Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: New future body, or just talk about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #21
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: New future body, or just talk about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
My thanks to the "Likers". No way around it, looks are entirely subjective thing. The newer design does seem to be love / hate. I dig the look of my rig overall - of the grill options available on different trim levels, I like mine best by a long shot.
Yours looks great! The black grill helps the look a lot IMO. Surely it is a solid truck as well.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Yours looks great! The black grill helps the look a lot IMO. Surely it is a solid truck as well.
Thanks Topher. 100% agree on the black grill. In terms of performance, comfort features, drive-ability, it tics all the boxes for me.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
GM sales are tanking, in part, because the buying public
knows that Japanese vehicles are better.
fixed it for ya!

the big 2 1/2 finally gave up with trying to make cars that can go head to head with the Asian counterparts because they simply couldn't do it, sad to say.

The full size truck/SUV market is still strong for US based companies
(somehow people will bury themselves in $50K + of debt for a new one) but the mid-size trucks/SUV market- Toyota is still the gold standard. The new Ranger might give the Tacoma something to worry about if the ferd 10 speed automatic doesn't self destruct, but thats' going to take a few years for it to be know for certain if it's a solid design or another ticking time bomb of a "better idea".
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Actual photo taken from GM truck designers desk while coming up with fender designs.

Sorry GM guys. I can't get past the round tires in a square hole.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I appreciate that Chevy actually gives a nod to the old square bodies. And I disliked the new front but mewalsh pulled it off, and I agree with him different trims have subtle tweaks to the grill that either work or don't. Ford has the same thing going on with the weird unibrow thing. I have an stx model with the sport grill, its just a big honeycomb grill almost like the raptor minus the big FORD letters. Very clean and I'm glad I got that instead of the unibrow.
(Just take a sec and Google "2019 f150 xlt" then replace xlt with stx)

Now as for the bronco... VERY NICE!!!
my co-worker who is a die-hard GM guy drives a 2018 Silverado and his wife has I think a 2016 Denali... I came in to work this morning hes like hey dude I think I'm getting rid of my truck... Shows me his monitor and its the samme leaked pic of the bronco.
Haha i couldnt even make fun of him for changing brand loyalty just like that haha
But yeah I think ford is on a friggin roll... I had doubts when they announced giving most of thier cars the axe including the fusion but man... This bronco is looking great.
Then again that mach-e thing... I dunno about that one.

Last edited by Shinchu; 03-10-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I’m sorry if I come off negativity toward anyone who owns the new body style.

As I said, I’m a life long Chevy owner. My Dad and my Grandfathers all owned Chevys and it just irritates me to see the direction those in charge of Chevy are now taking the brand.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:14 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

This is what most matters to me:

New Compact Ford Pickup Will Start Under $20,000: Report

https://jalopnik.com/new-compact-for...por-1842219589

Please let this really happen...
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
This is what most matters to me:

New Compact Ford Pickup Will Start Under $20,000: Report

https://jalopnik.com/new-compact-for...por-1842219589

Please let this really happen...
An affordable truck. What a concept.

I hope it’s a smash hit and the other manufacturers follow suit.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:46 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Shinchu. There is no doubt that affordability needs to come back to truck platforms across brands. In all honesty, when I was shopping for my truck, my intent was to buy a gently used F-150. My buddy has one that I’ve driven, road tripped in and genuinely like. I looked around within a 150 mile radius from my home. Absolutely shocked at what dealers and private owners expected to get for 2, 3 year old models with anywhere from 30-45k on the odometer. Out of frustration, I started looking at Mid Size pickups. The Colorado, Ranger, and yes, even a Taco. The Colorado and the Ranger I looked at new, the Taco I looked at pre-owned and new. Sticker shock again, and what’s crazy is they get scantly better mileage than a full size truck and you sacrifice a lot of bed space and interior room. Anyway, on a whim, I swung by our local Chevy dealer. Saw a couple different versions of the 1500’s, including the Trail Boss. Ended up speaking with a nice, younger guy at the dealership that really knew his stuff. When I let him know my frustration regarding pricing on trucks, he seemed more than confident that he could surprise me. Long story short, I got a brand new, fully warranted, full size, V8 truck tax, titled and OTD for a phenomenal price. So much so that it made zero sense to even consider pre-owned any longer.

BTW - you wanna get yourself a real good case of sticker shock - go price out a Toyota Tundra TRD. Even worse, go try and haggle with a Toyota dealer on one.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
fixed it for ya!

the big 2 1/2 finally gave up with trying to make cars that can go head to head with the Asian counterparts because they simply couldn't do it, sad to say.

(somehow people will bury themselves in $50K + of debt for a new one) but the mid-size trucks/SUV market- Toyota is still the gold standard. The new Ranger might give the Tacoma something to worry about if the ferd 10 speed automatic doesn't self destruct, but thats' going to take a few years for it to be know for certain if it's a solid design or another ticking time bomb of a "better idea".
Like I said, some people just regurgitate things.

Toyota has pros and cons like any brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
Actual photo taken from GM truck designers desk while coming up with fender designs.

Sorry GM guys. I can't get past the round tires in a square hole.
That's nothing new. Chevy has been doing that for a long time (since 1973 I believe) and it's become a sort of trademark for Chevy trucks. I personally like it. BTW that was changed for 2019. Chevy has round wheel wells again.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/01...lls-went-away/

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-11-2020 at 06:28 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
the mid-size trucks/SUV market- Toyota is still the gold standard. The new Ranger might give the Tacoma something to worry about if the ferd 10 speed automatic doesn't self destruct, but thats' going to take a few years for it to be know for certain if it's a solid design or another ticking time bomb of a "better idea".
Unlikely as the trends appear to be the Ranger is just taking the ground lost by GM and Nissan in midsized trucks. Toyota sold nearly as many Tacomas as Colorados, Canyons, Rangers, and Gladiators combined in 2019 (which was an increase over 2018 when 2 of those competitors weren't yet on the market).

Maybe Ford will give the Ranger the Raptor treatment soon to piggyback on the expected success of the Bronco.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Unlikely as the trends appear to be the Ranger is just taking the ground lost by GM and Nissan in midsized trucks. Toyota sold nearly as many Tacomas as Colorados, Canyons, Rangers, and Gladiators combined in 2019 (which was an increase over 2018 when 2 of those competitors weren't yet on the market).

Maybe Ford will give the Ranger the Raptor treatment soon to piggyback on the expected success of the Bronco.
I read the Tacoma sales increased 1.3% in 2019. It's easy to see why it's selling well. It's the best looking mid-size truck by far and its reliability is legendary. The Colorado is fugly in comparison. The same goes for the new Ranger. The Canyon is much nicer looking, but GMC's just don't sell much. Based on looks, I'd surely choose the Tacoma if I was buying a mid-size truck. I actually almost bought a Tacoma a couple years back until I priced it out. The color I wanted was only available on the top model and nearing $50,000 for a mid-sized truck just isn't something I am willing to do.

The Tundra can't match the Tacoma's reliability and I think that's a big part of the reason it's lagging behind.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-11-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Trucks across the board are all expensive, gone are the days where you could build it your way and get just what you needed and wanted for a decent price. Trucks and SUVs are where it's at and the bottom line is until people stop buying them the price is gonna keep climbing little by little. On a side note I saw a Ram regular cab short bed today and it just looked funny, when I was a kid that configuration was king and extended cab or crew cabs looked odd lol, how times have changed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Trucks across the board are all expensive, gone are the days where you could build it your way and get just what you needed and wanted for a decent price. Trucks and SUVs are where it's at and the bottom line is until people stop buying them the price is gonna keep climbing little by little. On a side note I saw a Ram regular cab short bed today and it just looked funny, when I was a kid that configuration was king and extended cab or crew cabs looked odd lol, how times have changed.

Trucks are expensive - true story! But when a midsize is nearly the price of a full-size I'm going to move up a size.

Although I have to say back in the day my S10 wasn't much cheaper than a full-size Silverado. Disposable income was much larger for most people though.

Regular cabs still look best with short or long bed IMO. There's been some rumblings that the demand for those is increasing. Fingers crossed!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31401/...-demand-report
Old 03-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I totally agree kincer. Short bed standard cab was the order of the day, and extra cabs / crew cabs looked funky. Complete 180 these days.

BTW - the first truck I ever owned was a ‘65 Ford F100 Custom. My Dad came home one day to find me with a cherry picker and the whole front end off. Shocked, he asked “what the hell are ya doin?” I advised him I was making it more “reliable”. He saw that bullshit a mile away and laughed. Ended up dropping in a re-worked 289, 302 heads that were “breathed on”, a “mild” cam, 650 holley carb, Edelbrock intake, headers, exhaust, etc. Just to ensure the drivetrain was also “reliable”, I dropped in a Hurst 4 speed with a 3:90 Posi rear end. Good times and great camaraderie with all my buds that were also building “reliable” cars......errrrr....ummmmmm hot rods. Lmao!
Old 03-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
On a side note I saw a Ram regular cab short bed today and it just looked funny, when I was a kid that configuration was king and extended cab or crew cabs looked odd lol, how times have changed.
Had a similar feeling with a relatively new F150 that actually had a single cab and 8 ft bed, I stared at it for a few minutes in confusion and disbelief.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #37

same here. There are a couple standard cab short bed Silverados floating around town, and they just look dumb. In the 80s, that was the best looking model.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #38

Interesting. I guess my taste never changed. Standard cab FTW!
Old 03-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
GM sales are tanking, in part, because the brain dead public thinks and regurgitates that Japanese vehicles are better.
Quote:
fixed it for ya!

Quote:
Like I said, some people just regurgitate things.

Toyota has pros and cons like any brand.
Quote:
I read the Tacoma sales increased 1.3% in 2019. It's easy to see why it's selling well. It's the best looking mid-size truck by far and its reliability is legendary. The Colorado is fugly in comparison. The same goes for the new Ranger. The Canyon is much nicer looking, but GMC's just don't sell much. Based on looks, I'd surely choose the Tacoma if I was buying a mid-size truck. I actually almost bought a Tacoma a couple years back until I priced it out. The color I wanted was only available on the top model and nearing $50,000 for a mid-sized truck just isn't something I am willing to do.

The Tundra can't match the Tacoma's reliability and I think that's a big part of the reason it's lagging behind.
So which one is it for you? If someone thinks that a Toyota is a better vehicle, they're brain dead ( according to you ) but then you say how a Taco has legendary reliability ( not to mention re-sale value, as anyone whos shopped for a used Taco has found out). You can't seem to stay on one side of an opinion long enough to even have an opinion.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #40

Quote:
So which one is it for you? If someone thinks that a Toyota is a better vehicle, they're brain dead ( according to you ) but then you say how a Taco has legendary reliability ( not to mention re-sale value, as anyone whos shopped for a used Taco has found out). You can't seem to stay on one side of an opinion long enough to even have an opinion.
Opinions don't have to be all or nothing so I'm not sure why you think that they do. I'm not taking sides. I like both American and Japanese vehicles. I don't have to choose one side and stay there.

I said Toyota has pros and cons. The reliability is a pro for sure. The higher price and rust issues are cons. American vehicles also have pros and cons.

When I said "brain dead" I meant those that simply regurgitate "Toyota is better" or "Japanese cars are better than American vehicles" without having their own reasons for saying these statements. Lots of those people exist. If you don't believe me just ask around.

New future body, or just talk about it. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looky here ... New future body Frank211 Chit Chat 18 11-30-2018 09:24 AM
school talk and job talk Logan0987 Chit Chat 24 07-06-2014 01:14 PM
Future scale build....body has been chosen wrightcs77 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 09-25-2008 06:08 PM
future tlt body (pics) brendan h Tamiya TLT Crawlers 24 10-10-2005 03:51 PM