Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Redcat , comin up !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: Redcat , comin up !

I have to think part of the business case for this rig was to appoint it well enough, especially for an RTR, that demand or desire for a lot of aftermarket upgrades would be relatively low compared to some other equivalent offerings that unapologetically need several upgrades right out of the box just to be viable. As an RTR I didn't see much I would feel I had to upgrade quickly, provided the tires are even halfway decent, other than maybe the plastic tranny gears. I think this kinda sorta maybe justifies the slightly higher price point.

I could imagine this one staying pretty much bone stock for me, so the price doesn't seem unreasonable. But then, if I were bringing out my brand's first real original design I'd have a slew of bling and sparklies ready to go too, and be glad there weren't a lot of aftermarket manufacturers rushing to make parts for it.

Last edited by 2mtech; 11-14-2018 at 04:13 PM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

Ill give it a year before I decide to purchase, I think I would still go with trx4 if I where to buy a new crawler. After buying cross and dealing with parts support, aftermarket etc, I will wait.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #83
RCC Addict

My local hobby shop said they will be getting them since they already carry Redcat so i'll check one out firsthand when they get some in, if it looks and feels good in person i'll probably pick one up since they stock some Redcat parts there, not many but some so at least I know they can get parts. I really like the looks of these, the one thing I don't like about the body though is the flares, they just don't look right to me, but other than that they look pretty sweet!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Axial builder kit - sub-$200
Put whatcha want on it.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
Perhaps parts were more available in the US, but in Canada I can really only find them online and they are often not always in stock. Whereas with my other trucks, I have Amazon.ca and several local hobby shops carrying stuff. I really hope things change with the Gen 8.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
I don't even consider availability from my LHS when I determine "parts support". For me it's whether or not the parts are easily available online from a US seller.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:01 AM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I don't even consider availability from my LHS when I determine "parts support". For me it's whether or not the parts are easily available online from a US seller.
Agree, I get 99% of my stuff online, if my local hobby shop doesn't have it I don't order it there because it takes a week or two, I'm still waiting on my front diff lock cable for my Trx that I ordered three weeks ago, I tried being supportive of a local business but Rpp had it to me in two days. I guess I'll have a spare whenever it comes in.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
Ill give it a year before I decide to purchase, I think I would still go with trx4 if I where to buy a new crawler. After buying cross and dealing with parts support, aftermarket etc, I will wait.

That would be a wise decision, I have been following a couple FB groups and people are blowing the gears in the portals left and right. I would assume that these are the same portals in the Gen8.

Of coarse none of them want to admit that redcats are a POS, so they proceed to post their breakages with an excuses.

The other thing I notices was Redcat seemed to reward posters on those FB groups with free trucks to test. As a result the feedback they are posting on FM is less the truthful. Doesn't seemed to be a good method of getting true feedback, and as a result I would expect the product to suffer.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
That would be a wise decision, I have been following a couple FB groups and people are blowing the gears in the portals left and right. I would assume that these are the same portals in the Gen8.

Of coarse none of them want to admit that redcats are a POS, so they proceed to post their breakages with an excuses.

The other thing I notices was Redcat seemed to reward posters on those FB groups with free trucks to test. As a result the feedback they are posting on FM is less the truthful. Doesn't seemed to be a good method of getting true feedback, and as a result I would expect the product to suffer.
The gears that we're destroying in the portals were their pre-production design. Based on our problems, Redcat redesigned some components within the portals (including the gears) and sent all of us an update kit. I've not heard of anybody having problems with the updated parts, which is what the Gen8 will come with. I haven't put mine in yet, but I've examined them, and they look like a much more durable design.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #89

Quote:

I would disagree with this statement. I have a Gen 7 pro and it's my favorite rig. I have a TF2 that is scale and not realy "fun" but it's scale..., I have a (or had I should say) a Ascended and the Redcat Gen 7 Pro is a better crawler period. I changed the transfer case gears to steel and run a 3S lipo and have no issues what so ever. It's water proof and reliable. I reciently put an FPV camera on the nose and now it's my FPV crawler and it's even better.

People have opinions and that's fine, you may find other trucks are better for your needs, but to say Redcats are POS's is not true. And while I say that,I have not owned any other Redcat so other models I will exclude from my reply as I have no expierence with them.
SleepyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #90

Quote:
Missed this part of your rant last time I quoted it, so I figured I'd take another pass.

I break all of my RCs on a pretty regular basis. My Bomber breaks, my Gen7 breaks, and all of my bashers break. About the only one I haven't broken yet is my Yeti, but I'm still popping her cherry, so I'm sure it'll come.

