Notices

Thread: "Like" Button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Like" Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I, like most of everyone else, have a job, personal life etc...however, anyone that knows me on a personal level knows my passion for RCs and how I feel about this forum...

So again, doing the best I can...
This is the key problem here. From the user perspective, Jason and Badger are absentee landlords, and aside from collecting $20 from those who still bother buying a start, have had little interaction with the forums to keep them going. They have turned the keys over to you, great, but other than are hardy pat on the back, what else are you getting out of it? If they are truly committed to having you revitalize these forums, they should cut you in as a partner, giving you more incentive than just pride for the work you are going to do. Hopefully they are.

Like a lot of us who remember the good'ol days of RCC, I'd love to see a lot of that come back. Lets face facts, FB is great for organizing local crawl events, something that RCC has always been lackluster at. But FB sucks horribly at hosting build threads, finding specific information, as well as connecting our niche of the RC community beyond our local areas.

Hopefully you have not taken any offence, none was intended.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Edit, forum had many more sweet builds back in the day, but there were many newbs driven away instantly. I don't want Farcebook junk posting stuff in here, but it's better now that we're mostly trying to help newbs build better crawlers. A little search before posting goes a long way though.
Fix the main search button on the forum! if you want to retain members (especially newbs), make it easier for them to find what they are looking for. I am aware that you can search in each individual forum, but that's nonsense.

Make posting pictures easier. Maybe without requiring a star, or a third party photo storage.

Maybe be more involved in some of the bigger national competitions or events.

Re arrange the threads so the popular ones are more towards the top, or a "whats trending" thread.
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #103
Rock Crawler

In my opinion, THE reason to come to RCC is the tech. You need to advertise that this is the best place on the internet for RC crawling tech. Period.

You also need to advertise this on the social media sights because that's were all the young guys are and frankly the noobs that need the tech the most. You need to figure out the best way to reach them. Members should help if they are on local groups by posting up links to pertinent information on RCC.

You can't have the best tech without a good way to find it. If you make the search function easier to use more people will use it. The search function is critical in the paradigm that RCC is THE best source of tech on the net.

The attitude of the OG's needs to be responsive and assisting to these new guys than it has in the past. A lot of these guys will never have been on a forum so they need to not be turned off by their first experience. The biggest help I think would be to promote the sight when people ask questions on places like Facebook. Now I'm not saying direct every window licker on Facebook that asks a question about a RC crawler here, use some good judgement, lol. That gets them here, then you just need to make the experience helpful.

In the end this place isn't going to make it with only one guy making the effort. You don't have to be a moderator to contribute. if we all just keep RCC in our minds when we are traveling the web and do what we can to guide people here, and make their trip here helpful to what they are looking for, we may be able to make this place better.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #104
RCC Addict

Great and well worded post! I'm not on any kind of social media other than here and Youtube but I try every chance I get to direct people here, the young guys at the local hobby shop didn't even know about Rcc, I kept mentioning Rcc there and no one knew what I was talking about and they were all working on scalers.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul shabinguez View Post
Fix the main search button on the forum! if you want to retain members (especially newbs), make it easier for them to find what they are looking for. I am aware that you can search in each individual forum, but that's nonsense.

Make posting pictures easier. Maybe without requiring a star, or a third party photo storage.

Maybe be more involved in some of the bigger national competitions or events.

Re arrange the threads so the popular ones are more towards the top, or a "whats trending" thread.
What's wrong with the search function? it works well for me in sections and at the top. I use Advanced search half the time.

Tapatalk makes posting pictures really easy. And its not to hard to go back and edit the pictures to make the post PC friendly.

NENC is coming up soon. Check in the competitions and events section. A forum itself isn't a vendor, so I don't completely understand what you are saying.

The popular threads are the ones getting posted in frequently. There is a NEW POSTS button torwards the top if you are not viewing from tapatalk.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
What's wrong with the search function? it works well for me in sections and at the top. I use Advanced search half the time.
It works fairly well, maybe make it a more prominent feature of the page? Maybe more advertisements about tech that guides them to the search function? You have been using it for years but think like somebody that has never been on a forum before. Make it easy to find, promote it more. Nobody wants to dig through a set of forum rules to figure out the best way to find something. People want information quickly.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

The google custom search is broken but directly above it is the other Search which is functional and can search the entire site not just sections or go advanced and have even more control.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #108
Suck it up!

I wouldn't worry about people making "nice truck" posts to access the classifieds vs people genuinely making "nice truck" posts because it is a nice truck. Mods can generally tell the difference between the two.

Active members only for mod duty? That's harsh, bro.

Forums aren't Facebook and never will be, but that doesn't mean that things can't be gleaned from their business model and utilized for our own good.

Forums are great for tech. 9 times out of 10 I'll browse a forum for an answer before calling tech support at work. RCC has a goldmine of tech, but it's probably due for some cleanup.

The gradual decline and near death of the giveaways was painful to watch. It was always one of my most favorite things to do. I've got some DCW stuff laying around that never went to market. I may do a giveaway just for shits and giggles.

Forums can't survive on member interaction alone. It needs ample participation from the staff, the vendors, and the event organizers. We've lost large numbers on all fronts, and we desperately need to get them back.

I've never had a problem with the search button. Just sayin'.

As a vendor, I found the like button hugely helpful. Maybe leave it on in the vendors and new products sections?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I've never had a problem with the search button. Just sayin'.

As a vendor, I found the like button hugely helpful. Maybe leave it on in the vendors and new products sections?
I would like to know where this google custom search function is.

