Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Ejected spark plug.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ejected spark plug.

Hey, guys. Any of you have a spark plug pop out of your engine block?

I just had it happen last night. I had the truck towed home, but I’m wondering if I can just re-tap the head, or should I just rebuild the top of the engine, cause I can’t see myself buying the parts to replace just one head. But since it’s a late model truck (2001 F150) I’m pretty sure I can get another engine for about $1000-$1500 at a pick-your-part/junk yard...why-o-why does this happen to the truck I don’t have an extra engine for.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ejected spark plug.

That is a VERY common issue on Ford Triton engines. Timesert makes a complete repair kit for about $400, or there's likely several others for less money. If you don't want to spend that, $200-$250 is the going rate around here to fix 1 hole (most shops buy the Timesert kit and make 10 repairs with it, good money maker.) Theres no need to pull the head, just go slow, and grease your tap so the chips stick to it, you can duct tape a piece of tubing to the end of the shopvac to get inside the cylinder if it makes you feel better. Do yourself a favor and take this time to replace all of your plugs (with 1 piece Motorcraft) and boots (I wouldn't bother replacing the coils until they fail) while you're in there and forget about it for another 100k miles.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

It worth it to fix it and sell it, which was my intention when I bought it, actually the person I bought it from was willing to sell it to an auto wreckers for scrap, but I offered $600 CDN and some A.T.V tires, cause I didn’t see any rust on it, and I’ve been fixing/driving it for the last 10months, cause I’m trying my hardest to keep the km down in the 2013 f150.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've never had a plug pop out of the block but I've had a few ejected out of the head.

Timeserts are nice, helicoils are much cheaper and will last a long time. I'd get a whole set of new plugs and a helicoil kit and fix any holes that are sloppy on the plug. You're selling it, that repair will last for years. If you were keeping it I'd surely recommend the timeserts as well.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

it all depends on which cylinder the plug blew out of...the trouble is the amount of threads on the head are very small and heli coils are more difficult to get in on these heads, i used to do a lot of these in the shop and the timeserts were well worth the cash. There is a dorman repair kit that comes with the plug, insert and new boot. the catch to this one is that once you have used it, you cant use the original style plug anymore.. I would use this only if I was keeping it, not if I planned to sell it. I wouldn't want to knowingly sell that repair to an unsuspecting person.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Spark-Plug-Th...1913468&chn=ps
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Get a Plug made with the sparkplug threading on the ID and a bigger threading on its OD. Tap the cyclinder head and match its threading to the Plug OD. Screw in the Plug and get it Tig welded to the cylinder head. Screw in the sparkplug and be done with it.

Tig welding will give an air tight seal.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

It was the second from the front, on the right side, it’s realy easy to get to. Looking at the old plug it doesn’t look like it was even screwed in, only the starting threads are scored, but does look like something struck the ground electrode and bent it down so it’s touching the centre electrode...not directly, more of a side impact, or rather I’m hoping the cylinder didn’t strike it.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Ok I’ve found a timesert kit, wow they are expensive enough amazon has it listed as $1,325.74 CDN, I went out and picked up a helicoil kit just to have something on hand, it was $84.00 CDN. If I get the timesert kit then realistically I should use the truck for work until I get my money back, cause the helicoil kit inserts look flimsy as F***! The timesert kit also notes that if I F’ed up the helicoil job that the kit will still repair the head.

Decision, Decisions...

allanon1965 I appreciate you taking the time to look for that for me, but I’m with you on not using it if I plan to get rid of it, even if I’m an upfront guy about it to the potential buyers.

Last edited by Alexander_0_1; 09-15-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

This may be a less expensive option....

https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-541...dp/B00A7EMADE#
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

So, I ended up installing the helicoil kit, but I forgot to disconnect the battery, and now my check engine light is on, gonna disconnect it for the night, and see if that makes it go off, it usually does.

I changed 8 plugs, 8 ignition coils, just cause the shop had them in stock...yes they were motomaster if it matters. I found another loose plug but the threads in the head were fine.

I also let the RTV, and red thread lock cure over night.

