Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Large Scale (1/8-1/5) anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Large Scale (1/8-1/5) anyone?

We've got 1/10 buggies and 1/8 buggies. Same for monster trucks and even touring cars...when's someone going to up the game and do a large scale crawler/scaler? Mini's and smaller scale rigs have been done to death...but outside of the Founder Jeep and Redcat's 1/5 whatever, no one's really gone bigger with scale rigs.

Why not?

Figure there's plenty of 2.2 tires out there, and AR6o size axles are the perfect size for a larger scale truck. With brushless/higher voltages and 400oz and up servos, I'd say power's certainly not a problem.

For the scale guys, bigger scale means you can really go to town on the scale details. It's much easier to work around/hide the components (motor, battery, etc) in a larger truck. Think of the engine bay detail alone you could do in a bigger truck...

Performance-wise, I've got 2 "large scale" trucks in the shop, and they are a blast to drive. Bigger and heavier, they drive in a much more realistic way than 1/10 scale trucks. The trails and crawl spots you are used to in 1/10 are totally different when you've got a big 30" 15lb truck with 6" tires.

I'm hearing some rumblings about an "XL" rig from one of the big players in the scale market, but nothing official so far. Frankly, I'd love to see it..the 1/10 scale market is a bit saturated imo. Most trucks coming out now are slightly different takes on the same basic platform. I'd be interested in the new Redcat or Venture, but they are so similar to what I already have I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

I'm picturing a 1/8 30" long TRX-4 of some variety... Or a SCX10 XL...AR60 width axles with SCX10II diffs. Can't think of a downside other than price and a very sore arm if you have a walk of shame. Carried my big Ram out of the woods once and my arms were singing Ava Maria by the time I got out to the parking lot

Food for thought....
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Large Scale (1/8-1/5) anyone?

I like the idea, but my wallet and wife are screaming loud enough about all the space I’m already taking up with my rigs, not sure where I could hide a 1/5th.....

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Zero interest in a larger scale platform.

I don't see the point in something that rolls over stuff easier than a standard sized scale truck but is inherently less capable than a Bomber/Wraith.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

ive got a project in the works. scale works out to about just larger than 1/6.
tube frame crawler on 40 series. 8.5" Rok Lox
20" WB
#projectgoliath

printed chubs made it possible. here they are next to SCX10 chubs

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 02-26-2019 at 08:14 AM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I attempted a large scale crawler and found the parts cant handle that kinda weight lol well more the axles lol

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #6

Capo trucks are slightly larger and certainly more scale.

I just don't think large scale is going to sell much since it's such a niche market and lots of people don't have the money nor room to run or store them.

I really wanna build that GI Joe Willy's Jeep. For some reason it's not building itself. Every time I see your large scale Ram out in the trail I'm jealous!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I don't see the point in something that rolls over stuff easier than a standard sized scale truck but is inherently less capable than a Bomber/Wraith.
Drive over bigger stuff. In the same way you tackle a trail different with a smaller CMX, you tackle it different with a larger rig. I drive the same basic trail loop with my CFX, BOM and 1/6 Ram and it's different every time. Each truck goes about it differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
ive got a project in the works. scale works out to about just larger than 1/6. tube frame crawler on 40 series. 8.5" Rok Lox 20" WB #projectgoliath
I love it.... I have the same tires, just have no idea what to put them on. I am debating using E-maxx assemblies for suspension and a tube frame as well. I have a 1/5 lexan body, but it's just too small for those tires.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm not sure if the market wants it or not, but I agree that it would yield some fantastic scale details. It would make it another level harder to identify it as an RC vs a 1:1.

If you can find terrain appropriate for a 1/10 scale crawler, or a 1:1 crawler, it follows that some folks would be able to find terrain suitable for a larger scale crawler.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

There's a few of us that have the 1/6 Jeeps, you've got the Dodge, and there's others out there with Fords and Hummers. I've got a couple 1/8 Dodge's. Just a matter of enough of us showing up (at the same time) to comps to create a category for us to compete.

Once the manufacturers see there is enough of an interest in the Large Scale rigs they may produce a model or two.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:52 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Im not gonna lie the hummer was still a blast to run... Just with the crappy plastic they use to make some of these awesome bodies makes it real hard to replace and i wish parts were alittle more durable. Wraith axles make a perfect fit for all those bodies. I guess the best way to build these rigs is the makem as light as possible cause regardless theyre gonna be heavy

Old 02-27-2019, 12:44 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I am 100% pro larger scalers.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:04 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I just don't think large scale is going to sell much since it's such a niche market and lots of people don't have the money nor room to run or store them.
Crawlers and scalers were once a "niche market" too. Now they are the hottest thing in RC. IF there was ever going to be a time to do a larger scale, it's now.

Was looking at the Traction hobby trucks. Exactly what I'm thinking.. locking diffs, 2 speed, 2/4WD....pretty slick. Going bigger allows you to cram more in there. 670mm long with 2.2's and a 374mm WB. Definitely an XL

Traction Hobby Cragsman C Ford Raptor F150*rc crawler clear Manufacturers,Supplier,Exporter,Factory - tractionhobby.com

I'm thinking Axial is in the best position to do it. Many of the components are already in house. Use AR60's, stamp out a 30-40% larger chassis similar to an SCX10, and drop a large body on it.. Doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles that the Traction truck has as that would make it much more expensive.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Crawlers and scalers were once a "niche market" too. Now they are the hottest thing in RC. IF there was ever going to be a time to do a larger scale, it's now.

Was looking at the Traction hobby trucks. Exactly what I'm thinking.. locking diffs, 2 speed, 2/4WD....pretty slick. Going bigger allows you to cram more in there. 670mm long with 2.2's and a 374mm WB. Definitely an XL

Traction Hobby Cragsman C Ford Raptor F150*rc crawler clear Manufacturers,Supplier,Exporter,Factory - tractionhobby.com

I'm thinking Axial is in the best position to do it. Many of the components are already in house. Use AR60's, stamp out a 30-40% larger chassis similar to an SCX10, and drop a large body on it.. Doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles that the Traction truck has as that would make it much more expensive.
Very true!

The Traction stuff does look nice, but I haven't seen any reviews on their stuff.

EDIT: You can get yourself a nice Cragsman 1/8th scale Raptor in RTR form for only $1,459.99, but there's a $3 new user coupon! What a deal!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/B-KM...946500591.html

I think if a company is willing to offer a 1/5th scale monster truck that's approaching $3,000 then there's probably somebody willing to take the gamble on a crawler.

Look at the size of this thing compared to a Tamiya Clod Buster! Insanity!

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 02-27-2019 at 06:25 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:37 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

These videos seem relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akDpfV-wY5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDxinpch3DI
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Very true!

The Traction stuff does look nice, but I haven't seen any reviews on their stuff.

EDIT: You can get yourself a nice Cragsman 1/8th scale Raptor in RTR form for only $1,459.99, but there's a $3 new user coupon! What a deal!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/B-KM...946500591.html

I think if a company is willing to offer a 1/5th scale monster truck that's approaching $3,000 then there's probably somebody willing to take the gamble on a crawler.

Look at the size of this thing compared to a Tamiya Clod Buster! Insanity!

Yea to bad it isnt electric i couldnt listen to that beast on the trails no matter how nice it is. Its nice to be able to go for a trail ride and actually hear urself think and see wildlife. Not go for a trailride with a whipper snipper or lawnmower lmao but that is just my thoughts

Old 02-27-2019, 06:57 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Drive over bigger stuff. In the same way you tackle a trail different with a smaller CMX, you tackle it different with a larger rig. I drive the same basic trail loop with my CFX, BOM and 1/6 Ram and it's different every time. Each truck goes about it differently.
I have a Bomber, my buddies have Wraiths and Bombers; one even has a 8x8 Unimog with AR60s on 5.5 inch tires and a mega truck with Yeti XL solid axles. All of them just sit on the shelf these days. The big tire trucks are dead around here and I don't see a bigger version of a SCX10 changing that. It's not that the larger platform idea doesn't have merit, I just don't have any want or need for one nor do I see a demand around this area.

After the novelty of "it's bigger, how cool is that?" wears off, how long would people stay interested in it? Maybe, if the larger platform was used for heavy duty and military type trucks since the real versions are appropriately larger than the Jeeps/Toyotas/Broncos/etc. of the current scale size.

Something like the CXT could possibly interest me but not just a bigger version of a Land Rover or something like that.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I think the Wraith and Bomber and are fine for most people looking to get into a bigger scale, although it wouldn't hurt to get some more options for AR60 sized scalers. I don't think the majority would be interested in the price increase let alone the storage of the bigger 24"+ trucks. I also think theres an inverse scale factor where going bigger doesn't make most trails more fun unless they already have terrain that isn't normally able to be driven by 1/10s or 5.5" tire rigs.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

This is my Founder...I absolutely love the size!!! It's a ton easier to work on with interior and hiding shizzle. The scale can utilize 2.2 tires and honestly, it's not huge! I think it has a 16 inch wheelbase for this one. I'm sold on the idea. 1/8 scale for the win!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEa-sKB8b6I
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #19
RCC Addict

This is the one video that makes me salivate for a big crawler. I was okay not having a 1/6 scale until I saw this.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Heres a couple old vids of mine from some build of mine and buddies

https://youtu.be/LO0usAmlIPQ

https://youtu.be/q05Caip_AAg

https://youtu.be/EMhg6c689Hs

https://youtu.be/lR_LOZb4Dl8

https://youtu.be/o1gWOweB5aY

Large Scale (1/8-1/5) anyone? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
large scale axle question from a tenth scale guy... summervillecrawler Large Scale Rigs 6 02-02-2012 06:49 AM
LARGE scale R/C's! Very LARGE! CBR Chit Chat 9 04-16-2009 11:55 AM