Notices

Thread: C8 Mid Engine Corvette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: C8 Mid Engine Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Fun fact... the Toyota Previa minivan was a mid-engine RWD.
Yea, it mounted behind/under the front seats. The engine also layed on its side, some models even had small superchargers.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #42

I saw this at Daytona last year, it says Corvette on the windshield and has the engine behind the seats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
HeroSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

^^That's a Daytona prototype. Someone else's chassis and bodywork with a Chevrolet LS7 powerplant. That particular one is a Coyote chassis, as evidenced by the sticker on the on the hood. Pretty popular car in our sim racing league.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #44
~THE SCALE SHOP~

they do not run a LS7. the C7.R run a 5.5L (never been a production LS/LT of that displacement)
im not sure what the DP runs, but its definatly not a LS7.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
^^That's a Daytona prototype. Someone else's chassis and bodywork with a Chevrolet LS7 powerplant. That particular one is a Coyote chassis, as evidenced by the sticker on the on the hood. Pretty popular car in our sim racing league.
Ah, thanks I wasn't quite sure what it was.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
HeroSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
they do not run a LS7. the C7.R run a 5.5L (never been a production LS/LT of that displacement)
im not sure what the DP runs, but its definatly not a LS7.
Straight from the page;

The engine, built by NASCAR engine builder ECR Engines, is a 5.5L port injected LS7 with individual throttle bodies and a dry sump oil system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvet...tona_Prototype
Old 09-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #47
~THE SCALE SHOP~

cant average joes, or maybe members upload and edit/review info to Wiki?

the 5.5L is correct, the LS7 definatly is not (7L single throttle bodY)

still researching the throttle bodies and engine builder

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevro...-ar166698.html

looks like engine builder is correct, at least in the early days.
2012 Chevrolet Corvette Daytona Prototype - Vette Magazine

looks like individual throttle bodies is also correct
https://mvpperformance.files.wordpre...mall-block.jpg
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...type-image.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wJlVDtM1MzA/maxresdefault.jpg

3 out of 4 aint bad!
Old 09-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

They can. But it's supposedly moderated and verified nowadays. So much for that huh? LOL
Old 09-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #49

Quote:
Absolutely!

I could go on the Ford GT Wiki page and say it's designed by Chevy and if a mod didn't stop it then it would remain there until a reader found it and deemed it worthwhile of fighting to change.

This is funny. As an example of why you shouldn't trust Wiki, just look at this page. That is a Wiki page telling you to not trust Wiki!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...eliable_source

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 09-24-2018 at 07:32 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #50
RCCRAWLER TEAM DRIVER

Quote:

the 5.5L is correct, the LS7 definatly is not (7L single throttle bodY)

still researching the throttle bodies and engine builder

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevro...-ar166698.html

looks like engine builder is correct, at least in the early days.
2012 Chevrolet Corvette Daytona Prototype - Vette Magazine

looks like individual throttle bodies is also correct
https://mvpperformance.files.wordpre...mall-block.jpg
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...type-image.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wJlVDtM1MzA/maxresdefault.jpg

3 out of 4 aint bad!

My guess would be LS7 heads and block destroked to meet displacement requirements of the class it was racing in. They might also be calling any LS with 12* heads an LS7 since most have 15* heads
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #51
~THE SCALE SHOP~

not good. gonna be more delays

GM's new Corvette is so powerful, it's warping the frame and shattering glass in tests
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...me/3149723002/
Old 03-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #52

Better get that crap sorted out now because this thing won't be out for an hour before somebody cranks the boost and adds another 500hp.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #53

Quote:
not good. gonna be more delays

GM's new Corvette is so powerful, it's warping the frame and shattering glass in tests
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...me/3149723002/
I've been reading stories like that for the past couple of days now. Something doesn't seem right. Corvette engineers have been doing this for a while. They should know what strength is needed in the frame. I'm guessing the power, alone, isn't "warping" the frames.

At least they are fixing it now instead of rushing it out. But it's still bad press that Chevy and the Corvette don't need since there are too many haters out there already.

This just goes to show they should have stuck with what they know - front motor and rear wheel drive.

