Notices

Thread: Whats your job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2022, 06:24 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Whats your job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Professional Chauffeur...mostly corporate contracts in the SF Bay Area (especially tech & financial companies), but also a number of well-known celebrities (movies, TV, music, sports, etc), and others I can't legally disclose.

While our primary area of coverage is the greater SF Bay Area, I, personally, have driven clients to/from as far north as Mendocino, as far east as Lake Tahoe, and as far south as Los Angeles.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

via GIPHY

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #102
Rock Crawler

My paycheck says Carpenter.

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #103
Rock Stacker

Lots of interesting jobs here, me personally I'm a paint process technician. I'm basically in charge of 3 booths worth of paint robots to make sure they follow the paint processes/pathings and troubleshoot any issues that may arise on a night to night basis.
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #104
RCC Addict

I’m a mechan….. no wait. I’m a technician. We’re supposed to be smarter than a mechanic.
I’ve been fixing cars and fixing minds for Chevy for 11 years now. Started as a heavy line engine tech and now I do it all. Not a fan of the direction things are going. Might have to open an outlaw underground internal combustion engine shop before too long.
Not sure I posted here before tbh. But here we are haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:13 AM   #105
Pebble Pounder

This is my job , an 11 second clip on YouTube

BargeMaster (the guy who moves those big rigs)

https://youtu.be/_0UXi05gIhk

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk
BP6666VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:23 AM   #106

I teach high school English.
Juanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
I teach high school English.
Props for doing what I imagine must be an at times thankless job!

And in this day and age, what with the internet to contend with...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #108
Rock Crawler

I am a Project Coordinator at Red Dog Mine, in Northwest Alaska.

Between weather and logistics (and all that it affects), it can be difficult to manage at times, but the time off is nice when working a rotational schedule.
I worked in the Oil Industry earlier in my career, but Mining is definitely a bit more stable.

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 07-15-2022 at 11:09 AM.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:33 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Only took me 4 months to see this. Good one.

In a little less then a month, I'll be moving to a different state, working for a new company, and will have a new job title...but, in essence, I'll be doing the same job. Going from "Professional Chauffeur", to "Tour Bus Operator"...lol

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:52 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Lets make it all of our job to get idiot boy, kicked off this forum!
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:05 AM   #111
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Lets make it all of our job to get idiot boy, kicked off this forum!
Now that sir is impossible, coz the 2 boiz are on ignore

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk
BP6666VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #112

27+ year machinist. Specifically EDM / CNC mill & lathe operation. I'm the lead operator/supervisor.
I am also ISO Quality manager and do my own programming.
I work alot....
Sweetride95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #113
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetride95 View Post
27+ year machinist. Specifically EDM / CNC mill & lathe operation. I'm the lead operator/supervisor.
I am also ISO Quality manager and do my own programming.
I work alot....
Hey man, welcome to rcc! I see youre from IN. Im originally from monroe city/vincennes/washington/petersburg area
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:21 PM   #114
RCC Addict

10 years under my belt working in the oilfield in North Dakota. My grandpa moved here in the 50s, so I’m 3rd generation working this field, and probably the last.

Sorry for high gas prices, believe me when I saw we are producing every barrel possible right now. Hard to find good people, and certainly not getting any help for the good old US government.
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:42 PM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
10 years under my belt working in the oilfield in North Dakota. My grandpa moved here in the 50s, so I’m 3rd generation working this field, and probably the last.

Sorry for high gas prices, believe me when I saw we are producing every barrel possible right now. Hard to find good people, and certainly not getting any help for the good old US government.
Yeah, never shouldve shut down the pipeline smh. If my grandpa (dads side) was still alive, id probably be doin the same as u. Didnt get to know him though, he passed shortly after i turned a yr old.

Im still at the concrete plant, goin on 7 yrs now. Some days it seems like the boss is trainin me to run the place lol
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:46 PM   #116
RCC Addict

Pretty interesting seeing how diverse everyone’s jobs are.

