Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: R.I.P. Neil Peart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default R.I.P. Neil Peart

Incredible drummer, lyricist, author, and all-around rock god passes away after battle with brain cancer:

https://www.rollingstone.com/t/neil-peart/

durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart

RIP Neil!

One hell of a drummer! You will be missed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I am deeply heartbroken by this. Neil is the reason I started playing drums 38 years ago at the age of 12 and I still continue to play to this day.. He was and is my hero. There were drummers and then there was Neil Peart. He was in a league all of his own.

I was fortunate to see Neil play on every single tour from Moving Pictures until their last tour (R40) 5 years ago. Rush was my very first concert as a kid and ironically was the very last rock concert that I've seen as an adult. I am truly saddened by this, and "The Professor" will be missed.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Most musician's deaths don't hit me so hard. This was an exception. Rush was always one of my all time most favorites alongside Zeppelin and Floyd. Was fortunate enough to see them once... Grace Under Pressure Tour. All three members were inspirational to my music. Just listening to Subdivisions today brought a couple tears to my eyes. Rest In Peace, Neil.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:04 PM   #5
Slow is the new Fast

I had no idea Neil was battling brain cancer. Sorry to hear he has left us, hope his soul has found some bliss. I really enjoyed 2112 and Moving Pictures when I was a kid.

Red Barchetta, still love this song. I still crank up my original vinyl pressing of Moving Pictures in the RC workshop

https://youtu.be/FAvQSkK8Z8U
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I was lucky enough to see Rush play in 1974. My best friend and I went to a Uriah Heep/Manfred Man concert. We were there early getting tuned up with the crowd and the announcer comes out on stage and asks if we want to hear this new band that was traveling thru who spotted some Mercury label bandmates on the billboard and wanted to play. We all good naturedly screamed YEAHHHH, being pretty well tuned up by this point, and out comes this 3 piece band named Rush. Well now, they started into Working Man and my life was never the same. RIP Niel.
hank the crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Most musician's deaths don't hit me so hard. This was an exception. Rush was always one of my all time most favorites alongside Zeppelin and Floyd. Was fortunate enough to see them once... Grace Under Pressure Tour. All three members were inspirational to my music. Just listening to Subdivisions today brought a couple tears to my eyes. Rest In Peace, Neil.
I mentioned on another forum that I've hit the age where the icons I grew up with are starting to pass. I don't think anything is imminent, but I have heard that Eddie Van Halen's cancer is back and he is not doing well. That would be another earth-shaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I had no idea Neil was battling brain cancer. Sorry to hear he has left us, hope his soul has found some bliss. I really enjoyed 2112 and Moving Pictures when I was a kid.

Red Barchetta, still love this song. I still crank up my original vinyl pressing of Moving Pictures in the RC workshop

https://youtu.be/FAvQSkK8Z8U
His family had kept it secret for three and a half years. Peart died on Tuesday and they didn't announce until Friday.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

With out a doubt, Neil Peart was one of the greatest drummers, and inspired countless people to pick up the sticks. RIP, your legacy will live on for generations.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

This is sad, what a terrible loss to the drum and music world.
I cranked it up on friday.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

One of the best. RIP. ...
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

When I read the news feed on Friday night, I felt absolutely shocked. I can't remember how many times I would listen to a new (at the time) album and read through the lyrics, just making my mind grow to understand a concept that I didn't comprehend. At the bottom of the lyrics for every track was the name of a book that helped to inspire the song. I'd go to the library and check out the book and read it, learning new words and ideas along the way.

No other band has ever had that sort of impact on me, or the people around me. His words made us more intellectual human beings. As much as it's a sadder world without him here anymore, at least his lyrics and philosophies are well documented so that he can continue to reach fresh minds. That's a power that few ever achieve.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:04 AM   #12

Really sucked to hear this
Thompson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:39 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
When I read the news feed on Friday night, I felt absolutely shocked. I can't remember how many times I would listen to a new (at the time) album and read through the lyrics, just making my mind grow to understand a concept that I didn't comprehend. At the bottom of the lyrics for every track was the name of a book that helped to inspire the song. I'd go to the library and check out the book and read it, learning new words and ideas along the way.

No other band has ever had that sort of impact on me, or the people around me. His words made us more intellectual human beings. As much as it's a sadder world without him here anymore, at least his lyrics and philosophies are well documented so that he can continue to reach fresh minds. That's a power that few ever achieve.
I really enjoyed reading your thoughts, here.

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand.. Ignorance, prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand". I've carried that with me most of my life.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:47 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Well, he and Buddy Rich can have the most bad@$$ drum solo battle ever!

Much respect that he and his family kept this private, and didn't parade around attention seeking over it. I could love and hate Geddy's voice, but the music and Neal's talent are legendary.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #15

Saw them in Tulsa.
Hard Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Heard about this, so sad, saw Rush in concert several times back when!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Man, such a bummer.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote