Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Working on cars and being broke down prepared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Working on cars and being broke down prepared

Thanks guys, I’ve been lucky to have that thing. Twade, the pic was taken at ocotillo wells in anza-Borrego desert. I grew up going there and miss the heck out of it being up here in the pnw.
Topher, that’s a fiberglass hood. Pretty sure made by wild horses or one of those companies. Cutting the holes out up front seemed like a good idea but if I drive it in the rain I have to be mindful of the distributor.
Going from that being my dd until I was 23 to what I’m driving now is a drastic jump. But needless to say I don’t carry tools in my new ride for sake of reliability and roadside assistance lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #22
RCC Addict

My girlfriend has jumper cables, spare fluids, an electric tire pump, flashlights, gloves, and basic tools in her car. Some of these she had before I met her, 10 years ago this past August.

All that stuff takes up valuable trunk space, though. You have to keep in mind that most people will only use roadside repair tools a few times in their lives -- even including times they stop to help other stranded drivers -- whereas they can use the extra trunk space on a daily basis. Most people simply don't have the pervasive low-level anxiety that we "EDC" types have, and don't feel compelled to be constantly prepared for unusual circumstances. To most people, it's not a problem to wait a half-hour for a tow truck once a decade. (I, for one, haven't needed a tow truck since...2008? maybe 2007? Not even for flat tires, because my car notifies me of mismatched tire pressure long before the low tire starts to sag.) They can use their phone to call an expert, and the expert will take care of the problem and they can go on their way. No big deal to them. They might get ripped-off on the cost of repairs, but even then it probably works out to the same money that we spend on piles of tools to do things ourselves -- and they don't have to find a place to store the tools afterwards.

It's a matter of perspective, locale, and lifestyle. Civilization exists for the specific purpose of making sure people don't have to do everything themselves all the time, and most people are okay with that. That's their business.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 11-12-2020 at 08:07 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I keep 2 extra fan belts, extra rad hoses, extra 6’ of 5/8 heater hose, a big old ratchet set, a 3/4" drive ratchet, a 3/4" drive braking bar, 20’ heavy duty booster cables that I made myself to boost backhoes while parked behind the boom, a 3 ton floor jack, 2 CV axles, a alternator, a spare truck battery to swap or boost off of, and 2 spare tires.

I pack all this into my 2001 Ford F-150, I don’t keep much in the 2015 F-150 except safety gear/first aid gear.

Last edited by Alexander_0_1; 11-12-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Okay, well, you live in the middle of freaking nowhere, so that makes more sense. I was still going to question the sheer amount of spare rubber parts you carry until I saw your location and realized you probably snap fan belts on a regular basis in the winter. If I lived where you live, I'd probably just tow a whole spare truck on a trailer any time I had to go more than a day's walk from home, and switch them out every couple weeks so they both get regular use.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
If I lived where you live, I'd probably just tow a whole spare truck on a trailer any time I had to go more than a day's walk from home.
Brilliant!
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:22 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Meh I’ve worked on/tinkered with/rebuilt everything you could imagine over the years but I’m tired of it I guess. I have a warranty and AAA now, I don’t even carry jumper cables. Got tired of toting around a million tools and flares and crap I don’t use haha. These are different times man, you can’t touch someone’s things anymore. My luck I’d fry the pcm on a $80k soccer mom mobile just trying to jump them and get sued.

I do stop if someone appears to be stranded, I have never paid someone to change oil or brakes in my life (I’m not young). Part of the reason I got into this hobby was it’s cheaper than wrenching on 1:1. Don’t really care about the whole who can fix things deal though, that’s passed down generationally and it’s a dying art, I’ve accepted that. On the flip side young people are 100x more adept with technology, I’m a dinosaur, and that knowledge will serve them better than knowing how to spin a lug wrench in the long run. I think some of it is romanticized, just my .02...
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:21 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Seems being mechanically inclined is a dying thing theses days. No one wants go get their hands dirty. We get a few young guys in the shop from time to time. Most of them I'm not impressed with, but every now and them we get a young one that is promising. Even though I've been wreching a long time I still learn new things here and there and especially with the technology changing. I guess I'm just getting old.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:36 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Seems being mechanically inclined is a dying thing theses days. No one wants go get their hands dirty. We get a few young guys in the shop from time to time. Most of them I'm not impressed with, but every now and them we get a young one that is promising. Even though I've been wreching a long time I still learn new things here and there and especially with the technology changing. I guess I'm just getting old.
Yeah, unfortunately it does seem like it's dying.

Luckily my Dad is very mechanically inclined, which he has passed down to me.

It is sad to see more and more people taking there vehicles in instead of doing it themselves. Hell, when I had my Vic, I did stuff wrong for sure, but I learned from it. It's not hard to learn. Start with the basics like changing a tire or checking oil, and go from there.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Yeah, unfortunately it does seem like it's dying.

