Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Knight Rider debuted on this day in 1982

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Cool Knight Rider debuted on this day in 1982

man i remember watching it everyday after school. i bet ive seen every episode 2-3 times.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Knight Rider debuted on this day in 1982

Michael. You're driving too fast, Michael.

Of all the quotable quotes from that show, THAT is the one that stuck with me.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #3

What a bad ass show. What happened to our car culture shows and movies? The 80's was filled with them.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Liberal social media trending half-wits that are scared of fossil fuels and men with on-screen charisma and bravado. Gotta appeal to all those transgender Taylor Swift fans now.

I loved the Dukes Of Hazard, Knight Rider, Starsky & Hutch, A-Team, Rockford Files, etc, etc... but that's just scary sexist stuff these days I guess. Even as light-hearted as these shows were... they're apparently offensive now.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What a bad ass show. What happened to our car culture shows and movies? The 80's was filled with them.
Fast and Furious franchise?

"Reality" TV pretty much killed all TV programming because of its low production values and low cost.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Liberal social media trending half-wits that are scared of fossil fuels and men with on-screen charisma and bravado. Gotta appeal to all those transgender Taylor Swift fans now.

I loved the Dukes Of Hazard, Knight Rider, Starsky & Hutch, A-Team, Rockford Files, etc, etc... but that's just scary sexist stuff these days I guess. Even as light-hearted as these shows were... they're apparently offensive now.
Not offensive, just corny and formulaic. I loved some of those shows as a kid, but when I see them today, I wince at the bad acting, general silliness and predictable outcomes. I loved the original BSG when I was a kid, but I can't watch it now because it's so bad on so many levels.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

haha yeah rewatching these as an adult there are pretty terrible. i still occationally will watch at episode of A team on my lunch break. so bad.
but they were great back then as a kid.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Fast and Furious franchise?

"Reality" TV pretty much killed all TV programming because of its low production values and low cost.
The first movie was pretty cool, but they quickly went downhill. And they were too full of rice anyway.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Bonnie was my first (american) celeb crush.
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

Love Knight Rider and many of the other shows from the 80's! They were cool to watch as a kid back then, but kinda hard to watch now after all of the tech advances since then.

My favorite show that I watched was CHiP's! Still love to watch it today! It's cool to see all the classic cars and trucks of yesterday!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #11

Most of those shows were cheesy and horrible, which is why I like them now. I've seen every episode of the Dukes of Hazzard multiple times.

About the only show from that period that actually holds up well today is Magnum PI. That show was leagues beyond the rest in terms of writing quality.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Happy Birthday Night Rider.

Gotta say, my favorite car TV series was:

HARDCASTLE and McCORMICK

A Judge, a Con, a BADASS Car. Love the theme song "drive", and LOVE the sound of that freakin' car. Sounds just like formula 1 from the good ole days of V10's and what not before turbo's came into the for front. lol, I even have DVDs of the first 3 seasons.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The first movie was pretty cool, but they quickly went downhill. And they were too full of rice anyway.
I agree with you. Dom goes from bad-ass street racer to John Wick over the course of the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Most of those shows were cheesy and horrible, which is why I like them now. I've seen every episode of the Dukes of Hazzard multiple times.

About the only show from that period that actually holds up well today is Magnum PI. That show was leagues beyond the rest in terms of writing quality.
That is because Magnum PI actually did stories with character development every now and then. The episode where he is stranded out in the open ocean treading water and flashing back to when he was a kid has stuck with me for some reason. Another favorite was the episode where TC, Rick and Higgins are each giving their (highly embellished) accounts of what happened during a robbery at the King Kamehameha Club.

If you hold a show like DoH next to "The Sopranos" or "Breaking Bad", you can see why they don't make shows like that anymore.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Agreed on most of the above points. I've tried to re-watch some of them as an adult. Most are terrible. Hell the A Team was supposed to be some super elite spec ops unit. Yet in every episode, they'd fire 5,000rds and never hit shit.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Agreed on most of the above points. I've tried to re-watch some of them as an adult. Most are terrible. Hell the A Team was supposed to be some super elite spec ops unit. Yet in every episode, they'd fire 5,000rds and never hit shit.
I'm not sure what is funnier, seeing the same M38 get flipped every other episode or the same missile used over and over in Airwolf.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Happy Birthday Night Rider.

Gotta say, my favorite car TV series was:

HARDCASTLE and McCORMICK

A Judge, a Con, a BADASS Car. Love the theme song "drive", and LOVE the sound of that freakin' car. Sounds just like formula 1 from the good ole days of V10's and what not before turbo's came into the for front. lol, I even have DVDs of the first 3 seasons.
The season one car, hell yes!That was my dream car as a kid. It's called the Coyote X and it was last owned by an average Joe.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Not offensive, just corny and formulaic. I loved some of those shows as a kid, but when I see them today, I wince at the bad acting, general silliness and predictable outcomes. I loved the original BSG when I was a kid, but I can't watch it now because it's so bad on so many levels.
I agree to a point... but today's sitcoms and "reality" shows are pretty predicable too. And I do think that today's social-media crowd would go out of their way to take offense of classic tv shows... the confederate flag, Huggy Bear the pimped out snitch, Andy Taylor's views on women and marriage, slow motion Baywatch hotties, etc, etc. A lot of the shows were indeed cheesy by today's standards but back then we certainly didn't think so and at least to me there's a sorta neat feeling that I get when I see bad acting. I don't want to pay to see it but it brings a smile to my face when I watch the old stuff. Knight Rider was actually pretty family friendly for the most part so I kinda got off topic waxing nostalgic.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

As cheesy as those shows were they are still better than most reality shows nowadays.
SPLATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #19
RCC Addict

The eighties knew how to do "Cool Cheesy". It's a lost art. Stuff now is all check boxes. PC is what made everything jump the shark in the 90's and brought us what we have today.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Knight Rider debuted on this day in 1982 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Justin Beiber to be the voice of KITT (Knight Rider) STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 2 09-25-2014 01:30 PM
Knight Rider Chasing Strobe Light jray Newbie General 5 08-12-2011 11:20 PM
Knight Rider- The stunt rig 4xFord EnRoute Berg 41 03-27-2011 05:47 PM
Knight Rider........gone horribly wrong... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 22 03-13-2009 08:55 AM