Thread: Codyboy goes Coast to Coast To Coast V2 2018

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy goes Coast to Coast To Coast V2 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Life on the road...
Thanks for telling that story, grusome as it may have been. We need to hear about the ugly parts of life to enjoy the heroism that becomes of it. Thank you Ernie and Marcia. Its not easy to talk about those things but like I said we need to hear sometimes.
I too have been a first responder. Long story short a drunk driver hit the back of my next door neighbors house after a 60 foot jump. Passenger was thrown to driver seat, driver was ejected. Both lived thanks to me and another sailor who happened to be a medic and heard it from almost a block away.
Never got thanked but I didnt need it.
Life is life and you save it any chance you get regardless of who why or how.

Aaaaaaanyway...
Great pics and sounds like you had a good time at the reunion.
Hope to see you both soon!
(Did you get my pm about the care package?)

Hugs
The shinchu family
Thanks for sharing Chris. Been a good trip so far considering, and I did get the message about the Care package. Hope you guys can enjoy it when you get it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Great stories and beautiful photos. You are seeing it all my friend.
Thankyou my friend, we are trying to make it a special trip again this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Any difference in road traffic volume and camp site availability on this trip compared to the last one? This one seems a bit later in the year.

Traffic was terrible in parts of California, but now that we are in Nevada it has been a nice drive. I-80 has been a good road to travel, other than the 80 MPH speed limit. 65 is the fastest I will drive the motorhome so some times it seemed that we were standing still. I passed three rigs all day yesterday and they were all trucks on a long climb. Of course they came flying back by on the down hill. So far finding Good Sam's to stay at have been a snap.

Timing is later than we planned but my 50th class reunion popped up late in our trip plans. So about three weeks later than we wanted. I guess the different weather will ad to the interest and adventure of the trip. Keep your fingers crossed for us!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOme View Post
Ernie,

I have been a little out of touch lately. Look forward to seeing you all! You are the best trip document-er.

I know how busy you and Vickie are this time of year. As we get into the trip a little farther we will try to get a hard date to you guys, .

Thanks for looking and all the comments gang!!!

Marcia and Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
My wife and I flew out to Vegas then drove up to Mammoth Lakes, CA for my uncle's wedding several years ago and that was something we definitely noticed about driving in Nevada. It seems like there is always a mountain on the horizon in every direction at all times which is beautiful and a little disorientating.

Safe travels and keep the updates coming whenever you have some spare time and internet service.
Thanks for the kind thoughts! On our last trip we traveled on HWY 50 in Nevada and I think we would travel for 20 min to 1/2 hour and not see another rig from either direction!!!!

Today we traveled from Elko, through Utah and are spending the night in Fort Bridger Wyoming. Had 2 firsts today, we saw wild life (Big horn sheep, antelope) and snow. We had snow for about 20 minutes until we came down off the hill through Evanston Wy. And we may have a little snow on the ground here when we get up in the morning. This is going to be a adventurous trip for sure!!!!

Marcia and Ernie
Old 10-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Please don't bring that snow with you
SHOme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOme View Post
Please don't bring that snow with you
With the way the weather has been the last few years no promises Cary!!!
I guess we could build a snowman together.

Now for a update for yesterday and today.

From a overview site in Utah.

This timber tiger was working the sage brush, cute little guy!

We knew it was coming but didn't expect 6"!!!! It has us stranded here in Fort Bridger for an extra day, as I-80 is closed both ways to traffic.

We want to go north from here to Thermopolis to meet some friend and drop off a business sign I wood burned. But we will need to go over 7600' South Pass to get there. We have chains, but I like to us them to get out of a situation, not put us into one!!!! Fun Fun Fun!

We will try again tomorrow. Thanks for looking,

Marcia and Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 10-11-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

No doughnuts in an empty parking lot? You know that you want to !!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:20 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
We want to go north from here to Thermopolis to meet some friend and drop off a business I wood burned. But we will need to go over 7600' South Pass to get there. We have chains, but I like to us them to get out of a situation, not put us into one!!!! Fun Fun Fun!

We will try again tomorrow. Thanks for looking,

Marcia and Ernie
Don't go through South Pass. Head over to Rawlins and take 287 up to Lander, then 789 (turns into 26 in Riverton). It's a few more miles but, it will be safer and won't require chains. Lots of Oregon trail history, too!
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No doughnuts in an empty parking lot? You know that you want to !!

I'm on a diet, so no Doughnut, with Marcia setting beside I would have bruises all over my right shoulder!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
Don't go through South Pass. Head over to Rawlins and take 287 up to Lander, then 789 (turns into 26 in Riverton). It's a few more miles but, it will be safer and won't require chains. Lots of Oregon trail history, too!

Thank you my friend, Marcia and I were looking at that route!!! Not a big fan of putting on chains on! I love reading all of the Oregon trail history, so looking forward to it. Thanks again for the help!!!

Marcia and Ernie
Old 10-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

We spent the night last in Thermopolis visiting with dear friends from Cody. Had a great time solving the worlds problems with in the confines of our little covered wagon!!!

But to back up a little we passed through some beautiful country in our travels yesterday.

I will let the photos speak for themselves.

We did end up coming through South Pass, (we stopped at a truck stop in Rock Springs and was told that it was clear) so a couple photos close to the summit.

When we left Thermopolis this morning we wanted to go up and across the Big Horns on HWY 16, but the cold front coming down from the north changed our mind!!! So we headed south down through the Wind River Canyon.

Heading toward Casper from Shoshoni we came across this interesting land formation!

Found this guy and his girlfriend grazing along the HWY

Wish we had a dollar for every antelope we saw today, could have filled the gas tank several times!!
Going to check the weather in the morning to see which route we take east to our next stop.

Thanks for looking,
Marcia and Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 10-12-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Love the stories and journey. Yes life is precious, think alot of us forget this. Beautiful pictures from donners pass. Keep safe in your travels and have fun.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Love the stories and journey. Yes life is precious, think alot of us forget this. Beautiful pictures from donners pass. Keep safe in your travels and have fun.
Thank you Levi, and think good thoughts for us!

Going to leave Douglas this morning on Hwy 20 toward 35. With this cold front coming through we are going to stay on the interstates today. We wil travel today as far as the storm will allow us and then hunker down for the night.

Still headed your way Ryan, hope the storm is just a one day pass through. What does the weatherman say about your area?

Ernie
Old 10-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Weather looks good over the next few days here Ernie. I'll be sending you a PM shortly. Swore I did yesterday but not seeing it in my outbox. Been kinda crazy the last few days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Nice! You found Klendathu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%2..._Acre_(Wyoming)

And you drove right by my antelope and deer hunting grounds. That first pic on South Pass is only a couple miles from where my son shot at his first deer.

Last edited by KJ10; 10-13-2018 at 02:28 PM.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
Weather looks good over the next few days here Ernie. I'll be sending you a PM shortly. Swore I did yesterday but not seeing it in my outbox. Been kinda crazy the last few days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks Ryan, we will see you on Tue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
Nice! You found Klendathu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%2..._Acre_(Wyoming)

And you drove right by my antelope and deer hunting grounds. That first pic on South Pass is only a couple miles from where my son shot at his first deer.

Hey KJ10, we really did wave when we went through Casper. And your hunting grounds has awesome scenery!!! Hopefully the photos sparked a couple memories.

Our first photo stop this morning after leaving Douglas Wyoming.

The board kind of explains the pics. This was just before we crossed into Nebraska.

I know the photos are the same subject but I couldn't decide which one I liked best!!

And our little covered wagon is still chugging along.

This is a very different Nebraska than the one we saw on I-80 two years ago!

It doesn't look good for us, we stopped for the night in Valentine.

All for tonight, thanks for looking,
Marcia and Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 10-13-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I enjoyed the Wyoming pics.
I was living in Cheyenne for 1 year back in the early 90's. I only got as far as Casper and Laramie ( Medicine Bow mountains for bike riding), never got to see anything near the Teatons/Yellowstone NP's.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

"This is a very different Nebraska than the one we saw on I-80 two years ago!"

Yeah, when you get off the beaten path there really is some beautiful country in Nebraska. My guess is you traveled along Highway 20 where the towns are far and few between.

We lived in Gordon Nebraska for a spell back in 1978 to 1985, I was a telephone man with Northwestern Bell Telephone Company. The Sand Hills of Nebraska, rolling hills with fields of wheat and ranches full of cows. I hope you stopped and had some Nebraska Beef for supper at a steak house on your way through. I see on the radar a heck of a snow storm is ahead of you. As long as the wind doesn't blow you shouldn't have any trouble getting through. Beware the snow plows though! And they use to salt the roads as well so when you make it out of the snowy roads stop and wash your rig real good! Really enjoy your travel updates! Safe travels!
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I enjoyed the Wyoming pics.
I was living in Cheyenne for 1 year back in the early 90's. I only got as far as Casper and Laramie ( Medicine Bow mountains for bike riding), never got to see anything near the Teatons/Yellowstone NP's.

