Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Forum dead??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #41
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Forum dead??

I see 7 logged in people viewing this thread right now. And this is why FB is killing forums, a group gets more action and you would rather leave than participate here too.

I love that people want to blame the like button for forum decline and not the actions of people. It's because people are lazy, and Facebook is the least effort right now. Nothing wrong with that, but let's be honest with ourselves.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I see 7 logged in people viewing this thread right now. And this is why FB is killing forums, a group gets more action and you would rather leave than participate here too.

I love that people want to blame the like button for forum decline and not the actions of people. It's because people are lazy, and Facebook is the least effort right now.
Like!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

I used to run a vbulletin board. The “active viewers” was a latency measurement; it was never accurate. It was not live. Unless the platform has changed, I call BS when I check a forum at 11:00 pm and the forum says that there are hundreds of folks online. It’s just nonsense. Who believes that 50-60 folks are reviewing the SCX10 ii forum at every hour of the day but there are no new posts for days? Same with the TRX-4 forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

I'm not a fan of facebook I fine it difficult to find these groups everyone is talking about!! It's probable just me not looking in the right place, no matter I'll still be here, I find it more informative!! And like I've said before the knowledge here is amazing!!! And the people us normal folks and the vender support from John Holmes, Brandon, josh, SSD guys and I'm sure there's more I think is awesome!!! And much appreciated!! Thank You all!!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #45
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The not logged in viewers also includes search bots. I can see the IP and location of every logged in user though. People are here, just reading more than posting.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

I'm guilty of that!!!
Old 06-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

I am not altogether here, but never can I be there. If I was there, then there would be here, and I would still be here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:

I love that people want to blame the like button for forum decline and not the actions of people. It's because people are lazy, and Facebook is the least effort right now. Nothing wrong with that, but let's be honest with ourselves.
I've never even been on facebook and I have no desire to. I don't want misinformation nor would I ever seek support from a place like facebook.

Laziness is a prevalent feature of the world today when it comes to all forms of social media and social interaction. But I would argue that it's not accurate to define this community as lazy in regards to the 'like' debate. I'm not lazy in the least when it comes to posting here... whether I'm trying to help or to post up pics, questions, etc. But if I feel that no one is reading, then I begin to subsequently feel as if I'm not contributing. This is obviously more of a feeling that accompanies a newer member and may not apply to a lot of veteran posters. But it is real... it's not an excuse not to post, and it has nothing to do with being lazy. I'm not at all suggesting that not having a 'like' feature here on RCC is killing the forum but it does hurt participation imo.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #49
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:

I want to agree with this, but there’s a definitive “jump-the-shark” moment in the couple years I’ve been around, which is well after the initial peak of this forum, and that moment is when the like button was removed all in hopes to generate revenue.

There are a handful of former regular contributors that I can think of that don’t post here anymore. It’s a darn shame.

I know it’s easy to say if you like a post then say something, but it’s also easier to just hit a like button to show gratitude, especially when you weren’t going to post anyway.

Basically every “pictures no talking” thread is dead now. The “what did you do to your xxxxx today” threads are at a snail’s pace. I’m just not seeing any benefits, only decline since it has happened. I paid up to try and contribute, and I’m sure more people would do the same if this place showed any life. It needs to survive for the sake of the classifieds alone.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #50
RCC Addict

I dont have fb n wish i never had wen i did, its nothin but he said she said drama. But i see why things have slowed here n boom there. U get instant notification from fb strait to the phone, where as here u gotta actually get on n look to see wats new. Thats where the lazy come into play imo.

I try to check in thru the day to see wats goin on, but theres days i dont have the time. So wen i get to the house im playin catch-up. But theres still quite a bit goin on here n im glad i found this place. Just wish id found it alot sooner... Theres tons apon tons of great info n talented builds here, which have inspired me alot n im very appreciative of that n all the help i get from everyone.

That bein said, id rather get a comment more so than a like. Yeah, a like is nice, somebody seen wat u said or pic posted. But theres times a comment is so much more appreciative than a like. I like hearin peoples opinions, good or bad. So far ive not had a bad remark from anybody, but ive had sooo much help from yall. Comments help others to b creative with an issue theyre tryin to overcome or an idea someone can give to make things a bit easier. Can the "like" button do that? Wat happens to all the info bein posted on fb? From wat ie gathered from others comments, it either disappears or its so far back in a thread u cant find it.

I like it here at RCC n dont look to go anywhere anytime soon. So much great advice from john, brandon, josh, ssd, n ALL the members here. We may not talk alot or b real close, but i consider alot of yall as friends, take it FWIW.

Lets keep this place alive yall, we're all family here. RCC family!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2019, 01:53 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

My take on the like button.
Most of the stuff I want to like is an older post, if I like comment 7, on a post that has 42 comments, I would rather like on it than comment. Because the conversation has moved beyond that.

