Notices

Thread: "Like" Button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Like" Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
My apologies, I misread what you wrote originally.

Naturally, if there is an issue you can hit the report post button or send me a PM

To say I don't care is a bit of stretch, but for some reason, I feel like you have some underlying issues with me after your PMs from yesterday. Is what it is, I'm doing the best I can...
No underlying issues here.

Clearly, the forum needs help, all it had for awhile was THX_138.

Now that you are the big kahuna, I cant cut any slack, I ratchet down the strap even tighter.

Understand that i only want what is best for the forum, for the mods to act as a team and enforce a set of rules in place.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #42
RCC Addict

For the record, not a big like button fan.

That being said the like button saved facebook, one of the largest tech companies in the world. I get you don't want to be facebook....

All that being said it is foolish not to keep it. By the time your experiment gives you data to make a decision you will have already discouraged the people who use it an will have lost traffic and members that are not easily recovered.

It is pretty foolish to think that you can do better as a part time Admin, full time working man, the facebook can with scores of fulltime staff.

I am glad you are trying, but please consider the consequences of your choices.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #43
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
No underlying issues here.

Clearly, the forum needs help, all it had for awhile was THX_138.

Now that you are the big kahuna, I cant cut any slack, I ratchet down the strap even tighter.

Understand that i only want what is best for the forum, for the mods to act as a team and enforce a set of rules in place.

Hardly the big kuhuna... that would be Badger and Jason...

Feel free to ratchet the strap till it burst, I'm not sure what that is going to accomplish though...Honestly, dictating to the staff here is not the way though, at least not IMO...I worked with a guy in my unit who often said its easier to catch the fly with honey then it is with shit. I'm all for suggestions and I am gonna keep an open mind going forward

Understand that I too want only whats best for this place... I don't know how I can make that any more clear at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
For the record, not a big like button fan.

That being said the like button saved facebook, one of the largest tech companies in the world. I get you don't want to be facebook....

All that being said it is foolish not to keep it. By the time your experiment gives you data to make a decision you will have already discouraged the people who use it an will have lost traffic and members that are not easily recovered.

It is pretty foolish to think that you can do better as a part time Admin, full time working man, the facebook can with scores of fulltime staff.

I am glad you are trying, but please consider the consequences of your choices.

Were not Facebook... and as I already stated its a pilot program...if its hurting the forum I am sure Badger will be the first to tell me I was wrong and turn it back on... But at the end of the day a forum requires participation... How far would a thread get if it never had a single reply? if all it had were likes? it would be buried and gone just like when guys post stuff on Facebook...How many build threads do you see on Facebook flowing like they do on a forum?

*Edit*

I think its foolish for someone to not have stepped up to try and make this place better...Someone had to do something... This place needs administration and active moderators

Then it needs the administration to use social media outlets to bring traffic here...

There are a lot of needs...again, I am doing my best to iron it all out

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 03-12-2019 at 07:24 AM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Good luck using social media to get people back on here.. You will get 1 of the 3.. "Whats that?" "That dusty old thing?" Or "what is a rcc?" People know what it is. Just dont want/like to use it anymore.

Ill send you a pm Mike.

Also, im not Dicktating what you should do with a situation. Im just an extra set of eyes that knows the rules. Dont look at it any other way. I dont play nice, I play fair.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #45
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Good luck using social media to get people back on here.. You will get 1 of the 3.. "Whats that?" "That dusty old thing?" Or "what is a rcc?" People know what it is. Just dont want/like to use it anymore.

Ill send you a pm Mike.

Also, im not Dicktating what you should do with a situation. Im just an extra set of eyes that knows the rules. Dont look at it any other way. I dont play nice, I play fair.

I’ll agree to disagree with you on utilizing social media. It’s not the only avenue but it’s an avenue none the less.

10-4 on the PM
Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you will get it later, locked ot of Private messaging anybody at the moment.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hardly the big kuhuna... that would be Badger and Jason...

