Notices

Thread: Is Life in Calif That Bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Is Life in Calif That Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Lots of people in South America speak English if that's what you're referring to so I'd probably be good if I ever got lost and ended up down there. LOL
Not really...you should try it ;)
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
As opposed to other states??
We cant lower anything under 21 inches from center of the headlight to the ground. Not sure what the law is for lifting.
But I would hazzard a guess that other states dont really care.

Cars are only part of the reason I want out of Cali though.
At least where I live, we only have sheriffs and they pretty much don't mess with cars unless your doing something dumb. Whether its a older or newer car. My 59 Ford is illegal in many ways, Too low, no mirrors, no turn signals or wipers, after 16 years i have never been hassled.

States with inspections there is no way my car would pass.

With Kustoms or even tuner cars in California, they are all pretty much slammed on the ground.

The car culture is the one reason keeping me here in California.

Both kids are building Prerunners and I'm very into Kustoms and Hot Rods.
Which we know California dominates with both of these.

Other than that. Im with everyone else. I hate this state.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

30" from the ground to the bottom of the frame. That's why you see so many brodozers with 8" suspension lifts and 33's.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Nobody checks our vehicles in michigan.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
when did they stop doing that ive herd horror storys about vehicle inspections in detroit but its been so long since ive been there or talked to any of my family out there im a bit out of the loop but ill bet there still isent alot of classic cars left out there
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

You guys wouldn't believe what WY allows. As long as it has a driver side mirror, it's not going to get hassled. A couple years ago, I saw a car that was nothing more than angle-iron, plywood and plexi-glas for the entire body. It had a current license plate on it.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
At least where I live, we only have sheriffs and they pretty much don't mess with cars unless your doing something dumb. Whether its a older or newer car. My 59 Ford is illegal in many ways, Too low, no mirrors, no turn signals or wipers, after 16 years i have never been hassled.

States with inspections there is no way my car would pass.

With Kustoms or even tuner cars in California, they are all pretty much slammed on the ground.

The car culture is the one reason keeping me here in California.

Both kids are building Prerunners and I'm very into Kustoms and Hot Rods.
Which we know California dominates with both of these.

Other than that. Im with everyone else. I hate this state.
I totally agree with you as far as car culture in Cali. Its the best. Its truly where everything happens. And thats why our constrictive laws are making me sick. I cant do anything to a cars engine unless its 75 or older, due to possibly failing a smog check where they run it with a sniffer on a dyno.
Fine for my sons 66 vette, but I want to buy something cheap and rwd so I can flog on it and not worry about it. Ideally a volvo with a v8 swap and suspension.
Anything else is too expensive really. Unless I move out of state I can pretty much do any mods to any car I want.

But Yeah there are other things. I like straws. I like firearms. I like deciding what does and does not get injected into my children. Having the government revoke those choices doesnt feel like government anymore. I wont get any more political than that.

Haha brodozers... 8 inch lift IN THE FRONT ONLY lololol
Kills me... Its fine on a porpose build desert truck but a DAILY?
Then again I could barely get my scion frs over speed bumps so... To each his own.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Who remembers when C.A.R.B. shut down registration of offroad vehicles when they changed the "rules"? Offroad used to be classified with forklifts.... Nope, not good enough. Okay said the engine builders (LS format in particular), what do you want? "We don't know" said C.A.R.B. Fine said the engine builders, we will run stock motors, O.E.M. computers and sensors along with the cats, all off the LS format motors from the Corvettes. Take out. We will make sensors fit into the headers so we can smog test them like an automobile, again, running all the stock smog equipment. All should have been well, right? No, that was unacceptable. So some of the motor builders got together with C.A.R.B., paid a bunch of money and became the only "certified" motor suppliers, LS format only. Honda and Subi guys needed to do the same. Danzio at the time said pound sand, we will build race motors only. That is how many got around this joke, register the car with the cheapest "legal" motor, pull it and put your 1000+ hp motor and do your thing. Don't get me wrong, I am for clean air, water and the liike. Yes, smog sucks in the vallies of So Cal. in the summer at times. As with many things, intent is good but execution is an entirely different story. How about the green sticker then red sticker money they've collected since the early 70's???? I'll stop there at jsut some of the offroad transgressions.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Who remembers when C.A.R.B. shut down registration of offroad vehicles when they changed the "rules"? Offroad used to be classified with forklifts.... Nope, not good enough. Okay said the engine builders (LS format in particular), what do you want? "We don't know" said C.A.R.B. Fine said the engine builders, we will run stock motors, O.E.M. computers and sensors along with the cats, all off the LS format motors from the Corvettes. Take out. We will make sensors fit into the headers so we can smog test them like an automobile, again, running all the stock smog equipment. All should have been well, right? No, that was unacceptable. So some of the motor builders got together with C.A.R.B., paid a bunch of money and became the only "certified" motor suppliers, LS format only. Honda and Subi guys needed to do the same. Danzio at the time said pound sand, we will build race motors only. That is how many got around this joke, register the car with the cheapest "legal" motor, pull it and put your 1000+ hp motor and do your thing. Don't get me wrong, I am for clean air, water and the liike. Yes, smog sucks in the vallies of So Cal. in the summer at times. As with many things, intent is good but execution is an entirely different story. How about the green sticker then red sticker money they've collected since the early 70's???? I'll stop there at jsut some of the offroad transgressions.
And CARB continually tries to kill the fun at Glamis and Pismo. CARB is really the fun police. Just a bunch of miserable assholes.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
...., register the car with the cheapest "legal" motor, pull it and put your 1000+ hp motor and do your thing. Don't get me wrong, I am for clean air, water and the liike..
Kinda contradiction, right?
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
And CARB continually tries to kill the fun at Glamis and Pismo. CARB is really the fun police. Just a bunch of miserable assholes.
Those rules should only apply near the cities. Glamis used to be massive, now it is just a shadow of what it once was because of all of the emissions BS (along with a host of other BS rules CA has). California is doing all it can to kill the off road industry there, in their leftist mindset, nature should only be enjoyed from the safety and comfort of your eco-friendly Prius.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Kinda contradiction, right?
By definition, yes. Many people had $100k+ sand cars on order, $30-40k motors being built to go into them, only to get their turn on the fixture table and be told we can't use your motor, C.A.R.B. has changed the rules on a whim. Many bought rollers to beat the system. As for Glamis, had they been using the registration money for the offroad arena, it wouldn't have gotten out of hand IMHO. Then you have the milk vetch plant, where the C.B.D. (Arizona based) got about half the dunes closed. Truth be known, the plant thrived with activity around it. Not like people ran it over looking for flat tires. Irony was, the guy from C.B.D. parked his vehicle on the north side of hwy 78 in the protected area and got busted by the law. Live by the sword..... Can't remember if it was a $$$ ticket or tow. Should have looked that up before typing.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
You guys wouldn't believe what WY allows. As long as it has a driver side mirror, it's not going to get hassled. A couple years ago, I saw a car that was nothing more than angle-iron, plywood and plexi-glas for the entire body. It had a current license plate on it.
They let that shit slide here too, but hassle me over my window tint. FFS
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

waitaminute waitaminute…

so even "off-road" vehicles need to pass smog now???
like i cant just build some crazy crap and drag it to the dessert and let it rip?? i was just looking to buy something cheap to tinker with but... if this is true and i cant just toss a GSXR motor in the back of an old honda pilot/oddesy, then... WTF??!?!
Old 09-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #94

Quote:
waitaminute waitaminute…

so even "off-road" vehicles need to pass smog now???
like i cant just build some crazy crap and drag it to the dessert and let it rip?? i was just looking to buy something cheap to tinker with but... if this is true and i cant just toss a GSXR motor in the back of an old honda pilot/oddesy, then... WTF??!?!
I'm not sure, but they need green stickers which is BS. At the Mahindra Roxor demo they told us not to but a California model because they're the only ones that have DEF tanks.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

yeah i saw that post those look like a BLAST and way more my kind of thing because its not a SXS lol then again... looks like a jerp lol

whats a DEF tank im not familiar... like a charcoal/evap canister? huh. figures even something as cool as these roxor would be neutered for CA.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #96

Quote:
yeah i saw that post those look like a BLAST and way more my kind of thing because its not a SXS lol then again... looks like a jerp lol

whats a DEF tank im not familiar... like a charcoal/evap canister? huh. figures even something as cool as these roxor would be neutered for CA.

I'm not the biggest SxS fan either, but they're a better go fast option. The Roxor would be awesome for trail rides and crawling.

DEF tanks are full of piss water (not kidding) that's injected into the exhaust to react with exhaust gases and lower emissions.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

When I was born and grew up in California, it was a great place to live! Streets, highways all paved, no debris on the highways, job opportunity everywhere, almost zero homeless.

Nowadays I would not move to this state if I lived somewhere else. Every city where my job has offices is a poop fest (literally), while out for a break walk the other day we literally stepped over/around 6 piles of human feces on the sidewalk! Everyday we walk around piles of feces, vomit, broken alcohol bottles, filthy poop covered clothing, litter, tossed out food containers and half eaten leftovers from area restaurants. Couple months ago, I stepped in a large puddle of pee in our main lobby! It was a huge puddle with poop in the middle, topped off with a wad of tp and our as yet unread newspaper!!! There's sometimes IV drug syringes on the ground next to the parking garage entrance, I've watched several people sitting in front of businesses in broad daylight trying to find a vein (blood running down their arm) to stick another needle of opioids, methamphetamine, etc. into! A co-worker was doing the yearly volunteer Great American River Parkway Cleanup and stepped on a needle, had to take medicine and get AIDS check every couple months for several years! The first 1.5-2 miles of the American River Parkway greenbelt with paved and dirt walking/bicycle trails are over run with makeshift tarps, tents, pallets, and every other kind of homeless camp! There's piles and bags of garbage everywhere (on and off the trails), dogs running around off leash, people who don't get out of the way, aggressive panhandling! This is a huge health hazard, typhoid, tetanus, yellow fever, and a few more diseases are easily spread this way, that's why it's still technically illegal to spit in public in many cities. One of our female janitors was accosted in the janitor's closet by a crazy/drugged homeless man, who then acted like he wanted to fight us while we waited and waited and waited for the CHP to finally show up, they didn't even search him or check his identification!

Co-workers have seen homeless having sex in the parking garage stairwells, we stepped over several used condoms there just last week.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/sa...234440612.html
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ion-sacramento
https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l.../103-594844449
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...y-12898656.php

The lawmakers have made almost everything a minor infraction, crimes that used to be felonies that would almost guarantee criminals would be locked up are now misdemeanors, which the police mostly won't even bother with...shameful.

The highways are riddled with potholes, cracks, car parts from wrecks that aren't cleaned up proper. Too many people, cars and traffic, roads that have not been expanded with more lanes since they were built, commutes that should take 15-20 minutes, take 1 hour or more due to this.

Our taxes a vehicle registration fees are some of the highest in the nation, yet the bureaucrats in charge constantly redirect the money to wasteful things like 'high-speed rail', we really just ought to repair/upgrade existing Amtrak rails and run more trains on them, would be way cheaper, faster and economical. The Capital Corridor rails into the San Francisco Bay Area are so old worn out and misaligned that the trains must slow to a crawl to avoid derailing and still sway around like a ship on the ocean.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...t-13621347.php

Levees that protect much of our states farming, homes and cities are being dug into by homeless, creating increased flood dangers and slowing trains.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tr...208599289.html

We like the environmental protections, it helps keep our air and water clean! I remember when all the automotive magazines said that muscle cars were dead due to smog requirements, bunch of horse pucky, autos are more efficient and powerful than ever! The automotive industry had grown lazy and complacent, but once they began to innovate again, it was all overcome and we're better for it.

I could post pictures of all this stuff, but it's disgusting, unhealthy and I'm sure you get the idea and there's plenty of information in the links I provided or a quick web search will overwhelm you.

Almost forgot that the cities pay crews to come out every morning and steam clean the fronts of buildings and sidewalks because it's gotten so bad.

Eh, anyways we're thankful for many things, but California needs to get it together, happy Tuesday everybody!

Last edited by Natedog; 01-21-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
When I was born and grew up in California, it was a great place to live! Streets, highways all paved, no debris on the highways, job opportunity everywhere, almost zero homeless.

Nowadays I would not move to this state if I lived somewhere else. Every city where my job has offices is a poop fest (literally), while out for a break walk the other day we literally stepped over/around 6 piles of human feces on the sidewalk! Everyday we walk around piles of feces, vomit, broken alcohol bottles, filthy poop covered clothing, litter, tossed out food containers and half eaten leftovers from area restaurants. Couple months ago, I stepped in a large puddle of pee in our main lobby! It was a huge puddle with poop in the middle, topped off with a wad of tp and our as yet unread newspaper!!! There's sometimes IV drug syringes on the ground next to the parking garage entrance, I've watched several people sitting in front of businesses in broad daylight trying to find a vein (blood running down their arm) to stick another needle of opioids, methamphetamine, etc. into! A co-worker was doing the yearly volunteer Great American River Parkway Cleanup and stepped on a needle, had to take medicine and get AIDS check every couple months for several years! The first 1.5-2 miles of the American River Parkway greenbelt with paved and dirt walking/bicycle trails are over run with makeshift tarps, tents, pallets, and every other kind of homeless camp! There's piles and bags of garbage everywhere (on and off the trails), dogs running around off leash, people who don't get out of the way, aggressive panhandling! This is a huge health hazard, typhoid, tetanus, yellow fever, and a few more diseases are easily spread this way, that's why it's still technically illegal to spit in public in many cities. One of our female janitors was accosted in the janitor's closet by a crazy/drugged homeless man, who then acted like he wanted to fight us while we waited and waited and waited for the CHP to finally show up, they didn't even search him or check his identification!

Co-workers have seen homeless having sex in the parking garage stairwells, we stepped over several used condoms there just last week.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/sa...234440612.html
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ion-sacramento
https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l.../103-594844449
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...y-12898656.php

The lawmakers have made almost everything a minor infraction, crimes that used to be felonies that would almost guarantee criminals would be locked up are now misdemeanors, which the police mostly won't even bother with...shameful.

The highways are riddled with potholes, cracks, car parts from wrecks that aren't cleaned up proper. Too many people, cars and traffic, roads that have not been expanded with more lanes since they were built, commutes that should take 15-20 minutes, take 1 hour or more due to this.

Our taxes a vehicle registration fees are some of the highest in the nation, yet the bureaucrats in charge constantly redirect the money to wasteful things like 'high-speed rail', we really just ought to repair/upgrade existing Amtrak rails and run more trains on them, would be way cheaper, faster and economical. The Capital Corridor rails into the San Francisco Bay Area are so old worn out and misaligned that the trains must slow to a crawl to avoid derailing and still sway around like a ship on the ocean.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...t-13621347.php

Levees that protect much of our states farming, homes and cities are being dug into by homeless, creating increased flood dangers and slowing trains.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tr...208599289.html

We like the environmental protections, it helps keep our air and water clean! I remember when all the automotive magazines said that muscle cars were dead due to smog requirements, bunch of horse pucky, autos are more efficient and powerful than ever! The automotive industry had grown lazy and complacent, but once they began to innovate again, it was all overcome and we're better for it.

I could post pictures of all this stuff, but it's disgusting, unhealthy and I'm sure you get the idea and there's plenty of information in the links I provided or a quick web search will overwhelm you.

Almost forgot that the cities pay crews to come out every morning and steam clean the fronts of buildings and sidewalks because it's gotten so bad.

Eh, anyways we're thankful for many things, but California needs to get it together, happy Tuesday everybody!
Don't worry, they just need to elect a few more Democrats to fix the problem...
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

DEF is like cat piss. hate the stuff. you can certainly tell if you have a leak...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Don't worry, they just need to elect a few more Democrats to fix the problem...

LOL, we're unhappy with both sides. What ever happened to doing the right thing? Would be nice if we could find and elect somebody who cares about the environment, has good values and will fix our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
DEF is like cat piss. hate the stuff. you can certainly tell if you have a leak...

It's actually urea, synthetic produced from what I've read.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Is Life in Calif That Bad? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southern Calif Orange County? djr01974 Newbie General 0 11-14-2015 08:54 PM
Crawler store in southern calif area? blckgnx California 8 01-22-2011 09:02 PM
how bad does heat affect battery life blazin396 Electronics 11 08-08-2010 12:44 PM
Fresno Calif Area Comp Tattoo John Competitions 7 10-20-2008 04:21 PM