RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Riots/Looting, peaceful protests in your area? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/618744-riots-looting-peaceful-protests-your-area.html)

Gula 06-02-2020 10:26 PM

Riots/Looting, peaceful protests in your area?

We got it all, here in Fairfield.

skinnyj 06-03-2020 06:48 AM

Re: Riots/Looting, peaceful protests in your area?

There was a candlelight vigil that went off without incident. Later some knuckleheads got arrested for shooting fireworks into moving traffic. Overall, it was pretty quiet.

Greatscott 06-03-2020 06:55 AM

We had a "demonstration" up here a couple of days ago, they were expecting it to be violent, turned out to be peaceful, thankfully. From the pictures I saw, I think a big keeper of the piece were private citizens lining the demonstration route carrying AR-15s.

BUBBA069 06-03-2020 07:35 AM

I'm glad I'm on vacation. My work isn't far from Ferguson (where Michael Brown riots happened). Its getting ramping up here again. STL County is on a 9pm curfew. Ferguson is on high alert, a lot of business there are still hurting from the last round. Some businesses just flat refused to rebuild.

Loads of peaceful protests all over the area, the shit heads start coming out at night. Going to get into the upper 90's next couple days. Tempers get rather short when the heat jumps. Could be an interesting next couple days.

mikemcE 06-03-2020 09:11 AM

4petty arrests here with a peaceful demonstration ....LEO here with the majority, disgusted with boneheads

Hang up and Drive

Col_Sanders 06-03-2020 09:19 AM

We have had one police officer shot and he is in grave condition. Also the police killed a different guy who pointed a gun at them. Lots of businesses closing early. There were people on the highway at one point. The governor did call up National Guard so hopefully it won't get too crazy.

Gun stores have very long lines and ammo is hard to find.

c0bra 06-03-2020 09:38 AM

Were I live there has only been peaceful protests. But an hour or so north of me in New York City has gotten violent, but the worse one is about an hour south of me in Philadelphia.

The other day the rioters decided to kill a state trooper and set them on fire. So the next day they put in a 6pm to 6am cerfew. If you are an essential employee going to or from work you are fine, anything else they are throwing you in jail. Plus they called in the National Guard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spraytruckdolby 06-03-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatscott (Post 6026742)
We had a "demonstration" up here a couple of days ago, they were expecting it to be violent, turned out to be peaceful, thankfully. From the pictures I saw, I think a big keeper of the piece were private citizens lining the demonstration route carrying AR-15s.

Weapons of the weak and fearful...

Col_Sanders 06-03-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spraytruckdolby (Post 6026773)
Weapons of the weak and fearful...

Yeah gathering in a large group to toss rocks, bricks, and molotov cocktails at people, cars, or buildings is brave. Protecting businesses or people with an AR15 is cowardly :roll:

spraytruckdolby 06-03-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col_Sanders (Post 6026779)
Yeah gathering in a large group to toss rocks, bricks, and molotov cocktails at people, cars, or buildings is brave. Protecting businesses or people with an AR15 is cowardly :roll:

I agree with your sentiment. Rioting is plain wrong, and I’m all for arresting and prosecuting the offenders accordingly.

Peacefully protesting on the other hand is essential in a free society. The implication of people lining the streets with military style weapons is: “if you riot and loot, we will shoot you”, which is illegal, and also prosecutable, and carries a potentially much stiffer penalty than theft, vandalism, destruction of property, etc.

Maybe I’m just biased against the mil-spec weapons because of the clear history of the dangers associated with. I fully support the ban of all assault weapons, religion, etc. Historically, where do they lead?

rkj__ 06-03-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spraytruckdolby (Post 6026782)
Rioting is plain wrong

"Riots are often the desperate response of people who feel they have no other recourse. We can reduce rioting by providing better access to justice for everyone."

https://time.com/3951282/riot-violen...rican-history/

Highmark 06-03-2020 12:30 PM

Austin has been intense, but not as bad as other (larger) cities despite being a politically charged city to begin with, and having a case where an unarmed man was shot by the Police awhile back. I'll be out there this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

Louisville (where I'm from) on the other hand has been a complete disaster. I have nothing positive to say about how that town has handled this and I think it should get more coverage to show people how nasty things have been there. It's just sad all around.

Topher Builds 06-03-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Maybe I’m just biased against the mil-spec weapons because of the clear history of the dangers associated with. I fully support the ban of all assault weapons, religion, etc. Historically, where do they lead?

Woo boy. This place can pop off with these right here.

My two cents. I don’t trust the government enough to sacrifice any gun rights. I do think there’s a middle ground to reduce the risk and danger involved, but the people need firearms. If a government is not afraid of its people or their ability to fight back then it has little reason to serve the people and not themselves.

As far as religion, I think the world would be better off without it. But it’s not going anywhere.

My three cents on everything else. Protests are necessary. Rioting and looting sucks. Not everything is as it seems right now.

spraytruckdolby 06-03-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkj__ (Post 6026789)
"Riots are often the desperate response of people who feel they have no other recourse. We can reduce rioting by providing better access to justice for everyone."

https://time.com/3951282/riot-violen...rican-history/

That’s a beautiful quote. I heard this one comedian/newsman Trevor Noah talking about this notion that we all live under a sort of unwritten social contract. He explains that the police, the government, and institutions that are an integral part of our social fabric, they breach the contract when the police kill black people- usually unarmed, usually incapacitated, or otherwise not resisting.

So in essence, once the contract is broken, all bets are off, and chaos ensues.

I get this. It makes sense. It still hurts though. I lost a best friend of almost 30 years, when he basically came out as a white supremacist.