Feel free to ratchet the strap till it burst, I'm not sure what that is going to accomplish though...Honestly, dictating to the staff here is not the way though, at least not IMO...I worked with a guy in my unit who often said its easier to catch the fly with honey then it is with shit. I'm all for suggestions and I am gonna keep an open mind going forward

Understand that I too want only whats best for this place... I don't know how I can make that any more clear at this point.

Were not Facebook... and as I already stated its a pilot program...if its hurting the forum I am sure Badger will be the first to tell me I was wrong and turn it back on... But at the end of the day a forum requires participation... How far would a thread get if it never had a single reply? if all it had were likes? it would be buried and gone just like when guys post stuff on Facebook...How many build threads do you see on Facebook flowing like they do on a forum?

*Edit*

I think its foolish for someone to not have stepped up to try and make this place better...Someone had to do something... This place needs administration and active moderators

Then it needs the administration to use social media outlets to bring traffic here...

There are a lot of needs...again, I am doing my best to iron it all out

People have offered to step up and either it goes ignored of THX_138 shytes all over it.

I have expressed my support for you trying earlier in this thread. However getting defensive and shitting on the suggestion already shows how you are going to fail.

All you were asked to do was to consider the consequences of your actions. You were not asked to reverse your decision or make any changes.

Don't get me wrong I have no illusions that I am special. I am just one of many people here that are active, who generate the content that draws in search engines and traffic. That being said you have made it perfectly clear that you don't actually give a shyte about doing anything past what you want to do.

I see no reason to invest anymore time in this place. Don't waste your time replying as I will not bother reading anything further on RCC.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Looks like you will get it later, locked ot of Private messaging anybody at the moment.

Only on Tapatalk something going on with that.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #49
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
People have offered to step up and either it goes ignored of THX_138 shytes all over it.

Im not THx_138 and that wasnt his nor my decission

I have expressed my support for you trying earlier in this thread. However getting defensive and shitting on the suggestion already shows how you are going to fail.

Im not getting defensive, upset, or anything, im just simply trying to explain the situation at hand to the best of my ability. But to say im going to fail is pretty harsh no? You say you wanna step up and help but then your wishing I fail?

All you were asked to do was to consider the consequences of your actions. You were not asked to reverse your decision or make any changes.

Again, it has been considered, its a pilot program...things need to change around here, it doesnt have the traffic it once had and there are many of reasons for that.

Don't get me wrong I have no illusions that I am special. I am just one of many people here that are active, who generate the content that draws in search engines and traffic. That being said you have made it perfectly clear that you don't actually give a shyte about doing anything past what you want to do.

I 200% disagree with that, for years I have seen posts of people complaining there is a lack of administration and moderator presence etc...and now, the second there is, and the moment you don't agree with something you threaten to leave? how is that helpful?

I see no reason to invest anymore time in this place. Don't waste your time replying as I will not bother reading anything further on RCC.

Well I am going to reply, because I feel its warranted and because I want to be an administrative presence on the forum. I'm sorry you feel the way you do and I hope you'll reconsider

hope that clears things up
Old 03-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #50
RCC Addict

I can't believe the negativity going on in this thread, somebody is finally stepping up to the plate to try and revive this place and all they get is bashed. Change isn't gonna happen immediately, this train has been stuck at the bottom of the hill for a long time and trains take a long time to get going again. I love this place and if I had the time and the knowledge I'd step up and help too.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #51
Gold Star Baby!

This change is like taking your pants off when you just need to tie your shoe though.

All for trying things, but taking away a layer of interaction for the sake of interaction is counter productive.

The idea that any information regarding the stats before and after the like button being reliable data and corollary to the single action of disabling the like button is not sound either.

The only reason this seemed to happen is because the people that have been around for a while still think they can throw a pigskin over them mountains over there.

The old times aren’t coming back. Trying to force them to come back this way is just going to discourage those that are keeping the forum active today.

I digress, I’ve expressed my opinion a handful of times now so I’ll leave it at that. I hope I’m wrong and that things will be back to normal in a few days.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #52
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
The idea that any information regarding the stats before and after the like button being reliable data and corollary to the single action of disabling the like button is not sound either.

Can you elaborate on this? If the like button is enabled, and there are only 20 new posts, and with it disabled there are 40 new posts, inst that data? Am I wrong that thinking forums require participation in the form of threads/posts and then replies? I understand the old days arent coming back, thats a given, what I am trying to accomplish is a new set of days which are productive. In the old days, we didnt have a like button and we had threads with replies, I am under the impression and belief that replies are needed to carry forward. Again, just my opinion.

Your feedback and constructive criticism is appreciated either way, and I will be making sure to have Badger review this thread, as ultimately, he has the final say.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #53

You know what change would be great? Having this forum automatically resize large photos to 1280 x 720 or whatever is deemed the max these days. Oversized photos are thread killers.

Now that somebody gives a shit there are going to be a lot of requests. I know it'll take time to implement them.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I say the like button stays off.

I never posted because of likes in my threads. Only posted because of the replies and progress i make.

We dont post our builds for other people to own right? Like the saying goes, its my truck and i payed for these parts?

Idk. The pm button is working for me now but takes like 5 smashes for it to work.

I gotta get back to work on my super.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #55
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You know what change would be great? Having this forum automatically resize large photos to 1280 x 720 or whatever is deemed the max these days. Oversized photos are thread killers.

Now that somebody gives a shit there are going to be a lot of requests. I know it'll take time to implement them.
Quote:
I say the like button stays off.

I never posted because of likes in my threads. Only posted because of the replies and progress i make.

We dont post our builds for other people to own right? Like the saying goes, its my truck and i payed for these parts?

Idk. The pm button is working for me now but takes like 5 smashes for it to work.

I gotta get back to work on my super.

Appreciate the feedback, I am starting a list of things to review with John/Badger.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
The like button has been disabled as a pilot program I discussed with Badger... we are gonna test the waters without it and see if activity increases.

I’ve been a firm believer that the like button is no good... forums require participation and liking a thread doesn’t generate that IMO.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Badger tonight, We discussed many of things and I also spoke with Jason.

I want this forum to be back to what it used to be... Badger has given me administrative powers so I can assist with issues larger then that of what a moderator can handle.

I hope we can all work together as a community to turn this place around. Get threads and post counts back up, bring vendors back, hopefully swag and just overall move this place forward and back to the top where it once was

I don't really care, a IDGAF kind of guy, but removing the 'like' feature will do nothing to improve the forum. The most popular forums on the internet ALL have them, the ones that don't are missing it. So whomever made the call is simply unformed.

And the success of or participation in a forum doesn't have to do with a like button, or really any particular feature or function, and much to do with the topics that the members have interest in. Creating 'stuff' is not what drives people.

Additionally, there's nothing 'wrong' with this forum, it's well run (reads: loosely) and there are plenty of participants based on the subject matter. When a forum starts interjecting into everything using a heavy handed moderation then people leave. That's just the way it is.

I have also found that forums are not losing favor, but people come and go in a particular interest. The rise and fall of other social media is independent of forums activity. It's a different platform, so trying to somehow compete would be a folly.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #57
RCC Addict

PM on Tapatalk still not working for me and its sluggish as hell refreshing. I can PM on Chrome for Android though.

Edit,
All good now!

Last edited by kincer; 03-12-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Never cared for or against the like button, wont be a determining factor for me.

I'm glad to see someone stepping up and being proactive about the longevity of the forum. I won't be short sighted enough to believe I know the correct way to govern things, and I hope nobody else here is either. Should we have a set of rules and a group of dedicated folks to enforce them? Absolutely so. Without such, it would devolve into chaos. That being said, every rule has a grey area that MOST rational people can differentiate. It's someone with small man syndrome who can't ever see any rational reason for making an exception. Those exceptions CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be made based on personal feeling however. Its really not hard.

