Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 'The Martian'- Great movie, but with two giant plot problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 'The Martian'- Great movie, but with two giant plot problems

If you are a space/Mars geek like me, then you likely like the movie, The Martian. It has been praised for the realistic way it "scienced the sh!t" out of some of the challenges that were overcome.

But, there are two giant plot issues that are hard to overlook.

1. This one is subtle, but for Mars geeks, glaring. In no way is the wind on Mars strong enough to blow over that rocket, the atmosphere is too thin. True, Mars has vicious wind storms that block out the sun and cover the Mars rover with dust. But, that is only because the martian surface is covered with very fine dust, anything heavier than that would not get blown around, to say nothing about tipping over that rocket.

With this, if the wind storms on Mars had a significant chance of blowing a rocket over, it seems unlikely that the second rocket would have still been standing.

2. Currently there are multiple rocket launches per month doing various things. Does it really make any since that in the future they would have such a hard time getting one rocket with supplies into orbit. I do understand that this particular plot point requires cooperation between the US and China, which plays to one of the underlying themes of the movie, but it just seems unlikely that a rocket couldn't be launched within a week or two with supplies; with other rockets on stand bye. Plus, it seems like they'd have something in orbit around Earth, or even Mars to deliver emergency supplies if needed.

Even with these plot holes, still love watching this movie...

Thoughts?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 'The Martian'- Great movie, but with two giant plot problems

The book is way better than the movie. Quick read too.

That being said, Neil deGrasse Tyson gave it his stamp of approval. Was good enough for the non astronomist that I am lol
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
If you are a space/Mars geek like me, then you likely like the movie, The Martian. It has been praised for the realistic way it "scienced the sh!t" out of some of the challenges that were overcome.

But, there are two giant plot issues that are hard to overlook.

1. This one is subtle, but for Mars geeks, glaring. In no way is the wind on Mars strong enough to blow over that rocket, the atmosphere is too thin. True, Mars has vicious wind storms that block out the sun and cover the Mars rover with dust. But, that is only because the martian surface is covered with very fine dust, anything heavier than that would not get blown around, to say nothing about tipping over that rocket.

With this, if the wind storms on Mars had a significant chance of blowing a rocket over, it seems unlikely that the second rocket would have still been standing.

2. Currently there are multiple rocket launches per month doing various things. Does it really make any since that in the future they would have such a hard time getting one rocket with supplies into orbit. I do understand that this particular plot point requires cooperation between the US and China, which plays to one of the underlying themes of the movie, but it just seems unlikely that a rocket couldn't be launched within a week or two with supplies; with other rockets on stand bye. Plus, it seems like they'd have something in orbit around Earth, or even Mars to deliver emergency supplies if needed.

Even with these plot holes, still love watching this movie...

Thoughts?
1. Yeah, but it was in the script as my Dad always used to say.

2. We can't even get enough COVID-19 tests out there. Which of the two sounds logistically easier to you?
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
2. Currently there are multiple rocket launches per month doing various things. Does it really make any since that in the future they would have such a hard time getting one rocket with supplies into orbit. I do understand that this particular plot point requires cooperation between the US and China, which plays to one of the underlying themes of the movie, but it just seems unlikely that a rocket couldn't be launched within a week or two with supplies; with other rockets on stand bye.
The average rocket is not your average rental truck, you can't just fill the trunk and turn the key, even when the Shuttle was still in use ... every rocket is configured for a specific payload. And for Mars the launch window is 8 months every 2 years ... you better not have a bad weather if you're launching the last day of the window.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote

'The Martian'- Great movie, but with two giant plot problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Movie Plot Holes Greatscott Chit Chat 2 08-03-2020 06:31 AM
Vinyl Plot Cutters scorpion Paint and Body 9 04-02-2014 05:50 PM
Pacific Rim movie (giant monsters and giant robots) Jslick Chit Chat 9 12-14-2012 12:01 AM
problems with my giant bicycle krawlinCJ Chit Chat 0 05-12-2007 08:00 PM