Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Riots/Looting, peaceful protests in your area?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Riots/Looting, peaceful protests in your area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post

All I can say is if you live in your country and you are happy that is awesome. You won't see me looking up news about your country and then see me crapping all over it. Why? A. I am not insecure about myself where I need to crap on others. B. I don't give a rats ass about other countries. I care about the one I live in as it directly affects me.
It's because it's difficult to not care about what happens in the US. We Europeans are DROWNING in American news, media, products, culture, etc. Goes back to WW2, the Marshall Plan. The US gave money to Western Europe in return for permanent subscription to everything American. That was the deal. And it worked.. a little bit too well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
Here in Atlanta our governor has balls, National guard taking care of business

Well Done ATLANTA

As it should be to maintain the peace when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/wally.scham...31790390251743

Two minor incidents and some traffic issues but we don't tolerate things like riots and what-not. These guys watched and protected a peaceful demonstration, then kept some stragglers from doing anything unlawful after a group formed when the official protest ended and the person in charge told their supporters to go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenritter View Post
I am from Germany. I don`t think our gun laws (or other european gun laws) would work for the United States. Different history, different situation. In european media, the US is always taken as a bad example to argue for more restrictive gun laws over here. In fact, every gun incident (whether in the US or in Europe) is used to call for more restriktive gun laws over here.
Needless to say, more restriktive gun laws cannot reduce the number of gun involved homicides anymore (statistically), because the percentage of legal guns used in such incidents is at minimum. Our gun laws are ok, enforcing them would be more effective and would save more lives.

As said before: criminals could care less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
Got bad in Mexico pretty fast after a similar cop issue.

I dont think any US cops have been set on fire just yet.

Oh just stabbed, shot, murdered....just as bad, death by a different means. We stand with our law enforcement to enforce our laws and maintain peace, law and order.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #83
RCC Addict

I went to Lake Havasu this weekend and there was a group of BLM protestors demonstrating, but also a strong MAGA presence open carrying, but not really interactions between the two from what I saw. Lots of Trump flags on boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Yes, all of the above.

Again, I don’t support the rioting and looting but I’ll play along.

I imagine watching people that look like you get unjustly murdered by the police time and time again and often without consequence generates stronger emotions than not being able to get your haircut.
The Michigan protests were not about haircuts, it was about opening businesses back up so that people can earn a living. It was peaceful.

I'm sure by now you have seen the story about the guy in Texas (Tony Timpa) who was killed in a very similar way to George Floyd. My whole family is from Dallas and knew nothing of it until a couple weeks ago and that happened in 2016. Probably didn't know about Daniel Shaver did you? An unarmed white guy crying and begging for his life shot to death in a hotel hallway. No charges. No knock warrants also cause quite a few deaths. Whoever thinks its a good idea to knock down a door in the middle of the night and storm into a house to arrest someone is a damned idiot.

What I'm getting at is that when an unarmed black person is killed by police, the media pushes it as racism. Maybe it is just because it gets much more attention, which makes them more $$. Maybe its just to create division...Probably a combination of those.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #84
Gold Star Baby!

What happened to those men is awful as well. I am confused as to why people bring up specific instances of police brutality against white people, like that makes up for any police brutality against POC. It’s all trash and just further supports the need for police reform. Just read about Tony Timpa now and it makes my blood boil.

It doesn’t change that a black person is 3x more likely to be killed by police. It doesn’t change that black people are 1.3x more likely to be unarmed than white people. It doesn’t change that one in every one thousand black men will be killed by police. It doesn’t change that qualified immunity prevents those officers who have done wrong from being held accountable. It doesn’t change that the protests against police brutality have been met with an increase in police brutality.

So please tell me, what are you really trying to say?

Is it hard to understand that all lives can’t matter until black lives do? If you can sit here and say white lives matter, but can’t say black lives matter then why is that? Is black not part of all?

If you cut your pinky, do you put bandaids on all 10 fingers? If someone’s parent dies do you meet their pain by telling them everyone’s parents die?

Just because one community is hurting and needs your support at this time doesn’t make anyone else less valuable.

I’ll tell you what creates division, a sitting president refusing to follow CDC guidelines and turning a mask into a political statement during a pandemic. A sitting president tweeting that a man who was bleeding from the ears after police shoved him was a paid actor. A sitting president tweeting to the commissioner of a sports league to cause drama and unrest.

But please, tell me how the media bringing attention to the killing of a black man who use suffocated to death for nearly 9 minutes is intended to create division. That police officer had 500 seconds, many of which while his victim was telling him he couldn’t breathe, to change his course of action and just arrest the man instead of murdering him. He didn’t. And that’s a problem. Maybe ask yourself why the police officer felt compelled and righteous to do so, and ask yourself while the other 3 keepers of peace around him protected him during the murder, instead of asking why it’s on the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
The Michigan protests were not about haircuts, it was about opening businesses back up so that people can earn a living. It was peaceful.
It still doesn’t compare, even if this were entirely accurate. Given that there was an end in sight I don’t fully buy that the protests were only about opening business back up and had more to do with who the Governor is and Trump’s ability to manipulate his base for political show.

It’s easier to have a peaceful protest when police aren’t antagonizing and instigating. Just imagine if BLM protests started with POC legally brandishing their weapons.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 06-09-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #85

Quote:
What happened to those men is awful as well. I am confused as to why people bring up specific instances of police brutality against white people, like that makes up for any police brutality against POC. It’s all trash and just further supports the need for police reform.

It doesn’t change that a black person is 3x more likely to be killed by police. It doesn’t change that black people are 1.3x more likely to be unarmed than white people. It doesn’t change that one in every one thousand black men will be killed by police. It doesn’t change that qualified immunity prevents those officers who have done wrong from being held accountable. It doesn’t change that the protests against police brutality have been met with an increase in police brutality.

Is it hard to understand that all lives can’t matter until black lives do? If you can sit here and say white lives matter, but can’t say black lives matter then why is that? Is black not part of all?

If you cut your pinky, do you put bandaids on all 10 fingers? If someone’s parent dies do you meet their pain by telling them everyone’s parents die?

Just because one community is hurting and needs your support at this time doesn’t make anyone else less valuable.

I’ll tell you what creates division, a sitting president refusing to follow CDC guidelines and turning a mask into a political statement during a pandemic. A sitting president tweeting that a man who was bleeding from the ears after police shoved him was a paid actor. A sitting president tweeting to the commissioner of a sports league to cause drama and unrest.

But please, tell me how the media bringing attention to the killing of a black man who use suffocated to death for nearly 9 minutes is intended to create division. That police officer had 500 seconds, many of which while his victim was telling him he couldn’t breathe, to change his course of action and just arrest the man instead of murdering him. He didn’t. And that’s a problem. Maybe ask yourself why the police officer felt compelled and righteous to do so, and ask yourself while the other 3 keepers of peace around him protected him during the murder, instead of asking why it’s on the news.

It’s nice to see somebody gets it. I really wish I had more time to engage here because I do value this community, the traxxas forum, rc tech, etc.

I tend to only find the time to write when I read something that’s so baseless, I get a bit heated. And it’s hard to respond in a constructive way when you’re pissed from the get go.

I think a majority of whites in this country just don’t realize that we’ve been the beneficiaries of highly structured racism for generations now. If we choose to be blind to our own history, than we openly invite whatever horrors await.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spraytruckdolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
What happened to those men is awful as well. I am confused as to why people bring up specific instances of police brutality against white people, like that makes up for any police brutality against POC. It’s all trash and just further supports the need for police reform.

I'm saying that literally the exact same scenario happens with other races, yet the media does not spend any time or effort reporting it and the public does not generally care. The media focuses on the one story that will get the biggest rise out of people. How many black officers died during the riots? How many can you name without looking it up? They are police so not important to the media.

Timpa was held down for 14 minutes while begging for his life, he was telling them that he could not breathe and that they were killing him. The police mocked him as he lay there dead. No charges filed. Then again, maybe if there was a camera phone or two locked on them, it might have had a different outcome. Body camera footage was not released until a couple years after it happened.

In no way am I saying that George Floyd's death was not f***ed up, nor am I trying to marginalize it. Clearly since multiple people have died as police have utilized that hold, new policies should be put in place and officers should be trained in other methods of controlling a suspect. I can tell you that any training I have had is that if they are talking, they can breathe. That kinda omits the whole oxygen getting to the brain aspect.

Saying that all lives matter is not saying that black lives do not matter. All means all lives. As in our lives are equal. Saying people are equal is literally the opposite of racism.

As for the police shootings and race, that is a very complex thing to fully capture. There are WAY too many variables in that than a simple chart can show. The crime they were committing (or suspected of), entire interaction with the officers, size, history, and actions would all need to be taken into consideration. Also if you are trying to count it as racism, race of the officer would have to be needed as well. The studies I was reading show officers race does not seem to be much of a factor.

Your 1 in 1000 stat is odd. 48 million African Americans in the country according to the last census. If half of those are men, it means 24,000 will be killed. Stats I see show ~220/year are killed. Gonna take a while to get to 24k.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #87
Gold Star Baby!

Of course all lives matter, but all lives can’t matter unless black lives matter too. Why is it so hard to say that? Saying black lives matter doesn’t mean you care any less about any other lives but yet so many people can’t bring themselves to say three simple words, black lives matter, and they use the defense that “All lives matter” and then they’ll turn around and not hesitate to say blue lives matter. It seems that the disagreement here may be that you don’t believe people of color are at risk for simply being people of color. Let me ask you James, in this world would you honestly want to be treated as a black man?

1 in 1,000 stat... http://www.latimes.com/science/story...-for-black-men
“About 1 in 1,000 black men and boys in America can expect to die at the hands of police, according to a new analysis of deaths involving law enforcement officers. That makes them 2.5 times more likely than white men and boys to die during an encounter with cops.” At 220 a year it does seem off I’ll have to look into that.

In Minneapolis police use of force against black people were 7x more frequent than use of force against whites.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-of-force.html

Again, excessive force against any race is an issue. I’m just trying to point out that the black community is disproportionately affected and that change is needed.

I think you’re right about if cameras were on for the Timpa murder that a lot more noise would have been made. Another reason for police reform and oversight.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 06-09-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #88
Rock Stacker

I read for every 1 black man killed by police there are 270 blacks killed by blacks. There were 18 murders in 24 hours in Chicago not one by a cop. This happens every week here in Chicago and has been going on for decades. I have yet to see blm make a big deal out of it. Funny thing is they just keep voting democratic and it just keeps happening. Will they ever learn?
Mopar man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #89
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar man View Post
Funny thing is they just keep voting democratic and it just keeps happening. Will they ever learn?
Are you really trying to imply that black communities in Chicago have higher rates of violence because they vote democrat?

Take a lap.

To your other distraction point, no one is happy about that either but we still need to solve police brutality in general as well as it’s disproportionate effect on people of color.

Unless you’re saying if we can’t solve every problem within a community why even bother, which if that’s the case I would suggest you take another lap.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #90
Rock Stacker

I’m saying Chicago as well as most of the big city’s have been ran by Democrats for decades and the crimes in these cities continually go up or stay very high. They have done nothing but talk about helping low income communities for ever. Most kids only have one parent witch statistics show is not a good start. Millions of dollars for schools but still have below average reading,math and graduation rate. The dems keep saying they are for minorities but there track record shows other wise. Every profession has bad apples they need to be delt with right away. It is crazy seeing all these killings every week and none of the democratic leaders do a thing to combat it. So if reality makes your bit hurt maybe you should take a lap.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #91
Rock Stacker

https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/05/wha...-sorrow-unrest

These are the democratic leaders here in Chicago. Total shit show and they are leaders?
Old 06-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #92
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
I’m saying Chicago as well as most of the big city’s have been ran by Democrats for decades and the crimes in these cities continually go up or stay very high. They have done nothing but talk about helping low income communities for ever. Most kids only have one parent witch statistics show is not a good start. Millions of dollars for schools but still have below average reading,math and graduation rate. The dems keep saying they are for minorities but there track record shows other wise. Every profession has bad apples they need to be delt with right away. It is crazy seeing all these killings every week and none of the democratic leaders do a thing to combat it. So if reality makes your bit hurt maybe you should take a lap.
Lol not hurt at all and your semi incoherent generalized ramble didn’t help your initial statement. But if you feel better after typing that out then I do agree in general that some level of violence in black communities can be correlated to the systemic and institutionalized racism our government is responsible for.

Still has nothing to do with police brutality and it’s disproportionate effect on people of color.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 06-09-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

1 in 1000 dying at the hands of the police is likely in their lifetime not per year.

Good on you Topher for being so civil and intelligent in your remarks. Its pretty easy to get heated but what we need more that ever is to come together, this isn't about just one group its about all of us. As Topher and Col Sanders have just said its not one group alone being effected by police abuses so we should all be able to agree that accountability in an effort to reduce or eliminate these abuses can only be a good idea.
Meeting abuses with more abuses will get us nowhere.

I think we're sadly on the cusp of either something better or devolving into a police state similar to China's. The scary thing is Trump actually compliments the Chinese for their brutal crackdowns on dissent. This is a truly dangerous and slippery slope.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #94
Rock Stacker

One good thing that will come out of these riots and protest. we should see in about 10 days if there hospitals get overwhelmed with Kung flu patients. If so we will know we did the right thing by shutting this country down. If not, we will know that shutting this country down was a huge mistake that will have consequences that only time will tell.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
In Minneapolis police use of force against black people were 7x more frequent than use of force against whites.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-of-force.html

Again, excessive force against any race is an issue. I’m just trying to point out that the black community is disproportionately affected and that change is needed.

