Notices

Thread: C8 Mid Engine Corvette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: C8 Mid Engine Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
It's a fine car from what I've read, but it's not a Corvette. Sorry. Big power, front engine, RWD, and a killer fiberglass body. That's a Corvette.

It would be like Ford calling the GT a Mustang. It just doesn't fit.

Maybe I'm just getting old.
I look at cars like this in the same light as RCs that are made to just go fast, they are interesting, but just not for me...

With that, I agree. A Vette has certain characteristics, the big front end and forward engine is one of them, with out it you might as well slap Vette badging on a Ferrari and call it a day. To me, this goes down the same vain as a hybrid/electric Mustang.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I look at cars like this in the same light as RCs that are made to just go fast, they are interesting, but just not for me...

With that, I agree. A Vette has certain characteristics, the big front end and forward engine is one of them, with out it you might as well slap Vette badging on a Ferrari and call it a day. To me, this goes down the same vain as a hybrid/electric Mustang.
I've always loved speed. I don't understand how people aren't into it, but to each his own for sure!

I disagree. A hybrid anything is worse than anything else other than full electric.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #23
~THE SCALE SHOP~

is it vette heritage? no

but im super excited to see an american made car kick ass at a very high level, on the world stage, at a fraction of the cost.
not many american products can say that.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
is it vette heritage? no

but im super excited to see an american made car kick ass at a very high level, on the world stage, at a fraction of the cost.
Hell yes!

'Merica!

Corvette MAGA edition.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
is it vette heritage? no

I'm all for that, I really am. But keep in mind they've had two decades to refine the current platform, and will now be starting from scratch. I wish them the best, but I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. It'll take time to get the new platform dialed in I think. Also, Ford competes at that level with the GT, and has been for a few years now. So they're not the only American company kicking ass on the world stage. As a matter of fact, they're late to the party.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I'm all for that, I really am. But keep in mind they've had two decades to refine the current platform, and will now be starting from scratch. I wish them the best, but I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. It'll take time to get the new platform dialed in I think. Also, Ford competes at that level with the GT, and has been for a few years now. So they're not the only American company kicking ass on the world stage. As a matter of fact, they're late to the party.
Are we talking street cars or race cars? The Corvette has competed in the past as well.

How dare you mention dirty Ford in this thread?
Old 09-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
possibly. the ZL1 1LE, it has 200 more horsepower and real downforce, and proper track tires.
should be a shoe in against a Stingray.
however the C7 ZR1 got the camaros same treatment, and would be a shoe in against the camaro ZL1 1LE.

Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Are we talking street cars or race cars? The Corvette has competed in the past as well.

How dare you mention dirty Ford in this thread?
Both actually. The race cars get all the dev and R&D budget, and some of that trickles down to the street car lineup. Win on Sunday sell on Monday is a real thing, and it brings in a lot of revenue for the manufacturers, which gives them a larger race team and R&D budget.

Ford, dirty? You mean you'd rather support government motors instead? Ford took no bailout money in 2008, yet turned a profit the very next year. And in my book for the past ten years, they're the only American manufacturer that had something in their lineup at basically every category and price point that actually appealed to me. And for the record, I hated them for years from my own bad experience. But, that's all going away now, sadly. And Dodge is doing the same thing, and I'm sure Chevy will follow suit too. Americans on average are much larger than they used to be, so every American needs a giant gas sucking expensive car/truck right?

Last edited by hpiguy; 09-21-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

to all of the people screaming about a mid-engine corvette being "not traditional corvette"...

gentlemen... Zora has wanted the vette to be mid-eingined since the C2. he finally is getting his wish and to me its a beautiful thing. just a shame he didn't get to see it.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-in-the-making
(just so happens that my c2 is insured by hagerty lol)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Both actually. The race cars get all the dev and R&D budget, and some of that trickles down to the street car lineup. Win on Sunday sell on Monday is a real thing, and it brings in a lot of revenue for the manufacturers, which gives them a larger race team and R&D budget.

Ford, dirty? You mean you'd rather support government motors instead? Ford took no bailout money in 2008, yet turned a profit the very next year. And in my book for the past ten years, they're the only American manufacturer that had something in their lineup at basically every category and price point that actually appealed to me. And for the record, I hated them for years from my own bad experience. But, that's all going away now, sadly. And Dodge is doing the same thing, and I'm sure Chevy will follow suit too. Americans on average are much larger than they used to be, so every American needs a giant gas sucking expensive car/truck right?
That was tongue in cheek. Born and raised a Chevy fan, but I'd gladly put a GT or even a new Mustang in my garage. Ford trucks are overrated rust buckets (and that's probably at least part of the reason they went to aluminum), but that's for another thread.

Ford credit did take bailout money, but I think it was repaid. This story changes depending on the source. I will say that I don't understand why people still hold that against GM, Ford or Dodge. I mean the economy at that time killed a lot of businesses. And if GM failed it would have had catastrophic trickle down effect on the economy. The government helped save GM and it's no different than the grants that Tesla and other companies continually get. Tesla and its sister companies have reportedly pissed away $5 Billion in government funds and they aren't even viable companies at this point. GM turned around and became very successful after the recession.

Dodge would be my last choice of American brands because, in the experience of people in my circle, they are as unreliable as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
to all of the people screaming about a mid-engine corvette being "not traditional corvette"...

gentlemen... Zora has wanted the vette to be mid-eingined since the C2. he finally is getting his wish and to me its a beautiful thing. just a shame he didn't get to see it.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-in-the-making
(just so happens that my c2 is insured by hagerty lol)
I mentioned that above, but it's worth mentioning again.

