Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Proline Releases a $600 Lexan Body <-That's not a typo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Proline Releases a $600 Lexan Body <-That's not a typo

There's a thread by moedawi on his modified TRX-4 Defender, he's just added an opening hood and detailed engine bay:

TRX4 subtle upgrades
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #62
RCC Addict

Default Re: Proline Releases a $600 Lexan Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Be sure to add their $91 a pair reservoir shocks and $88 a pair Pro-Forge wheels while you're at it.

That's a big solid NOPE from me.

They've been getting too proud of their stuff lately, and it's not nice enough for the money.

You could build a hardbody that's more unique for far less.
100% agree with you

Anyway, these are for the affluent world
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:09 AM   #63
RCC Addict

If it had some sort of grille included, even a decal, you would have a complete body for the usual lexan body price. If they included some generic grille you wouldn't have all this uproar going on, I like the look of the body and would probably pick one up if it had some sort of grille, then pick up a couple of the add ons later down the road, not all of it but a few things. Everyone is different on the things that they want in a scale body, in my case I want it to look good out on the trail, it doesn't need to have a super detailed interior or an engine compartment, but when it's out on the trail and running I like it to look real from a certain distance. I have scale models and diecast that sit on the shelf with all those details to look at. Now others like super detail in everything and there's nothing wrong with that, Proline needs to make it for all of us though in my opinion.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:42 AM   #64
Rock Crawler

I love this body and will probably pick one up. I may just scratch build my own grill for it though. $40 (after shipping) for a grill seems excessive, unless it was chromed and came with add-on logo pieces.

As for the body, IMO there should have been a grill, either molded in, as a separate lexan add-on (like the hood), or a separate molded plastic grill. By not including something to complete the body, it is forcing the buyers to purchase separate pieces instead of giving them the option.

Some of the other parts for upgrading the looks, are very cool "options", and that is what they should be..."options", not integral parts of a basic truck body.

Just my opinion...
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Typical new product thread...

RCC Denizens "Same old bodies, we want something new!!!"
Manufacturer "Here's something new!"
RCC Denizens "That's crap/sucks/stupid/ridiculous/overpriced" ... and on and on.

Same thing in the Axial UTV thread. Am I wrong?

I think it's a nice idea. Lexan body with a bit more detail/features than normal, and making it customizable with different inserts/parts, etc. That's pretty decent "out of the box" thinking, especially if there are more body styles coming.

I agree however, that the Shapeways part isn't ideal. As James says, prices are getting a bit high. Some molded parts would be better - at least enough to build the body out of the bag. Maybe a simple molded grill and headlight set with 2 options each to get started and let the Shapeways and other 3rd party mods go to town.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toykid View Post
>snip

When you guys post the smiley face with the flip off fingers, is that supposed to be funny? Where I come from it is meant as a very rude insult to the person its aimed at. But it is meant to be funny right?

James.
Let us spell it out for you...
It's not "flipping anyone off", it's saying screw that not buying that body.
YOU are CHOOSING to be offended when it had nothing to do with you - it's about Prolines choice of product offering. It's not even directed at them, or Knight customs - everybody loves them both. Yes, it's meant to be humorous, a comical way of saying f-that. Do you ever do that with your friends?
Taking stuff personally in posts isn't prudent - you're twice as likely to take it wrong.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Toykid is way too nice....

You either want it or you don’t...fork over the cash or STFU
Not too hard to figure that out

Jato...you comment on every topic in RCC...way too opinionated IMHO

As Mikemc sig says

“Shut up and drive”. (Notice no emojis)
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
If it had some sort of grille included, even a decal, you would have a complete body for the usual lexan body price. If they included some generic grille you wouldn't have all this uproar going on, I like the look of the body and would probably pick one up if it had some sort of grille, then pick up a couple of the add ons later down the road, not all of it but a few things. Everyone is different on the things that they want in a scale body, in my case I want it to look good out on the trail, it doesn't need to have a super detailed interior or an engine compartment, but when it's out on the trail and running I like it to look real from a certain distance. I have scale models and diecast that sit on the shelf with all those details to look at. Now others like super detail in everything and there's nothing wrong with that, Proline needs to make it for all of us though in my opinion.

Exactly! Had Proline included one molded plastic grille and then offered the rest as 3D printed options they would at least be offering a complete body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Toykid is way too nice....

You either want it or you don’t...fork over the cash or STFU

Not too hard to figure that out

Jato...you comment on every topic in RCC...way too opinionated IMHO

As Mikemc sig says

“Shut up and drive”. (Notice no emojis)
Your opinion is that I'm too opinionated. Oh the irony!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Exactly! Had Proline included one molded plastic grille and then offered the rest as 3D printed options they would at least be offering a complete body.

Your opinion is that I'm too opinionated. Oh the irony!
I rest my case...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Jato just likes to argue.

I really like the idea, but the execution was done poorly. The body isn't even complete from proline, you have to buy at least a grill and as of right now it's a month wait for shapeways and is over $100 for an unbranded lexan body.
Yes, shapeways has slowed down production unless you pay extra for expedited production, another favorite rant of mine

But, if you order the body and grill from AMain it will be less than $100 and all parts ship same day. Maybe less than $90 when using their discount codes.

Or get that files from MyMiniFactory and print yourself for even less.

But I get it, generaly people here don't think the engine bay idea is of value and would definitely have preferred the body to come complete.

thanks for all the feedback,

James.
Toykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

3D printed parts has really LOWERED the standard of what the general public thinks is Acceptable.............

injected molded grill would be Way better.....

Molded or machined.........not something with a bunch of layers ...........
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksloski View Post
3D printed parts has really LOWERED the standard of what the general public thinks is Acceptable.............

injected molded grill would be Way better.....

Molded or machined.........not something with a bunch of layers ...........

Many “Manufacturers” print crap, then sell it. It’s so much cheaper to 3D print vs making a Die for injection molding, huge unit numbers to break even on tooling, not sure that many would buy.
That said my Knights Parts are better and smoother than I could print in PETG, but being in nylon are loads stronger.

Some companies print PLA cheaply, and it fails quickly, BUT it didn’t cost much

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #73
RCC Addict

So I'm not really familiar with printed parts, but out of curiosity, how would a 3D printed bumper hold up to abuse as opposed to a molded bumper?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
So I'm not really familiar with printed parts, but out of curiosity, how would a 3D printed bumper hold up to abuse as opposed to a molded bumper?

It depends on the material is is printed out of and what material the bumper is molded out of. PLA is brittle and will break fairly easily. Nylon is pretty strong and will probably live as a bumper. Personally, a bumper should be made out of metal IMO. And yeah, you can print metal in a 3D printer too. They do it on shape ways.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I once purchased the The Knight Customs Smittybilt XRC M.O.D. Bumper for my SCX10. I only got to run it 4 or 5 times before I made the mistake of picking the vehicle up by the bull bar after finishing a run. The bull bar snapped clean off. I didn't bother making any warranty claims since I took partial responsibility due to the fact that no where did it say that I could use it as a handle. I'll never spend $40 for a 3D printed bumper again.

colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #76

Quote:

Depends on the quality and materials of both. A high quality molded bumper, like RPM, is going to out last any 3D printed item that's currently available.

The quality of 3D printing varies so much. A part printed on an industrial resin printer at Shapeways will be much stronger than any part printed on a filament printer.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksloski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Many “Manufacturers” print crap, then sell it. It’s so much cheaper to 3D print vs making a Die for injection molding, huge unit numbers to break even on tooling, not sure that many would buy.
That said my Knights Parts are better and smoother than I could print in PETG, but being in nylon are loads stronger.

Some companies print PLA cheaply, and it fails quickly, BUT it didn’t cost much
These go hand in hand
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toykid View Post
But, if you order the body and grill from AMain it will be less than $100 and all parts ship same day. Maybe less than $90 when using their discount codes.

Or get that files from MyMiniFactory and print yourself for even less.
This does make a lot more sense James. Yes, its a little more than a regular lexan body. But at $90ish it is complete with a grille, 2 piece body and the hood/engine bay set up (which could serve as small electronics tray even?).

Then, like any other product you have the option to buy the accessories that are specifically designed for the body, fair enough.

It is great to see that you partnered up with Proline and im sure things will only get better whatever the experience of this one may be. I think it was more the expectation that proline called this a "builder series", was that it would come similar as the ABS bodies out there with multiple accessories as part of a package. After you have mentioned that some files may be put file sharing sites, I am thinking this may be what the builder series was about?

I think they would have killed it as far as releases go had they said something about files being available for 3d printing at home to build what you want. Of course, that would come from mostly your hard work, nobody else

In any case, I look forward to see what the final outcome of this is because it sets up more options in the future if found very successful for everyone. As much as I like hard bodies (RC talk guys, hang in there), weight of lexan is a huge benefit.

Good luck
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #79

Default Proline Releases a $600 Lexan Body &lt;-That's not a typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
This does make a lot more sense James. Yes, its a little more than a regular lexan body. But at $90ish it is complete with a grille, 2 piece body and the hood/engine bay set up (which could serve as small electronics tray even?).

Then, like any other product you have the option to buy the accessories that are specifically designed for the body, fair enough.

It is great to see that you partnered up with Proline and im sure things will only get better whatever the experience of this one may be. I think it was more the expectation that proline called this a "builder series", was that it would come similar as the ABS bodies out there with multiple accessories as part of a package. After you have mentioned that some files may be put file sharing sites, I am thinking this may be what the builder series was about?

I think they would have killed it as far as releases go had they said something about files being available for 3d printing at home to build what you want. Of course, that would come from mostly your hard work, nobody else

In any case, I look forward to see what the final outcome of this is because it sets up more options in the future if found very successful for everyone. As much as I like hard bodies (RC talk guys, hang in there), weight of lexan is a huge benefit.

Good luck

Who's going to mount electronics on a body? That would be really odd unless maybe it was a light controller.

It would be cool if Proline offered STL files along with bodies to change grilles or print accessories. Just think if you bought a body like a Tacoma and you didn't like the molded grille that was included. You could print your own. Or Proline could offer other molded grilles. People would buy those. For that they wouldn't need Knight Customs. Their designers or engineers could design this stuff. For that reason I do find it out they partner with a company like Knight Customs rather than do it themselves.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

It's more like what's it made from. ABS or PLA is not suitable for RC bumpers or anything that will take stress. Nylon on the other hand is great for it.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote

Proline Releases a $600 Lexan Body <-That's not a typo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
proline k5 Blazer + proline lexan interior? STANG KILLA SS General Scale Talk 2 06-27-2011 06:14 PM
Painting my XJ PROLINE SCX10 Lexan Body rusty577 Paint and Body 0 02-22-2011 04:57 AM
Clod Style lexan body???? not the proline 80 model. Stangrocka Paint and Body 5 05-26-2010 10:10 AM
Axial Releases Dingo Truck Body whipnet Paint and Body 32 08-26-2009 03:37 PM