Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 3D printing, sharing designs and licensing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 3D printing, sharing designs and licensing?

I'll just start by saying I dont fully understand the various licenses that are options when sharing designs. On Thingiverse I've been defaulting to creative commons, Attribution, non commercial because it just seems to be the right fit and I have heard of some peoples designs being stolen and posted up for sale elsewhere.

Now ideally I'd like for my designs to be a be to be shared freely (not for profit) but I just got contacted by a guy who sells prints asking if he can use the design if he sends a tip my way. Apparently a customer came to him asking him to print my design. I'm not sure how to respond yet.

I didn't really foresee this issue.

I guess the other option might be to just make a Shapeways store or something like it, but I'd rather not have to deal with all of the upkeep and paperwork that it may bring with it.

So I'm wondering if there might be a specific license that would allow shops to print my design for customers without setting the design loose (allowing people to do whatever they want with it). Or maybe they can do that now but they'd have to do it for no profit, making it not great on their end?

I suppose my designs could already have been printed without abiding by the license as its up to the individual to either respect it or ignore it.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-19-2019 at 07:21 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 3D printing, sharing designs and licensing?

Sorry that I can't help with your great question - just wanted to emphasize that I appreciate you (and others) sharing your designs. Good stuff!
Good luck. At least that guy asked first.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Holmes 3-D prints some stuff that he sells on his site - mabe reach out to him and ask for his input?
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I don't have an answer either, but I'm interested as well...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Custom Carbon Fiber

Once its on the internet for download and use its kind of free range for who ever gets it. You could license it or even go as far as apply for patents Im sure but how are you planning on policing it?

I would think having your own dedicated site to the files and license agreement written. The user would have to agree to the license before downloading it. Then you would have a digital tracker to whos downloading it and maybe track/monitor anyone trying to produce and sell it.

Maybe design some watermark type things into them so the user would have to actually edit your STL file to get rid of it. Reverse engineering an STL can be done but its not the easiest.

That was cool though that the guy contacted you first, stand up person there.

On the flip though all some one has to do is say they charged for the printing service and not the actual part. Even if this guy says no because you said no all the buyer has to do is upload your file to shapeways. Have them print it for him or find someone else and just say hey I got a file can you print it.

Last edited by Robbob; 07-20-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:49 AM   #6
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Holmes 3-D prints some stuff that he sells on his site - mabe reach out to him and ask for his input?
He doesnt openly give the files away for public download.

I think thats more of what hes looking for answers to. He is trying to help people out and doesnt want to see some one profiting off his kindness.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the input guys.

You make a good point Robbob, once its out there I guess I've already lost control. I'd really prefer not to have to police things.

Maybe in the long run it would serve folks (wanting parts but without printers) better to have a storefront somewhere. Although I'm just remembering the license for using Fusion 360 is free now but if I go commercial its $250 a year (marked down from $500).

Decisions, decisions... I guess I need to think about whether I keep doing it the same way or take the plunge to go commercial.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

You make a good point Robbob, once its out there I guess I've already lost control. I'd really prefer not to have to police things.

Maybe in the long run it would serve folks (wanting parts but without printers) better to have a storefront somewhere. Although I'm just remembering the license for using Fusion 360 is free now but if I go commercial its $250 a year (marked down from $500).

Decisions, decisions... I guess I need to think about whether I keep doing it the same way or take the plunge to go commercial.

My thoughts Casey, It is apparent that you enjoy the design aspect of the 3D printing and you have a good feel for making parts. Why not go ahead and get a Blue star and make a little money while helping out our RCC community! You can still pick and chose what and who you build for! This is the concept I use for Codyboy Design, no advertising, just building what ever I feel there is a true need for! Just my thoughts!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Once its on the internet for download and use its kind of free range for who ever gets it.

this is pretty much the case. once it is on the net, you lose control over it.
even as a "pay to play" situation - someone buys the file once, then prints as much as they want and sells the prints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Maybe design some watermark type things into them so the user would have to actually edit your STL file to get rid of it. Reverse engineering an STL can be done but its not the easiest.

Actually, it is probably easier to do than you think. I can think of 2 free programs right off the top of my head that will do the job without a lot of fuss.

Marking a file with a name, logo, whatever, is harder to do than removing said markings. I know, I have done it - at the request of the designer no less...

No, I will not do it for just anyone. I will only do it for someone I know is the designer/owner of the file. Sometimes it is just easier to edit the stl than to do it in the modeling program the original file was created with.

In the above case, I was asked to remove the text from the file for one of his customers that did not want it. The resulting file was used just the one time to date.
heartless is offline   Reply With Quote

3D printing, sharing designs and licensing? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharing our 2.2 builds dondraper25 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 12-13-2017 02:06 AM
Sharing some Inspiration 05Fronty4x 1.5 Scale Rigs 3 03-02-2013 04:31 PM
Sharing a channel? Duuuuuuuude Electronics 3 03-03-2011 08:50 PM
Rumor Mill: GM, Chrysler brand licensing GONE!!! JavelinSST390 Chit Chat 7 06-03-2009 10:44 PM