Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Coronavirus - Covid-19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #181

Default Re: Coronavirus - Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
My facts come from a local Essential Oils facebook group and a UFO/Bigfoot Conspiracy forum so I'm good.
Ah you use oils? You're good. If it's CBD, rumor has it you'll outlive the next dinosaur-killing meteor.

Coronavirus isn't new from what I understand. The 19 is just a new flavor.

Why are churches closing down? I thought Jesus controlled all and saved his believers?

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-16-2020 at 01:23 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #182
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Why are churches closing down? I thought Jesus controlled all and saved his believers?
My church of 4,000 people closed down and we did online service only yesterday morning. The whole social separation thing. Jesus is in control and did save his believers, but we are still susceptible to the virus none the less.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #183
RCC Addict

here you get the numbers from john hopkins university
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Europe is shuting down .... the world has to shut down .. the only way we gain time ... and slow down the spread out to not overwhelm our health system .. which happend in Italy. Covid is a disease no body has any weapons to fight against ...

Stay at home, only go out if necessary, wash you hands with soap min 30 sec. ... hope we all will go through with out harm ...

Translation: couldn't wash hands.... died out.

Last edited by magic_yeti; 03-16-2020 at 01:57 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #184
I wanna be Dave

Thanks @hobbyjumper & @magic_yeti for bringing back some logic to this thread!

And for those saying dont listen to the media, okay I can understand that but please at least listen to the medical experts and W.H.O.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #185
I wanna be Dave

So, to take a break from all of the coverage of this whole mess I watched a video of a park ranger getting attacked by a mountain lion...

I guess this is the new normal?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #186
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I would like to see you explain that to people who have lost loved ones to this!!
It is easy to make statements like this hiding behind your key board. Maybe you could go to one of the senior care centers and try that line on relatives communicating with their mom or dad, or maybe just a good friend through the windows!!!
Stop being so narrow minded!!! This is a very real problem that will impact us for a long. Maybe it would help you to read my earlier post about looking at the wrong numbers. Oh and have a great day.
Ernie
Loved ones dying doesn’t mean the media isn’t causing unnecessary panic though.

My biggest gripe is them saying, very matter of factly, it’s going to get worse & hundreds of thousands are going get sick. Nobody knows this, all it does it cause what we’re seeing now, mass panic. They’re just speculating. I don’t see any reason to speculate so hard towards the negative. What they even been saying precaution wise has been good, leave it at that. Saying it might or could get however bad would alleviate some of that panic.

Then you have people blasting the president for saying it could get worse & showing calm & confidence in the face if it... I’d rather have our leader show that then lose his shit over it.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #187
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd4ws View Post
We're fawked. Coffeeshops are closed 'til the 6th of april...
Rolled back within 24 hours.

Y'all are safe now. Carry on.
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #188
RCC Addict

My wife and I both work directly with the public. She's younger/ healthy but I'm older/ not so healthy. This thing has us concerned lately but we're stocked up on the essentials and had already been planning to limit or avoid grocery shopping for at least a month or more. I work a lot less than she does per week but we have both been concerned that one of us will bring it home and spread it to the other. And obviously she and I both are more worried about me recovering from this than her.

But I received some encouraging news today from my employer that I'll be able to call in through the end of April without it counting against me. I won't get paid but that's okay short term. Unfortunately my wife's employer still hasn't done anything like this. She gets 10 sick days/ call in's then she's fired ( exemplary work history/ model employee in mgmt fwiw). We're hoping that they implement a covid-19 policy revision soon so that she can leave for a while if she needs to ( BEFORE it would come down to her actually testing positive) but as of now... nothing ( company not even cleaning/ sanitizing more than normal).

I'm not advocating panicking but at THIS point, if some gool ol' panic is what it takes to temporarily instill some elevated sense of responsibility to take this seriously then I'm all for it. The spring-breakers are out in force down here and potentially carrying/ spreading this shit around. So are the locals that travel around this town day to day. My wife and I have very real concerns about how the medical system will be able to handle a massive number of patients. Down here in central Texas, I sure don't see anyone being seemingly proactive and it's obvious that many folks ( individuals and employers alike) don't have any kind of game-plan for this. Not that I necessarily think that we are destined for a worse-case scenario but... Americans have a VERY short attention span and there is a tendency to blow things off if people aren't actually experiencing something first hand.I'd rather err on the side of caution cause it's gonna be a really rough one for me if I catch it.

Last edited by high plains drifter; 03-16-2020 at 06:13 PM.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #189
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thanks @hobbyjumper & @magic_yeti for bringing back some logic to this thread!

And for those saying dont listen to the media, okay I can understand that but please at least listen to the medical experts and W.H.O.
My problem is with trusting anything from the UN. Remember this is the same august body which gave us the IPCC. The UN has a political agenda, just look at who is part of it.

~more facts, logic and personal responsibility would make the world a far better place than all the leftist ideas could dream of.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #190
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I see parents complaining about school closings! I guess they're pissed off that now they're going to be stuck dealing with their own brats.

The issue we have is, my wife and I both work. My mother in law watches our daughter the few hours a day after school while we work. She is 67 and not in the best health. People 65 and older have been instructed to stay home. If she decides not to risk it by going out. Who watches our 9 yo while we work?
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
The issue we have is, my wife and I both work. My mother in law watches our daughter the few hours a day after school while we work. She is 67 and not in the best health. People 65 and older have been instructed to stay home. If she decides not to risk it by going out. Who watches our 9 yo while we work?
You should have a backup plan. So what is it?
Old 03-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #192
RCC Addict

I wanted to say something about the "media promoting panic". I've hated the media for many years... passionately at times. But I don't think that they're attempting to create panic as much as they are trying to create viewership. It's been all about ratings for many many years... no journalism. And I have no problem filtering out the fact from the hype.. The misinformation, unconfirmed sources, "stay tuned for the heart-braking details" stuff doesn't generally comprise an entire newscast. So I make sure to digest my info accordingly. I will say that we've recently only been watching the news in small doses though. Too much of this shit all at once is a lot to try to process and it becomes pretty damned depressing without taking a break from it.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #193
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You should have a backup plan. So what is it?

We will do what we have to. My company is monitoring the situation and may close down for a week or two if needed. We could have the MIL come stay with us (last resort ). Having her here would strain our supplies, (I swear that woman uses a roll of TP a day! ). I have sick hours I can use. Daughters school is shut down until April 10th. Then we are supposed to go camping for a few days. We will get by. It would give me more time to play with my 3D printer
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #194
I wanna be Dave

Good media news...

I saw on HLN this morning that human trials for a vaccine will start this week in Seattle. Of course, it will be a couple of weeks of testing to make sure the guinea pigs aren't turned into zombies.

Now for the 'WTF' segment of our program...
I have heard nothing of any kind of vaccine coming out of China, Japan, Europe, or any other place. It would seem like they'd have a jump start on this, and should have something devolved already.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:13 AM   #195
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, that vaccine is still a year out for the general public at least. Taken straight from the article;

Despite the rapid progress, even if the vaccine is proved safe and effective against the virus, it will not be available for at least a year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/h...s-vaccine.html
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I wanted to say something about the "media promoting panic". I've hated the media for many years... passionately at times. But I don't think that they're attempting to create panic as much as they are trying to create viewership. It's been all about ratings for many many years... no journalism. And I have no problem filtering out the fact from the hype.. The misinformation, unconfirmed sources, "stay tuned for the heart-braking details" stuff doesn't generally comprise an entire newscast. So I make sure to digest my info accordingly. I will say that we've recently only been watching the news in small doses though. Too much of this shit all at once is a lot to try to process and it becomes pretty damned depressing without taking a break from it.
I do think the media is creating a panic and this isn't the first time. Even in the case of supplies. How do you create a panic about not having TP or food? You show empty shelves on the news on every, single, damn episode.

It's illegal to create a panic. If you or I did it we'd be arrested. The media isn't held to any standards. They're as useless and pathetic as tabloids anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
We will do what we have to. My company is monitoring the situation and may close down for a week or two if needed. We could have the MIL come stay with us (last resort ). Having her here would strain our supplies, (I swear that woman uses a roll of TP a day! ). I have sick hours I can use. Daughters school is shut down until April 10th. Then we are supposed to go camping for a few days. We will get by. It would give me more time to play with my 3D printer
It's a tough situation. I think rules will be bent because of this pandemic. My brother-in-law's job is allowing him to bring my nephew since his school closed for a couple of weeks. I don't think 2 weeks is going to buy us much of anything so we'll see if the closures are extended.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #197
RCC Addict

Quote:
I do think the media is creating a panic and this isn't the first time. Even in the case of supplies. How do you create a panic about not having TP or food? You show empty shelves on the news on every, single, damn episode.

It's illegal to create a panic. If you or I did it we'd be arrested. The media isn't held to any standards. They're as useless and pathetic as tabloids anymore.
Maybe.. but I still think they are primarily after ratings. Regarding toilet paper and some types of food... many stores are running out of staples down here... seeing it first hand. So... even if they're intentionally trying to create panic, they're not exactly wrong in all cases. If nothing else, since stores aren't able to keep some products in stock, maybe that'll spark people to actually try to come up with a solution... or to start changing their eating habits short term.

Believe me... I have a great disdain for the media and I'm not defending them as much as I'm simply looking at all sides. And again... if it takes some hyped-up reporting to get people to take this seriously, I don't have an issue with that. I've got plenty of ammo if it gets to that point.

Stay well out there, folks... what a mess.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #198
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Good media news...

I saw on HLN this morning that human trials for a vaccine will start this week in Seattle. Of course, it will be a couple of weeks of testing to make sure the guinea pigs aren't turned into zombies.

Now for the 'WTF' segment of our program...
I have heard nothing of any kind of vaccine coming out of China, Japan, Europe, or any other place. It would seem like they'd have a jump start on this, and should have something devolved already.

cause you heard nothing...., first test with a vaccine is starting in china...
also in europe ..... round the world scientist are working on a vaccine since it was discovered, but this takes time and to bring it to the public it take round about 1 year... I think first we can expect some meds against covid-19 before we see vaccines.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Maybe.. but I still think they are primarily after ratings. Regarding toilet paper and some types of food... many stores are running out of staples down here... seeing it first hand. So... even if they're intentionally trying to create panic, they're not exactly wrong in all cases. If nothing else, since stores aren't able to keep some products in stock, maybe that'll spark people to actually try to come up with a solution... or to start changing their eating habits short term.

Believe me... I have a great disdain for the media and I'm not defending them as much as I'm simply looking at all sides. And again... if it takes some hyped-up reporting to get people to take this seriously, I don't have an issue with that. I've got plenty of ammo if it gets to that point.

Stay well out there, folks... what a mess.
Nothing generates ratings like panicked people trying to figure out WTF is going on!

Panic and hoarders are causing shortages. The world was fine supplying every US citizen with food and hygiene products. Suddenly there's a shortage. Has the population exploded over night? Nope, people are hoarding.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #200
RCC Addict

Quote:
Nothing generates ratings like panicked people trying to figure out WTF is going on!

Panic and hoarders are causing shortages. The world was fine supplying every US citizen with food and hygiene products. Suddenly there's a shortage. Has the population exploded over night? Nope, people are hoarding.
I still don't understand hoarding TP.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote