Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: "Like" Button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Like" Button

How about be keep the shovel nosed trash on Facebook and off of rcc.

Id rather see quality builds here than shocks for links.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #82
RCC Addict

I'm not going to die on the hill that we "need" the like button so to speak but I still think it's just a nice convenience. As I've said before, If I post something and it gets a "like" thats as good to me as someone replying to my post with "nice". It also functions as an "I agree/Good point/Well said" type thing when it came to arguments. I also just thought of the old days where you had to "reserve post" so you could go back and edit pics in later to counter the first page of comments.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

So reading through this....

This is the first time I have seen a mod this active in any thread, in a LONG time.

This is what is needed in my Opinion. Personally i'm a numbers guy, I like seeing stats, so loosing the Like button is disappointing but not the end of the world.

This forum was the first forum I ever joined, gave me a ton of experience in the matters and has mellowed out significantly in the 8 or so years I have been on. Newb bashing is gone and many of the more experienced members actually try to help the new members.

I have and will be always trying to help, but have never bought a star. Maybe its time.

I would like this forum to be around for a 20th anniversary.

As far as SGB.... I have never felt welcomed there, unlike RCC.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Liking all these comments. But no 'like' button. LOL

@WHITE-TRASH - I knew that. "Like".
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'm somewhat indifferent on the loss of the "like" button. I liked having it, but I've been on forums for over 20 years, and none of them had a "like" button until recently. We all did just fine without them.

Historically, forums provided 2 very important things: Social interaction, and a repository for information & ideas that was easily accessed. The former has been largely decimated because of Facebook, but the latter is one area where forums have a MAJOR advantage. I think it's a losing battle to try and boost interaction by trying to appeal to people's social tendencies. I think that ship already sailed. It's my opinion that the forum can become most healthy by playing to its strengths. Promote build threads and technical exchange.

Here are a couple ideas:
1. Add "build of the month" contests where a different theme or category is chosen each month. 10 contestants are chosen on a first-come first-served basis, then they post pics of their rig along with a link to their build thread on RCC. Members vote on it, and the winner gets a "great job" and a pic of his rig on the front of the forum for the month. This has been very popular over at rc10talk and I think it would be popular here. God knows there's an almost endless supply of high quality builds that could be highlighted this way.

2. Encourage vendors to do product announcements & giveaways here. Every time a vendor does a giveaway, the thread gets huge.

3. Start a "news" section of the forum that's devoted just to emerging product announcements & vendor news. This can even be bot-populated like it was on Ultimate RC. It creates a concise location for this sort of thing, which can help stimulate discussion.

4. Bite the bullet and create an RCC Facebook page, instagram page, & twitter account. There's a shitload of people on FB crawler groups who don't know about and/or don't use RCC. It's time to get some of them to come here, and FB is the way to do it. ESPECIALLY if they realize that RCC offers something that FB doesn't (As I mentioned above). Other forums are successful in doing this. There can be all of the non-tech/social conversation & pic whoring imaginable on the FB group to build membership, and then certain items such as the build of the month winner mentioned above, tech nuggets, and selected vendor posts that can be brought over to FB with links back here. There's software out there that will automatically push forum content to those platforms. When I ran an IROC-Z forum my admin had some sort of script set up that pushed some of our forum highlights to those platforms and it brought people to the forum. Even if it was used JUST for Build Of The Month and Vendor giveaway threads, it would still be useful for getting new people here.
They do have one

https://www.facebook.com/RCCrawler/

Maybe not the same owners, maybe they are.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #86
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
How about be keep the shovel nosed trash on Facebook and off of rcc.

Id rather see quality builds here than shocks for links.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I hear ya. Farcebook is terrible.

While I an taking the time to post, I just want to acknowledge those who took out the time to write 'like' in reference to my post. Its nice to know my observations are appreciated. There are many views here which I sense are in line with my experience, so back atcha with the LIKES!

this is funny
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I see they took the "Like" button, and "Likes" tally down.
I don't like this. Noticed when it happened, but was waiting to post anything, looks like it's already a topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Well vbulletin is at version 5.5 and we are at 3.8.7 so it's just as likely that the like mod is no longer supported.

I honestly can't believe this forum hasn't been hacked, with all the security vulnerabilities.

Either way some people don't want the like function so some folks will see it as a positive change.

Now what is natedog going to do
Yes, site is way behind the times on Vbulletin version, non-secure meaning not https site, still on http etc.

Dangit, right? I foresee more sweet truck, nice rims type posting. Many times I like or agree with what's posted but not much more to add...so avoid posting 'sweet truck'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I've said it before that I don't think removing the Like button is going to create more posting, but I hope I'm wrong.
It might, but not any posts that add value to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
The like button has been disabled as a pilot program I discussed with Badger... we are gonna test the waters without it and see if activity increases.

I’ve been a firm believer that the like button is no good... forums require participation and liking a thread doesn’t generate that IMO.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Badger tonight, We discussed many of things and I also spoke with Jason.

I want this forum to be back to what it used to be... Badger has given me administrative powers so I can assist with issues larger then that of what a moderator can handle.

I hope we can all work together as a community to turn this place around. Get threads and post counts back up, bring vendors back, hopefully swag and just overall move this place forward and back to the top where it once was
That's good news, glad to see some proactive work here, always appreciate your work here. Please positively address the basic issues to make this site great again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
...Or bring back the “awesome star holding member giveaways”

Photo contests with free swag from sponsors.

Spotlight threads as chosen by the admin or have high activity/interest

Do something to encourage referral of new members

RCC swag giveaway like decals for post milestones

Top activity leaderboards in last 30 days
X1000

Edit, forum had many more sweet builds back in the day, but there were many newbs driven away instantly. I don't want Farcebook junk posting stuff in here, but it's better now that we're mostly trying to help newbs build better crawlers. A little search before posting goes a long way though.

Last edited by Natedog; 03-12-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #88
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I have been a paying member on here for a few years and have really enjoyed this place. There is a cool group of guys on here I enjoy chatting with and sharing some project work. My membership is up for renewal shortly. This is the first time I have contemplated not renewing. I guess we will see how things play out.
Mine expires today.

Last week I was contemplating buying the next level up just to help contribute. Not saying this to be a Richard, but now I’m going to wait a week to make sure that most of the regulars stick around. I fully expect to renew, but now it’s just not a no brainer like it was before.

It seems that most of us here either appreciate the like button or are indifferent. Yet the one guy that actively dislikes it has the button, so here we are.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Likes were absolutely worthless and in the grand scheme of things mean nothing at all. Want people to take note of what you're doing? Update often with something, it doesn't have to be some epic high dollar mod or part but something of substance will always grab attention. It is very rare for a neat rig or build to not catch peoples eye.
I've seen plenty of really cool continuously updated threads where the only other sign of life was the 'likes'. Also it's not just sweet rigs and builds that are benefited by the 'like' feature. Many times someone might ask a question and receive a 'like' meaning 'yes'. In that aspect, it saves whatever thread from becoming cluttered with potentially off-topic discussion.

Much respect to people like 1BJB that are trying to do the best thing for the overall community. I appreciate that people care enough about this forum to listen to opinions and suggestions. Even though I'm a newcomer here, I know that no forum in 2019 is going to ever be what it once was no matter what admin/ mods do. Continued respect to everyone here that does what they can to provide accurate and unbiased information to those of us that are new to all of this.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

Interesting... We now have 5 pages of banter about this topic. All in a short period of time. I wish we had more build posts with this kind of action! It's hot in here. I need some air. =)
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #91
Sinking with the ship

I’ve been in a hearing, I am catching up and will reply when I’m in front the computer.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Posts #82 - 90
"Like"

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #93

I saw it mentioned that top poster charts would be a good idea. As silly as that stuff seems it does act as motivation for some people to post.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Mike, I appreciate your devotion passion and efforts.

One of the things RCC has that nobody else has is the largest information bank on RC crawling vehicles in the world (2004- 2019) How to build them trouble shoot and repair them. Is there a way to take that library and history to a Facebook page that would bring redirect interested Facebook viewers back to the RCC site for that information? Maybe access to that information shouldn't free to non-members and requires a membership? To me that information makes RCC a one of a kind site compared to anyone but especially Facebook.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 03-13-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #95
RCC Addict

I agree there is no other place to go to find all the info that is here, even if it's not here someone will help you, now it might be with a smart ass remark but they will help you and that's the bottom line, this is the go to site.

I don't agree with paying for info though, I had to edit that comment in here.

I miss the 12 days of Xmas giveaways those were always fun, never won anything but it was fun to participate. But yeah things like that are what bring people here too and glad to see they are working on stuff like that too!

Last edited by kincer; 03-12-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added to post
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post

One of the things RCC has that nobody else has is the largest information bank on RC crawling vehicles in the world (2004- 2019) How to build them trouble shoot and repair them. Is there a way to take that library and history to a Facebook page that would bring interested Facebook viewers back to the RCC site for that information? Maybe access to that information shouldn't free to non-members and requires a membership? To me that information makes RCC a one of a kind site compared to anyone but especially Facebook.
Making people pay for what's been readily available for years isn't usually a good way to gain traffic at a site.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post

One of the things RCC has that nobody else has is the largest information bank on RC crawling vehicles in the world (2004- 2019) How to build them trouble shoot and repair them. Is there a way to take that library and history to a Facebook page that would bring interested Facebook viewers back to the RCC site for that information? Maybe access to that information shouldn't free to non-members and requires a membership? To me that information makes RCC a one of a kind site compared to anyone but especially Facebook.
I don't pay to be here, but I share a lot of my time and knowledge with the site. That's how I contribute. Is that not worth something?

Forums are a dying breed. Good luck getting a paid-only membership forum to survive. Paid online magazines, that were once print magazines, are even having trouble surviving.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

1badjeepbruiser so glad to see your planned changes here! Your building skills are incredible and thats what this forum needs is a guy deeply involved in the hobby. Your not a vendor or sponsered by any entity. You are just a passionate member of the rc community looking to save an important resource for all thanks for stepping up to the plate Mike!
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Dang, I'd like a lot more of the posts here...if there was a 'like' button.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #100
Sinking with the ship

I appreciate the PMs from those who have reached out, like i said from the beginning we are a community and we’re going to have to work together. With that said I still have a lot of discussion with Badger and Jason up coming, all I ask is for everyone’s patient and to keep an open mind anddddddd to keep the suggestions coming. I want to address the posts but I’m waiting to get on the Pc as it’ll be easier then my phone.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

"Like" Button - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airtronics M11 settings for "push-button" dig control John Hallman Electronics 8 09-21-2010 08:48 PM
"Hide Forum" button? microgoat Comments, Suggestions, and Help 11 04-05-2006 11:30 AM
project "search button",my TLT Chevy 72Blazer Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 03-04-2006 06:57 PM