Luckily my Dad is very mechanically inclined, which he has passed down to me.

It is sad to see more and more people taking there vehicles in instead of doing it themselves. Hell, when I had my Vic, I did stuff wrong for sure, but I learned from it. It's not hard to learn. Start with the basics like changing a tire or checking oil, and go from there.
What are you going to do to a 2021 vehicle in your driveway? Pretty much an oil change, maybe brake pads. Not sure if you have shopped for 0w20 lately but it is cheaper for us to get it changed at JiffyLube than to buy the oil/filter for our Prius (I still do our Tahoe). Plus a lot of vehicles are using a cartridge filter that takes an adapter to get the filter housing out-they are easy to break...it’s just not the same anymore. Trust me people aren’t “doing stuff” to a vehicle that has a dozen sensors in every system. Your experience sounds like it is limited to an older model Ford, not really applicable to most cars people are buying these days. Plus no offense you are 14 years old, sounds like you’re just repeating something you’ve heard your Dad talk about.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #30
RCC Addict

I grew up working on my own cars. Couldn't afford a mechanic. Worked on and drag raced a 69 Chevy Nova in my late teens and early 20s. It's been over 20 years since I've truly "worked" on a car outside of basic maintenance. It's time.

I'm looking for a 69-71 Ford F100 shortbed pick-up truck with minimal rust to restore. Although the thought of dropping in a 302 Coyote crate motor at 560hp is enticing, it's also very expensive ($10k). I will be going the old school carburetor route with a 390 engine. Easier to work on.
It will be my weekend cruising, beat the snot out of it truck. The goal is 500+ hp, true dual 2 1/2" headers thru flow master exhaust, undecided on supercharger or turbo, and no nitros.
I'm not a hardcore Ford or Chevy guy, although I would love to get my hands on a 1948 Chevy pick-up, they're hard to come by if not already restored. I just like the body style of that era F100 and you can find them relatively cheap.
It will be a fun project I'm sure.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:02 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
What are you going to do to a 2021 vehicle in your driveway? Pretty much an oil change, maybe brake pads. Not sure if you have shopped for 0w20 lately but it is cheaper for us to get it changed at JiffyLube than to buy the oil/filter for our Prius (I still do our Tahoe). Plus a lot of vehicles are using a cartridge filter that takes an adapter to get the filter housing out-they are easy to break...it’s just not the same anymore. Trust me people aren’t “doing stuff” to a vehicle that has a dozen sensors in every system. Your experience sounds like it is limited to an older model Ford, not really applicable to most cars people are buying these days. Plus no offense you are 14 years old, sounds like you’re just repeating something you’ve heard your Dad talk about.
Exactly. When I had a '79 CJ-5 in my 20s, there wasn't much I wouldn't try and do before I sent it off to my mechanic. I used to joke that the engine bay was so roomy, I could just about do a complete re-build of the motor without even taking it out. Fast-forward to 2014... My wife had a 2011 Santa Fe. The serpentine belt was on the way out. I took one look in the engine bay and said "nope!". I could barely see the thing, let alone get my hands in to replace it. My Versa is the same way. Designers have been making more cabin room at the expense of trunk and engine bay room. You have to be a contortionist to get at some components. These days, about the only thing I will do is brakes as the engineers haven't found a way to make that experience miserable (yet).

As for oil changes, same thing. I'd rather pay $60 to have it done in 15 minutes than buy all the crap, jack the car up, do the work and then have to go to the dump and get rid of the oil. To add, modern synthetic oils go 10K between changes, so it's not like the old days when you were paying every 3K miles.

Last edited by skinnyj; 11-20-2020 at 07:06 AM.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Yep good point on intervals. We change the oil in our vehicles twice a year if that...since COVID (March) I’ve changed my Tahoe oil once just because I was bored. Also good observation on the motor oil...I have 4 (!) 5 gallon buckets full of motor oil, diff fluid, trans fluid from my old Suburban sitting in my garage and our disposal center only takes 5 gallons at a time. So it sits...until I have time to make 4 trips haha.

Don’t get me wrong I’m an old school dude with a gazillion tools, a workshop, welder/press and all of that crap, I mounted the 35” MTs on my last truck by hand with tire irons and a cheeta in my garage (stretched 12.5s on a 14” wide wheel) ...but none of my friends except those still building or into rods/mudding/motos are turning wrenches anymore, and they don’t touch their daily drivers. Not worth the time. I think the days of having your man card revoked for not changing oil are gone. Change is scary lol
Old 11-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I don’t care what year it is, I’m working on it myself. I’d rather know I did it right, and if I happen to mess up, know where I messed up.

