Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Harley equals ELECTRIC ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Harley equals ELECTRIC ??

Harley Davidson going electric ?? What ?
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...motorcycl.aspx

What a trip , on FB it said they trying to get the millennials on board ??? Seems like a lousy plan.
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Harley equals ELECTRIC ??

It will work in the favor of Harley Davidson.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Harley doesn't sell bikes anymore anyway. They sell an image attached to a giant product line. It is not unheard of for people to buy a new harley and roll an entire new wardrobe into the loan. $50k for a bike and some tacky clothing is ridiculous but it makes sense to the people dumb enough to buy the bikes anyway.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Harley doesn't sell bikes anymore anyway. They sell an image attached to a giant product line. It is not unheard of for people to buy a new harley and roll an entire new wardrobe into the loan. $50k for a bike and some tacky clothing is ridiculous but it makes sense to the people dumb enough to buy the bikes anyway.
You're either an ex moto guy yourself, or the only non moto person I've ever encountered who gets this.

It's the funniest shit I've ever seen too. Every dentist, doctor, lawyer, etc (let's face it, they're the only one's that can afford top of the line Hardley Ablesons any more) flock here every May to October on the same bikes, all dressed in the same gear, to weave, wobble, and quite a few fall down, because they're rebels dammit! Most have never ridden any other motorcycle, and definitely never been through a curve in their lives. I have literally watched these idiots lean into a corner, their expensive chrome starts dragging, and they'll stand that bike up and run wide into the oncoming lane ever single time.

I haven't met an actual motorcycle rider that chooses to own a Hardley in ages.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Imported bikes actually cost close to or that much in India.I don't support such ridiculous prices but people with a lot of money do buy, because for them money is just a medium to their percieved happiness.

I would like to buy a Triumph Tiger XRT or XCA, but it cost 22k USD. I will prefer to put that money in a new VMC.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
You're either an ex moto guy yourself, or the only non moto person I've ever encountered who gets this.

It's the funniest shit I've ever seen too. Every dentist, doctor, lawyer, etc (let's face it, they're the only one's that can afford top of the line Hardley Ablesons any more) flock here every May to October on the same bikes, all dressed in the same gear, to weave, wobble, and quite a few fall down, because they're rebels dammit! Most have never ridden any other motorcycle, and definitely never been through a curve in their lives. I have literally watched these idiots lean into a corner, their expensive chrome starts dragging, and they'll stand that bike up and run wide into the oncoming lane ever single time.

This is actually at the core of why Harley is going away from its core, the bikes it currently sells are mainly being bought by the older demographic, and they are really not attracting younger customers the way the other bike makers are. That is why they are making an electric bike, a Enduro-style bike, and plans for a crotch-rocket.

Plus, Harley is in a pickle right now, they want to change their image without changing their image. It goes back to the old joke, "What is the difference between a Hoover and a Harley? The Hoover carries the dirtbag on the inside." Harley very much wants to keep the rough-biker image, but Harley knows it is this image that is driving away a lot of customers. Don't know how they'll solve it.

I know a lot of guys that ride, many of them Harleys, and they just look silly. They dress up in VERY EXPENSIVE leather riding gear that is made to look worn, and they think makes them look tough, and they pretty much just hop from bar to bar.

I don't ride anymore (street, I ride ATVs), to me getting around on two-wheels is just too dangerous, too many people driving out there driving 70mhp with their eyes on their phones instead of on the road. If I did get another bike it would likely be a Spyder, a bit more stable and a bit more machine around you.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Harley riders are a funny lot. I ride an FZ-07 and I don't know what it is about them. They never wave. Either they are too scared to take a hand off the bars for a second or they think all other brand riders are below them. I don't know. I gotten to the point if I see a cruiser, I'm not waving unless they wave first. It's funny the "crotch rocket" riders with extended swing arms will throw you a wave across a 4 lane highway around here but the Harley guys won't even acknowledge you existence.