The curse of the mid engine Corvette has started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Better get that crap sorted out now because this thing won't be out for an hour before somebody cranks the boost and adds another 500hp.
After you add power anything is possible and no manufacturer would take responsibility.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I've been reading stories like that for the past couple of days now. Something doesn't seem right. Corvette engineers have been doing this for a while. They should know what strength is needed in the frame. I'm guessing the power, alone, isn't "warping" the frames.

At least they are fixing it now instead of rushing it out. But it's still bad press that Chevy and the Corvette don't need since there are too many haters out there already.

This just goes to show they should have stuck with what they know - front motor and rear wheel drive.

The curse of the mid engine Corvette has started.
It's a completely new design from the ground up, no way to know what they needed until it actually gets tested, like they're doing now. Sticking with what they know isn't getting them on the podium often enough. So, as the old saying goes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I just hate that even the base model will now be pretty much priced out of reach for most. The Vette used to be the obtainable super car for the average person. A starting price of $70k means with reasonable options you're looking at about $90k OTD with TT&T fees.

Last edited by hpiguy; 03-14-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #55
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
It's a completely new design from the ground up, no way to know what they needed until it actually gets tested, like they're doing now. Sticking with what they know isn't getting them on the podium often enough. So, as the old saying goes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I just hate that even the base model will now be pretty much priced out of reach for most. The Vette used to be the obtainable super car for the average person. A starting price of $70k means with reasonable options you're looking at about $90k OTD with TT&T fees.

for sure, computer model testing can only take you so far. the good news is they were obviously shooting for lightweight if the frame is under spec. so thats a good thing.
also yeah C7R hasnt won much, but they did win the championship last 2 years in a row. and last year i think they only won 1 or zero races
they admited a couple years ago theyve taken the current F/R platform as far as is possible.

yeah the new prices are gonna suck. gonna be a rare sight to see one like a ferrari or lambo.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #56

Quote:

Engineering software is so good these days that, when used correctly, it should have found any glaring weak spot in the frame. I'm thinking this is GM marketing saying "Ohh the Vette is going to have so much power that it's a frame twister!" (Insert Tim Allen's growl here) Meanwhile the rumors of electrical gremlins have been around much longer. But, with that being said, there are the increasingly rare occasions where engineers are blindsided by what happens in reality. Computers still can't predict everything. I'll be anxious to see if we ever learn the real story.

I think everybody outside of Vette collectors knows better than to buy the first year. It's going to be a beta Vette.

I do also hate the Vette pricing is going to skyrocket, but a new 'Vette has never been in my budget anyway.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
After you add power anything is possible and no manufacturer would take responsibility.
Of course not, but GM knows damned well what some of the buyers of this car are going to do, and if it starts destroying itself, it will develop a bad reputation.

The popularity of vehicles and parts in this segment is fueled primarily by aftermarket "halo" cars. GM needs the aftermarket to embrace this car.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Of course not, but GM knows damned well what some of the buyers of this car are going to do, and if it starts destroying itself, it will develop a bad reputation.

The popularity of vehicles and parts in this segment is fueled primarily by aftermarket "halo" cars. GM needs the aftermarket to embrace this car.
There's always people pushing it for sure. But when add 50% more power I don't think you can blame anybody except yourself if you didn't also beef up the chassis. But there are a lot of stupid people out there that would blame GM so I know where you're coming from.

There are Corvette guys, like my aunt's second husband, that buys a new Corvette each and every single year. It doesn't matter if the Corvette would be the worst sports/super car that year. He'd still buy it. There's a lot of Corvette faithfuls out there that keep it alive, but those guys keep getting older. It'll be interesting to see how this alien Corvette appeals to the masses and the faithful.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #59
RCC Addict

I have to laugh when people say a real Corvette has to have a front mounted engine. You could also argue that the Corvette should have a straight six like the original. IMO, mid mount engine is the best thing to happen to the Corvette to date.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I have to laugh when people say a real Corvette has to have a front mounted engine. You could also argue that the Corvette should have a straight six like the original. IMO, mid mount engine is the best thing to happen to the Corvette to date.
Possibly. I think that's a huge TBD at this point.

C8 Mid Engine Corvette - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mid engine class 3 buggy holycaveman 2.2 Scale Rigs 167 04-08-2015 03:40 AM
Any mid engine IFS or solid front axle rigs? arthurc10 General Scale Talk 2 01-21-2015 09:51 PM