Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: I gave up social media, best idea ever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I gave up social media, best idea ever

Dropped social media in the shitter like a steaming pile of crap 3 or so years ago. Best thing I did in along time.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #42
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
So many people forget the golden rule - never say something to someone online that you would never say to their face.
amen!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:12 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

I think there's still a mySpace page out there with nuthin' but a handful pics of about half-a-dozen motorcycles that I owned in the past, old-fashioned computer newsgroups not allowing pics was the only reason I created it.

Otherwise, never done any social media - mountain biking and r/c forums are it for me.

Too old for that sh*t.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:20 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I gave up cable tv, movies and hollywood in general years ago, both of my local newspapers, and last year gave up on the NFL after 35 years of fandom.

I don't miss any of it, not one bit.

I also don't tweet (hell no), don't instagram, don't snapchat, I absolutely loathe the new social media revolution. I think it's tearing the country apart in a lot of ways.

I am more than happy being in the basement wrenching away while the world burns.
Check, Check, Check, and Check
vinnieb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:31 AM   #45
I joined the Band!

Default Re: ≈ best idea ever

Actually, I don't spend much time on social media. However, I do like online dating. Recently I came across onenightfriend reviews and decided to give it a try. I am single for a long time so I consider I am ready for serious relationships. What are your thoughts on online dating, guys?

Last edited by Lesorivel; 06-07-2021 at 08:01 AM.
Lesorivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

I only have ever had Instagram for my Honey business and I only deal with people and things in real time live in person its easier for me and keeps the unnecessary drama from my life..... Even here on this forum for fun RC cars there are some individuals that want to start rifts and really its all jealousy, im in awe on this forum over other peoples RC projects and learning from there experiences and commiserating and having fun and ill always appreciate all the help and comments! So thanks to all the great people here on RC Crawler that I have communicated with and hope to maybe meet one day in person.... BUZZZZZZZ.....
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #47
RCC Addict

I gave up FB for a long time, reactivated it to get some pictures from my account and left it on but deleted everyone I don't share a last name with. My dad added me to a couple dirt bike groups since I'm getting back into riding but I'm about to drop all those due to all the pissing and moaning about everything. I really wish people would quit using it as the only platform to announce events. Seems like every local race track, RC group and car show organizer has ditched their actual website in favor of a poorly laid out FB page.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Kid View Post
I gave up FB for a long time, reactivated it to get some pictures from my account and left it on but deleted everyone I don't share a last name with. My dad added me to a couple dirt bike groups since I'm getting back into riding but I'm about to drop all those due to all the pissing and moaning about everything. I really wish people would quit using it as the only platform to announce events. Seems like every local race track, RC group and car show organizer has ditched their actual website in favor of a poorly laid out FB page.
BUZZZZ TRIKE . I agree the one thing that I don't understand is why many entities like RC Hobbies and many others only use social media to communicate and for me who is not FB Or TW your completely left out and the only way to connect or even participate is through the social network!! So glad to hear more similar voices on this issue..... BUZZZZZZ.......
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #49
Gold Star Baby!

I think social media is a great thing if you’re able to set boundaries with it. The tiny truck community on Instagram is pretty rad. Facebook is a shit show but manageable. I just unfollow anyone that insists on posting political or “stir the pot”, drama seeking stuff, and have been able to enjoy a pretty consistent stream of 99% tiny truck content between Facebook and Instagram.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

I do use You Tube and Face Book to follow off road racing and events. The ones I subscribe too are BITD' Best In The Desert and SCORE INTERNATIONAL for the off road racing which are live streamed. Ultra4 Racing for King of The Hammers and rock climbing events. Live racing this weekend from Oklahoma Nationals. Otherwise I cut the cable several years ago and watch over the air TV. Local Phoenix channels and MeTV for Saturday night Svengoolie SyFy movies.

Hanging onto internet so I can check in here to see what's happening in my favorite hobby.
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Wow…bunch of recluses here LOL
I’m an early adopter and IT professional and zero presence on social media. I have nothing for it and it has nothing for me.

I think there are media people and then forum and blog and data people. I think social media lets needy people feel connected. About 75% of both genders are extroverted, and it feeds that proclivity for dialog and chatter. Lots of “look at me”.

I think people tend to over-share if there’s an avenue for it. And lots of people looking for their five minutes of fame. Enamored by celebrity status. Pfft.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:59 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Never been on face-book, nor twitter, insta, etc, etc. I wouldn't know where to begin. But i'm old. I dunno where I'd be with all of this if I was a lot younger but at my age I don't feel the need to connect with anyone in that capacity. My sister however... bugs me all the time that I need to be on facebook so that I can keep up with family... the same family that I haven't been in touch with since I was a kid... no thanks, I'm good.

It also helps that I don't have internet on my phone lol. I use my phone for talk/ text and that's about it. Everything else I do from home on my PC. I know that I prob miss out on a lot but I still have no desire to be connected to the world 24/7 via my phone/ social media. And with my wreck-it-ralph hands and poor eyesight, I can't imagine trying to clearly see and type, swipe, etc on a little bitty phone screen.