The new Street Fighter they are showing looks interesting. I wonder if it will have the balls to back the looks?
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Just told the Hoover joke to my buddy, who just bought a Harley. I got a LMAO, and a GEEZ as a reply. I’ve only ever ridden 4 motorbikes in my entire life, and everyone of them has wobbled, and I feel like I’m gonna die...everytime. I also has A.T.Vs.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post

I almost fell victim to it. I rode street my whole life...got my license just to get my m/c endorsement...but never could afford a Harley. When I sewed on tech sergeant I said screw it, I'm getting one. Almost signed on a $26k Heritage Softtail and then had a "wtf am I doing??" moment and left it there.

Bought a new Honda instead for less than $8k and kept my existing wardrobe.

Like Greatscott said, no way in hell I'd ride now surrounded by mental midgets.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
Harley Davidson going electric ?? What ?
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...motorcycl.aspx

What a trip , on FB it said they trying to get the millennials on board ??? Seems like a lousy plan.

They need to do just that, their core market is getting old and will die, they need to bring us younger people (for the record, I'm 42 and don't ride) into the fold and catering to boomers who want to cosplay as badass bikers is coming back to bite them in the ass, as are the "customers" that would do things like cut the tires on bikes they don't like, even ones that are also Harleys.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I almost fell victim to it. I rode street my whole life...got my license just to get my m/c endorsement...but never could afford a Harley. When I sewed on tech sergeant I said screw it, I'm getting one. Almost signed on a $26k Heritage Softtail and then had a "wtf am I doing??" moment and left it there.

Bought a new Honda instead for less than $8k and kept my existing wardrobe.

Like Greatscott said, no way in hell I'd ride now surrounded by mental midgets.
I was strongly considering a few different bikes that were offered to me at pretty good prices, but in the end I figured best not to bother. Waaaay too many idiots on our roads, I know lots of bikers and pretty much all of them have been taken down.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
I was strongly considering a few different bikes that were offered to me at pretty good prices, but in the end I figured best not to bother. Waaaay too many idiots on our roads, I know lots of bikers and pretty much all of them have been taken down.
This is ultimately why I hung up the leathers last year. Sold all my gear with the bike so that there was no temptation. If there was a track close by, it'd have been different.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I never understood this particular type of mid life crisis. Buying a fancy sports car makes some sense because you can drive it in any weather and you dont have to rick race it around. Maybe its because a lot of my family have motorcycles, and every one of them has had near fatal accidents, I have never liked the idea of a motorcycle on safety alone. Add in the big name brands like Harley sell the damn things for the price of a car and to me you coulda just bought a dirt bike or quad and had more fun with it. The clothing thing is hilarious for sure. Anytime I see someone in all leather I think of Rocky Horror Picture show and BDSM queers in parades. The Harley people do love their parades.........Coincidence?!?!?!
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Sound good to me, just hope they get it done in time to save my hearing, cuz i swear to any deity of your choosing that only 1 out of 10 Harley's i hear here have stock exhaust system, and i am so sick and tired of those f..s and their noise.
Okay not that drivers of crotch rockets are any better, its pissing me off turning me into a even more grumpy old man.
I have developed a new way to salute them, what i do is put my little fingers in my ears and extend my middle fingers towards the sky, look just as silly as they sound.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #15

I'm an anti-Harley guy just like I'm an anti-Glock and anti-Colt guy because of the owners. I don't mind the products, but I hate most of the owners. They think the only real motorcycle, or gun, is made by their preferred brand. That's fanboi-ism to the extreme. The sad thing is that all of the brands, yes, including Harley make good products, but they don't justify the extra cost or the hype. The competition is just as good if not better. Nobody in the world can touch Harley in terms of paint and aesthetics. And on a tech sheet they look far behind the competition, but when it comes down to it that doesn't matter much on a cruiser. The outrageous pricing is the real killer. But in lowering price that means Harley would be admitting they aren't special so that's not going to happen until they have no other option left.

