Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Tips For Carrying Crawler On Airplane?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tips For Carrying Crawler On Airplane?

I'm going to be in and around Denver for a few days and it seems like the area west - in the mountains - would provide endless places for rock crawling.

I contacted one store to see if they have any crawlers for lease (which I highly doubt) but then I started thinkin - maybe I can either send a crawler out there or get one in my carry-on bag

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions for transporting a scaler while flying on a commercial flight?

I might pay the $30 (each way) just to add a checked bag and put my crawler stuff in a hard-shell piece of luggage - $60 for both flights but what an epic opportunity to spend time in the mountains of Colorado crawlin!

Thanks!
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Tips For Carrying Crawler On Airplane?

What did "The Crawl Space" sat? They seem like they would be accommodating. Check them out if you get a chance while you are there.
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You can bring the crawler no problem, tools on the other hand may be restricted depending on what you bring. Next comes your lipo batteries but you'll have to see TSAs formula to get the watt/hrs or whatever they request to be below.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:16 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've taken two 2200mah and on another trip a 5000mah. Only time anyone said anything it was to ask what I was building haha lipos 2s or 3s from my experience aren't a problem. At least on Alaskan from Kodiak to Portland or Seattle and back.
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Tips For Carrying Crawler On Airplane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragenwraith View Post
What did "The Crawl Space" sat? They seem like they would be accommodating. Check them out if you get a chance while you are there.
Someone replied and said I could rent one or two in thirty minute or one hour increments

I think he only meant if I used them inside his facility - that's not what I want so, I'll either figure out how to get one or two out there - or - I'll ditch the idea and keep the trip to hiking and kayaking lakes and visiting the Mint . . . and so forth and so on . . . with earlier planning I think I could've done this . . . oh well, next time . . .

Thanks everyone
Old 05-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Plan "B"... What if you were to ship your rig, radio and batteries and charger to a local hobby store in Colorado where you could pick them up and head out for a good time. When done ship them back home!
Old 05-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Plan "B"... What if you were to ship your rig, radio and batteries and charger to a local hobby store in Colorado where you could pick them up and head out for a good time. When done ship them back home!

Love it

That options is still not completely out of the question but I'm only gonna be there five days and getting a checked bag is $30 + $30 (trip out + trip back) and shipping UPS - or similar - would probably be about the same - I could even have them shipped to my daughter's house but it would be very convenient to have them with me when I get there - maybe it'd be easier to ship them back though - oh well, we'll see how it goes
Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post

Love it

That options is still not completely out of the question but I'm only gonna be there five days and getting a checked bag is $30 + $30 (trip out + trip back) and shipping UPS - or similar - would probably be about the same - I could even have them shipped to my daughter's house but it would be very convenient to have them with me when I get there - maybe it'd be easier to ship them back though - oh well, we'll see how it goes
Hey, whatever you decide I'm sure your trip to Colorado will be a great one! Maybe you could buy a rig to keep at your daughters for the next trip out to visit...You just might be starting something good! Enjoy!
Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Maybe you could buy a rig to keep at your daughters for the next trip out to visit...You just might be starting something good! Enjoy!
Yes! That's another option . . . normally, I never get RTR's but this might be an exception . . . I can bring upgrades, spares, tools, and extra batteries with me . . .

Maybe I'll get one of each, then send back the one she doesn't want:
  • Deadbolt --> LINK
  • Honcho --> LINK
  • Jeep Wrangler Unlimited CRC --> LINK
  • Jeep Cherokee --> LINK

I can always send one or both of them back, then either sell or upgrade because . . . it's impossible to have too many trucks . . . which is another win! ;)

Last edited by Axial Rose; 05-16-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:42 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have carried my truck and batteries on multiple flights. There are rules for tools and the batteries. The batteries and truck are my personal item as they fit below the seat in front of me. I suggest checking tools as that has what has gotten me stopped
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Okay - I'm back

The trip was truly incredible

We have "mountains" here in Georgia - no offense but the Rockies are in an entirely different league - not even close - many of you are fortunate to know what I mean

We didn't do any rock crawling with scale trucks but I did offer that and that activity was always an option

But my daughter had more things for us to do than we had time to do them and they were all higher priority for both of us combined than rock crawlin a scaler or two

I won't list all the places we went - all the things we saw - all the things we did - that would take forever - ha - so, to make a long story short for 4 days we were constantly in the mountains - a few places had snow up to my knees and more snow was falling - another place found our car circled by four bison - another place, Red Rocks, we hiked trails with gorgeous blue skies and I got sunburned - waking up to four inches of snow Tues morning in Golden, CO . . . I think we hiked a total of 24 miles (not much was flat - ha) in those four days . . . and on and on and on . . . awesome trip!

Thanks everyone

Enjoy rock crawlin'!

Old 05-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
~THE SCALE SHOP~

tip #1
dont call it remotely operated....
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
Sinking with the ship

I have quite a bit of experience with this, and since people seem to be flying more and more with camera drones it seems to have gotten more relaxed.

For starters, batteries need to have the plugs taped off (black electrical tape), then put into individual zip lock bags, then stored into the lipo/fire proof bags. They cannot be checked, and when you go through security take the lipo bag out and separate it like you would your lap top and such.

The truck, you can do a few ways, since I have "doll house" trucks, I have purchased a black pelican case that fits my one Blue Lux perfectly inside of it with the wheels and tires off. They may remove it from a case or carrying bag and swab it, I can almost guarantee they will swab the batteries. In the past, they have made me check the pelican if the plane fills up before I get on it because all the other idiots are in carry on violation and fill up the compartments. Before having the pelican case, they allowed to remove truck, check the suite case and carry the truck on and store on the floor under the seat in front of me.

I always allow extra time when traveling with them, this way if they want to swab them or run them back through the Xray machine they can.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tips For Carrying Crawler On Airplane? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrying your Crawler into the field armycrawler101st General Crawlers 9 03-28-2011 10:07 PM
Carrying a crawler on a bicycle VeryBumpy General Crawlers 29 08-18-2009 09:05 PM
Heads up: carrying batteries on an airplane ghinmi Chit Chat 5 12-29-2007 09:01 AM