Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Time to reduce Chinese product purchasing, folks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #21

Default Re: Time to reduce Chinese product purchasing, folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
As I said earlier, Unions were needed back when they were created, but just like anything else they abused their power over the years, I was union for 30 years and was fed up with carrying the deadbeats getting paid the same wage as me for not doing a thing basically, management would try to penalize and sometimes even try to fire these deadbeats, they were given time off without pay pending dismissal blah blah blah but in the end they'd get paid for staying home and the company had their hands tied. When I started there were a lot of good old timers that did their jobs and very few slugs but as time went on and new people were hired the tide turned and there were very few of us left that did our jobs and cared, the slugs saw that that they could get away with doing nothing and did nothing. Maybe I shouldn't have labeled it corporate greed more like just greed in general. My new job is in a non union family owned shop and I don't make the money that I did but with my early pension I make about the same combined and I get treated way better and they don't put up with slackers, they fired a guy right after I started, I already got a raise but I do my job. We as a country can do it we just need to work together.

That's the childish, gang mentality of unions. Brothers first and you stick together under any circumstances. And it's a bully mentality too. Snitches get stitches.

I agree that unions were needed 30+ years ago, but they sure aren't need now. Like you said, they now abuse their power. They offer little too hard workers. They're all about greed and power.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #22
Custom Carbon Fiber

Unions served their purpose, they are long over do for an awakening. Just look at what GM employees got out of their strike. Anyone who thinks that doesnt trickle down to an increase to the consumer or loss of jobs is blind.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I buy from china all the time and cant see that changing being Canadian the US exchange rate is a joke nevermind outragous shipping costs ill spend my hard earned cash ordering from rcmart where shipping is as fast as from the states and my money is worth something.
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
I buy from china all the time and cant see that changing being Canadian the US exchange rate is a joke nevermind outragous shipping costs ill spend my hard earned cash ordering from rcmart where shipping is as fast as from the states and my money is worth something.

I remember 10 years ago, the tables were just the opposite, your loonies destroyed our dollars, so many of you came down here and purchased property, and acted snooty for the six months spent, Now, no upkeep, always complain about that exchange rate....... Nope not you or my fault, we just pay the prices. Supply is more important to me vs price if equal value

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

I would LOVE to see NOTHING made in China. It won't happen. But damn, I'd love to see that. I &$&#ing hate the Chinese concept of "honor" - bullshlt. They have none. They'll steal and copy from any person or company. They simply don't care about intellectual property. Oh, or human/workers' rights. But, that's a whole other topic.

This is not a Rolls Royce. It's an Geely GE - a Chinese copy. If they're doing it at this scale, they're doing it everywhere.

Maybe in 50 years? Over time, we'll see more and more outsourced manufacturing going to Vietnam, Malaysia, Costa Rica. Can't happen fast enough.
No2Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Mud View Post
I would LOVE to see NOTHING made in China. It won't happen. But damn, I'd love to see that. I &$&#ing hate the Chinese concept of "honor" - bullshlt. They have none. They'll steal and copy from any person or company. They simply don't care about intellectual property. Oh, or human/workers' rights. But, that's a whole other topic.

This is not a Rolls Royce. It's an Geely GE - a Chinese copy. If they're doing it at this scale, they're doing it everywhere.

Maybe in 50 years? Over time, we'll see more and more outsourced manufacturing going to Vietnam, Malaysia, Costa Rica. Can't happen fast enough.

While you are absolutely right about China copying everything. Part of their government oppressing people instead of letting them be creative. But please do your own homework and do it right. Your pic is a genuine 2015 Rolls Royce Phantom VII. British? Not so much, as RR's parent company is BMW.... I fixed it for you. The difference - luckily - is obvious.

Name:  RR_Geely.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  94.0 KB

Last edited by fxman; 04-16-2020 at 07:37 PM.
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:39 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
get on board with MAGA and other initiatives designed to bring wealth back.

That's funny. If you think for one minute Comrade Trump cares about you or me your just kidding yourself. He is only interested in himself and

making his rich corporate friends even richer.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Isn’t the unites states just one giant Union tho?

There is a lot of reasons why things went overseas and it’s less to do with an employees pay then most people think . It’s become a carrot . Just like abortion gun control racism and religion .

It’s funny to try and get an employee heath ins in America and pay one what America calls a living wage and pay the unemployment ins and liability ins that comes with one employee. To offer one a phone to not have to use his personal device and a vehicle and gas cause he/she shouldn’t have to there personal vehicle . It gets expensive quick .

Then starts the issue of property.. it’s maintenance. More ins and liability and costs ..

Outsourced labor and goods is really cheaper for far more reasons then just unions and pay .

I agree you should support companies that are trying to build local but you will be hard pressed to for sooooo many reasons .

Maybe it’s just New York tho . Everything is expensive in ny
iplaywithrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
That's funny. If you think for one minute Comrade Trump cares about you or me your just kidding yourself. He is only interested in himself and

making his rich corporate friends even richer.

I know MAGA is associated with Trump, but I didn't take his comment as pro Trump. I took it as meaning start putting America first and making it great again. But I could be wrong.

Trump doesn't care much about the average person, but neither do any of the other politicians from any team (party).
Old 04-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I'll always be a teamster . I've never had an issue getting rid of a guy in the IBEW. Occasional grievance here or there, but never had reprocussions. Then a guy that could pull his weight the next day. But our construction trades are a little different I think. I've become a superintendent, and I really try to give them multiple chances anyway. That is as long as the work is getting done safely and they're not holding up the crew at all. I'll talk with them, call em out at the morning briefings and we have a chuckle about it and get it done. I strictly do transmission jobs and it's all hard money jobs working 7-12s for 4 to 5 months out of the year (more in Cali with better weather). Every single one of these guys (NW and Cali wages atleast) makes $150k and up with storm jobs, so they have got to earn it if they wanna stick around. Because the IBEW sides with the contractor in 95% of the time in these cases. These guys bust their ass. Dock crew and utilities?..... meh that's another story lol. Of course this doesnt go for all unions but love what I do and where I do it anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:14 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Most of the US manufacturing is going to shift to Mexico and Vietnam.

Being a nationalist is a good thing but the world today is far more interlinked and that stops all nations from taking abrupt decisions. Remember, the value of dollar is kept high by countries from across the globe. Unbalancing this delicate system will only lead to long term problems for the USD.

From an economic point of view, you cannot have a high value currency and 100% manufacturing at the same time. Its unsustainable. I believe 25 to 30% manufacturing will return to US and rest distributed across the globe where cheap labor is available.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Found this.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #33
RCC Addict

The global manufacturing thing actually goes both ways. There are foreign companies with plants in the US as well as US companies with plants in other countries. This sort of international trade tends to be a deterrent for military conflict.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I am not an economist so I will not provide my opinion as it is just that, an opinion.

I do however try to look at history as the old saying goes "those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it".

China closed it's doors to the western world (not USA but WORLD) with the thought that they had everything they needed and they were not interested in items from other countries. China missed out on the industrial revolution due to this thinking. This also made China very weak and an easy target for anyone that wanted to invade them.

Now I know you are not saying we should close our doors to the world. I am just saying that there is a lot more that goes on with the world economy that I will not pretend I know about to provide suggestions on making it better.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #35
RCC Addict

It's not just corporate greed. It's shareholders demanding more profits and lower expenses, hedge funds running companies into to the ground while wringing out every cent they can and it's consumers voting with their wallets for the cheapest prices.

Walmart is big not because it's good, it's big because it's cheap. They pay shit wages to employees and millions to the owners and keep prices cheap. They drive local suppliers out of business by demanding cheaper and cheaper and then they look to China.

