrenching away while the world burns.

Last edited by OSRC; 06-05-2018 at 06:23 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I gave up cable tv, movies and hollywood in general years ago, both of my local newspapers, and last year gave up on the NFL after 35 years of fandom.

I don't miss any of it, not one bit.

I also don't tweet (hell no), don't instagram, don't snapchat, and use FB very sparingly - mostly to keep up with family. I tried the Axial and TRX4 groups, but it just hurts my brain. I may be a former IT guy, but I absolutely loathe the new social media revolution. I think it's tearing the country apart in a lot of ways.

I am more than happy being in the basement wrenching away while the world burns.
Also a great point. I gave up cable tv in 2007.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #31
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Social media isn't toxic. The people on social media can be toxic. So maybe you need to cut certain people out of your social media or life rather than social media itself.
This.

A person can tailor their social media feeds however they want. I culled my herd deeply a year or so ago, and while there isn't a whole lot to look at on a daily basis, what is there is more meaningful. No news, no politics, no trolls, no toxic drama junkies. Just a few friends and family members, and some stuff that makes me laugh. Quality over quantity.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
This.

A person can tailor their social media feeds however they want. I culled my herd deeply a year or so ago, and while there isn't a whole lot to look at on a daily basis, what is there is more meaningful. No news, no politics, no trolls, no toxic drama junkies. Just a few friends and family members, and some stuff that makes me laugh. Quality over quantity.
Before I decided to delete my facebook I had it trimmed down to only 10 people. Didnt stop facebook from spamming me with news I didnt want to see, and ads for products I wasnt going to buy.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #33
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Before I decided to delete my facebook I had it trimmed down to only 10 people. Didnt stop facebook from spamming me with news I didnt want to see, and ads for products I wasnt going to buy.
I see big signs on the side of the road for things I'm not interested in, but I still drive around.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I see big signs on the side of the road for things I'm not interested in, but I still drive around.
Meh, to each their own. I use ad block and pay attention to the road when I drive.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:08 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I actively avoid roads with advertising if possible. The back roads are usually a lot more fun now that I have the suspension on the car dialed in.

I don't fakebook, twatter, sell my soul on Instagram or anything else. I do forums. That's it. I don't care to be part of the hive mind retardedness. It's basically all garbage made to get your attention. Worthless in every way. I'll spend my time outside or doing something useful rather than my nose stuffed in my phone. The loss of the ability to think for yourself is rather impressive and very concerning.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #36
RCC Addict

I quit all my social media 4 years ago and haven’t turned back. Other than all the local groups posting events on Facebook I’m good with it. My life has been solid without it. I also just do forums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:38 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Never had a twitter account (it's full of twits) and culled my FB list down to family and close friends. I maintain an account there simply because certain events only show up there (Blue Rock G6 for example) I've come to realize that I don't need to know what everyone is doing or thinking every day.

Social media is ripping this country apart imo.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:16 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
This.

^^^This. I cut my FB down to things I am actively engaged in. I culled my friend list down to people that I've actually interacted with in person. Friends that go off the deep end, politically, get snoozed or muted. The only news site I follow is my local affiliate. It all makes for a better experience.

As for Twitter, IG, ect... No thanks.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #39
Slow is the new Fast

I have chosen not to engage on social media platforms. I have no interest in far and away the majority of what is being shared there. It has been my observation that it brings out the worse in way too many people. I have lost a lot of respect for people who should have remained nothing but acquaintances in my life. Also, I am generally a private person and see no need to unnecessarily put my opinions and views on display as if they hold some righteous value that everyone need see.

I am definitely old school. When I was growing up Vanity was a word that carried a negative connotation. One that no one wanted be associated to. Today folks celebrate Vanity with selfie sticks and self aggrandizing social media posts. I don't get it. What ever happened to humility?

I enjoy having the web as a tool but as far as communication goes, I will, as mentioned above, stick to topic specific forums.

Long Live RCC!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
....It has been my observation that it brings out the worse in way too many people.....
So many people forget the golden rule - never say something to someone online that you would never say to their face.

I gave up social media, best idea ever - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gave away my XR-10 hootie Colorado 4 09-04-2010 10:53 PM
Finally Gave in and Bought a Slash... and gave it some Monster Energy flair Lumpmister Non Crawler RC's 9 07-13-2008 01:10 PM
gave them one last try GeoffSFAs10 General Crawlers 14 06-14-2006 08:11 PM