I second the leaving it on in the New products and awesome deals section. but is that possible?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #110
Suck it up!

Quote:
I would like to know where this google custom search function is.

I second the leaving it on in the New products and awesome deals section. but is that possible?
Upper right hand corner. Not sure where it might show up on anything other than a web browser though.

No clue. With all of the other features that can be turned on/off in each section, I would guess that it can be done.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Tapatalk makes posting pictures really easy. And its not to hard to go back and edit the pictures to make the post PC friendly.

NENC is coming up soon. Check in the competitions and events section. A forum itself isn't a vendor, so I don't completely understand what you are saying.

The popular threads are the ones getting posted in frequently. There is a NEW POSTS button torwards the top if you are not viewing from tapatalk.
All your responses are valid....for current regular members.

The Google search function at the top right of every page doesn't work. It used to search all the forums. For example: try searching for feedback on a servo. It could be used in damn near every sub forum. It would be nice to search all at once again, from an easy to SEE and use search function.

Speaking of search functions......can someone tell me how to use the search drop down on a mobile device? Everytime I click on it to type, it disappears.

New member stumbles onto this forum, first thing he does is search for his crawler. Guess what, that search function is broken. Great first impression.

Tapatalk used to be garbage. Maybe it's better now, I'll give it another try.

I'm not saying sponsor every event. Maybe sponsor drivers? Throw a few banners out there.

Try to picture a popular thread section, which displays stuff from any sub thread. Not specific to a particular model. This might expose people to new vehicles they haven't looked at before.

Just some ideas by the way.
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #112
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul shabinguez View Post
The Google search function at the top right of every page doesn't work. It used to search all the forums. For example: try searching for feedback on a servo. It could be used in damn near every sub forum. It would be nice to search all at once again, from an easy to SEE and use search function.

Speaking of search functions......can someone tell me how to use the search drop down on a mobile device? Everytime I click on it to type, it disappears.
Pretty sure that the google search is just an add-on and not something that RCC controls. When you use it you're basically just using google to search this site.

I have the same issue on my android occasionally. Most likely a browser bug.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=Duuuuuuuude;5917863]Upper right hand corner. Not sure where it might show up on anything other than a web browser though.QUOTE]

That google thing doesn't show up on my laptop web browser. unless its supposed to be right under "log out" all it says there is "loading"
Old 03-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #114
Suck it up!

Quote:
That google thing doesn't show up on my laptop web browser. unless its supposed to be right under "log out" all it says there is "loading"
That's where it should be. Are you running an ad blocker?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
That's where it should be. Are you running an ad blocker?
Not sure, if the companies laptop was.. im sure the add's up top would be blocked too?
Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #116
RCC Addict

I'm on a bazillion forums and have never used any forums search function - google works way better anyway. Unless you know exactly what you're searching for, or you're searching for a specific user post.
Just try a topic in google with the [subject] space and site:rccrawler.com and you'll get all the threads on the subject. Way better results than any forum search function.
So, for example I wanted gear ratios for the new TRX sport kit so I would search: trx sport final gear ratio site:rccrawler.com
Try it. Google is way more efficient than any vbulletin forum code. Just sayin'.

For forums moderation, what other active forums do is assign active users that are the 'old guard' to be a section moderator that can deal with things in that specific area. They can elevate a case to a super mod. This way one person isn't burdened with every little thing that goes on, and sometimes just a friendly reminder from your section mod is all it takes to keep things in line.

Like no personal attacks or insults, crassness or nudity, you have basic rule infractions that you hold everybody to. Otherwise, let them post whatever the hell they want.

Personally, I don't come here for freebees and giveaways. I know they promote crawling events with raffles and prizes and all that but that's not what gets me there. I go for the crawling and the camaraderie.
The place has plenty of camaraderie if you post and interact with the other active members. IMO while it may not be what somebody remembers it was years ago, I just don't see it as broken. If people leave then that's up to them - you're always going to have that. If there's something here for them, like something they're interested in, or for some discussion or debate, then they can come back and participate.
BTW, the PB wheel give away for a photo thread was fantastic. If vendors want to do that nobody is gonna say 'no'!! That surely got a lot of members enthused and posting their rigs, didn't it?

While FB and their likes may be growing, specialty forums are not dying. Unless you make it so miserable that people just can't stand it. I've been in a few of those too, and no more. Usually it's heavy-handed moderators, or really crass people that just drive everybody else out.

Okay, I've rambled on enough. This is what I know about forums.

Last edited by Browneye; 03-12-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #117
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I'm on a bazillion forums and have never used any forums search function - google works way better anyway. Unless you know exactly what you're searching for.
Just try a topic in google with the [subject] space and site:rccrawler.com and you'll get all the threads on the subject. Way better results than any forum search function.
So, for example I wanted gear ratios for the new TRX sport kit so I would search: trx sport final gear ratio site:rccrawler.com
Try it. Google is way more efficient than any vbulletin forum code. Just sayin'.
Do you need to use the double dots? I can't remember what they are called lol
Old 03-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #118
RCC Addict

I suspect upgrading the forum software would also help the search function.

: = Colon
; = Semicolon

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-12-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #119
RCC Addict

Yes, a colon. Like this:
site:rccrawler.com
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #120
RCC Addict

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Like" Button - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airtronics M11 settings for "push-button" dig control John Hallman Electronics 8 09-21-2010 08:48 PM
"Hide Forum" button? microgoat Comments, Suggestions, and Help 11 04-05-2006 11:30 AM
project "search button",my TLT Chevy 72Blazer Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 03-04-2006 06:57 PM