Harley was built up by their fanbois, and the motorcycle boom that came earlier this decade when yuppies bought top of the line hogs and dropped Honda Civic type money on a motorcycle. The rich, trend followers quickly bailed out when they realized they couldn't or didn't want to ride. Now all Harley has left is the aging biker douchebags and hipsters. Harley continues to make outdated, air-cooled motors because of the douchebags. They resist change. They don't want water cooling. They don't want better balance and less vibrations inside the motor. They want the potato potato sound. So the same guys that helped build Harley are now killing them.

New motorcyclists aren't being born as often as they used to. Millennials are either afraid of motorcycles, too busy combing their hipster hair instead of going outside, or pretending to be green in their electric BS of a vehicle. That's why motorcycling, as a whole is dying. The one standout, that I'm aware of, is Indian. They are doing what people want Harley to do and they are kicking ass and taking names. Indian is even kicking Harley's ass in flat track racing which is something Harley has long dominated.

Anytime motorcycles come up in any conversation the inherent danger is mentioned. I think it's laughable. Life is too short for me to not be doing something I love because of the what-ifs. Car accidents kill people every single day and depending on the age bracket they are one of the top killers. Nobody bats an eye getting into their car and doing 70MPH+ on a highway. The hypocrisy is what I find funny.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Wow these comments are surprising! Maybe I just misunderstand the demographic that uses this forum, but I wouldn't have thought so many people would be against them. The Harley brand must really be in trouble. No wonder they're finally trying new things.

For the record, I have the same problems with Harley's brand image and clientele that others have mentioned. If they didn't change course, they would have deserved the slow death they were heading towards. Having said that, I think the new designs look pretty good. Whether or not they could convince me or any other non-Harley rider to actually buy one will depend a lot on pricing.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
Slow is the new Fast

Harley Davidson, Tattooing, ghetto slang, surf culture... all fill the suburban families home. Economy is mans religion whether he acknowledges it or not. We all abide by its path.

As a result the authenticity of all things cool gets threatened eventually. It's always painful when it's something close to your soul.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #18
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I wouldn't buy a harley newer than the 60s. If I'm going to own a bike that needs a lot of attention and doesn't perform well, it's going to be a classic.

These comments are all on point about the Harley image and customer. Both of my uncles owned harleys. One was a state patrol officer, had an early make shovel head in creme/blue. Worked on it himself after he retired. My other uncle was a lawyer and judge. Had a brand new 90s harley that I never cared to ask about. All the shiny bits, all the fancy leather, and he never worked on it himself. I also had a step dad who was a "real" biker, member of Macon chapter hells angels MC. He didn't need to wear a jacket to know it, it was tatted on his arms and head. Rode an old Harley he kept running himself. Both the real bikers and the lawyer generation is getting old and their kids are not buying new harleys.

Getting into the electric realm is good for them. It's probably the only way they will make a dependable bike I would want to buy. If course, I don't have 30 or 40k to blow on a new bike, but at least they are doing something that could appeal to my generation that wants nothing to do with any of their new bikes.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Harley Davidson, Tattooing, ghetto slang, surf culture... all fill the suburban families home. Economy is mans religion whether he acknowledges it or not. We all abide by its path.

As a result the authenticity of all things cool gets threatened eventually. It's always painful when it's something close to your soul.
Damn, that's deep.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Harley is really reaching out there, with a new "Adventure" bike in the works. That's another group that I have mixed feelings about, it seems like the same mid-lifers that would have been buying OCC choppers 10-15 years ago are now wanting a different image of overweight offroad world traveler, complete with wale foreskin riding suits, and tents with bike garages. I thought BMW already had that market cornered!

Then again, I could totally see Ponch on this: https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-da...following-2019
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Harley equals ELECTRIC ?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Harley-Davidson C*H*U*D Chit Chat 17 06-20-2014 11:37 PM
Employment equals good bustedcrawler Chit Chat 11 06-24-2005 10:31 AM