Notices

Thread: Coronavirus - Covid-19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Coronavirus - Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
There seems to be some misinformation circulating on the internet regarding the size of covid-19 virus.
Some claim 0.1 to 0.2 microns and some claim it to be 400 to 500 microns.

Common sense says 400 to 500 microns is a huge size for any virus and is likely to be wrong.

Anybody knows the right size bracket for covid-19?

According to a paper published on the NEJM website, the size ranges from .060 microns (with no spikes) to .140 microns.

Here is the link to the article: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001017

Construction grade N95 respirators are tested with particles that are .300 microns in diameter.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
So very true. Seams like every year something is trying to kill us all, lol. Yes people are disgusting, wash your hands people. Years from now kids will be studying the 2020 corona virus and all they will remember is that text books said that was the year of the great toilet paper shortage. And when the kids interview us old people we can tell them I remember that stupid corona virus, that was the year all the hoarders took all the toilet paper, lol.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

When Mom had still been working at the local Jewel grocery store at that time, she had one elderly customer that would buy 4 packs of TP at a time because he was positive things would fall apart when the ball dropped on 1/1/2000. My friend in Michigan sent me pics of the sanitizing product isle as well as the TP isle of his local Meijer that were pretty well wiped out! Mom passed away just as all this started in China (MRSA and Pneumonia), I wonder what she would have thought of that.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

As a professional chauffeur in the SF Bay Area, the coronavirus is "killing" business. Facebook has cancelled two conferences, and postponed a third; Google has cancelled A MAJOR conference (Google I/O 2020), and postponed another; IBM has postponed a conference; and, today, just found out Google cancelled their 2-day Yosemite trip that was scheduled to take place next week.

The company I drive for has the event driving contracts for all these events, plus others. It's things like this that have "side effects" for other industries. From what I understand, after 9/11, most of the local limousine companies went belly-up, and the company I work for was one of the few that survived. On the 'plus' side (if one can truly consider this a "plus"), it looks like I'll now be able to make it to all 3 days of Scale Nationals (originally, I was only going to make it for the final day, as I'm competing in Class 3).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Fear mongering bullshit.
Amen sister.

I’m beyond over the hysteria. It’s reckless & irresponsible that the media keeps hyping it up. Come back when you have an actual update. Not just telling us to wash our hands & not touch our faces...
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I travel nearly weekly for work, mostly by plane. (I’ll typically drive if the destination is within 7 hrs). I have not cancelled any planned trips or flights nor do I plan to. At the end of the day, practice good hygiene and use common sense. Enough with the hand wringing and hysterics. The fact of the matter is, that not unlike the Flu, most otherwise healthy people exposed to this virus will suffer little more than a few days adverse symptoms. I’ll be flying Wed - maybe I’ll get a whole row to myself due to all the unwarranted panic.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:35 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
As a professional chauffeur in the SF Bay Area, the coronavirus is "killing" business. Facebook has cancelled two conferences, and postponed a third; Google has cancelled A MAJOR conference (Google I/O 2020), and postponed another; IBM has postponed a conference; and, today, just found out Google cancelled their 2-day Yosemite trip that was scheduled to take place next week.

The company I drive for has the event driving contracts for all these events, plus others. It's things like this that have "side effects" for other industries. From what I understand, after 9/11, most of the local limousine companies went belly-up, and the company I work for was one of the few that survived. On the 'plus' side (if one can truly consider this a "plus"), it looks like I'll now be able to make it to all 3 days of Scale Nationals (originally, I was only going to make it for the final day, as I'm competing in Class 3).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Just as the media intended.

Turn the Boob tube off!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Just as the media intended.

Turn the Boob tube off!
Turning a TV off doesn't stop the truth. You sound like Trump, or a Trump-supporter. Quit believing what that ignorant piece of crap is shoveling, and use your own brain.

Multiple industries, from transportation & travel, to banking & Wall Street, ARE being affected by this situation...THAT IS REALITY. The "media" didn't create these statistics...reality is CAUSING these statistics. I'm not trying to turn this thread into something political, but, to use another example, when Trump started imposing tariffs, he (falsely) claimed it would help to bolster the U.S. economy, and would boost/create jobs. The reality is that it caused countless U.S. businesses to go out of business.

