Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 2020....year of the IFS scaler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2020....year of the IFS scaler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Well Element wasn't the first to release an IFS kit. I believe that honor goes to Roll Scale.
Roll Scale beat Element to the market with an IFS kit, but only by a couple of weeks. They announced it quite a while ago, but it was just released. Element was the smarter company, keeping it "under wraps"...plus, Element's kit looks a LOT more refined. Element will outsell Roll Scale 500:1, or better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
IFS WITH PORTALS! in 2021...heh.
You meant it as a joke...obviously...but it was done, on 1:1, starting back in the 80s. The HMMWV (Humvee, to those of you who were never in the military) had 4WD, full independent suspension, AND portals. Was...and still is...one of the greatest off-road vehicles ever made - a TRUE "go (almost) anywhere, and do (almost) anything" vehicle.

Obviously, I'm not talking about the crap GM put out, but the REAL Hummer, made by AM General. GM took a great vehicle, and totally ruined it. Then, they drove it into the ground, by making even more crappy smaller versions. (H2, H3). Finally, before they could do even more damage, they killed off the brand. That "more damage" that they were about to do was in the form of their next 'smaller' version, the H4 (internally, called the HX), which was a Jeep Wrangler sized vehicle, that also somewhat reassembled the Wrangler.

Now that all that explaining is done, I want a full independent suspension, portal-equipped, Toyota Tacoma.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 02-11-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I meant it as a joke, but not to jab at the hmmwv. I drove one briefly during convoy training at Fort Jackson. Uncomfortable and slow, but damn did it feel capable.

And yeah the konghead too, but I mean... That thing is more star wars than crawler lol again no jab at tamiya I was raised on their stuff. It's just good wholesome fun.

Now excuse me while I wait impatiently for the IFS kit availability...
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:51 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

I've been wanting to build a Jeep KJ (Liberty) for years. IFS/SRA was really the only thing holding me back. May have to track down a body, or have one printed, if these kits prove worthwhile.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #24
~THE SCALE SHOP~

the losi rock rey was alot of what you guys are asking. could both be a locked crawler, or an open go fast truck. but for some reason losi struggled with sales on it.
great steering angle, beefy parts/axles etc.

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
the losi rock rey was alot of what you guys are asking. could both be a locked crawler, or an open go fast truck. but for some reason losi struggled with sales on it.
Losis don't sell like other brands. I'm not sure if it's because of less marketing or what. I agree they make great stuff. The reason I never finished my Rock Rey is because it's massive for crawling around here.

It's a good size for a faster rig though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Losis don't sell like other brands. I'm not sure if it's because of less marketing or what. I agree they make great stuff. The reason I never finished my Rock Rey is because it's massive for crawling around here.

It's a good size for a faster rig though.

I was going to say, I'd be more interested in the Rock Rey with a truck body, but then I remembered Losi has the Baja Rey, which I did not buy. Why not? Honestly, I think a lack of popularity played into it. I just don't see the Baja Rey featured in too many videos, pictures, or discussions. Maybe I'm not looking in the right corners of the internet, but I think your point about Losi products not selling in high volumes (relatively speaking) is valid.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I was going to say, I'd be more interested in the Rock Rey with a truck body, but then I remembered Losi has the Baja Rey, which I did not buy. Why not? Honestly, I think a lack of popularity played into it. I just don't see the Baja Rey featured in too many videos, pictures, or discussions. Maybe I'm not looking in the right corners of the internet, but I think your point about Losi products not selling in high volumes (relatively speaking) is valid.
Also those rigs, baja rey, the UDR. They are pretty big in scale. I don't think most people have a large space to run them. That's why I never got one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
FormallySkullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

yeah im not sure what losi was trying to accomplish with that since we already had the yeti that was suffering in sales.
sure, the yeti wasn't as good as the losi in most aspects, but it would pretty much hope to fill the same niche that everybody was done with at that point.

i do enjoy the layout but yeah... losi kinda missed the mark there. even with a superior design it just fell on deaf ears.

and this IFS kit is for the scaler/crawler peeps so... much different niche and a whole different animal.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
What has been out on the market is either geared towards being an Ultra4 Rig (Rock rey, Twin Hammers) or a trophy truck type rig (Baja rey, Outlaw, UDR, etc). Not a lot of options for 1/10th scale crawler/trail trucks with IFS.
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I am in...got my first Tamiya CC01...now bring the portals back!
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoreDX View Post
What has been out on the market is either geared towards being an Ultra4 Rig (Rock rey, Twin Hammers) or a trophy truck type rig (Baja rey, Outlaw, UDR, etc). Not a lot of options for 1/10th scale crawler/trail trucks with IFS.
Yup, the losi etc. Are not 1/10th.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

I think they missed the boat by not having a open diff option for this IFS kit. Maybe it's not possible because of the size of the ring gear and pinion but a scale Raptor build is kinda blown without the open diff, IMO. The handling at speed will be crap. I'm not talking Baja Rey speed or anything just something around 15-20 mph.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
I think they missed the boat by not having a open diff option for this IFS kit. Maybe it's not possible because of the size of the ring gear and pinion but a scale Raptor build is kinda blown without the open diff, IMO. The handling at speed will be crap. I'm not talking Baja Rey speed or anything just something around 15-20 mph.
My thoughts exactly! I contacted them. No open diff option. I bet they are trying to come up with it now though, lol. So many people have the same thoughts as us

2020....year of the IFS scaler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is 2020 gonna be a big year? Frank211 Chit Chat 25 05-03-2020 06:33 AM
It’s that time of year again! New Years hangover 2020 stevem50 Maryland 0 11-30-2019 06:44 PM
Scaler Year in Review 2008-2009 StoneCrawler Scale Videos! 24 12-12-2009 11:21 PM