Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Guitars & other musical instruments...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Guitars & other musical instruments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
That inlay looks fantastic.
I'm not into gothic anything but the abalone cross inlays seem to work on this guitar pretty well. I like that they chose vibrantly-colored specimens as opposed to ones more subdued and lackluster. Speaking of which, I've always wanted to dye this fret-board black to make them pop even more and to further compliment all the black hardware but not sure if it's worth risking the potential damage.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #62
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I'm not into gothic anything but the abalone cross inlays seem to work on this guitar pretty well.
If it works, it works.

On a related note, I think I'm going to dip my toe into home recording. Any recommendations on an interface? Wanting to stay in the $100ish or less range for now.

All of the software will be of the "free" variety.

What I've compiled as of last night:

DAW - Tracktion 7
Drums - MT Power Drum kit 2
Amp sim- Ignite Emissary

Still need to hunt down a cabinet simulator and some effects plugins, and see if/how I can stack them in T7.

My Line6 practice amp has a line/record out socket on it, so I imagine I could play through that for tone/effects if I wanted to.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

I have a mAudio M-Track, but I've heard good things about this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-scarlett-solo

For a free DAW, I would recommend Reaper:
https://www.reaper.fm

For sims, Redwire and Ownhammer have some freebies.
http://www.redwirez.com/freecab-done.jsp

https://www.ownhammer.com/store/inde...roducts_id=411

I'll get back on an IR loader...

Last edited by skinnyj; 09-18-2018 at 08:07 PM.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #64
Suck it up!

I was looking at the Solo2. Seems like a sweet little box. Behringer makes one with less features for about half the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MVI6ZWQL&psc=1

This site has a literal crap ton of plugins, both free and otherwise.

https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/win...popular/start0
Old 09-18-2018, 11:43 PM   #65
RCC Addict

For someone new to this, I'd recommend Logic on Mac or Reaper on a PC. Reaper is a capable DAW if you're willing to take some time to learn it. GarageBand has some good features as well but on Logic it's much easier.

All recording software has a learning curve but basically operate the same way: Create the track, select an input, arm it, and record. After that it's about plugins and automation. Punch-ins and outs and then into the mixing and mastering.

The software is relatively easy... It's the I/O that can be frustrating on PC. On the Mac, everything works as soon as you plug it in so it's good for beginners. An Apogee interface will plug in and simultaneously record all the channels you'll ever need at the same time.

On the PC there can be clocking issues when multiple-channel recording is taking place and unless you run a universal clock, things can get a little sketchy.

Pro tools is a bit dated but still effective.

Whichever DAW you choose, there are hundreds of YouTube tutorials on how to accomplish what it its you're trying to do.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #66
Pebble Pounder

This is the IR loader I use:
Download Free Cabinet impulse loader plug-in: LeCab2 by LePou

That download site (vst4free) has a ton of plugins.

As for that Behringer interface, that is a small amount to take a flyer on, but Behringer's stuff is very "get what you pay for".

I loved Reaper until it just stopped running on my PC for whatever reason.

I currently use Mixcraft 8. I can't remember which version I have, but it was ~$80 on sale. That's pretty short money for a feature-laden DAW.

Mixcraft 8

Also, pop for a decent set of monitors, like this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tudio-monitors

Just make sure your interface and your monitors have the same I/Os so you don't have to mess with adapters. Some monitors have both RCA and 1/4", which makes things easier.

Last edited by skinnyj; 09-19-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #67
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
This is the IR loader I use:
Download Free Cabinet impulse loader plug-in: LeCab2 by LePou

That download site (vst4free) has a ton of plugins.
Downloaded. Thank you sir.

I remember trying all of this 15 or so years ago. Things have come a long, long way since then. Hoo-rah!

Quote:
As for that Behringer interface, that is a small amount to take a flyer on, but Behringer's stuff is very "get what you pay for".

Also, pop for a decent set of monitors....
I'm going to take a chance on the cheap option. Not too much harm done if it turns out to be crap. If I were a little more sure, I'd snag the Solo2.

Monitors will come, but for now, headphones.

Plus I need to offload some rc stuff before I get too deep. Can't have too many hobbies at once.

Quote:
I loved Reaper until it just stopped running on my PC for whatever reason.
Last I checked (yesterday) you could get a 60 day free trial, then you had to pony up for the licence to keep using it.

Quote:
Just make sure your interface and your monitors have the same I/Os so you don't have to mess with adapters. Some monitors have both RCA and 1/4", which makes things easier.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #68
Suck it up!

Fun glitch with T7 - trying to drag/drop a small assemblage of drum riffs in 6/8 gives you 10,000 (+/-) bars per riff, 99% of which is silence.

A 6 section riff = 60k bars. What. Da. Fawk.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If it works, it works.

On a related note, I think I'm going to dip my toe into home recording. Any recommendations on an interface? Wanting to stay in the $100ish or less range for now.

All of the software will be of the "free" variety.

What I've compiled as of last night:

DAW - Tracktion 7
Drums - MT Power Drum kit 2
Amp sim- Ignite Emissary

Still need to hunt down a cabinet simulator and some effects plugins, and see if/how I can stack them in T7.

My Line6 practice amp has a line/record out socket on it, so I imagine I could play through that for tone/effects if I wanted to.
Line 6 has some affordable cool interfaces, with decent sounds/effects/cabs/mic's
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Last I checked (yesterday) you could get a 60 day free trial, then you had to pony up for the licence to keep using it.

Up until it decided to stop working, Reaper had functioned on my PC for years without paying them anything. You will find that it will function beyond the 60 day trial. Also, $60 for a pretty decent DAW is peanuts considering software like Pro-Tools goes for $700+.

If you want to get a little spendy, this is a really good deal and kills 3 birds with one stone: modeling pre-amp, interface and Pro Tools:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ro-tools-first
Old 09-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #71
Suck it up!

I'm not adverse to spending money if I need to, I just want to play around first to make sure I'm not wasting it on something that could end up being short lived.

I'll give Reaper another look.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #72
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm not adverse to spending money if I need to, I just want to play around first to make sure I'm not wasting it on something that could end up being short lived.

I'll give Reaper another look.
I just did a little digging. They used to include Pro-Tools w/ ElevenRack. Now it is "Pro-Tools First", which is a free version of it's big brother. I have read mixed things about PTF, but it also a free download from AVID, so you can take a look at that, as well.

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first
Old 09-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #73
Suck it up!

Downloaded Reaper last night and played around a little. Still had the same issue with the drum sim, though I hit a new high score with 300k bars. Clearly something I'm doing is way, way wrong. It's been a long, tiring week, so hopefully I'll do better this weekend with a clear head.

Monday I should have an interface to play with. Got a scratch-and-dent deal on a Behringer UMC22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
Line 6 has some affordable cool interfaces, with decent sounds/effects/cabs/mic's
Meh. I've got a Line 6 amp, and it's effects are ok.

Several months ago I bought a Donner 3-in-1 overdrive/chorus/delay pedal that sounds way better. I run it through the clean channel (boosted) and like it very much.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Downloaded Reaper last night and played around a little. Still had the same issue with the drum sim, though I hit a new high score with 300k bars. Clearly something I'm doing is way, way wrong. It's been a long, tiring week, so hopefully I'll do better this weekend with a clear head.

Monday I should have an interface to play with. Got a scratch-and-dent deal on a Behringer UMC22.

Meh. I've got a Line 6 amp, and it's effects are ok.

Several months ago I bought a Donner 3-in-1 overdrive/chorus/delay pedal that sounds way better. I run it through the clean channel (boosted) and like it very much.
Nice, the Donner looks interesting.
I hear ya on the line 6, I have owned a few combo's. I think the tones that come with their interface are better, more variety, adjustability, you can play with where the effects go in the chain. You can even choose where you place the mic in front of whatever cab you choose.
Lately I'm liking my Boss RV500, for deep reverbs with some delay, cool ambient stuff.

Have fun
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:29 PM   #75
Suck it up!

People like to rag on the Line 6 combos, and while they aren't often wrong, they are misplaced. A low wattage practice amp isn't going to come loaded with world class effects... that would be a waste of time. World class players aren't their target audience.

I once got to play through a Mesa Boogie full stack tube amp ran through a rack mounted effects chain and it was amazing. As unskilled as I was, pretty much everything I tried to play sounded epic (at least to me it did). It was also really, really expensive, and I wasn't allowed to touch any of it...lol. Compared to that, the little 15w combo I currently play though is complete crap. But, it serves it's purpose at a price point I can afford. The MB rig would be wasted on me.

The Donner pedal (Alpha something or other) has an overdrive that falls between the Dirty and Metal presets on the 6. More importantly, it has an independent chorus and a delay. The 6 has those too, but they are permanently mixed with other effects and sound awful to me.

I've been watching a lot of Rick Beato on YouTube. He's got a series called "what makes this song great" where he pulls a song apart and goes through all the intruments and vocals, and how certain tones are achieved. Really interesting stuff.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #76
Pebble Pounder

I have a Line6 AX-212 combo in my basement. Back in the day, that was their flagship amp, and it was pretty impressive for the time (late 90s). The only complaint I had was that the power section made it sound stiff and shrill at high volumes.

The latest generation of modelers is pretty impressive. Most arm-chair tone chasers can't tell the difference in a blind test.

I'm either going with:

Fractal AX8 (first choice)

or

Line6 Helix

Both are impressive units with such deep editing, it is mind-boggling. The AX8 has a higher learning curve, but has more models and crazy editing. The Helix has a better UI and is a little easier to edit. I like the fact that they are 10-ish pound units I can take to the small bar gigs we play, plug into the front of house and let the PA do the work.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:27 PM   #77
Suck it up!

So I got my interface up and working, but there's some nasty background noise when I turn the gain up on the amp. I added a noise gate to my effects chain, but that only kills it when I'm not playing.

Also, the cab sim is great, but sounds like I'm hearing it through a paper cup. What am I missing?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 PM   #78
Suck it up!

Figured out the "paper cup" sound. Mic placement on the cab sim. Derp. Found a sim I liked and rolled with it. It still seemed awful thin until it got put into a mix, then it was fine. Lots of things to learn...

Still can't sort out the background noise, but it only seems to effect the monitor signal.

Also learned that a little reverb on the drums makes a world of difference, and that layered guitars are fawking fantastic.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #79
Suck it up!

Makin' noise. Two guitars, a bass, and a drum track. I think I Newstead'd the bass though. Guitar 1 was just random stuff, so it was kinda hard to follow with Guitar 2, but I did the best I could.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Makin' noise. Two guitars, a bass, and a drum track. I think I Newstead'd the bass though. Guitar 1 was just random stuff, so it was kinda hard to follow with Guitar 2, but I did the best I could.

You've got a Megadeth vibe going on there for sure.

What always stops my projects dead in their tracks is that I have zero clue how to dial in drum beats. And if I do get a beat down, it never quite seems right for what I'm doing and then I get irritated and drop the project.

What I love about LeCab is that you can load up different cab/mic combos and switch between them on the fly during playback to see what you like.

Guitars & other musical instruments... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flying with instruments DumpsterRC Chit Chat 5 01-12-2008 04:52 AM