Now, I'm NOT trying to compare those tariffs, to the coronavirus...but, in regards to jobs, both situations have the same potential to cause businesses to go out of business. Again, that's the reality of the matter, like it, or not.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

^ You are the medias target audience, and it's clearly working.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

OOOOOO he said the T word

Here in my little place i am pondering the speed of the thing, barely a week ago we had 1-3 cases, now we have 157 and 50 or so hospitalized, and around 800 in voluntary isolation at home for 2 weeks.
And days ago the ruling elite said as much as 180.000 Danes could catch this bug,,,,,,, which seem a large number to me looking at the global number of infected people.

TBH if 180.000 Danes not only got this, but was also killed by it, that would give the survivors a chance to fix some of the inherent problems we have with our society.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Enough with the hand wringing and hysterics. The fact of the matter is, that not unlike the Flu, most otherwise healthy people exposed to this virus will suffer little more than a few days adverse symptoms.
The panic is worse than the virus. People need to get a grip.

I'm not changing a damn thing. I refuse to give into the media induced panic. 2/3 of my local news last night was spent on it, making it sound like the Stand and Captain Trips was happening out there....Way over the top, and is there no other news?

Went to the gym and sweated all over everything yesterday for about 2 hours, along with about 50 other people. And going again today. Washing my hands and wiping everything down like I normally do - good hygiene is still good hygiene. If I get sick, I get sick. Sounds like it's no different from the 5 other colds the kids brought home from school so far this year.
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
PANIC?!?

Its the END OF DAYS!!!

Now that the toilet paper and hand sanitizer is sold out, I am stocking up on toothbrushes and condoms!!!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Though there's no reason to panic more than necessary, there is to take more precaution than with flu for just a simple reason ... nobody is vaccined against the covid, hence it's exponential spread.

Sure if you're young and healthy you're not at risk of severe complications, you may most likely not even notice you're infected, but once infected you become a risk for those who aren't as young and/or healthy like you ... no matter how often you wash your hands (which only reduces the risk of being infected, but doesn't prevent it) ...
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:52 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Turning a TV off doesn't stop the truth. You sound like Trump, or a Trump-supporter. Quit believing what that ignorant piece of crap is shoveling, and use your own brain.

Sorry but the above conflicts with the below, and vise versa.

How the hell people turn EVERYTHING partisan is beyond me. You have to be a special kind of stupid. I deal with people every day from all walks of life with different opinions and beliefs and most agree this whole thing is HYSTERIA perpetuated by the media.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #35

Quote:
I couldn't have said it better myself!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
How the hell people turn EVERYTHING partisan is beyond me. You have to be a special kind of stupid. I deal with people every day from all walks of life with different opinions and beliefs and most agree this whole thing is HYSTERIA perpetuated by the media.
I could not agree more. How the hell does even this become a partisan issue?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
my girlfriend is a nurse, and laughs at people wearing N95 masks that have not been fitted properly.

People are panic buying so bad right now. Hospitals are having a hard time getting hand sanitizer.

Ya the masks are laughable due to the inadequate filtration level and they are not being replaced every so many hours as would be required for proper efficacy.

Hand sanitizer contains several carcinogens and stinks, I'll pass...just wash your hands.

Quote:
At work I see adults go to the bathroom and leave without washing their hands. It's absolutely ridiculous and disgusting. It's insane that restaurants need to have signs on their bathroom doors notifying their staff that hands must be washed before returning to work.

This is the job of parents. And it goes back to my theory that the biggest problem in this world is terrible or nonexistent parents.

X10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
...What I don't understand, is the request came out asking people not to horde these 2 items. Don't hospitals, like retail stores get their shipments from the manufacturer or distributors? Why would a hospital go to the corner drugstore to get their masks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
My work (IT support for a large company with thousands of locations in 3 countries and hundreds of thousands of employees) has already prepped us for working from home if needed.

Maybe I can get some more of my crawler builds completed in between calls?

In for the chance!!!

Quote:

One of my favorite bumper stickers that I don't see around anymore is, "Kill your television" the source of a lot of bs, guess the internet has taken over much of that responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

I'm not changing a damn thing. I refuse to give into the media induced panic. 2/3 of my local news last night was spent on it, making it sound like the Stand and Captain Trips was happening out there....Way over the top, and is there no other news?

Went to the gym and sweated all over everything yesterday for about 2 hours, along with about 50 other people. And going again today. Washing my hands and wiping everything down like I normally do - good hygiene is still good hygiene. If I get sick, I get sick. Sounds like it's no different from the 5 other colds the kids brought home from school so far this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
Though there's no reason to panic more than necessary, there is to take more precaution than with flu for just a simple reason ... nobody is vaccined against the covid, hence it's exponential spread.

