Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: worst part of your job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default worst part of your job?

Whats the worst part of your job?

Mine is currently being unable to share what I'm working on any longer. I really miss freely talking about new projects and products. If I talk about the next version of something, it impacts sales of what we have on the shelf as well as what vendors currently have on the shelf. Maybe I'll have a problem and it will take months. Maybe it's a really cool new product and I don't want to give other vendors good ideas before mine is out At any rate, it's always a test of my willpower and the past few months have been a real test.

I guess it's not a bad gig if that's really the worst part.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: worst part of your job?

So you’re finally going to release that flux capacitor you showed me back in 2007?

Will it need a BEC?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Dangit, don't let the cat out of the bag Dez!

runner up today, customs agents reclassifying my imports into higher brackets and then putting up a fight when I refile against their "creative" HTS codes.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:40 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

A flux capacitor?
Finally, I can go into the future to get the build I want to run Today.

Gotta be tuff not showing what you're creating so others don't rip it off and shove it into market before
ya get the best version of it..

The worst part of my job is getting a schedule full of appointments all over the state that
I can't make because the scheduler doesn't add in time travel and work time..

Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:34 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSS8tiy9Y3U
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukiiholic View Post
I worked in the printing ink industry for about 20 years, so I can totally relate to this. Commercial printers are insane with their demands and time tables. However, I understand it is the suits and their customers typically causing the chaos. We used to have a saying when a customer was being unrealistic: "Do you want it right or do you want it right now?"

In my current job, I don't really have a "worst part". I'm pretty happy. I guess it would be talking to a customer (that makes about three times what I make) in charge of a multi-million dollar boiler room and realizing that I know more than he does.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

.Gov red tape and insane procedures.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
I guess it would be talking to a customer (that makes about three times what I make) in charge of a multi-million dollar boiler room and realizing that I know more than he does.

Sounds familiar. Many friends that were dumb as bricks in high school now operate the oil/gas refineries and chemical plants here in Louisiana and make ridiculous money. Granted they could blow themselves up at any point I guess.

Worse part for me is moving up the ladder but not shedding any prior work. Congrats, here's a promotion. Keep doing what you're doing and now do even more. And consequentially it leads to more meetings I "have to be involved in" which further delays actual work getting done.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

been doing my current job, IT, for 12 years now. The thing that annoys me the most, getting the same simple questions every couple days from users doing the same job for 10+ years.

...and printers. !@#$ printers.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
...and printers. !@#$ printers.
I always imagine this scene:

Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Humans.

By far the worst part of my job is dealing with people. I hate people. loathe would probably be a better term.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I am in IT as well. The same question from the same users over and over again. I can relate...

Currently worst part of my job is the lady in the cubicle next to me. Her loud annoying laugh will make yours ears bleed but her perpetual gossiping about anybody and anything in the office has to be the worst. At least there is hope! Our building is getting remodeled this fall and I will have my own office. No more damned cubicle.

Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
..... Our building is getting remodeled this fall and I will have my own office. No more damned cubicle.
Upside to my work. My space is a small cave in the middle of the building. Nice to have a space all to myself. I do not miss cube life.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Worst part of my job is baby sitting adults that should already know how to work. On top of that most of them are older then me. Oh and people not caring about the equipment. I hear them say "don't worry, Justin can fix it". I can most of the time, but if they'd treat it right I wouldn't always be fixing it. Oh oh and the lady in the office that thinks she should be telling me how to do my job. Even though I've been in this industry 17 years longer then her.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Dealing with engineers...

I am a technician in an Engineer driven work environment. Most of the engineers are ok, but have that token handful that just think they are experts on everything, and will let you know it. These are also the people that feel the need to explain things to you like you are a five year old, even thought you have a lot more experience in the subject matter. One of these people is a recent grad from U of I (Idaho), she has a degree in electrical engineering and has no concept of Ohm's law, or anything else having to do with electronics, but she thinks she is in charge. I am our resident ROV expert, I do the lion's share of the maintenance and all of repairs and upgrades on our ROV systems, but certain engineers will want to explain to me how my equipment works and how to make it better. Even better, one particular engineer tried explaining to me how particular piece of equipment worked and thankfully stopped talking when I told him that I was the one that designed and built the thing.

Even with having to deal with these engineers, I have to say that I do work at a pretty cool place. R & D is a unique environment to work in, and there are not many people that can say they work at a Navy base in Idaho.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I have a pretty good job so I shouldn't complaint but as someone who's done finish carpentry (cabinets) for for 17 years being moved into the office stinks. I much prefer working with my hands.

Oh and for those who haven't seen the Roadkill parody of the office space printer scene using the Rotsun motor, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyrXSoM-ATU

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-01-2019 at 10:38 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Can I pick more than one??

A few things that I'll mention here that are at the top of the list although there are unfortunately many more things besides these...

Reaching into a cardboard toy display box and pulling out a used wet feminine hygiene product, sinking my fingers into a hidden cup of warm Copenhagen spit, being thrown up upon, discarding thousands of dollars of milk, meat, and produce because someone changed their mind yet couldn't do the right thing and put it back, watching parents steal while using their children as lookouts, being repeatedly talked down to and threatened by customers because "I" don't have what they want, being repeatedly lied to by my superiors in order for them to avoid being held accountable for their mistakes and inefficiency, having my schedule changed without any communication from management less than 24 hrs in advance, spending hours and hours organizing and picking up after grown adults while they simultaneously trash the shelves and isles right next to me, and doing a great job for over a decade yet only making a little more than $11 hr... Oh, and trying to smile while suppressing so much anger and disgust.

Although like one lovely woman told me as I was picking up the remains of some snacks that her child had discarded all over the floor... "Since you say you never finished college then you deserve to be doing this!!!"
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Can I pick more than one??

A few things that I'll mention here that are at the top of the list although there are unfortunately many more things besides these...

Reaching into a cardboard toy display box and pulling out a used wet feminine hygiene product, sinking my fingers into a hidden cup of warm Copenhagen spit, being thrown up upon, discarding thousands of dollars of milk, meat, and produce because someone changed their mind yet couldn't do the right thing and put it back, watching parents steal while using their children as lookouts, being repeatedly talked down to and threatened by customers because "I" don't have what they want, being repeatedly lied to by my superiors in order for them to avoid being held accountable for their mistakes and inefficiency, having my schedule changed without any communication from management less than 24 hrs in advance, spending hours and hours organizing and picking up after grown adults while they simultaneously trash the shelves and isles right next to me, and doing a great job for over a decade yet only making a little more than $11 hr... Oh, and trying to smile while suppressing so much anger and disgust.

Although like one lovely woman told me as I was picking up the remains of some snacks that her child had discarded all over the floor... "Since you say you never finished college then you deserve to be doing this!!!"
Sounds like you need a new job.
jonnywachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #19
RCC Addict

The worst part of my job is that I can't play with some of the toys that show up at work.

But it isn't all bad, I do get to play with my toy on occasion.

Last edited by Inspector86; 08-01-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywachter View Post
Sounds like you need a new job.
Fact. Retail is nowhere for an adult to work unless they lack ambition.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote

worst part of your job? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The worst part about bashing the Yeti XL Deckard Axial Yeti XL 7 12-03-2015 09:01 PM
Worst Tow job ever STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 14 11-11-2014 11:54 PM
Just Doing My Part- Did I do A Good Job? RANOVRU Chit Chat 2 07-18-2006 08:58 AM
Worst job in the world. (Not Work SAFE [NWS]) Plays_with_Toys Chit Chat 7 11-17-2005 05:58 PM