Here's another story showing Zora's fight for mid engine.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/how-...tte-was-saved/

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 09-21-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Zora hasn't mattered in a long time. The Corvette has always been pushrod V8 mounted up front. Some traditions are worth keeping. To me calling that eurotrash looking thing s Corvette is akin to the calling a Toyota Corolla a Chevy nova.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That was tongue in cheek. Born and raised a Chevy fan, but I'd gladly put a GT or even a new Mustang in my garage. Ford trucks are overrated rust buckets (and that's probably at least part of the reason they went to aluminum), but that's for another thread.

Ford credit did take bailout money, but I think it was repaid. This story changes depending on the source. I will say that I don't understand why people still hold that against GM, Ford or Dodge. I mean the economy at that time killed a lot of businesses. And if GM failed it would have had catastrophic trickle down effect on the economy. The government helped save GM and it's no different than the grants that Tesla and other companies continually get. Tesla and its sister companies have reportedly pissed away $5 Billion in government funds and they aren't even viable companies at this point. GM turned around and became very successful after the recession.

Dodge would be my last choice of American brands because, in the experience of people in my circle, they are as unreliable as it gets.
It wasn't for Ford credit, it was for factory retooling under green initiatives. Still government funding either way though, you're right about that.

https://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/fo...n-on-bailouts/

I honestly don't know what my next vehicle will be. I feel like they are all super overpriced, with shit build quality unless you're spending absurd amounts of money.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #33

Quote:
It wasn't for Ford credit, it was for factory retooling under green initiatives. Still government funding either way though, you're right about that.

https://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/fo...n-on-bailouts/

I honestly don't know what my next vehicle will be. I feel like they are all super overpriced, with shit build quality unless you're spending absurd amounts of money.
Like I said, the story changes depending on the source! Crazy how that works and then you don't know what to believe!

I agree there about overpriced and underbuilt. You can thank planned obsolescence for that as well as dumb consumers and their willingness to overpay for sub par products.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:

The Corvette was never mid engine.

I
Go ahead and tell these guys it was never a front-mid setup car. A whole thread discussing the current front-mid setup vs the coming rear-mid setup.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-layout.html

Last edited by JDM74; 09-21-2018 at 01:49 PM.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
And if GM failed it would have had catastrophic trickle down effect on the economy.
More like a tidal wave.

I was on the fence about the bailout. On the one hand, the downstream ramifications on the economy would have been massive, had Chevy been allowed to fail. On the other hand, when a bloated dinosaur like that is allowed to die, something more innovative has the opportunity to fill the vacuum.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Go ahead and tell these guys it was never a front-mid setup car. A whole thread discussing the current front-mid setup vs the coming rear-mid setup.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-layout.html
I'm not going to even bother reading that. They are probably arguing over semantics and millimeters. Ain't nobody got time for that. I will continue to say it's only ever been a front engine, rear wheel drive car as a production machine. I think most "normal" people would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
More like a tidal wave.

I was on the fence about the bailout. On the one hand, the downstream ramifications on the economy would have been massive, had Chevy been allowed to fail. On the other hand, when a bloated dinosaur like that is allowed to die, something more innovative has the opportunity to fill the vacuum.
They trimmed a ton of fat which they should have done on their own. They showed how not to do badge engineering and thankfully got rid of most of those brands. They are a much better company now IMO.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm not going to even bother reading that. They are probably arguing over semantics and millimeters. Ain't nobody got time for that. I will continue to say it's only ever been a front engine, rear wheel drive car as a production machine. I think most "normal" people would agree.
Eh, you are probably right. To the casual car guy they are front engine rear wheel drive, but it you look up Mid engine on Wiki the definition of a mid engine car is one where the engine is between the front and rear axles and the corvette is that way from the C2 generation to the current C7. You probably would classify the Viper as a front engine too but it's not.

At any rate, have any weight numbers been released yet? I know the C7 got a little portly compared to the C6 and C5.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Eh, you are probably right. To the casual car guy they are front engine rear wheel drive, but it you look up Mid engine on Wiki the definition of a mid engine car is one where the engine is between the front and rear axles and the corvette is that way from the C2 generation to the current C7. You probably would classify the Viper as a front engine too but it's not.

At any rate, have any weight numbers been released yet? I know the C7 got a little portly compared to the C6 and C5.
If the engine is under the hood it's front engine. If it's under the trunk it's mid engine... or rear engine... Bah! It's never cut and dry.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Fun fact... the Toyota Previa minivan was a mid-engine RWD.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If the engine is under the hood it's front engine. If it's under the trunk it's mid engine... or rear engine... Bah! It's never cut and dry.

I think it's more like this.....
FRront: Engine is on or infront of the front axle centerline.

Front-Mid: Engine is behind the front axle centerline, driver might be near, or on the rear axle centerline.

Mid-Rear: Engine is ahead of the rear axle centerline, roughly where the back seat should be

Rear: Engine is behind the rear axle centerline, also about where the idiot that doesn't see that you've stopped will likely end up.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

C8 Mid Engine Corvette - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mid engine class 3 buggy holycaveman 2.2 Scale Rigs 167 04-08-2015 03:40 AM
Any mid engine IFS or solid front axle rigs? arthurc10 General Scale Talk 2 01-21-2015 09:51 PM