Thanks for everyone’s input.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:20 AM   #11
Yashua

I used to ride a 74 Shovelhead for about 10 years.
I decided to install a nitrous system on it, (this was the late 70s, they didn't have "bike" kits then) and about half way through the bottle of juice it blew my front spark plug out threads and all.
What a blast it was .
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I feel lucky, with my 2004 5.4l Excursion I had the #1 plug pop out and the #3 on another time . Both times it was the plug loosened and popped out.

I used a borescope to inspect the threads. All good. Screwed the plugs back in and torqued to spec. After the second one, I went and torqued all of them. That was around 110,000 and 130,000 miles. (the factory plugs were replaced around 95,000) Now I am at 154,000.

That fuggin truck, I can't get rid of it now. With the v8 gasser, it ain't worth a shit. Awesome to camp in though.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
That is a VERY common issue on Ford Triton engines. Timesert makes a complete repair kit for about $400, or there's likely several others for less money. If you don't want to spend that, $200-$250 is the going rate around here to fix 1 hole (most shops buy the Timesert kit and make 10 repairs with it, good money maker.) Theres no need to pull the head, just go slow, and grease your tap so the chips stick to it, you can duct tape a piece of tubing to the end of the shopvac to get inside the cylinder if it makes you feel better. Do yourself a favor and take this time to replace all of your plugs (with 1 piece Motorcraft) and boots (I wouldn't bother replacing the coils until they fail) while you're in there and forget about it for another 100k miles.

Yes, timesert is the way to go, been there and also did exact same as you to get any and all aluminum shavings out of the cylinder just in case. Was in my 1985 Toyota pickup 22R, driving along and all of a sudden I was looking around to see whos' driving the hoopty! I've always been meticulous with my auto maintenance and mods, that's the one and knock on wood only time a spark plug self ejected taking the threads with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I've never had a plug pop out of the block but I've had a few ejected out of the head.

Timeserts are nice, helicoils are much cheaper and will last a long time. I'd get a whole set of new plugs ..... If you were keeping it I'd surely recommend the timeserts as well.

Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Interesting topic. I've kinda inherited my pop's 2003 F150 with the 5.4L...Read many horror stories on the plug issues. This one's only got 33k on it though, so it's worth some effort. I don't think I'll have any plug issues, I'm sure the rust will eat it well before I have any engine issues. My pop doesn't maintain his vehicles, I sent his old one to the scrapyard with 35k on it as the frame was completely rotted.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

taking notes here... looking for potential camping rigs and if i the 5.4L can be had for cheap im okay with this issue since there are ways to macguyver a fix ;)
chiphead if you ever REALLY want to get rid of it shoot me a PM. NV is close enough... ;)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Thread de-rail...

This was last weekend. With the third row seat removed and the second row seats folded down you can fit a 4'x8' sheet of plywood in the back. Plenty of space for a guy to sleep and have his gear with him. I have used it several times out hunting. Last weekend I volunteered as a Course Worker for the Silver State Classic. I camped at my check point and had a good time watching race cars go by on Sunday morning.

My wife would like to see the Excursion go, but I'd like to keep it around for the weekends.

Last edited by Chiphead; 09-19-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I've got a lifted/locked/4.56 geared 2wd E350 moto-hauler/kid hauler/tow vehicle/desert & mountain explorer/ non-camperized camp vehicle with a 5.4L and it's done everything we've asked of it. The 5.4 is no powerhouse, but it tows 8k lbs (16k gross) over grades without having to turn the hazards on, and returns low-teen mpg... I don't regret buying it at all. Who would have ever thought that a 15 passenger van with 250hp would work out so good?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Yeah that's literally all I need. Camping rig that could also tow a small trailer either camper or open fun hauler for the vette.

We shall see when I retire from the navy if I stay I cali or not.

Great thread hope its not derailed if kept 5.4L related ;)

*looked on teh interwebz last night and there is a 5.4L 4WD XLT for sale here in socal for $7k. tempting... but maybe later.

Last edited by Shinchu; 09-20-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Ejected spark plug. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would cause this? Motor spark 3s Asuckaphish Electronics 3 06-15-2016 09:45 AM
Ejected Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 7 02-05-2013 01:45 PM
motor's spark? kc092755 Electronics 3 08-20-2011 11:13 AM
Wires spark when I plug the battery in to the Tekin ESC 70duncan Electronics 16 06-09-2009 01:05 PM