Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Kyosho outlaw rampage pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Kyosho outlaw rampage pro

Got one!

Slapped the base chassis, cage and electrics together in an evening, took it out for a spin with a cheapy 3250kv 4-pole (Robitronic. Re-badged hobbywing former gen. ) on 2s.

First impressions are that it drives quite a bit better than the RTR.

In the RTR I had to change the shock oil for 450cps and pre-load the springs quite a bit to stop it wallowing allover the place like a drunk toddler on the slightest bit of steering or undulation. (Wheels dó stay on the ground, though), secondly I had to put in a ‘softer’ motor to calm its rear end at acceleration ( used a G21 from Kyosho with a 19t pinion) The 15t was just too aggressive on 2s. It was better controllable with the RTR’s Orion 1800mah Nimh.

As such on the kit I also didn’t use the 350cps kit shock oil, but immediately filled those smooooooth beautiful ( sooo beautiful, and só easily to fill and bleed, truly)big-bore shocks with 450cps. I didn’t even change the spring preload setting, and the thing was PLANTED! I was quite amazed what a difference a lot of weight on the rear axle ànd swaybars made. Tires are of a stickier compound than the RTR, so I did roll it a couple of times. (Edit : In anything even slightly wet they’re still atrocious, though) But after setting the brakes a bit softer on the Turnigy 45amp ESC, I could brake jùst enough to slow it before turning. It took a bit of getting used to, because the RTR with its harder tires slid easier on tarmac. Dialing back the steering throw also helped. Still a bit nervous and squirrily when steering on high-grip underground.

All in all, the addition of weight and swaybars make a world of difference. Only ran 1pack though. Just on tarmac and a bit of flat, dusty field. I don’t know yet how it drives ‘in the rough’ with jumps and such. Got to paint the body first in a proper Old Skool theme. I’m thinking Yellow rear, dark blue (metallic) front with orange, red, black stripes in the middle.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-20-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Oh man, I'm really looking forward to picking this one up!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Great feedback Jay-Em....I built mine box stock. Looks like its going to be a ton of fun just sitting on the workbench. Hell of a truck for the price imo....
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:14 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Great feedback Jay-Em....I built mine box stock. Looks like its going to be a ton of fun just sitting on the workbench. Hell of a truck for the price imo....

“Just sitting on the workbench” it does, indéed, look só good. Those long rear swingarms peeping from under the body, the thick, gull-wing front arms that actually look like the welded aluminium box-arms most comp pre-runners use. And the wheels, especially in chrome ( and I usually detèst chrome) make it look proper ‘old skool’

Kyosho did good here. The RTR was a bit spartan, and iffy in the drive-train due to the lack of swaybars, and the ..ehrm.. ‘somewhat leaky’ shocks that didn’t work all too well. I recently swapped them for the shocks from my Asso SC buggy. Quite the improvement, but still not as good as the shocks in the Outlaw kit.

Oh, and by the by, the kit comes with a full set of extra swaybars in soft and hard ( the medium is on the kit) for front ànd rear. Vèry thoughtful.

And the whole MOA discussion? For what it is, it drives remarkably well with a bit of unsprung weight on the rear axle. A grasshopper, or hornet is way worse ( but still fun, though.. )

There is only òne little niggle. It’s noisy. The gearbox is quite loud. And I cannot get it to quiet down, however precise I adjust the pinion. Same with the RTR. Straight from the box it made even more of a racket. Not sure what’s going on here. Maybe the material of the gearbox is to blame. Its quite hard, with big spaces to amplify noise. Or the pitch is jùst a little off on the spur, because every other pinion I tried made the same ruckus. Though, truth be told, the RTR, after a bit of tweaking the pinion backlash and about 10 packs through it, is starting to quiet down.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-17-2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

I noticed my spur is a bit wobbly....that always causes some noise. Interesting that it's loud. I can't think of a single Kyosho I've had that's been loud. Usually they are pretty quiet. Even my old Raider is quiet as can be.

Motor and ESC are out for delivery! Hoping to have the truck running this weekend.

Edit: Painted and ready to go!

Last edited by OSRC; 08-17-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #86
Rock Crawler

My Kyosho DB is also as silent as they come, like the Scorpion, the Javelin etc. hence my surprise at the noise. It’s not ‘mod 1 on 32p’ loud, but more of a high-pitched scraping.

By the by, that centre metallic, is that pactra chrome or something? Looks good and very metal-like.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:21 AM   #87
Rock Crawler

Been paintin’ for a bit. Still have to put the sponsor sticker ‘bomb’ on it ( Traxxas’ exellent sponsor sheets for their 1/16 cars. Cheap and just the right size for anything between 1/12 and 1/10)

Added lighting, and got it to quiet down a bit with a Losi (I think.. ) , milled steel 19t pinion. The 3250kv motor doesn’t mind. Bit of a handful at the straights now, though..
I feel that the kit’s cast 16t pinion is a bit off. Not unheard of. Machine-cut gears are usually more precise. More expensive too.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-20-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Looks great!

and I used Parma FasKrome backed with black.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I couldnt keep the itch away.. I bought a new latrax pre runner (sst) in blue. I now take it to work with me and drive it on my lunch time. I really should be working on my designs for projects instead.

My sons old sst is next to the new one. For how quick these are and how cheap they are.. Cant really beat the fun price. Plus the new ones come with metal gears.

Ya those are great little trucks, I've had one for years and only broke one cvd really abusing it on rough trails with jumps! Cost like $6 for a pair of replacement CVDs which I already had on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Maybe i didnt put my post in the right words. The baja rey is easy to slide around. Maybe start with a fresh aluminum or cf plate to kinda follow what the baja rey suspension is like and make the 86 rolla that way. Ascender or hammers rear. Easily narrowed to fit body. Front suspension from eagle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Been paintin’ for a bit. Still have to put the sponsor sticker ‘bomb’ on it ( Traxxas’ exellent sponsor sheets for their 1/16 cars. Cheap and just the right size for anything between 1/12 and 1/10)

Added lighting, and got it to quiet down a bit with a Losi (I think.. ) , milled steel 19t pinion. The 3250kv motor doesn’t mind. Bit of a handful at the straights now, though..
I feel that the kit’s cast 16t pinion is a bit off. Not unheard of. Machine-cut gears are usually more precise. More expensive too.
Looks very nice and retro with that paint job!

Glad that your drivetrain is quieting somewhat, old Kyoshos were very quiet right from the start. Maybe box stock class 17.5 BL setup on 2S?

Last edited by Natedog; 08-20-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

So my transmission lasted all of 30 seconds at 1/4 throttle. Spur gear was messed up from the factory and stripped almost immediately, waiting to hear back from KYOUSA. And while it ran it was LOUD - screechy loud. Wondering if there is a molding issue with the spurs since Jay-Em is also noting a lot of noise.

While I wait, ordered 1 each of Associated and Losi 84t spur gears. (Couldn't find stock replacements, or any Kyosho 84t gears for that matter.) Hoping one of them will fit..... And run smoother.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

For those so inclined: The Yeti interior fits !! And all of it with just a few very small cuts to make space for the roll-cage.
I’ll promise some pictures when properly fitted.

I’m not using the Yeti helmets, but substituted them for the Bruiser Old Skool helmet heads.

@OSRC : Bummer! I was afraid of something like that happening. I guess I was just in time to obsessively, minutely check the meshing, and in the end ditching the dubious cast pinion.
I wonder if 32-pitch Ultima DB spurs fit. That would fix things for good, I’d think.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-22-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

you mean the yeti trophy truck, not the rock racer, yes? (or they might be the same. i had the RR so not familiar with the TT)

that's crazy about the gears. glad i hesitated now, but i hope KYOUSA does you early adopters right.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post

that's crazy about the gears. glad i hesitated now, but i hope KYOUSA does you early adopters right.
I think he might have just got a bad one, the picture of it in his build thread showed a kind of flat spot that was there from the start. So its not a design flaw just a bad spur I believe.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
you mean the yeti trophy truck, not the rock racer, yes? (or they might be the same. i had the RR so not familiar with the TT)

The interiors of the RR and Trophy Yeti are the same afaik. I got the RR too, and its interior looks exactly the same as the set I bought —> AX31141 It comes without helmets, though. Hence my choice for the Bruiser figure helmets.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

I linked the gearset in osrc's build thread if anybody is interested.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

Mine's not painted yet but I was able to run a battery through it yesterday. No point in me doing a build thread since there's nothing custom about it, but here's a mini-review.

First, the bad:

-The gears are loud for sure. After some obsessive adjustment I got it to be quiet at high speed but it still makes a racket on decel. There's no wobble in the spur so it's probably mostly the pinion like others have suggested.

-The chassis layout is weird. I mean, the whole truck is unusual, but I'm talking about the middle where the electronics go. The receiver gets it's own huge box that's about 4 times bigger than it needs to be, but it isn't watertight (or ever "pebble tight" for that matter) and it takes a bunch of disassembly to access. Meanwhile the ESC goes up front where a lot of people will have to add extensions to the motor wires to reach all the way back to the motor. So yeah, it just seems like a weird layout.

-It's not a basher so you have to drive it accordingly. I got sloppy and sideswiped a couple curbs at low/medium speed, and it popped a ballcup off the steering each time. It also unseated a tire bead, which eventually ended my run when that tire blew off the rim completely. This is stuff a slash would've laughed off.

But! The good:

-The shocks are really nice and the suspension action is super smooth and plush.

-Everything that's weird about the chassis layout also makes it interesting to work on. Sometimes you get that feeling of deja vu working on a new truck, like you've already done it before, but there's none of that here.

-OMG, THE WAY IT DRIVES! It's pure scale trophy truck bliss, exactly what I hoped it would be. The suspension is plush but the roll bars keep it controlled in corners. The heavy rear means there's no donkey kick. The MOA means it doesn't lift a front tire or swerve wildy when you punch it. On smooth pavement I was doing these long, controlled high-speed drifts for days. I built a 2WD Yeti Score once to try to get the same effect and it was a joke. This thing gets it. So much fun.

This is my setup. Hobbywing 4000kv combo and a cheap SkyRc gyro. I would say 4000kv might be too fast for offroad but it's nice on pavement. Enough speed on 2S to keep things interesting and no heat issues yet. I'm actually going to try going up a tooth on the pinion.

This gives you an idea of how far the motor wires have to go in the stock configuration. It's a long trip. I had to extend the three main motor wires and the small motor temp wire, but it worked out well enough in the end.

Last edited by TooOldForThis; 08-26-2019 at 07:20 AM.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

Ha! Your experiences echo mine. Way more planted than the “normal” version. For me, the Robitronic 3250kv 3652 4-pole ( 10.5t, I guess) is more than enough power. It’s mated with a 18t steel pinion, and seems to be spot-on for street as well as off-toad. No real heat issues, not even with the current heat. ( but I haven’t really pushed it, tbh. ) The non-pro handles rather unpredictable with anything above a 21t brushed imho. It really misses a bit of weight above the rear axle. When the cage becomes available, I’m going to turn in into a ‘budget’ pro.

Interior is still under construction. It’s currently 31C with 98% athmospheric humidity. All my acrylic paints react odd at the moment. They’re, like, fìghting every attempt at clean painting. Blegh!

This is how far I got.

How to adapt and attach yeti interior :

Mirrors and doorhandles by Killerbody:

Axial radiator. Still have to think-up something for the hoses. :

Axial lights. No LEDS inside, yet. :

Stickers are from a Tamiya racing Truck, some Traxxas 1/16 and assorted stuff I had laying around.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-27-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post

-The gears are loud for sure. After some obsessive adjustment I got it to be quiet at high speed but it still makes a racket on decel.
-The chassis layout is weird.
-It's not a basher so you have to drive it accordingly.
-The shocks are really nice and the suspension action is super smooth and plush.
Spot on feedback sir!! You are right - the chassis layout is very strange. Why not just an upper chassis brace and mount the receiver/ESC behind the battery? Have to unbolt the cage anyway to get the radio cover off.... Very odd.

If you ever pull the trans apart, an Associated spur gear (ASC9653) fits fine and the difference in the transmission is night and day. Well, paired with a Robinson pinion anyway..

Interior and decals look great Jay-Em!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

@OSRC

Thanks. Ànd a big thanks for the number of the Asso spur gear. I was wondering what could be used to replace the screeching pinion and spur. Ordering one asap.

I have the vague impression something went wrong when cutting the gears. Pitch a tiiiny bit off, it seems.

Things to do:

-Well. Obviously replacing spur.
-Re-locate the lighting controller, currently on the cabin roof, but wiring hangs in front of the co-pilot’s face. Looks dumb.
-Solder 4 LEDs on a loom for the front bumper lights.
-Desert lights on the rear of the cabin. Blue and orange on a flasher circuit, or something.
-Fire extinguishers on the rear cage.
-Maybe a scale battery cradle. Finally a use for the mock battery the EXO came with.

(Which reminds me : Check old Axial sprues. Most have some scale greeblies amongst the actual parts)

Edit: Put in a 32-pitch gearset bought for a never happened breakage of the Ultima DB. It seems to work. Had to open-up the center hole of the spur a bit. It’s jùst a tad off. Apart from that niggle, it’s much more silent than the ori spur&pinion, the difference is rather astonishing, despite being 32-pitch. Let’s see how it works on the long term. It’s POM, And I do not know how that works together with the teflon slipper pads in the truck. Might slip like oil on glass when stressed. No idea. Wil report

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-27-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #100
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
If you ever pull the trans apart, an Associated spur gear (ASC9653) fits fine and the difference in the transmission is night and day. Well, paired with a Robinson pinion anyway..
Thanks to your build thread, I put that spur gear on order yesterday! . And funny you suggest a Robinson pinion because that's what I chose as well.

So here's my to-do list:

-Install new gears. Bask in glorious silence.
-Change out diff oil for something thicker. Maybe even lock it up. During the pavement drifting shenanigans it was "diffing out" more than ideal. This is probably a non-issue on dirt but I'll mostly be trying to slide around on pavement so I need both tires spinning.
-Just paint it I guess? There's not much else it needs. I tend to turn things into big projects so it's nice to get a truck that doesn't need a lot from the start. Good job Kyosho.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote

Kyosho outlaw rampage pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho Outlaw Ultima Xporter Non Crawler RC's 10 08-03-2017 04:21 AM
Rampage MT PRO ATV Richalaska Videos! 3 03-10-2016 05:43 AM
Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Truck grizzlypaugh Non Crawler RC's 5 04-11-2012 04:14 AM