Sure if you're young and healthy you're not at risk of severe complications, you may most likely not even notice you're infected, but once infected you become a risk for those who aren't as young and/or healthy like you ... no matter how often you wash your hands (which only reduces the risk of being infected, but doesn't prevent it) ...

The several years back when I got flu vaccines, I got much sicker those winters than when I didn't, no flu vaccines for us thanks!!!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #38
Gold Star Baby!

At the end of the day this is just a bunch of people yelling talking points at each other. No one is going to change anyone’s opinion about it, and no one really knows what’s going on right now anyway so why try. There are better F’s to give y’all.

Just be prepared and take care of yourselves, try to put you and your family in the best situation you can, in case things do get bad, and then hope for the best and ride it out. Play toy trucks in the meantime.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong. I agree with you, and others, that the media is 'driving' this panic, much in the same way they did work the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (in truth, out of over 5 million handsets manufactured, only 37 units were proven to be defective)...but, as an individual, in regards to the coronavirus, I'm NOT "panicking"...so, no, the media thing is NOT working on me. Personally, I'm NOT worried.

However, you, and others reading what I've said, are, obviously, not getting what I've been saying. OTHERS are panicking, to the point that it's affecting various industries. Tech companies around the world are 'panicking', to the point that they're cancelling conferences. Businesses, in general, are 'panicking', to the point that they're telling employees to work from home. People are are 'panicking', to the point that they're cancelling trips (not just overseas, but even to other cities within their own state). Federal, states, and even local governments, are 'panicking', to the point that they're closing schools, and placing temporary ordinances preventing large groups from gathering.

Again, I'm in agreement with you that the media is"driving" this 'panic'. But, the point I'm trying to get you, and others, to comprehend is that, whether media-driven, or whether it's something to truly worry about (which I don't think it is), this IS having a REAL-WORLD effect on other industries. Just as the Note 7 matter got blown WAY out of proportion by the media, causing Samsung to recall & cancel the Note 7, the media has blown the coronavirus matter WAY out of proportion...except that, this time, because of what the media has been doing, this has already caused major loses in various industries (just using the company I work for as one example, we've already lost a few hundred-thousand dollars worth of business), and could lead to businesses going out of business.

Think of it like this: snowball effect, or coming effect. Once the media started the ball rolling, or topping the dominos, it builds up speed, and stopping it becomes all but impossible, until it's gotta its final conclusion. Yes, the media started it...but, it's already too far into its progression to stop it. Now, real-world consequences are starting to take place.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong. I agree with you, and others, that the media is 'driving' this panic, much in the same way they did work the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (in truth, out of over 5 million handsets manufactured, only 37 units were proven to be defective)...but, as an individual, in regards to the coronavirus, I'm NOT "panicking"...so, no, the media thing is NOT working on me. Personally, I'm NOT worried.

However, you, and others reading what I've said, are, obviously, not getting what I've been saying. OTHERS are panicking, to the point that it's affecting various industries. Tech companies around the world are 'panicking', to the point that they're cancelling conferences. Businesses, in general, are 'panicking', to the point that they're telling employees to work from home. People are are 'panicking', to the point that they're cancelling trips (not just overseas, but even to other cities within their own state). Federal, states, and even local governments, are 'panicking', to the point that they're closing schools, and placing temporary ordinances preventing large groups from gathering.

Again, I'm in agreement with you that the media is"driving" this 'panic'. But, the point I'm trying to get you, and others, to comprehend is that, whether media-driven, or whether it's something to truly worry about (which I don't think it is), this IS having a REAL-WORLD effect on other industries. Just as the Note 7 matter got blown WAY out of proportion by the media, causing Samsung to recall & cancel the Note 7, the media has blown the coronavirus matter WAY out of proportion...except that, this time, because of what the media has been doing, this has already caused major loses in various industries (just using the company I work for as one example, we've already lost a few hundred-thousand dollars worth of business), and could lead to businesses going out of business.

Think of it like this: snowball effect, or coming effect. Once the media started the ball rolling, or topping the dominos, it builds up speed, and stopping it becomes all but impossible, until it's gotta its final conclusion. Yes, the media started it...but, it's already too far into its progression to stop it. Now, real-world consequences are starting to take place.

You are correct, the media beats these dead horses to push agendas, like killing the economy before an election, that's what's going on here.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote