Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Title Search for a car you used to own...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Title Search for a car you used to own...

These are the things that make me want to punch puppies...

I traded in a car about seven years ago. I have received notice that this vehicle was involved with a traffic infraction in California (two years ago) and they want me to pay the fine. Anyone know how I go about getting a title report to show I did not own the vehicle with the infraction happened? I do have the VIN.

Last edited by Greatscott; 07-23-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Title Search for a car you used to own...

I wonder if you can contact the dealer (I assume) that you traded in at?

It looks like one of the first steps might be to go to the DMV and have them check to see how many vehicles are registered in your name. https://usinsuranceagents.com/answer...red-in-my-name
https://www.trafficviolationlawfirms...e-sold-vehicle

Thats a bummer, I hope you can get it straightened out easily.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i had that happen once only i dident trade it in i scraped it i had a recipt for the tow to the salvage yard and a recipt of sale a few years later that plate came up on a bridge toll violation it took forever to get it straitened out i had paperwork so they had to let it go
ether some one took the plate and were driving around with it exspiered for years or they went to alot of trouble to replace the motor and fix the damage from the semi that hit it and were driving around with exspiered tags i never herd anythiny more about it
just strange

the strangest though was a ticket from 18 years ago in a town that dosent exsist in a county that dosent exsist in a part of navada ive never been too in a car i never owend and when they sent me a copy of the ticket it only had the information on it that i gave them to saposidly find the ticket
uh what lol
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
Custom Carbon Fiber

Can you title search a car you dont own though? My state you have to show proof of ownership whether it be a bill of sale or registration.

I would think any paperwork that can show the transfer of plates or registration cancellation would be the get out of jail free key. Not that any DMV/Registry ever makes a mistake but you know it could happen
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #5
RCC Addict

i can top that lol.
my mom traded in a truck, 6yrs later state police/fbi looking guys show up asking if she owned it. she showed proof she traded it in and where.

apparently the name brand dealer she traded it into was running drugs etc out of their dealership and that truck was seized at the texas/mexico border with a bed full of drugs. the dealership had never sold it or transferred the title...obviously.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Do you have the paper work for the vehicle you traded it for, your documentation should state that you traded in the previous vehicle for the newer one, or did you give it up in a private trade for something else?

I once had a Yamaha raptor 660 stolen from a relative that I lent it too, but I didn’t report it stolen immediately, cause the relative asked for some time to find it, anyway I let 10 days pass, then I reported it to the local RCMP detachment, they put an A.P.B for it and in less than 2hrs a detective from the capital of Alberta (Edmonton) called my local RCMP (st.paul) and told the local cops that it was involved in robbery in the capital, and that it was now sitting in an impound lot, and had been for the past 8 days. I left the following day to retrieve it, but the clerk at the lot wanted me to pay for the fine, and the lot duties. It took me half the day to track down the detective that made the report, so he could fax/e-mail confirmation that the a.t.v was indeed stolen, and I was not the party in question, since I believe police already had him in custody.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

yup its called "release of liability". had to use mine once when we traded in our 2010 Tahoe. a week after buying/trading we got a red light camera ticket in the mail in los angeles (we lived in riverside at the time). my wife says "WTF WERE YOU DOING IN LA?!" i said nothing show me the picture. (yeah she didn't even look) she opens the picture and its this BOSS HOGG lookin dude. ummm NOPE.
sent in the release of liability to the LA courthouse and it was dismissed.
we keep paperwork on ALL of our cars and we still have them on file from all the way back in 2008 (we've owned like 16 different cars since then lol). you never know when you need to CYA!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
yup its called "release of liability". had to use mine once when we traded in our 2010 Tahoe. a week after buying/trading we got a red light camera ticket in the mail in los angeles (we lived in riverside at the time). my wife says "WTF WERE YOU DOING IN LA?!" i said nothing show me the picture. (yeah she didn't even look) she opens the picture and its this BOSS HOGG lookin dude. ummm NOPE.
sent in the release of liability to the LA courthouse and it was dismissed.
we keep paperwork on ALL of our cars and we still have them on file from all the way back in 2008 (we've owned like 16 different cars since then lol). you never know when you need to CYA!
Why did you leave your tag on a vehicle that you traded in? I have always taken mine off.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

In some states, the plates go with the car.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Title Search for a car you used to own... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
title? take a look! CM9000 Chit Chat 3 06-28-2016 12:08 PM
title under screen name.......... bob1961 Chit Chat 40 04-05-2012 04:15 PM
title under name........... bob1961 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 04-20-2010 11:58 AM
Interweb search help needed. (Rare car) wrx-n-ktm Chit Chat 40 12-15-2007 06:24 PM