I think you’re right about if cameras were on for the Timpa murder that a lot more noise would have been made. Another reason for police reform and oversight.

Statistics are fun since they can be manipulated. Lets look at that article combined with real raw data.

Hennepin County in 2015 3,458 African Americans and 447 whites were arrested for UCR Part 1 (violent crime) offenses. For Part 2 offenses, 9,533 arrests of African Americans and 1,897 whites. If 58% of arrests that used force were black, but almost 6x more black people were arrested...I'd say that means white people are disproportionately likely to have force used on them?

Source: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ojp/sta...ashboards.aspx

If you dig into all stats regarding arrests by race, as well as officer involved deaths, you might be surprised as well.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #96
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
1 in 1000 dying at the hands of the police is likely in their lifetime not per year.

Good on you Topher for being so civil and intelligent in your remarks. Its pretty easy to get heated but what we need more that ever is to come together, this isn't about just one group its about all of us. As Topher and Col Sanders have just said its not one group alone being effected by police abuses so we should all be able to agree that accountability in an effort to reduce or eliminate these abuses can only be a good idea.
Meeting abuses with more abuses will get us nowhere.

I think we're sadly on the cusp of either something better or devolving into a police state similar to China's. The scary thing is Trump actually compliments the Chinese for their brutal crackdowns on dissent. This is a truly dangerous and slippery slope.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I try but don’t always succeed in keeping it cool. I agree with a lot of what you said, and particularly about the precarious future we have in front of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Hennepin County in 2015 3,458 African Americans and 447 whites were arrested for UCR Part 1 (violent crime) offenses. For Part 2 offenses, 9,533 arrests of African Americans and 1,897 whites. If 58% of arrests that used force were black, but almost 6x more black people were arrested...I'd say that means white people are disproportionately likely to have force used on them?

Source: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ojp/sta...ashboards.aspx
I’m trying to follow your logic to the conclusion but am not getting there. It’s been a long day. Can you elaborate?

I’m going to take a break from this thread for a while but I’ll keep reading any responses and will consider what’s said even if I don’t respond.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #97

Quote:
One good thing that will come out of these riots and protest. we should see in about 10 days if there hospitals get overwhelmed with Kung flu patients. If so we will know we did the right thing by shutting this country down. If not, we will know that shutting this country down was a huge mistake that will have consequences that only time will tell.

After reading a few of your recent posts, I can say with a high degree of confidence, that you sound like a pull-string GOP talking points doll, if such a thing existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spraytruckdolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #98
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate that. I try but don’t always succeed in keeping it cool. I agree with a lot of what you said, and particularly about the precarious future we have in front of us.

I’m trying to follow your logic to the conclusion but am not getting there. It’s been a long day. Can you elaborate?

I’m going to take a break from this thread for a while but I’ll keep reading any responses and will consider what’s said even if I don’t respond.

What I'm saying is that if ~50% of the total arrests for a given city/state are ANY single race (as seems to be in that particular county), then it should not be shocking to see that 58% of time that force is used by that police department, it would be against that race.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:25 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Capital Hill Autonomous Zone going on in Seattle.

https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2...east-precinct/
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #100

So I don't really no how to say this but - I think there is equal racism among all races.

And I've been told by many people - after pointing out a racist statement - that they can't be racist because they are black.

And I've witnessed this personally from getting slammed to the ground by a group of dudes who were discussing how "a white boy died today" before a freshman class in college. That was my introduction to racism.

Also being told that "this is our place" and "asked" to leave from a bar with a friend who frequented there.

I could go on.

Last edited by old_metal_head; 06-10-2020 at 02:19 PM.
old_metal_head is offline   Reply With Quote

Riots/Looting, peaceful protests in your area? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
riots on the left, protests on the right CM9000 Chit Chat 12 11-15-2016 12:34 PM
A peaceful cruise at the park tuanies Videos! 0 11-10-2016 09:46 PM
Manchester Riots 2011 johnnyh66 Chit Chat 6 08-13-2011 10:34 AM
Bay Area: Palo Alto / Mtn View area Spiftacu1ar California 11 09-01-2010 01:30 AM
South east area crawlers?Cincy area? DrtRacr440 Ohio 16 07-12-2009 05:49 AM