Lotta times i don't even take my phone with me when I'm working outside or when I leave home. To me it's just normal behavior to not be tethered to my phone but people get pissed like I'm ignoring them or like I'm weird for not having it with me all the time or like I'm lying that I don't always have my phone on me lol.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:07 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I think social media is a great thing if you’re able to set boundaries with it. The tiny truck community on Instagram is pretty rad. Facebook is a shit show but manageable. I just unfollow anyone that insists on posting political or “stir the pot”, drama seeking stuff, and have been able to enjoy a pretty consistent stream of 99% tiny truck content between Facebook and Instagram.
Exactly. It’s all about if you control it or it controls you. I give myself a few hours in the morning to peruse Instagram, the only account I have. I enjoy it a lot & have met some cool people from all over the world because of it.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:58 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Just wanted to put this out there in the aether. I quit social media 3 months ago, and also stopped watching / reading news and paying attention to politics. To my surprise(sarcasm) turns out the world kept on turning and Im making as much of a difference now as I was then(none).

I have been in an overall better general mood since doing this. Sure, I talk with less people now, but most of those people were superficial "friends" who just wanted more numbers on their friend count to somehow feel connected to people who really dont care. I recommend everyone drop social media and start talking to their family. I still talk to friends too, we just use this archaic method of communication called phone calls and texting.

So thats it. Social media is toxic, and cutting it from my life has been quite freeing. Give it a try!

Agreed and awesome that you did it! As the second post noted RCC is social media, but in a different way...FB, Twitter all that crap is toxic waste of time. Now where's the dang ol like button???

Don't really care about playing with cellphone all the time either as HighPlainsDrifter pointed out, this all leads to a generally less stressed life. When I forget my cellphone at home, I'm generally more relaxed.

Last edited by Natedog; 10-25-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Where does one start in order to find and interact with the Instagram tiny truck community? I know that our forums are on life support, and it was nice having everything in one place. I would like to participate in something like that, and certainly can't find it on FB. FB seems good for finding clubs and what not, but not for builds and a good exchange of info and support like RCC and other forums provided in the past.

FYI, I am not on Instagram and have never used it. I am technologically savvy, just don't really do social media other than my tiny FB interaction.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Where does one start in order to find and interact with the Instagram tiny truck community? I know that our forums are on life support, and it was nice having everything in one place. I would like to participate in something like that, and certainly can't find it on FB. FB seems good for finding clubs and what not, but not for builds and a good exchange of info and support like RCC and other forums provided in the past.

FYI, I am not on Instagram and have never used it. I am technologically savvy, just don't really do social media other than my tiny FB interaction.
I just started an Instagram page, gave it an rc related name(which helps a lot, especially if you are going to be private, and I just started posting pics of my trucks and builds. Using hashtags helps a lot, and in a few months, I was up to 400 followers(not like that's relevant) Also following a lot of people helps get you out there.

Im sure there's other/better ways, but that's what worked for me. I wasn't concerned about followers, I was just having a good time posting shots of my trucks.

And FWIW, FB seems to be the leader here. Our FB group has over 100 members and that's where I get all my local crawler content from.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:52 PM   #57

Dropped it almost 3yrs ago, zero regrets. When folks ask me to connect on any of the platforms and laugh that I'm not connected, I instantly feel sorry for them and try to stir memories of how much better the world was prior to know the status of everyones fake vacations.
TheMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:20 PM   #58
RCC Addict

<--- 'hits the invisible "like" button'.

Same place that I wound up with people like my sister and really all of the family it seems. She lives many states away and I last Christmas I made her a list of all the smells and tastes that I remembered as a kid. Sounds weird I know but after I emailed it to her, I had her read it over the phone and most of those memories she remembered too... which was obviously what I was hoping for. I think the one that got to her the most... that she'd forgot was where I mentioned the small of our Dada's jean jacket... That I remembered the sweat and sawdust and motor oil. And that it made me feel safe as a kid. Like it was the aroma of strength. She all at once said that she remembered it too... cried of course lol.

But without being hooked up to FB or IG, etc... I don't know anything about what the family does. Really a shame people can't pick up the phone and call. FB is really the main way that they stay in touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMark View Post
Dropped it almost 3yrs ago, zero regrets. When folks ask me to connect on any of the platforms and laugh that I'm not connected, I instantly feel sorry for them and try to stir memories of how much better the world was prior to know the status of everyones fake vacations.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:11 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

I have Email / Watsup / YouTube / LinkedIn / TaPaTaLk

Nothing else

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk
BP6666VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #60
RCC Addict

A wakeup call...

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

I gave up social media, best idea ever - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gave away my XR-10 hootie Colorado 4 09-04-2010 10:53 PM
Finally Gave in and Bought a Slash... and gave it some Monster Energy flair Lumpmister Non Crawler RC's 9 07-13-2008 01:10 PM
gave them one last try GeoffSFAs10 General Crawlers 14 06-14-2006 08:11 PM