We have been to the Tetons and Yellowstone 5 times in the last 25 years and enjoy it every time!!! But mother nature said "not this time Marcia and Ernie, I'm going to let it SNOW!" So we turned tail and ran.
Maybe next trip.
Thanks for the comments, and you rally missed out by not going up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragenwraith View Post
"This is a very different Nebraska than the one we saw on I-80 two years ago!"

Yeah, when you get off the beaten path there really is some beautiful country in Nebraska. My guess is you traveled along Highway 20 where the towns are far and few between.

We lived in Gordon Nebraska for a spell back in 1978 to 1985, I was a telephone man with Northwestern Bell Telephone Company. The Sand Hills of Nebraska, rolling hills with fields of wheat and ranches full of cows. I hope you stopped and had some Nebraska Beef for supper at a steak house on your way through. I see on the radar a heck of a snow storm is ahead of you. As long as the wind doesn't blow you shouldn't have any trouble getting through. Beware the snow plows though! And they use to salt the roads as well so when you make it out of the snowy roads stop and wash your rig real good! Really enjoy your travel updates! Safe travels!

Bingo, Highway 20 from Valentine to South Sioux City NE. We try to stay off of the main inter-states as musch as we can but we've been trying to stay out of the main part of this storm! BRRRRRRRRRRR it has been a cold one!

This is what it looked like out our table window this morning.

Not many photos today, to darn cold to get out of the rig!

I guess we're the only ones crazy enough to do a cross country trip through the north in October.
Only two other rigs in the campground this morning. And the storm caught us again!!

Main street in Valentine.

A stop along the way to clean the ice off our wipers and when I got out I took this bazaar photo of driver side front tire!!!! Told you it was cold.

Missouri River winding passed our camp ground in South Sioux City.

Hunkered in for the night, any bets on snow tonight????

Thanks for looking gang!
Marcia and Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 10-14-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #57
RCC Addict

I see green grass so I feel like it's warm at that particular spot! Yes, I know it's not lol. Wonderful pics and narrative as always. I love reading the historic plaques. By the way... If you stop relieving yourself on the wheels, that won't happen.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

The Tetons, the Wind River Range, and Yellowstone are the most breathtaking places I've ever been for sure. Great pics as always, hope you guys get a break on the weather for a while.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Just curious about the RV- is it fairly well insulated that the heater can keep you guys good and toasty throughout the night?
Old 10-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I see green grass so I feel like it's warm at that particular spot! Yes, I know it's not lol. Wonderful pics and narrative as always. I love reading the historic plaques. By the way... If you stop relieving yourself on the wheels, that won't happen.
WOOF WOOF!!!!!!

37 and the wind was howling. Cold enough for me! Yes, the plaques do a good job explaining the pics and history of that particular area! You should read my wife's blog, can she ever word smith a paragraph. She actually makes our journey sound interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
The Tetons, the Wind River Range, and Yellowstone are the most breathtaking places I've ever been for sure. Great pics as always, hope you guys get a break on the weather for a while.

Very well said, we love photographing the wildlife and scenery every time we go there.

We are in a campground in Fairmont Minnesota "Flying Goose RV park"
and the sun is shining, but 41 and wind blowing. So still feels chilly.
And thanks for the good thoughts!

Quote:
Just curious about the RV- is it fairly well insulated that the heater can keep you guys good and toasty throughout the night?

Our Motorhome is built for the Northwest but is still a little cold and drafty above the rear wheel wells. We carry a electric heater with us so when we have hook ups we use it instead of our furnace. No use burning our propane when we are paying for electricity! So as long as our feet are up we are very cozy. And the last few nights it has been in the 20's with wind and we stayed warm.

Only a couple photos today sorry wasn't a lot of points of interest on Hwy 75 and 60.

And the covered wagon!

Thanks for looking gang, off to meet Ryan tomorrow afternoon!!!!
Marcia and Ernie

Codyboy goes Coast to Coast To Coast V2 2018 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!! CODYBOY Chit Chat 180 11-30-2018 11:33 AM
2018 US Nationals East Coast Jslick RC Rock Crawling Nationals 32 08-13-2018 05:49 PM
2018 East Coast Championship - 11th Edition Fishmaxx East Coast Championship 133 06-17-2018 02:02 PM
2018 East Coast Championship 1.9 SORRCA scale June 10th lowridinjuggalo East Coast Championship 5 05-21-2018 08:49 AM