Maybe it because I view the threads as linear even if it has branches.

So now we get camments that simply say like. How is that better the a like button.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #52
RCC Addict

We've already discuss the like button guy's "Like" Button

It's like we're going in circles with this topic, RCC dead, some liking the like button some not.

People have lives, LIFE changes for some. No matter what it's still cool here after 2 year's, like indybama says, "We may not talk alot or b real close, but i consider alot of yall as friends, take it FWIW".(online friends, go figure, lol)

Whatever the differences between whoever,everyone still talks to each other!
No matter what this person has said or that person has said, STILL, A Great group of guys here.

Sounds like a rant, my bad guys.
Crawl on
Old 06-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

FWIW, I signed up to two events through Facebook, have folks making offers to buy my rigs and a life discussion. A sense of life for me in the crawling community and it’s geographic specific. I’m 38, have 14 rigs, married with twin girls and a lawyer. I like to engage with folks with similar interests.

It’s sad that the first post of FB in 3 years is to replace RCC. I don’t know what the deletion of the like. Turin was about but it’s obviously foolish. It eliminates a self reinforcing cycle. My latest build got almost no looks and as best as I can tell I’m the only one running portals on an SCX10 ii chassis with a brushless setup that isn’t vanquish.

In order to stay relevant you need more opportunities for interaction, that’s likes and dislikes. And auto notifications. Think I’m out here based on what I’m seeing in a day. Feels like a break up on account of distance. Too bad. Mods - o support ya, but you have to man up.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

You know when people ask a question on Facebook when you answer it just link Them back here to where you read about it. Nothing wrong with citing your sources. Big difference between citing your sources and shameless plugging.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

This is a discussion forum.

Make a post. Compliment someone build. Ask a question. Answer a question. Give a suggestion. Give constructive criticism.

Do something to interact with other members.

We have to discuss things for a discussion forum to thrive.

👍🏼
Old 06-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Conversation is key to any forums success. But what I find in general is that you tend to find more reliable information on forums like RCC compared to the social media groups. On your typical sm group everyone thinks they are an expert and I have seen instances where actual experts get crap from the keyboard jockeys.

That said, forums like this are a business and the owner is only interested in generating a profit. This, IMO, is the root of the problem with RCC. If the owner does not care enough about the forum to participate how can you expect the members to care? This forum has been neglected for years and it shows.

Last edited by Inspector86; 06-30-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Conversation is key to any forums success. But what I find in general is that you tend to find more reliable information on forums like RCC compared to the social media groups. On your typical sm group everyone thinks they are an expert and I have seen instances where actual experts get crap from the keyboard jockeys.

That said, forums like this are a business and the owner is only interested in generating a profit. This, IMO, is the root of the problem with RCC. If the owner does not care enough about the forum to participate how can you expect the members to care? This forum has been neglected for years and it shows.

Like. Got no button. So dumb.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
Like. Got no button. So dumb.

Not that I like you post.

But it’s really this easy if a “like” is that important.

👍🏼

Again it’s a discussion forum.

If everyone is busy “liking” or pissing and moaning about the lack of a “like” button instead of discussing crawling, it’s no wonder the forums are dying. 🙄
Old 06-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Not that I like you post.

But it’s really this easy if a “like” is that important.

Again it’s a discussion forum.

If everyone is busy “liking” or pissing and moaning about the lack of a “like” button instead of discussing crawling, it’s no wonder the forums are dying.

Negative. There is no reason to style this board as a more passive, less involved experience in light of the growth of more involved experiences through other resources.

Who is the guy who ever said, “Too many likes!!! I’m out! Everyone is involved! I don’t want that!!!!! C-ya!!”

Who is that guy? Then, why does this imaginary guy represent 50% or more of the actively posing members? It’s nonsense. Garbage reasoning. The competition is better at providing active involvement. People don’t read encyclopedias with friends and thus, folks won’t read this forum any more frequently that an encyclopedia if there is no sense of community.

PS. Glad to have started the most active thread in a year.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Like I stated earlier, Fascistbook is killing forums.

People are to lazy to do something as arcane are read and have a discussion.

It’s easier to 👍🏼.

Congrats on starting a discussion on a discussion board.
Closed Thread

Forum dead?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Threads in Forum : Florida section dead Alexg89 General Crawlers 4 12-05-2018 02:00 PM
This massachusetts forum is dead? 666markb666 Massachusetts 15 06-14-2017 11:30 PM
Because the PTI forum is pretty much Dead S_C_I_P_I_O79 General Crawlers 9 01-26-2011 05:50 AM
gmade forum slow/dead what's the deal Lawrence_0485 G-Made Crawlers 21 10-28-2010 05:54 PM
XTM forum is dead so... Super Woody Superclass Crawlers 3 02-09-2010 11:46 PM