Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Why I don't do aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Why I don't do aircraft

One of the common questions I get when people find out I am into RC is if I build/fly aircraft. My response is fairly constant, in that I do enough damage at 4mph on the ground, I really don't need to go airborne.

Here is a great illustration of what I mean. I think if I would have to have a week-long pity party before I started in on the next build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGALJBPlXxM
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Why I don't do aircraft

Needs little tiny investigators to come out and sift through the wreckage. That's what he gets for flying with socks and sandals on
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Having flown RCh helos, I completely understand. I spent so much time, and money, on repairing those helicopters. What "did it in" did me was one time, I was hovering at approx 4ft, completely calm, when a huge gust of wind came out of nowhere, blowing it over, to which it smashed into the ground. For the most part, it was undamaged...but, multiple gears has stripped teeth. The cost on that repair was minimal, but the time disassembling & reassembling was what I hated the most.

That's why I sold everything, and switched to drones (which I've since mostly sold, having only my Yuneec Typhoon H remaining...which I'm now selling). Now, I'm even tired of drones (thus why I'm telling the TH), and prefer to stick to the ground & water.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yep. Exact reason I stay on dry land, not even in water. If I had a boat, my luck it would either die far from shore or a huge 30ft wave would eat it alive. Lol.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Damage from a wreck is the single only reason why I haven't bothered getting into aerial RC in my 40+ years. Yes I want to experience Helis planes and drones, But I'm not looking to spend all my time doing repairs. I like to build,tinker and run, but general repairs get old fast when you keep doing the same thing.
Sometimes I start to consider a basic flyer or even a smarter drone (I'd love to try FPV racing) then I'll see crash videos And think of all the other stuff I could do with the money lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I like the real consequences of flying helis, that's what keeps me drawn to them. Every little mistake costs money and/or time.

To be honest, I find cleaning my tiny truck every bloody run even more hassle then fixing a crashed heli. Yes, every run is deep water, mud, sand, etc.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I can fly into trees easily enough with my Stampede and E-Revo, I don’t need the same problems with things that are actually intended to fly too
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:33 PM   #8

I built a plane once.
Flew it once.
Tried to fly it half a dozen times but the only places large enough nearby usually had too many people to be able to fly it.

Trucks are much easier to run.
dugans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:06 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

"....scratch-built U-2 RC model ...."

What you saw really isn't typical of the hobby. The internet is full of click bait RC crashes. Usually they involve people with more money than skills or in this case, lack of structural design skills (sorry but a wing the just simple folds with straight and level flight is just not designed well)

The stuff you can get from the major brands is actually pretty amazing.....specially for the price. There are even planes that can literally land them self if you need them to (they use GPS coordinates you preset at the two ends of the runway before you take off). I wouldn't be afraid of RC planes if you want to give it a shot. Research the Apprentice from Horizon. I actual saw a 90 year old Vietnam vet (he actually had to sit down on a chair to fly) fly my friend's Gen 1 Apprentice for about 15 minutes one day and he never once got it into trouble. He never flew an RC in his life. Not sure what I enjoyed more, watching the plane or the wonderful expression on his face as he flew....

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...e/EFL3750.html
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
I wouldn't be afraid of RC planes if you want to give it a shot
If they'd make a micro as small as their indoor helis, I'd be all over getting into that.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:49 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
If they'd make a micro as small as their indoor helis, I'd be all over getting into that.
They do...

Look at Horizon Hobbies UMX line, everything from super slow indoor flyers, gliders, Twins, STOL, ect...

I fly and build Rc planes, foamboard is $1 and I can build a whole airframe from 1 sheet. I love to build, and experiment so this is a super media to work with. Super easy to work with and quick to build. Crashes imo don't matter, the electronics usually survive unscathed...

I do own some Kits, and bnf's (bind and fly) I take a bit more care when I fly them and crashes hurt a bit more, but happen very rarely now that I have enough practice flying. Flying is definately challenging, but a fun and addicting challenge.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 01-02-2021 at 08:05 AM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
They do...

Look at Horizon Hobbies UMX line, everything from super slow indoor flyers, gliders, Twins, STOL, ect...
I've seen those, still 3 times the size as the micro helis.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Oh...i did the plane thing several times during my life, helis just once, drones i still have 3 or 4 around, boats i have owned 3, but my main hobby has always been cars, ever since that 1979 sears catalogue showed me an rc van (i was 11), and then bought my first hornet, hilux and ultima i have never ever been "without" an rc car, i still have that og hornet and hilux, that kyosho ultima got stolen, i have 36 rc cars, crawlers,scale, rally, monster, etc...from tamiya, traxxas, even a lynx, cars are so much easier to work on and you can drive them anytime and almost anywhere.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Why I don’t do aircraft.🤔

Gravity.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Why I don’t do aircraft.

Gravity.
Hate to tell ya this, but that affects EVERYTHING...lol

Old 01-04-2021, 01:23 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

As most other aircraft naysayers, i have too dabbled with the air element and failed each and every time i flew any Quadcopter, drone, or trainer cub cadet airplane and gravity was always at fault!
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:41 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I'll be honest. With planes & helicopters, I understand (remember, I DID fly RC helis for a few years)...but, with drones, I don't get it, as they practically fly themselves. As long as you keep them away from trees (something even I'm guilty for having flown through...which, thankfully, it came out the other side visually unscathed), don't fly them so far away that the battery dies before you get it back to it's takeoff location, and fly them as they have been designed to fly, you shouldn't have any problems. I've even flown in wind speeds around 20-25mph, and never had any problems (as most quality drones have built-in gyros to compensate).

Of course, in saying that, I'm NOT referring to racing drones...I'm referring to your typical recreational drone, such as those made by Yuneec, DJI, Parrot, Autel, Hubsan, etc. Besides, a few of these drones truly DO fly themselves, as your input real "control x is in 'takeoff', 'landing', and 'setting a distance' that it follows you by...from that point, it just follows you (at the distance & height you've set it to), using it's own "obstacle avoidance system" to navigate around objects (some of which are better than others).

The primary reason I sold off my other drones was I wasn't really using them, and I needed the money. As for the Typhoon H (my last drone), the reason I'm selling it is because I no longer have the time (primarily due to all my other RC interests, plus my motorcycle), plus I've gotten bored with them (again, due to my other RC interests).

Why I don't do aircraft - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many here fly Rc Aircraft? What do you have... lonleycreeper Chit Chat 7 01-16-2018 02:33 PM
RC aircraft forums zjguy721 Non Crawler RC's 3 03-15-2014 04:24 PM
Aircraft Enthusiasts 4VRYNG Chit Chat 12 03-06-2010 07:47 PM
Military Aircraft CreepyCrawl Chit Chat 41 10-28-2009 07:58 PM
Awesome RC aircraft Tonsa Chit Chat 4 07-08-2006 11:03 PM