Notices

Thread: Proline Releases a $600 Lexan Body <-That's not a typo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Proline Releases a $600 Lexan Body <-That's not a typo

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...JET3ukPaY7m4TE

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/knig...ine+Metric&s=0

To outfit the body with all of the option parts shown(engine, bumpers, lights, flares, etc) is $550 + the cost of the body. I don't think it comes with an interior that's shown in a few of the pictures.

At a bare minimum it's a $100 body because it doesn't come with a grill.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #2

Default Re: Proline Releases a $600 Lexan Body

The finished body looks great. Proline should have made the Lexan body with molded hard plastic grilles and been done with it. This is just stupid. It's a generic Toyota body that looks just like a Honcho with a bed. Anytime Knight Customs is involved it's a bad, overpriced ending. And RC Nerds usually makes the better looking stuff anyway.

I know people are going to say I'm being negative and that this is awesome, but it's not. Not unless you are willing to buy an overpriced, unfinished body and then spend another $60 to tack on 3D printed parts that should have been included. At the very least Proline could have included one molded grille and Knight could have offered alternatives.

The new Proline is no longer an innovator. They are just lost if you ask me. We can't even get a Lexan body from them with molded grille and light buckets.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 02-22-2019 at 08:14 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I forgot the bed rack... It's $666.74 + the body as pictured.

Last edited by whitrzac; 02-22-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Be sure to add their $91 a pair reservoir shocks and $88 a pair Pro-Forge wheels while you're at it.

That's a big solid NOPE from me.

They've been getting too proud of their stuff lately, and it's not nice enough for the money.

You could build a hardbody that's more unique for far less.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The finished body looks great. Proline should have made the Lexan body with molded hard plastic grilles and been done with it. This is just stupid. It's a generic Toyota body that looks just like a Honcho with a bed. Anytime Knight Customs is involved it's a bad, overpriced ending. And RC Nerds usually makes the better looking stuff anyway.

I know people are going to say I'm being negative and that this is awesome, but it's not. Not unless you are willing to buy an overpriced, unfinished body and then spend another $60 to tack on 3D printed parts that should have been included. At the very least Proline could have included one molded grille and Knight could have offered alternatives.

The new Proline is no longer an innovator. They are just lost if you ask me. We can't even get a Lexan body from them with molded grille and light buckets.
That’s a lot of dough for few bits of plastic. Someone over there is looking for an early retirement fund
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yeah big bummer. As said, why not mold those those bits. People 3D print rc parts because its not on the market (or crazy expensive).... If your are designing a new body make it complete or at the least, you need to charge a hell of a lot less. I do hope to see more 2pc bodies though. Easy enough to draw and print your own parts to complete it, but still.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The idea for the body itself is great, but the price makes it not so great.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

You’ve got 3 people’s hands in the pot here; knight, proline, and shapeways. 3D printing is useful when
you don’t have anybody that makes it any other way. Proline could easily mold these parts for far cheaper. If I had to choose between a molded part and a 3D printed part, I’ll take the mold every time. Their strategy here is puzzling.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Once I started adding up the pieces I’d want, which is just typical trim, not even bumpers, it was already $190. That’s without a body or any interior or the motor piece. Ouch.

This body looks cool but if I can buy another truck instead then that’s a tough sell.

Glad they released the k10 stepside as that will be a nice change of plans and much easier on the wallet.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I was excited to first see this, as I've been wanting to do an overland rig build. Then I went to the Knight Customs site and saw the pricing and my dream was literally shattered in tiny pieces. That's ridiculous. And the body's not even licensed. I like Pro-Line products but not that much.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

And it's not like proline doesn't make molded plastic bits too...

I halfway expected the files to be free or dirt cheap as a 'buy our body, and make it your own' type of deal
Old 02-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
You’ve got 3 people’s hands in the pot here; knight, proline, and shapeways. 3D printing is useful when
you don’t have anybody that makes it any other way. Proline could easily mold these parts for far cheaper. If I had to choose between a molded part and a 3D printed part, I’ll take the mold every time. Their strategy here is puzzling.
I agree, id rather have a clear molded part than 3D printed. Atleast u can paint it the color u want

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Once I started adding up the pieces I’d want, which is just typical trim, not even bumpers, it was already $190. That’s without a body or any interior or the motor piece. Ouch.

This body looks cool but if I can buy another truck instead then that’s a tough sell.

Glad they released the k10 stepside as that will be a nice change of plans and much easier on the wallet.
Oh man! I forgot about the stepside release. Atleast there is something to be excited about there
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Proline Releases a $600 Lexan Body <-That's not a typo

Wait a minute its not April 1st is it?

I'd guess that Knight Customs is more to blame here since its clearly way more profitable for them than Proline, but still shame on Proline for getting so lazy.

I can see a big opening here for folks designing these parts themselves.

Close to a hard body detail with 4 times the price seriously why not just make a hardbody at this point?

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-25-2019 at 09:48 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Wait a minute its not April 1st is it?

I'd guess that Knight Customs is more to blame here since its clearly way more profitable for them than Proline, but still shame on Proline for getting so lazy.

I can see a big opening here for folks designing these parts themselves.

Also I dont think I'll ever look at a Knight Customs the same again. I knew they were unreasonably expensive but now I can see that they are just here to feed off the hobby and not to contribute a damn thing.

Close to a hard body detail with 4 times the price seriously why not just make a hardbody at this point?

It's also Proline's most expensive body, despite not being licensed.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'm torn about this. I really am.

On the one hand it's like GAD ZOOKS thats expensive!!!
And totally fitting for the 1:1 tacos that cost more than they should, imho.

Then I'm like well my crazy butt paid 300 for a 3d printed ford.
That could melt if the trail is hot enough.
How much different is that from this taco?

Oh. Right. ITS LEXAN. Really for this price could we at least get a hard body? Nope because it's not what proline does.

This whole thing is just crazy. I mean it should look gorgeous when finished, but... I dont know... How is one of these going to look after say, a dozen battery packs? Even more realistic? Or like scraped up 3d parts on a lexan lid? I'm really curious.

Is this going to be the rc4wd desert runner all over again?
We were all pretty divided by that thing. For the record I still want one. But this? This I don't... I dont know.
For me I dont really have any connection to the 2nd gen taco. Are they great trucks? HECK YES. Would I toss 600 at a body with crazy detail then put it on a totally inaccurate 4 link chassis? Nah. 4 leaf? Nope.
So here we are with this incredible expensive amazing body, and no real proper accurate chassis to put it on.
I think that's my biggest beef with this whole thing.

But yeah, I look forward to seeing what people do with these.

*WAITAMINUTE. 1UZFE V8??? when did the 2nd gen tacos ever come with those??!
Ok if we are going that nuts right out the gate I suppose SAS and 4 link isn't that farfetched.
Carry on, proline... You crazy mofos...
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

My question is why is this incomplete lexan portion of the body more expensive than their other bodies?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
My question is why is this incomplete lexan portion of the body more expensive than their other bodies?
I can only think because there was more development cost in this.

Someone asked knights customs on Instagram about how much it’d cost to get the body decked out as advertised, James responded that it “depends if you order from shapeways or wait for some of the print your own files”

His bronco interior on thingverse is a free download, if at least the major trim pieces make it on there it would help. Door handles, wipers, mirrors, grill, bumpers, and light buckets as free downloads would make this more palatable.

*edit - when ready the part files will be in myminifactory to buy. For example, the files for the new rooftop tent are 9.99. To order the rooftop top tent printed from shapeways it’s $33 (plus shipping if you don’t want it wait weeks).

Last edited by Topher Builds; 02-23-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

No thanks. I'll buy a nice lexan body for my Sport then buy another crawler, some Gearhead 1.9's, a bottle of crown royal and steaks for the bbq for that kind of dough and still have money left over for upgrades
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:26 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Absolutely ridiculous. Its lexan and 3d printed parts that will break the first time they touch a rock.

FFS, you can buy a completely custom one of a kind hard bodied truggy chassis with intricate cage work from a reputable builder for far less than that.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Proline Releases a $600 Lexan Body <-That's not a typo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
proline k5 Blazer + proline lexan interior? STANG KILLA SS General Scale Talk 2 06-27-2011 06:14 PM
Painting my XJ PROLINE SCX10 Lexan Body rusty577 Paint and Body 0 02-22-2011 04:57 AM
Clod Style lexan body???? not the proline 80 model. Stangrocka Paint and Body 5 05-26-2010 10:10 AM
Axial Releases Dingo Truck Body whipnet Paint and Body 32 08-26-2009 03:37 PM