RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Coronavirus - Covid-19 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/616208-coronavirus-covid-19-a.html)

wings_of_fire 03-08-2020 01:35 AM

Coronavirus - Covid-19

There seems to be some misinformation circulating on the internet regarding the size of covid-19 virus.
Some claim 0.1 to 0.2 microns and some claim it to be 400 to 500 microns.

Common sense says 400 to 500 microns is a huge size for any virus and is likely to be wrong.

Anybody knows the right size bracket for covid-19?

JacktheRipper 03-08-2020 06:15 AM

Re: Coronavirus - Covid-19

Stay right there, I'll check it with my mic and get back .

Greatscott 03-08-2020 08:44 AM

1. The coronavirus does not come from Corona beer.
2. Limes will not make you better.
3. Any 'beer' that requires fruit to make it palatable is not beer.
4. Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, avoid contact with your nose until after you wash your hands
5. 98-99% of the people who get the coronavirus will recover

JatoTheRipper 03-08-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatscott (Post 6003151)
1. The coronavirus does not come from Corona beer.

I'm not convinced this is true. That beer is so terrible that I believe it caused the pandemic!

BUBBA069 03-08-2020 09:59 AM

my girlfriend is a nurse, and laughs at people wearing N95 masks that have not been fitted properly.

People are panic buying so bad right now. Hospitals are having a hard time getting hand sanitizer.

MaX-D 03-08-2020 11:07 AM

What I don't understand is, why haven't people been washing their hands up until now. Nasty humans.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

high plains drifter 03-08-2020 11:17 AM

Shortly after I retired, I decided to go back to work... in retail. Holy shit people are absolute pigs! My concerns are related to economy/ recession but I've had that concern since before this virus ever popped up. Interesting times.

wings_of_fire 03-08-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBA069 (Post 6003160)
my girlfriend is a nurse, and laughs at people wearing N95 masks that have not been fitted properly.

People are panic buying so bad right now. Hospitals are having a hard time getting hand sanitizer.

That's true. N95 mask is useless due to the air gaps it leaves between the skin and itself. We are talking about a virus I believe that is somewhere around 1 micron insize. Other than that the biggest wtf is that it is clear that it can infect through a persons eyes which nullifies the usefulness of any respiratory mask. Its stupidity and risking ones life.

wings_of_fire 03-08-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatscott (Post 6003151)
5. 98-99% of the people who get the coronavirus will recover

I don't believe it, but it sure as hell keeps the economy stable which is walking on a string.

JatoTheRipper 03-08-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaX-D (Post 6003172)
What I don't understand is, why haven't people been washing their hands up until now. Nasty humans.

At work I see adults go to the bathroom and leave without washing their hands. It's absolutely ridiculous and disgusting. It's insane that restaurants need to have signs on their bathroom doors notifying their staff that hands must be washed before returning to work.

This is the job of parents. And it goes back to my theory that the biggest problem in this world is terrible or nonexistent parents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wings_of_fire (Post 6003181)
I don't believe it, but it sure as hell keeps the economy stable which is walking on a string.

You should believe it. Look at the statistics I posted below. Also, lots of respected doctors will flat out say the flu is a bigger concern.

Infections
COVID-19: Approximately 107,644 cases worldwide; 437 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 3,653 deaths reported worldwide; 17 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Source: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

tuxstang 03-08-2020 02:31 PM

Ain't apples vs oranges ... covid is new and still on its beginning, nobody knows how long it'll be a concern, while flu is seasonal and on its end. Plus statistics on the first running occurence are meaningless. Also unless you're coming from/are in an exposed place, in most countries minor infections are not tested and mostly diagnosed as flu.

Mike Flea 03-08-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 6003155)
I'm not convinced this is true. That beer is so terrible that I believe it caused the pandemic!

To each his own, I happen to like Corona, not with a lime. The nastiest beer that comes out of Mexico is Tecate, that, a lime is required

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBA069 (Post 6003160)

I agree, hand sanitizer and masks. What I don't understand, is the request came out asking people not to horde these 2 items. Don't hospitals, like retail stores get their shipments from the manufacturer or distributors? Why would a hospital go to the corner drugstore to get their masks?

high plains drifter 03-08-2020 04:18 PM

Regarding the masks as well as some other items.. it relates to the manufacturing end of things, not where hospitals actually buy their supplies. Prediction is that with public stockpiling plus the potential for production and transport delays ( workers being sent home or sick) that hospitals may not be able to keep up with demand.

durok 03-08-2020 04:23 PM

My work (IT support for a large company with thousands of locations in 3 countries and hundreds of thousands of employees) has already prepped us for working from home if needed.

Maybe I can get some more of my crawler builds completed in between calls?

JatoTheRipper 03-08-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxstang (Post 6003220)
Ain't apples vs oranges ... covid is new and still on its beginning, nobody knows how long it'll be a concern, while flu is seasonal and on its end. Plus statistics on the first running occurence are meaningless. Also unless you're coming from/are in an exposed place, in most countries minor infections are not tested and mostly diagnosed as flu.

Disease vs disease and neither tends to kill healthy people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Flea (Post 6003243)
To each his own, I happen to like Corona, not with a lime. The nastiest beer that comes out of Mexico is Tecate, that, a lime is required

:lmao: That's for sure! I've never tried Tecate.

crunky 03-08-2020 05:09 PM

I'm still waiting to have the world implode from 1999 vs the 2K thingy...
In fact, I'm still partying like it's 1999.

high plains drifter 03-08-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 6003248)

Maybe I can get some more of my crawler builds completed in between calls?

That's amateur talk! Surely you can get at least TWO completed while ON the phone!

Was insane to see sxsw shut down... first time ever I think. Stay well, durok. If you get stir crazy, come down here and we'll go crawling!

durok 03-08-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by high plains drifter (Post 6003262)
That's amateur talk! Surely you can get at least TWO completed while ON the phone!

Was insane to see sxsw shut down... first time ever I think. Stay well, durok. If you get stir crazy, come down here and we'll go crawling!

Yeah, losing SXSW is gonna cost the city and its residents some serious income - quote below:

"Last year, the festival brought in an estimated $356 million"

No insurance for this type of cancellation - if it were for almost any other reason the organisers would have been covered - first time it's been cancelled in its 34 year history.

As for me completing or upgrading my crawlers, I am a world-class procrastinator and have had no trouble living up to that title in the past... ;-)

ROWDY RACING 03-09-2020 07:32 AM

Fear mongering bullshit.

JatoTheRipper 03-09-2020 10:03 AM

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a2&oe=5E917070