As long as you can speak Spanish you´re ok
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is Life in Calif That Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Michigan is pretty much blue collar out in the sticks. If that says anything.. Though, im one who does not live in the sticks yet. But soon..

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I was only in California for a while - USMC boot camp in San Diego, Infantry training school in Camp Pendleton, stationed in 29 Palms (in the Mojave Desert) as a 81mm mortarman, did Amphibious assault training in Coronado, and Mountain warfare training in Bridgeport. All these places sure were beautiful, at least back in the early-to-mid '80s...

Funny thing is, I went from there directly to the Detroit area, Selfridge Air National Guard Base to be exact. My Dad was the US Army Corps of Engineers District Engineer for the Great Lakes District. There's no nearby Army base, so they housed him and my Mom at that location. It was actually a really nice little base, their house had it's backyard right across the street from the shores of Anchor Bay.

I made a bunch of friends in the area, and as I was just recently out of the military I still had paychecks coming for a while because I didn't take any leave while I was in. So - no job worries for a few months! I had an absolute blast in Detroit - going to concerts every weekend, gradually shaking off the stress of being ordered around all day long - and becoming a civilian again.

After a few months, I moved back down to the Austin area because my parents bought the house they were going to retire to and my younger brother was still finishing his time at the University of Texas (where I had gone to for a couple semesters before joining up)...

Anyways, I've been down here ever since, 30+ years. Sometimes I really wish I'd stayed in the Detroit area, though - there's even a pretty young lady from back then that I'd love to reconnect with!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:26 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Always somethin that will bring you back to MI. Glad you had a good time here. Even though i was in the army, i never got stationed here lol.

CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
- there's even a pretty young lady from back then that I'd love to reconnect with!
She cant be that young anymore after 30 years ..
Old 09-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Cons: Detroit Lions, Detroit Pistons
Cons: Detroit.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
As long as you can speak Spanish you´re ok
Sadly that's becoming all of the US. I shouldn't have to press 1 to get somebody that speaks English. Also, road signs and Pringles can shouldn't be in Spanish.

I was in Reading, PA (shit hole of PA) at the DMV and I watched the workers struggle to explain simple things to people that couldn't speak English. Only in America would we cater to those that refuse to assimilate. It's disgusting.

I wish we'd have a President with balls that would declare English the national language once and for all.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I wish we'd have a President with balls that would declare English the national language once and for all.
If Obama did it, the left would praise him and the right would scream racism...

If Trump did it... well... you know...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
If Obama did it, the left would praise him and the right would scream racism...

If Trump did it... well... you know...
Truth. The problem is there's no racism in the discussion, but the easy argument is to play that card. I can't wait until we're past this overly-PC, 95 genders, mentally ill time in society. In 100 years from now they're going look back on us like we were retarded.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #49
RCC Addict

My limited experience with California is that a lot of it is beautiful with great weather and scenery. Get a little bit away from the huge dense populated cities, and they are more "normal" and not so far to the crazy left. Unfortunately, those cities seem to dictate what the rest of the state gets stuck with.

Californians are moving here by the droves because its "cheap". They're driving the cost of all the housing up through the roof and worst of all, voting for the same type of dumbasses they voted for in CA and turning NV more and more blue. That seems to be happening in quite a few states, my real home of TX being one of them. I truly don't understand why you would flee a place because of big government and high taxes and then continue to vote for those people at your new home.

As for HOAs, I don't like them. Most of my experience with them has been negative, but they did finally make my neighbors move their TWO beat up leaking ass moving trucks out of the neighborhood. That only took like two years. Heaven forbid I have a couple ****ing weeds in my yard, but you can keep your trashy ass old U-Haul trucks parked in front your house, dripping oil all the way down the street.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Truth. The problem is there's no racism in the discussion, but the easy argument is to play that card. I can't wait until we're past this overly-PC, 95 genders, mentally ill time in society. In 100 years from now they're going look back on us like we were retarded.
Dude, you can't say that. You gotta say mentally-challenged or mentally under-developed.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
My limited experience with California is that a lot of it is beautiful with great weather and scenery. Get a little bit away from the huge dense populated cities, and they are more "normal" and not so far to the crazy left. Unfortunately, those cities seem to dictate what the rest of the state gets stuck with.

Californians are moving here by the droves because its "cheap". They're driving the cost of all the housing up through the roof and worst of all, voting for the same type of dumbasses they voted for in CA and turning NV more and more blue. That seems to be happening in quite a few states, my real home of TX being one of them. I truly don't understand why you would flee a place because of big government and high taxes and then continue to vote for those people at your new home.
As a life long Vermont resident, I know exactly what you're going through. Our state took on an ever-increasing infestation of NYCidiots and ruined our state.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #52

Quote:
Dude, you can't say that. You gotta say mentally-challenged or mentally under-developed.
There's that overly-PC thing again.

I think the mentally challenged would say that some "able bodied" people are retarded.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
In truth, I don't care what gender someone calls themselves. If someone wants to identify as a big blue bunny with a pink tail and green horn, happy hopping. I find it offensive when the left tells me that I have to play along with these delusions.

Quote:
Isn't the current left-PC term for this "mentally unidentified"?

They change this shit do much, its hard to keep up...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

When the word zombie becomes derogatory, do we start using "mentally vacant"?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:49 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well...lets be honest 100 years ago the US had places where nobody spoke English ;) ...it was German or Polish or French. If you want to be a citizen of the 21rst century you have to be bi- or trilingual, my friend ...other than that you walk the way of the Dodo.
...and @ soze....its "intellectually challenged "

Last edited by themountain; 09-17-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Cons: Detroit.
Live here, then try and say it again.

CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #57

Quote:
Well...lets be honest 100 years ago the US had places where nobody spoke English ;) ...it was German or Polish or French. If you want to be a citizen of the 21rst century you have to be bi- or trilingual, my friend ...other than that you walk the way of the Dodo.
...and @ soze....its "intellectually challenged "
Fair enough, but now the most used language in the US is English by far. Street signs, pamphlets, television, etc are in English. It should have been designated the official language long ago.

I get just fine with English only.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:56 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Durok tell me more about that area near Austin?
My aunt lived near or in new braunfels for a while. I really wish I took the chamce to visit her out there, but now she lives in Oregon. And yes I need to visit her tjere now but I dont think I would move up there. No offense, friends in pac norwest, its just too dang cold for my socal blood.

Anyway... What area near Austin we talking about? I have been browsing homes in that area and I'm simultaneously impressed and sick to my stomach lol
Amazing what you can get out there. One of my concerns for TX though, is tornados? Or is that not a thing in that part of tx?
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:47 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I get just fine with English only.
Not south of your borders
Old 09-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #60

Quote:
Not south of your borders
I like my life so I don't venture to Mexico.

Is Life in Calif That Bad? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southern Calif Orange County? djr01974 Newbie General 0 11-14-2015 08:54 PM
Crawler store in southern calif area? blckgnx California 8 01-22-2011 09:02 PM
how bad does heat affect battery life blazin396 Electronics 11 08-08-2010 12:44 PM
Fresno Calif Area Comp Tattoo John Competitions 7 10-20-2008 04:21 PM