How many of us shop around for the cheapest RCs? Everyone wants low prices and free shipping. Local companies cannot compete. So production goes offshore. As does retailing. How many local hobby shops have disappeared because they cannot compete with internet shops? Even those struggle. Look what happened to Tower Hobbies.

If everyone wants big profits and cheap prices, we'll never see manufacturing return from off shore. So, be choosy as to what you buy and support your local HS.

Last edited by Tossedman; 04-19-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
It's not just corporate greed. It's shareholders demanding more profits and lower expenses, hedge funds running companies into to the ground while wringing out every cent they can and it's consumers voting with their wallets for the cheapest prices.

Walmart is big not because it's good, it's big because it's cheap. They pay shit wages to employees and millions to the owners and keep prices cheap. They drive local suppliers out of business by demanding cheaper and cheaper and then they look to China.

How many of us shop around for the cheapest RCs? Everyone wants low prices and free shipping. Local companies cannot compete. So production goes offshore. As does retailing. How many local hobby shops have disappeared because they cannot compete with internet shops? Even those struggle. Look what happened to Tower Hobbies.

If everyone wants big profits and cheap prices, we'll never see manufacturing return from off shore. So, be choosy as to what you buy and support your local HS.
^^^THIS. Working at a small hobby store, I've had a bunch of customers who threaten to "go online and never come back" if we don't carry every single random part and accessory thy have ever wanted, and start price-matching to EBay and Amazon (wtf?). At the same time, I'll watch them post about only supporting local stores and 'Murica F-yeah on the local RC group pages. Everybody spouts their patriotism (veiled nationalism, in these cases) until it comes to saving $2 on an A-arm...
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Id agree, it's ultimately the consumers driving the cheaper prices, not necessarily the 'greedy bosses'.

I work in consulting engineering, in both commercial and residential construction. We're continually squeezed on prices from our builder clients. To win a tender you literally have to go in with a break even figure. There's virtually no margins left. Our fees and hourly rates are cheaper now, then they were 20 years ago.

To compete and stay in business many of my competitors now off-shore engineering design and drafting work to Vietnam, China and now India. We've resisted doing this and prefer to keep as many locally employed people as possible, however the work is won on price.... not on goodwill from supporting our local community.

Recently I spoke to a couple of my builder clients, and literally pleaded with them to be reasonable on their expectation of pricing - the continual pressure of wanting more for less is driving everyone in our industry out of business.

They tell me it's not their intention to squeeze us so hard on price - but they have no choice. The end users, the home owners, are the ones forcing the pressure on price. A few years ago when someone was building a home they'd physically visit 2 or 3 builders, build a relationship, and decide on one. Now people just send an email to 50 builders, and pick the cheapest one.

No-one cares about quality, until there's problems later, no-one cares about where the construction materials come from, no-one cares who does the work...... so long as its as cheap as possible.

Unfortunately we're all guilty of this in some way, shape or form.
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:19 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Add Beef Tubes to that USA list.

Hang up and Drive
specially their servos
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:43 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Reduce Chinese products, then Mexican, other States, Counties, neighbours ? where should it end to feel comfortable ?

Remember also that US also plays the same game as others, with crops for exemple ... and please don't complain about balance not being equal, equal balance doesn't exist anywhere, even at local level, and is as much a matter of prices as providing goods that are interesting and appropriate for export ...
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Found this.
This is exactly why I only shop at Amazon as an absolute last resort.

Quote:

Shareholders demanding more profits falls under "corporate greed" wouldn't you say?

Time to reduce Chinese product purchasing, folks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hiya folks! Long time lurker taking the plunge! Foxy42 Newbie General 6 09-26-2013 02:49 AM
Those Wacky Chinese Folks Knarly Nerd Chit Chat 5 06-12-2012 05:57 PM
Need a little help with purchasing rims 04sti20 Axial SCX-10 7 05-03-2012 06:44 PM
Need help on purchasing an ESC LittleDave Electronics 7 01-04-2011 07:55 PM
Does a BEC reduce run time? Jslick Electronics 8 08-07-2010 10:11 AM