Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anyone ever order from "ActiveHobbyz"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone ever order from "ActiveHobbyz"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
Use card for which you have protection against fraud, should be fine. With all the consumer protection out there anymore, its actually pretty difficult to get taken by scammers in the long term. May have to cancel the card and be reissued, but is what it is.
Not to punch anyone in the eye here, but if they deals are too good to be true on a brand new site, and you think you might get scammed, why risk it, even with a card with fraud protection?

Moreover, if you you think there is a very good chance it is a scam, why in the F*** would you give these people money? You do understand you are just funding their next scam and making it profitable so they'll do it again? What is God's name is wrong with you? Are really that desperate to save a couple of bucks on hobby shit? If you are that desperate, than you REALLY should not be in this hobby.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
If you are that desperate, than you REALLY should not be in this hobby.
exactly.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
OK, everything just got weirder...

Check this out now:

https://activehobbyz.onshopbase.com/

Prices are back up to normal levels...layout is totally different?

WTF?

I only found it because I was searching for a lexan body, and there was a hit at this site.

Still looks bogus in a lot of ways...

Looks to be scamming more people. I tired my login at the new site, and says my login is incorrect, or the account has been disabled.
Hobbimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Currently leads to this statement:

"Sorry, this shop is currently unavailable."
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Not to punch anyone in the eye here, but if they deals are too good to be true on a brand new site, and you think you might get scammed, why risk it, even with a card with fraud protection?

Moreover, if you you think there is a very good chance it is a scam, why in the F*** would you give these people money? You do understand you are just funding their next scam and making it profitable so they'll do it again? What is God's name is wrong with you? Are really that desperate to save a couple of bucks on hobby shit? If you are that desperate, than you REALLY should not be in this hobby.
I'm not going to argue about it, but in order to understand my statement, one has to have an understanding of commercial pay systems. Just because someone batches out at the end of a day, does not mean they get your money or your credit institutions money. Its just not that simple in this day and age.

That being said, my previous statements about buy it and let someone else worry about it may have been irresponsible advice to give, although not incorrect.

As far as anyone looking to save a few bucks on stuff shouldn't be in this hobby, lets keep apples to apples. The wealthy don't get that way and stay that way not looking to make a buck any chance they get.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
I'm not going to argue about it, but in order to understand my statement, one has to have an understanding of commercial pay systems. Just because someone batches out at the end of a day, does not mean they get your money or your credit institutions money. Its just not that simple in this day and age.

That being said, my previous statements about buy it and let someone else worry about it may have been irresponsible advice to give, although not incorrect.

As far as anyone looking to save a few bucks on stuff shouldn't be in this hobby, lets keep apples to apples. The wealthy don't get that way and stay that way not looking to make a buck any chance they get.
People do not set up these scam sites because they are not getting away with the money... they are, that is why they do it.

Second. I never said "anyone looking to save a few bucks on stuff shouldn't be in this hobby..." I said people who are desperate. I have a budget for my RC wears, and do not want to spend any more that I have to. A dollar saved on one part is a dollar I can put towards the next part. But, there are a number of people in this hobby (and I am guessing in every hobby) that are already living very close to the bone, and the only way they can afford parts and such is to take gambles with incredible prices sites like this offer. When lean times have hit me I have scaled back, shelved my trucks, or sold them.

Last edited by Greatscott; 08-16-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
People do not set up these scam sites because they are not getting away with the money... they are, that is why they do it.
you are correct, which is why having consumer protection is important, not everyone does. Very much like when utilizing paypal the difference between "friends and family" and paying for goods.

Quote:
Second. I never said "anyone looking to save a few bucks on stuff shouldn't be in this hobby..." I said people who are desperate. I have a budget for my RC wears, and do not want to spend any more that I have to. A dollar saved on one part is a dollar I can put towards the next part. But, there are a number of people in this hobby (and I am guessing in every hobby) that are already living very close to the bone, and the only way they can afford parts and such is to take gambles with incredible prices sites like this offer. When lean times have hit me I have scaled back, shelved my trucks, or sold them.
ok, we're on the same page then. I too have seen far too many people living beyond their means to feed their habbits, RC or other.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

BTW, I was just made aware that someone relatively new to the hobby got fleeced by this site - really disheartening to hear, as he is now having to fight to get his funds back before he can then actually order a crawler kit.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #29

Quote:

Really? I have been into this hobby since 1986, not about to leave it. I am a licensed contractor in my state, I am not poor by any means. But a deal is a deal my friend. Its no different than buying a new car, a house, a pet. If people want to shop around for the best price, so be it. The internet makes it easy to do so. Why bash people over wanting a item for a cheaper price? As I've stated before, I have ordered from overseas many times: RCmart, Stella models, Tamico, and got great deals. So much cheeper than the U.S. sites. This Active Hobbyz looked legit by all accounts, but as we all now know its a scam. So no amount of finger pointing makes any sense other than to let other people know to stay away from this site.
Hobbimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbimaster View Post
Really? I have been into this hobby since 1986, not about to leave it. I am a licensed contractor in my state, I am not poor by any means. But a deal is a deal my friend. Its no different than buying a new car, a house, a pet. If people want to shop around for the best price, so be it. The internet makes it easy to do so. Why bash people over wanting a item for a cheaper price? As I've stated before, I have ordered from overseas many times: RCmart, Stella models, Tamico, and got great deals. So much cheeper than the U.S. sites. This Active Hobbyz looked legit by all accounts, but as we all now know its a scam. So no amount of finger pointing makes any sense other than to let other people know to stay away from this site.
Yes, really... ***sigh***

Perhaps you should reread my last two posts. As stated, I am not against getting a good deal and saving money. Like the unbelievably lucky bastard that posted up about finding an RC mispriced on one of the main crawling online stores. These are the deals we dream of. And, kudos to that store for honoring the price.

But, with a minor amount of web-savvy you can spot a site that seems too good to be true. A turn-key storefront and unbelievable prices on everything are two big warnings. One key give-away that something is not right is when they offer discounted Traxxas RCs, there are not that many people that don't know that Traxxas does not allow that. Now, everyone who had a hunch that this particular online vendor was a scam and decided to "risk-it" has just made this deal profitable for the scammers; who, no doubt, will be setting up the next "looked legit by all accounts..." (only not legit enough to not ask if it is a scam) storefront.

Now I am going to poke some people in the eye...
I am guessing that a good number of people that fall for these sites are the same ones who respond that email from that Nigerian diplomat who just happens to need your help transferring $50,000,000 out of his country. Due to his diplomatic status, he can't do it himself, but if you help him he'll give you $3,000,000 for your assistance. You just need to establish a bank account at First Nigerian Savings and Fraud, and once you pay the one time account setup and money transfer fee of $1500, he will be able to transfer the full amount and you'll get your $3 million. Oh, and in addition to the $1500 fee, you'll have to give them all of your personal information...

And now, I submit this for your consideration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Uc-cztsJo
Old 08-19-2019, 02:52 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

/thread
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone ever order from "ActiveHobbyz"? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
Dinky R/C "Manx" pre-order muddauber7 Missouri 4 08-19-2008 07:26 PM