Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Hiking To Special Crawl Spots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Hiking To Special Crawl Spots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Around here the US Forest circus will bust you for operating a motor vehicle pretty much anywhere on Forest circus property, which is where the decent trailing/scaling is at. And that's about the only publicly accessible land with any decent features around me within an hour in any direction.
Really? I drive on the Appalachian Trail fairly regularly and let a ranger drive my Honcho a little bit on the top of Springer Mountain last year. I have never had any problems on Forest Service land.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #22

I think he means full size motor vehicle, like an ATV or a truck or something like that. Not a rc truck.
Alteredgasser57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

NO, I meant our RC trucks. They ARE motorized, even though it's silly and laughable. It all depends on where you live, but around here they 100% do not want people out enjoying the public land unless you're a hiker only. A friend and fellow RCC member was stopped, harassed, and threatened with being ticketed, etc.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #24
Go Buckeyes!

Me and a few buddies were slow crawling over rocks and trails in a State Park here in Ohio. A ranger came up to us and told us we had leave. Ranger told us that RC's were not allowed in any Ohio State Park.

Now I know the trails were marked no motor vehicles, but I never imagined RC's would be banned. I can see if someone had a basher and was raising hell and tearing up the trails, but we were just creeping along the trails.

Lesson learned and haven't been back since. It just sucks because there aren't a lot of places around my area that I can go to unless I want to drive an hour or more.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #25

Quote:
NO, I meant our RC trucks. They ARE motorized, even though it's silly and laughable. It all depends on where you live, but around here they 100% do not want people out enjoying the public land unless you're a hiker only. A friend and fellow RCC member was stopped, harassed, and threatened with being ticketed, etc.
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of though. To the point where I think that "officer" needs to be fired for abusing power and being a prick.
My apologies, I stand corrected. I've been trailing at Lake MacBride state park in Iowa for a long time and have never had an issue, I've even advised a DNR officer on good starter rigs for him and his kids to get into the hobby, which is why I assumed your park's rules meant real motorized vehicles, not miniature motorized toys.

Last edited by Alteredgasser57; 04-03-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The day I let the ranger drive my truck he was up there with a couple of ridge runners and one of them asked him if my truck was considered a motorized vehicle and he laughed. He made some snide comment about them not knowing the difference between a toy and a motorized vehicle. I was just fine having my truck called a toy in this instance.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Like I said, it all depends on where you live and it's up to the interpretation of the ranger/officer that is present. I only posted it as a warning for others of what can happen. By definition they are motorized, so I'm sure if it went to court, the Forest circus would win. And since they're Federal officers, it'd be a Federal offense/case. Though I might win and get a judge that laughs and understands it's a toy, I'm not personally willing to go through the expense and hassle just to be right. My goal is to move out of this podunk shithole back to civilization where people use some common sense. Hell, I've been harassed by the Forest service for riding my motorcycle on gravel roads belonging to the Forest service before. And I was 100% legal to do so, tagged, insured, etc. Still rolled up with the blue lights on and harassed us. This whole area up here sucks for those that are into the outdoors, and you'd think it would be the exact opposite.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #28

You're right, definitely not worth the hassle of dealing with big headed pricks. But I wonder...So then would they be upset if a R/C Plane was flown over their land? That's a motorized vehicle to, but it isn't on the trail technically, just above it. I wonder how pissed off they would be if someone did that
Old 04-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

You said it yourself, it isn't touching Forest service land so should be fine.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
By definition they are motorized, so I'm sure if it went to court, the Forest circus would win.

They are motorized, but are they vehicles?
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #31

I'm restoring a '68 Chrysler, and I've never been more frustrated and fumed as I am now. I'm sorry you have to deal with that dude.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteredgasser57 View Post
I'm restoring a '68 Chrysler, and I've never been more frustrated and fumed as I am now. I'm sorry you have to deal with that dude.
It's absolutely ridiculous for sure. But I'm taking steps to fix it, by getting out of this podunk shithole.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
In my experience, it's better to carry gear, including a crawler, on your back. Racks and mountain bikes don't mix.
Agreed, if I MTB in I'll velcro strap my crawler to CamelBak, Osprey, Platypus or similar hydration pack with some basic tools, spares and snacks inside. TX actually velcro strapped to bars/stem and never came loose, out of the way too. I find a play spot off the main trail.

Hiking is a great option too and some of the best spots require an hour or more each way, although some great spots available that don't require much walking either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loaded up the Nashbar SS 29er and moved to a better crawl spot! Radio stayed put all the way out on dirt fire roads and single track...even the rocky rooty spots didn't shake it loose. Then the return trip mostly on paved path was no problem at all.

IMG_0516

Put some flat pedals back on, I wanted to hike around easily while crawling, not with carbon soled bike shoes lol.

IMG_0157

Ascender fastened to Camelbak with velcro straps (like battery strap, but longer and wider). I used 8" length Black Hook and Loop (Frys.com #3358942, Manufacturer: THE, UPC #050286806056, Model #20-8-0), but Fry's Electronics has them in 6" and 12" too. It took three of the 8" put together to hold transmitter to the stem and bars.
http://www.frys.com/product/3358942;...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

IMG_0518

Quote:
It's absolutely ridiculous for sure. But I'm taking steps to fix it, by getting out of this podunk shithole.
I hear ya, California isn't much better. :/
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, thanks love the cheap single speed rigid bike!

Eh not so much....as you said.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #35
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
They are motorized, but are they vehicles?
This^^

they are definitely NOT, by definition, vehicles.

What a weird thing. I would have told the Ranger to go climb a tree.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #36
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Here's my gear that day. Actually my daughter's Kona which is a wee bit too small, but bombproof, therefore good for the worst muck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Agreed, if I MTB in I'll velcro strap my crawler to CamelBak, Osprey, Platypus or similar hydration pack with some basic tools, spares and snacks inside. TX actually velcro strapped to bars/stem and never came loose, out of the way too. I find a play spot off the main trail.

Hiking is a great option too and some of the best spots require an hour or more each way, although some great spots available that don't require much walking either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loaded up the Nashbar SS 29er and moved to a better crawl spot! Radio stayed put all the way out on dirt fire roads and single track...even the rocky rooty spots didn't shake it loose. Then the return trip mostly on paved path was no problem at all.

IMG_0516

Put some flat pedals back on, I wanted to hike around easily while crawling, not with carbon soled bike shoes lol.

IMG_0157

Ascender fastened to Camelbak with velcro straps (like battery strap, but longer and wider). I used 8" length Black Hook and Loop (Frys.com #3358942, Manufacturer: THE, UPC #050286806056, Model #20-8-0), but Fry's Electronics has them in 6" and 12" too. It took three of the 8" put together to hold transmitter to the stem and bars.
http://www.frys.com/product/3358942;...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

IMG_0518

I hear ya, California isn't much better. :/
Combining Mountain Biking with RC is a brilliant idea. I need to get on this
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Around here the US Forest circus will bust you for operating a motor vehicle pretty much anywhere on Forest circus property, which is where the decent trailing/scaling is at. And that's about the only publicly accessible land with any decent features around me within an hour in any direction.
The last time I ran into any forest rangers while on a hike with the trucks they were good with me driving my little trucks on the trails and reminded us to be respectful of others, which we were. But this is also where one of the ski resorts area is and the let us go
About the only thing they told us was we could not go onto the protected area of the forest. Overall so far so good.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #38

Made it put to Eagle Rock Reservation thanks to AnimalHippie. This place is excellent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 05:36 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I bought one of these yesterday

I only wanted to get it to help my wife with the yard work

When I was assembling the contraption it suddenly occurred to me I could use this to haul several vehicles, tools, batteries, cameras, beverages, and even a folding chair.

I didn't say anything but when The Warden came outside and saw the cart, the fist thing she said was "Did you get that for rock crawin?"

So, this cart may have double duty - I'm thinking there are several trails that lead to good crawl spots and this thing might make getting there a little easier.

Has anyone else done something like this or . . . am I just crazy?

Thanks

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Hiking To Special Crawl Spots? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LA or OC crawl spots Jokerrw Chit Chat 8 12-27-2013 04:08 PM
ND Crawl Spots 701 Technique North Dakota 9 03-23-2012 07:19 AM
WV crawl spots CaptainSafety West Virginia 0 03-04-2011 09:16 AM
Any NEW spots to crawl??? TyConway Alabama 2 07-20-2009 01:14 PM
crawl spots around SF CA? victionone California 1 02-07-2008 12:34 AM