I make no excuses for the portal breakage. Mine broke under a ridiculously light load and I absolutely consider it a design flaw. BUT, that was on a beta design, and Redcat has redesigned the parts involved. Though I have yet to test the new parts, the changes look promising.

If the final design turns into an unreliable turd, so be it. Until then, I'm not going to crap all over their efforts. I remain impressed with the Gen7's capabilities for the money I have invested.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 11-15-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #91
RCC Addict

I literally beat the crap out of my fleet of Ascenders and not one has broken. Well, finally broke a support arm for a rock-slider on my comp-rig, from slamming it in the rocks.

If they break running them they're not built strong enough. JMHO
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #92
Rock Stacker

The Gen 7 is a good entry level rig, it does not compare to the Axials or the TRX4 however it is a lot less money. I personally think it has a place in the RC Tiny Truck arena as it brings in new people to the hobby as well as new rig is always fun!

I have owned mine since last Christmas and can say the following,
- It required fixing right out of the box (rear drive shaft).
- Steering sucked prior to an easy free mod.
- In a year of ownership I did not break a single component, save for the ridiculously thin lexan body.
- Again for the price a solid truck!

On the Beta Portals - these were really a Beta I mean really beta. Upon installation there were the following problems with mine.
- Geometry wrong up front.
- Steering angle not close to the promised 45 degrees
- Shocks binding against frame rails.
- Links binding on frames rails.
- Due to the panhard setup it made the front suspension very stiff.
- My spools were not true, had a wooble.
- Breaking pinion gears.
- Odd noises under use.

Now in all fairness they were beta’s and Redcat’s customer service was absolutely excellent, especially Matt. All of the above problems were sorted out and new parts sent out with the exception of the Odd Noise issue and the lack of a larger steering angle.

My updated (final version) portals are not as smooth as the Traxxas ones nor is their overall quality of product in general, that is OK when they are priced quite a bit below. However with the Gen8 they are pretty close to the TRX4 Sport in price, too close... They are making strides forward with their product however in my opinion they are not nearly ready to play with the big boys yet (Axial & Traxxas). My now Final Version Portals are an improvement in the capability of my Gen 7, however they still are not up to my personal standards of quality and performance. If the exact same portal design that I own are on the Gen 8 with no further improvements I believe that to be a major drawback and I certainly would spend the extra couple of bucks for another Traxxas TRX4 or base Axial RTR.

Hopefully Redcat proves me wrong and this does turn out to be a great durable truck, another good rig is always welcome in my stable!

Last edited by cjhike; 11-16-2018 at 11:58 PM.
cjhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #93

I, also broke my beta portal gears. Receive replacements, then update kit. Since the install, i've tried to push it, just to be sure! I'm running my wife's pro on 2s.
On a different note, the low gears are growing on me. Fixing to start spending money, gearing my on scx10 down!
Inurhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:48 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
I would disagree with this statement. I have a Gen 7 pro and it's my favorite rig. I have a TF2 that is scale and not realy "fun" but it's scale..., I have a (or had I should say) a Ascended and the Redcat Gen 7 Pro is a better crawler period.
You are the first that I've heard with this opinion. (Assuming you were talking about an Ascender). What would you say makes it better?

Last edited by soze; 11-18-2018 at 12:05 AM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #95
RCC Addict

I wonder if this is real...?
Looks nice tho !

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
I wonder if this is real...?
Looks nice tho !

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

looks like a horrible photo shop job to me...I hate the look of these cut up like this...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #97
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
looks like a horrible photo shop job to me...I hate the look of these cut up like this...

Would've been nice tho...lol
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #98
RCC Addict

Quote:
What do you consider cut up? 1:1 Scouts had removable tops...these look just like my '70 did with the top off, which was how I usually rolled.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Quote:

The guy who did it is on FB and is very proud of his work
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #100
RCC Addict

I think we need to get back on track here, you know toy trucks

Redcat , comin up ! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50% Bulu FJ40 comin' at ya...... toyofast Scale Videos! 11 03-01-2011 08:28 PM
Got some HB tires comin, what foam?? MikeinFresno Newbie General 4 01-20-2011 02:41 PM
comin to salt lake this week! sococrawler Utah 1 09-20-2010 05:57 PM
Betty from hell is comin' to get ya.... Neeley Paint and Body 65 03-04-2009 05:37 AM
The Championships are comin! Bugg_zy Alaska 5 09-28-2008 11:01 PM