I don't know THX, until now I wasn't aware it was he/she that was an issue, but I will say I believe our moderators going forward should be active members of our forum. I can't honestly say I've seen a RECENT tech or any other post by THX. That's not a knock on the person, just an observation. A moderator should be an active person in the current, regardless of activity and contribution in the past.

Just one mans opinion, take it with a grain of salt as such.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
I have a question. Since the "like" button is gone I would assume there is going to be an increase in the classic one liner "sweet rig" posts. So with that being the case how do you tell who is sincere about it and who is trying to get their post count up so they can see the classifieds section? Obviously those that have been here a while and have more posts are not looking to get into the classifieds section but legit newbies not trying to get into the classifieds now could get their post counts reset in error.

^^This. "Likes" take the place of worthless one-line posts.

And the 'should' factor with some people here is beyond - some people just 'should' other people to death. No mature adult needs somebody telling them what they 'should' do.

And a further point on moderation in general...
Another forum I frequent is of a particular automotive interest, and had a heavy-handed moderation - threads were rearranged, duplicates merged, any word considered PG or above was blanked out, it was like a forum for children. And members left in droves, or simply did not participate. When you put people in charge the power goes to their head. IMO a forum is about free expression - it doesn't need somebody lording over everybody being a hall monitor. This is what will further kill your forum. Just leave everybody alone and let them freely express themselves. That's what people really like.

The forum I mentioned finally gave up trying to over-moderate and just let people post and guess what? It took off with more activity than ever.
While surely there are some children present, this forum is for adults. I say just let them be adults, this isn't grade school.

Having been involved with the internet since it was dos-based, a black screen with white type, and thousands of forums, having a job as a distribution/ecommerce website and network administrator, I do have a very keen knowledge of how things work. Or as they say, this isn't my first rodeo. :-)

Last edited by Browneye; 03-12-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #60
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this? If the like button is enabled, and there are only 20 new posts, and with it disabled there are 40 new posts, inst that data? Am I wrong that thinking forums require participation in the form of threads/posts and then replies? I understand the old days arent coming back, thats a given, what I am trying to accomplish is a new set of days which are productive. In the old days, we didnt have a like button and we had threads with replies, I am under the impression and belief that replies are needed to carry forward. Again, just my opinion.

Your feedback and constructive criticism is appreciated either way, and I will be making sure to have Badger review this thread, as ultimately, he has the final say.
Replies are needed, but where we disagree is the implication the Like button has on those. Perhaps back when the Like button was just introduced and people were adjusting how they interact on this forum it made an impact. But now with it being established people will behave how they behave. Based off my own experience since last night, there’s been a handful of posts that I would have liked but still have not replied on today because I have nothing to say. I just liked the post. Beyond that, there’s the whole quality over quantity. Getting 3 more people to post “cool truck bro” in a thread isn’t increasing any kind of valuable traffic.

Regarding the data, there’s no control in place. This thread alone could blow up that data as if it wasn’t here we wouldn’t be debating and running up post counts. Let’s say you disabled likes two weeks ago and then the traxxas blazer came out. We all posted a lot there about that and the sport kit. Would have had nothing to do with disabling the likes.

You may have gotten more useful info by just asking for people’s intentions. A poll with “would removing the like button make you post more?” And if the response to that poll wasn’t an overwhelming majority then I think you’d have your answer.

I appreciate you considering these thoughts and I’m not trying to be a pain. I work 15+ hour days regularly and this place keeps me sane, I need this forum to thrive.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote

"Like" Button - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airtronics M11 settings for "push-button" dig control John Hallman Electronics 8 09-21-2010 08:48 PM
"Hide Forum" button? microgoat Comments, Suggestions, and Help 11 04-05-2006 11:30 AM
project "search button",my TLT Chevy 72Blazer Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 03-04-2006 06:57 PM