So maybe they still hold the rioters accountable, arrest them, get them in the system, etc... Sentence them to community service, since the victim of their crime is by and large the community itself. I still think they should be accountable. Ultimately, they are victimizing someone, even if they are expressing completely justified rage at society.

Greatscott 06-03-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

I agree with your sentiment. Rioting is plain wrong, and I’m all for arresting and prosecuting the offenders accordingly.

Most, even those who have been positively identified on camera will not be, there are just too many, and they know that.

Quote:

Peacefully protesting on the other hand is essential in a free society. The implication of people lining the streets with military style weapons is: “if you riot and loot, we will shoot you”, which is illegal, and also prosecutable, and carries a potentially much stiffer penalty than theft, vandalism, destruction of property, etc.

First, most of the people carrying the ARs were in solidarity with the protestors. Second, these armed people were doing nothing to prevent the protest, and, again, many were actively supporting it.

Third, YES, if you riot and loot, YOU SHOULD GET SHOT. Period. Never minding the fact that most of this violence is being promoted and orchestrated by that fascist coalition known as Antifa.

And yes, I fully understand that "Antifa" stands for "anti-fascism", but this 'organization' pushes its message by silencing its opposition through fear, intimidation, and violence, which are the core instruments of fascism. This group calling itself "anti-fascism" is like the NRA changing its name to "The Anti-Gun League".

Quote:

Personally, I agree with your sentiment about these types of weapons. They can be converted, easily, into weapons that have a high fire rate with high capacity, even through they are not actually fully automatic. But, where does it stop? Where do you draw the line of weapons, today they take the ARs and AKs, tomorrow they are taking the revolvers , .308s and shot guns? I am a firm believer that the day after our 2A rights go away, our 1A rights follow.

So… why not outcry, demonstrating, or looting over this guy?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/da...rnd/index.html

Does his life not matter because he wasn't killed by police?

Natedog 06-03-2020 12:56 PM

Protest ok, but murdering police?

They blocked the highway here the other day, delaying the commute of those who are going to work to earn a living, not ok only and angers those trying to get to work etc.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away at best.

Our state is allowing all kinds of crap to go on, just last night a car dealership was broken into, over 70 new vehicles were stolen, others were smashed and damaged...$2.7 million dollars damage, not ok.

Day before BestBuy was broken into in broad daylight by looters using a construction lift to ram the building, not ok. Police caught and arrested some of them.

Some areas have curfew, most the bad stuff happens after dark, but not all. There seems to be criminals taking advantage of the situation, they arrested several the other day for looting.

In a video several days ago, people dressed in all black with gas masks walked right up to businesses and smashed the windows. When questioned by legitimate protesters, they said nothing and walked away. Gangs, Antifa, foreign agents?

Saw on the news today, protester finally had enough and gave a looter a beatdown.

Quote:

The peaceful protest was allowed. Who's happy that looting, murder and mayhem are occurring?

What part of looting is legal? How would you feel if they looted your home or business?

Topher Builds 06-03-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatscott (Post 6026803)

I’ll bite. While his loss of life is absolutely tragic and uncalled for, this situation is quite different because as a police officer you are aware of and accept that your life may be in danger while performing your job duties. He knowingly risked his life to serve the profession that he chose.

When an unarmed person of color is killed by the police the circumstances are quite different and there is an abuse of power by an authority whom we have to be able to trust and also an authority whom we have little recourse against when they do wrong.

Natedog 06-03-2020 12:59 PM

Site hickup? Hopefully works proper this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatscott (Post 6026803)
Most, even those who have been positively identified on camera will not be, there are just too many, and they know that.

First, most of the people carrying the ARs were in solidarity with the protestors. Second, these armed people were doing nothing to prevent the protest, and, again, many were actively supporting it.

Third, YES, if you riot and loot, YOU SHOULD GET SHOT. Period. Never minding the fact that most of this violence is being promoted and orchestrated by that fascist coalition known as Antifa.

And yes, I fully understand that "Antifa" stands for "anti-fascism", but this 'organization' pushes its message by silencing its opposition through fear, intimidation, and violence, which are the core instruments of fascism. This group calling itself "anti-fascism" is like the NRA changing its name to "The Anti-Gun League".

Personally, I agree with your sentiment about these types of weapons. They can be converted, easily, into weapons that have a high fire rate with high capacity, even through they are not actually fully automatic. But, where does it stop? Where do you draw the line of weapons, today they take the ARs and AKs, tomorrow they are taking the revolvers , .308s and shot guns? I am a firm believer that the day after our 2A rights go away, our 1A rights follow.

Agreed.

spraytruckdolby 06-03-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 6026796)
Woo boy. This place can pop off with these right here.

My two cents. I don’t trust the government enough to sacrifice any gun rights. I do think there’s a middle ground to reduce the risk and danger involved, but the people need firearms. If a government is not afraid of its people or their ability to fight back then it has little reason to serve the people and not themselves.

As far as religion, I think the world would be better off without it. But it’s not going anywhere.

My three cents on everything else. Protests are necessary. Rioting and looting sucks. Not everything is as it seems right now.

**** yeah. I support the second amendment. And I don’t trust the government all that much either. But it really seems like we have a problem here that current gun laws don’t address.

Topher Builds 06-03-2020 01:01 PM

Let’s get one thing clear. Protestors are protesting.

Riots and looting are happening during the protests.

These are not the same thing. There are opportunistic individuals taking advantage of the situation to do things that all agree are wrong. They are not the protestors. Please separate the movement from the violence as it is not the purpose and is instead a byproduct when mixed with malicious parties.