I started working at 15 as farm/ranch help, then started in auto repair at a tiny independent shop as a lube tech at 19. Spent a year at a Hyundai store at 23, left Nevada at 24 and went to a Ford store.

After about 8 years of doing 90% warranty electrical diag, trans repair, and gas driveability, I got tired of being bent over by literally everyone. Customers, service advisors, service managers, shop foreman, dispatcher, parts guys, and most often Ford Motor Company, I transferred to the used car department and got about a 20k a year raise to do brake jobs and oil changes.

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:39 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
I’m a mechan….. no wait. I’m a technician. We’re supposed to be smarter than a mechanic.
I’ve been fixing cars and fixing minds for Chevy for 11 years now. Started as a heavy line engine tech and now I do it all. Not a fan of the direction things are going. Might have to open an outlaw underground internal combustion engine shop before too long.
Not sure I posted here before tbh. But here we are haha
i hate the term technicion

people who work on computers are technicians

people who work on machines are mechanics
the end

i went to school to be a mechanic but only learned computers so after 2 years of learning nothing i got a job at a goodyear were i learned alot more than i did in collage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I got tired of being bent over by literally everyone. Customers, service advisors, service managers, shop foreman, dispatcher, parts guys, and most often Ford Motor Company,

the worst part about being a mechanic was getting blamed for every little issue that came up "you changed my oil and 2 days later i got a flat tire " ok lol it might be this nail in your tire "why would you put a nail in my tire "

ya i had enuff of that

but on the other side ive seen some really bad sherbert and i wont ever take my rigs to a mechanic/computer repair guy
because like everyone else my tire goes flat after a engine swap i blame the mechanic i know its wrong but still cant help my self
but seeing what ive seen that stuff dose happen and you just never know you can go to the same shop for years and everything is great then they get a guy in that dosent know the differance between a wrench and a hammer and sherbert happens

atleast when i do my own work i know who screwed it up

Last edited by ferp420; 10-27-2022 at 07:46 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #118
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i hate the term technicion

people who work on computers are technicians

people who work on machines are mechanics
the end
Well I can tell you, I used a computer with probably 90% of the diags or repairs I did while at Ford.

I kind of agree though, it’s a bit of a fancy way to say I work on cars.

In the same shop I’ve worked with people I consider technicians, and people I consider mechanics…

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:35 PM   #119
RCC Addict

Ferp, I feel you. I consider myself a mechanic, I prefer to work on engines but I fix and repair everything.. except transmission.. those take a special psycho haha! But like twade said, I spend a solid chunk of my day on a computer. I recently relocated and am back at my old shop. They didn’t have a computer for me for about a week and a half, I felt completely lost. You have to have a computer to fix cars now, that’s all there is too it.
On your other point, Unfortunately there are far too many crooks out there. I pride myself on being an honest mechanic and trying to fix the car right the first time. I hate comebacks, related to what I did or not. I’d much rather take an extra step or extra time now than do the job again.

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 11:18 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

Sometimes it comes full circle... I grew up Farmer/rancher in the mountains of Utah and Idaho, parents sold the ranch when I was 19, had a hard time finding a good fit after that.... I loved horses, mountains and ranch life. My father also owned a mechanic shop and I worked there part time..
Started framing houses after that and hated it, had many many jobs over the years.
Some of my favs however were pipe welding for a union company, lots of Tig welding
Then I got in with an aviation company Tig welding for them for a number years...
Then my wife and I bought a small horse ranch in Idaho last year and moved up there...
I left aviation to move back out to the country, have the simple life again and also so me and my brother could start a business which is what we are currently doing/working towards
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote

Whats your job? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RADIOS: Whats needed and whats a good price tag losikid Electronics 3 02-08-2011 10:20 PM
whats swx? and whats a super? SpaceBalls Newbie General 17 08-05-2009 11:41 AM
whats hot, whats not. post good and bad setups and products TomEGunn General Crawlers 9 05-28-2009 07:29 PM