Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 2021 Ford Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #1

Default 2021 Ford Bronco

I'm surprised nobody else has created a thread on this truck yet. It's a rare case of the actual production vehicle looking better than the original concept IMO. I'm a huge fan of the way it looks.

It's definitely going after the Jeep, which is a great thing because that is pretty much unchallenged in America by other US manufacturers, but this does have IFS. Great for the road which is where 95% of them will stay and good for going fast off-road, but not for rock crawling.

It starts out at a very reasonable $30,000.

Here's a cool, little article explaining the six trim levels.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...o-trim-levels/

Concept:

The real thing which comes in 2-door and 4-door:

The First Edition is $60,800 which is more than twice the base price!. All 3,500 copied of the First Edition have already been sold out.

The Sport looks like a Land Rover rip off. Not a big fan of this one in photos.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2021 Ford Bronco

Its growing on me....

If anything, this will make Jeep step up its game and fix someone of the issues the platform has had and has been ignored. The death wobble and bushing issues have been a problem forever, and have been up to the consumer to fix them. Aside from that, at 6'5", I find modern Jeeps uncomfortable in just about every aspect, as a driver or passenger.

It will be interesting to see what the overland community does with the Bronco. At $30k base with the Gucci 4wd system seems fairly reasonable.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I see I wasn't off by much on my price guess. Good ole bait n' switch.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I just don't understand why auto manufacturer's refuse to make a truck without a hideous gimmicky grill anymore. Aside from that, it's not a bad-looking truck. I actually dig the 2dr model but damn those grill/ headlights are just so ugly... just like most new trucks. I'm too old maybe. Otherwise looks like a fun and user-friendly vehicle... definitely better than the conceptual images.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

I like these a lot, big fan of the roof and how wide open it is.

I don’t mind the ecoboost platform either. Of course I wish it was a solid front axle but that was never really in the cards I suppose.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

I'm not a Ford guy, but I really like the looks of these! They look way better than the Concept in the first pic.

I really like the yellow 2-door with the door cut-outs. Not a big fan of the Sport version. It is missing that rugged off-road look that the 2 and 4 door has.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

This is my new dream vehicle. I want one, real bad. I think I'll always want a pickup for the utility, but a Bronco would make a fine daily driver for my wife. She is totally on board with the design / styling. We test drove the Wrangler JL last year, and she liked it, but the steering issues made me nervous. The ones we test drove were not bad, but definitely required more steering input / corrections than the rack and pinion IFS vehicles we are used to.

It's a dream vehicle for now, because wifey likes the Lux package, which pushes the price pretty high. It's possible the dream could come true, but I can't see it happening in the short term. I was hoping to replace her vehicle when it hits 10 years old, in 2022. That would give Ford a year to work out the kinks of the new platform. However, 2020 has not been kind to our finances, and we are considering making another big change, which will have some financial impacts that we can't fully anticipate.

So, for now, it will stay a dream. I'll certainly enjoy all the media reviews, and YouTuber builds that will be coming when the Bronco orders are filled next year.

Hopefully I can get a sweet Bronco RC sometime before I can save up for a real one. I'd love to see Traxxas or Axial come out with a sweet IFS trail platform, and a nicely detailed Bronco 4 Door body. Or, worst case, somebody does a half decent body that can be mounted on the Element Enduro IFS.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
It's a dream vehicle for now...

Hopefully I can get a sweet Bronco RC sometime before I can save up for a real one. I'd love to see Traxxas or Axial come out with a sweet IFS trail platform, and a nicely detailed Bronco 4 Door body. Or, worst case, somebody does a half decent body that can be mounted on the Element Enduro IFS.
I hear ya! It's only in my dreams for now!

The closest I will get will be a 1/10 scale version!

I just hope Pro-Line doesn't screw this one up! After seeing Axial's new detailed Jeep JLU body, I think they could create a nice body, maybe!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post

I just hope Pro-Line doesn't screw this one up! After seeing Axial's new detailed Jeep JLU body, I think they could create a nice body, maybe!

Upon quick look, it appears the body should be relatively easy to do in lexan. Just delete the removable front tie downs on the front corners, spare tire, and bumpers. The remainder is pretty simple.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm surprised nobody else has created a thread on this truck yet. It's a rare case of the actual production vehicle looking better than the original concept IMO. I'm a huge fan of the way it looks.
Frank made a thread, it just got titled into obscurity
New future body, or just talk about it.

I really like what they've done. I'm seriously considering the 2 door but with times getting tough its not likely
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Base 2 door with the sasquatch package would be nice. Maybe in 11 years if I can find one with 70k miles for $18k haha
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I like these a lot, big fan of the roof and how wide open it is.

I don’t mind the ecoboost platform either. Of course I wish it was a solid front axle but that was never really in the cards I suppose.
I'm not the biggest fan of turbo motors because of the inherent problems associated with them. The Ecoboost motors will probably never be as reliable long term as a naturally aspirated motor, but lots of people love them. I think that's because they love the power and just deal with the problems.

I'd prefer a naturally aspirated engine, but we all know those things are becoming extinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post

I hope somebody else like Axial or Traxxas make this Bronco. If Proline does it the grille will be Lexan and most likely look terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Frank made a thread, it just got titled into obscurity
New future body, or just talk about it.

I really like what they've done. I'm seriously considering the 2 door but with times getting tough its not likely
Oh I missed that one! That's because "Bronco" wasn't in the title and I only searched for threads that had "Bronco" in the title. Franke also created another one entitled "What do we have here 2020 Ford Bronco" but it was old and convoluted so I just created a new one.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm not the biggest fan of turbo motors because of the inherent problems associated with them. The Ecoboost motors will probably never be as reliable long term as a naturally aspirated motor, but lots of people love them. I think that's because they love the power and just deal with the problems.

I'd prefer a naturally aspirated engine, but we all know those things are becoming extinct.

A lot of the naturally aspirated V8 engines in half ton pickups have had cylinder deactivation systems added to them to help improve fuel efficiency. This has lead to some reliability issues / lifter failures. GM has it, Ram has it, and Ford is adding it on the new F-150. Some of these systems have been improved, but have not been on the market long enough for some to consider them "proven."

The "outdated" Toyota, unsurprisingly has held steady with is old-reliable V8, that drinks fuel at a higher rate. I'm sure they will change that soon. If you want a reliable, powerful, naturally aspirated V8, snap up a Tundra before hybrid / electrify / who-knows-what-fuel-saving-trick is implemented.

These days, it's pick your poison. Government regulations are forcing manufacturers to save fuel. So, you get hybrids, cylinder deactivation, and turbos. All of these systems will keep improving with time though. I think many of the turbo engines on the market are seeing some owners take them up to high mileage numbers these days.

Another option is heavy duty trucks, which don't follow the same EPA rules. That new Ford 7.3 sounds very impressive, and built with longevity as one of it's highest goals. But, it's also new, so time will tell how well it actually holds up. Without going back too far, you could always hop into a 2019 Silverado with the good ol' 6L.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #14
RCC Addict

My wife intended to buy a new 4runner this year, but I kept telling her to just wait until the new Bronco was released before buying the 10 year old design of the yota (they are LONG overdue for an update.) We rented a 4 door JL Wrangler for a weekend in Death Valley last year and I was impressed how far they've come since the TJ as far as real world driveability goes, but it was not without warts. Like GreatScott, I'm 6'5" and couldn't tolerate owning something that I had to tilt my head sideways to ride in, that's the reason I absolutely refuse to ride in my wife's WK Grand Cherokee.

I've been a die-hard solid front axle guy my entire life, but as I get older I realize that not everything I own needs to get down a double black diamond 4x4 trail... but some of the newer ifs systems will anyway. Being a bit of a "desert rat" family, giving up a bit of the extreme end of rock crawling performance to gain better on road handling and higher speed offroad performance should be a worthwhile trade off. We've been trying to shop around the $45-50k mark, which rules out the top tier packages, but if a 4dr 2.7L with front and rear lockers and their Bilstein shocks (which read like they're internal bypasses) can come in around that price, maybe we'll have a new Bronco in the driveway (not the garage, that's reserved for motorcycles!) next year?

Jato: the sport probably looks like a Land Rover rip off because it is... but the specific Land Rover being the Freelander, was actually built on the Ford Escape platform (with Land Rover's touch: extremely unreliable engine and horrible electrical gremlins) during Ford's ownership of Land Rover, so they kinda own that look? They should have just called the new Bronco Sport something else. Escape would have worked. I'm not interested in it either way.

...meanwhile, I'm content driving a 22 year old Econoline.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #15
RCC Addict

If you really want a V8, Jeep just announced their 450hp 6.4L powered Wrangler yesterday too.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
A lot of the naturally aspirated V8 engines in half ton pickups have had cylinder deactivation systems added to them to help improve fuel efficiency. This has lead to some reliability issues / lifter failures. GM has it, Ram has it, and Ford is adding it on the new F-150. Some of these systems have been improved, but have not been on the market long enough for some to consider them "proven."

The "outdated" Toyota, unsurprisingly has held steady with is old-reliable V8, that drinks fuel at a higher rate. I'm sure they will change that soon. If you want a reliable, powerful, naturally aspirated V8, snap up a Tundra before hybrid / electrify / who-knows-what-fuel-saving-trick is implemented.

These days, it's pick your poison. Government regulations are forcing manufacturers to save fuel. So, you get hybrids, cylinder deactivation, and turbos. All of these systems will keep improving with time though. I think many of the turbo engines on the market are seeing some owners take them up to high mileage numbers these days.

Another option is heavy duty trucks, which don't follow the same EPA rules. That new Ford 7.3 sounds very impressive, and built with longevity as one of it's highest goals. But, it's also new, so time will tell how well it actually holds up. Without going back too far, you could always hop into a 2019 Silverado with the good ol' 6L.
I haven't heard of the issues with cylinder deactivation. That's been around so long as a technology that I thought it would have been perfected now. I'll have to read up on that.

Yeah Toyotas are reliable because they keep the same model around for a decade. That's also why the Taco is finishing dead last in all of the midsize truck shootouts.

I'm a fan of the analog age though. And the Taco is still so good looking midsize truck - much better than the sad excuses called Colorado and Ranger. I shudder to think what Toyota will do to it in the next revision of the Taco with their new "styling"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
My wife intended to buy a new 4runner this year, but I kept telling her to just wait until the new Bronco was released before buying the 10 year old design of the yota (they are LONG overdue for an update.) We rented a 4 door JL Wrangler for a weekend in Death Valley last year and I was impressed how far they've come since the TJ as far as real world driveability goes, but it was not without warts. Like GreatScott, I'm 6'5" and couldn't tolerate owning something that I had to tilt my head sideways to ride in, that's the reason I absolutely refuse to ride in my wife's WK Grand Cherokee.

I've been a die-hard solid front axle guy my entire life, but as I get older I realize that not everything I own needs to get down a double black diamond 4x4 trail... but some of the newer ifs systems will anyway. Being a bit of a "desert rat" family, giving up a bit of the extreme end of rock crawling performance to gain better on road handling and higher speed offroad performance should be a worthwhile trade off. We've been trying to shop around the $45-50k mark, which rules out the top tier packages, but if a 4dr 2.7L with front and rear lockers and their Bilstein shocks (which read like they're internal bypasses) can come in around that price, maybe we'll have a new Bronco in the driveway (not the garage, that's reserved for motorcycles!) next year?

Jato: the sport probably looks like a Land Rover rip off because it is... but the specific Land Rover being the Freelander, was actually built on the Ford Escape platform (with Land Rover's touch: extremely unreliable engine and horrible electrical gremlins) during Ford's ownership of Land Rover, so they kinda own that look? They should have just called the new Bronco Sport something else. Escape would have worked. I'm not interested in it either way.

...meanwhile, I'm content driving a 22 year old Econoline.
Exactly. The manly ego inside of me grunts and says "need solid axle" but in reality I'd keep this vehicle on the streets and in that case you want IFS.

Yeah looks aren't the only thing Ford borrowed from Land Rover. I'm pretty sure they only bought them to borrow their off-road technology, gain some off-road cred and them sell them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
If you really want a V8, Jeep just announced their 450hp 6.4L powered Wrangler yesterday too.
Exactly. V8 FTW! And you know Jeep only fired that V8 shot, after all these years of people begging, because of the Bronco. Competition is good people.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I haven't heard of the issues with cylinder deactivation. That's been around so long as a technology that I thought it would have been perfected now. I'll have to read up on that.

I have a 2018 Sierra 5.3L, so I was following the GM-Truck forums for a bit after I bought it. While not terribly common from my assessment, there were still some reports of sticking lifters in the 2014-2018 trucks with the active fuel management system. I have not really kept up on the 2019+ trucks with the dynamic fuel management system.

I have over 40,000km on my truck so far, with no engine issues. I'll be making sure to keep the oil change intervals a little shorter than recommended. I might also get a Range device to turn off the V4 mode once I am out of warranty.

Last edited by rkj__; 07-14-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Here is the package vs cost breakdown....

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/how-muc...rd-bronco-cost

I am betting when this rig hits the dealerships it will be like the Jeep truck, and fetch a much higher price over MSRP. People got into bidding wars over those Jeep trucks, paying as much as $20k over the sticker price. The smart money says to wait at least a year before jumping in, the excitement will have calmed down and the platform will have been washed through its first 20 or so recalls.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I am betting when this rig hits the dealerships it will be like the Jeep truck, and fetch a much higher price over MSRP. People got into bidding wars over those Jeep trucks, paying as much as $20k over the sticker price. The smart money says to wait at least a year before jumping in, the excitement will have calmed down and the platform will have been washed through its first 20 or so recalls.

I've seen some Raptors selling over MSRP in the past, so I'm sure some dealerships will put a "market adjustment" on the new Bronco, while others will sell at MSRP.

In the case of the Gladiator, it did not take all that long to go from over MSRP, to MSRP, to under MSRP. I think the long, modular-looking Gladiator has a narrower appeal than the Bronco will.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Here is the package vs cost breakdown....

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/how-muc...rd-bronco-cost

That looks like they copied the information straight from the C&D link I posted!

The Broncos are expensive to begin with. Any idiot that gets in a bidding war over one is an idiot. But that will happen as they First Edition has a price that's doubled by options and exclusivity alone.

Tags
bronco, ford

2021 Ford Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2021 ford bronco - body possibilty? crawlerjunkie Paint and Body 6 05-26-2020 08:33 AM
1.9 '73 Ford Bronco Mr. Burpsalot 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 10-08-2009 09:39 AM
78 Ford Bronco 666 General Scale Talk 6 09-18-2008 08:40 PM
Ford Bronco zumzum5150 Videos! 1 08-28-2007 08:10 AM