I’ve worked on many vehicles(with my dad because they were his or my moms), most of them, being Powerstrokes. Some of them are 2011 Infiniti G37(sensors for days), 03 Silverado SS we used to have, 1999 F250 7.3, 2006 F350 6.0, 2011 F350 6.7, 2014 F150 5.0(again, a lot of sensors), the list goes on. I’m not limited to just older Fords, Ive done newer stuff as well. My Dad and I just changed out the whole front suspension of his F150 he has now. I’m not afraid to get dirty and work on my vehicles, 2020 or not.

I don’t have plans on getting a brand new 2020+ vehicle anyway because I like older trucks a lot better than the brand new ones. But if I did go brand new, I can guarantee I wouldn’t be scared to work on it.

My Dad and I recently bought a 94 Chevy 1500 that needed a transmission as another build for me and him to do. We ended up having to buy a second truck just to get a tranny. Anyways, we took the transmission out of the parts truck and put in the 1500. Fixed them both, sold them.

And no, I’m not just repeating something he said. That came from my mouth because that’s what I believe. And why does my age matter to so many people? Just because I’m 14 doesn’t mean I can’t get dirty and work on vehicles.

Maybe it’s just my mindset, but my vehicle is always going to be worked on by me, no matter what.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
I don’t care what year it is, I’m working on it myself. I’d rather know I did it right, and if I happen to mess up, know where I messed up.

I’ve worked on many vehicles(with my dad because they were his or my moms), most of them, being Powerstrokes. Some of them are 2011 Infiniti G37(sensors for days), 03 Silverado SS we used to have, 1999 F250 7.3, 2006 F350 6.0, 2011 F350 6.7, 2014 F150 5.0(again, a lot of sensors), the list goes on. I’m not limited to just older Fords, Ive done newer stuff as well. My Dad and I just changed out the whole front suspension of his F150 he has now. I’m not afraid to get dirty and work on my vehicles, 2020 or not.

I don’t have plans on getting a brand new 2020+ vehicle anyway because I like older trucks a lot better than the brand new ones. But if I did go brand new, I can guarantee I wouldn’t be scared to work on it.

My Dad and I recently bought a 94 Chevy 1500 that needed a transmission as another build for me and him to do. We ended up having to buy a second truck just to get a tranny. Anyways, we took the transmission out of the parts truck and put in the 1500. Fixed them both, sold them.

And no, I’m not just repeating something he said. That came from my mouth because that’s what I believe. And why does my age matter to so many people? Just because I’m 14 doesn’t mean I can’t get dirty and work on vehicles.

Maybe it’s just my mindset, but my vehicle is always going to be worked on by me, no matter what.

I don’t think you are old enough to have a mindset yet lol (don’t freak out, that is a joke, sort of). You will get the age comments one day...we all went through it. I’ve forgotten more about turning wrenches than you’ve learned so far, that gives me a different perspective. Trust me you’ll see it sooner or later, fixing your own car will be more of a hobby than a necessity by the time you are my age so you really won’t have a choice. It’s cool that you are into it, but most of my comments are just a feeble attempt to explain why more and more guys aren’t. Was chatting with a buddy of mine the other day and we made a bet on which of us would own an electric truck first. It’s coming no matter how much everyone hates the thought.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Default Working on cars and being broke down prepared

Quote:
I don’t think you are old enough to have a mindset yet lol (don’t freak out, that is a joke, sort of). You will get the age comments one day...we all went through it. I’ve forgotten more about turning wrenches than you’ve learned so far, that gives me a different perspective. Trust me you’ll see it sooner or later, fixing your own car will be more of a hobby than a necessity by the time you are my age so you really won’t have a choice. It’s cool that you are into it, but most of my comments are just a feeble attempt to explain why more and more guys aren’t. Was chatting with a buddy of mine the other day and we made a bet on which of us would own an electric truck first. It’s coming no matter how much everyone hates the thought.

Yeah, I understand your view for sure.

Unfortunately electric “trucks” are a thing. I’m more of a diesel guy rather than electric. I couldn’t drive something where I can’t even hear my engine lmao. There’s nothing better than going down the road and hearing that turbo diesel whistlin’ while pulling a heavy load

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-20-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:

I felt the same way, driving my ‘66 Bronco as a daily for over 5 years. Fast forward after working on cars for a living for 10 years I dread working on my own stuff.. don’t have the space to bring my Bronco to Oregon and I do a ton of traveling now so I bought a 17 Forester that I have no plans to work on. Hence why I spent an extra $1300 for a 7 year 100,000 mile extended service contract.. bumper to bumper with a $100 deductible. With all the special tools and scan tools involved to work on cars today.. I’ll pass. I’ll stick to getting paid to figure out new stuff for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fricker08; 11-20-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:14 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I understand your view for sure.

Unfortunately electric “trucks” are a thing. I’m more of a diesel guy rather than electric. I couldn’t drive something where I can’t even hear my engine lmao. There’s nothing better than going down the road and hearing that turbo diesel whistlin’ while pulling a heavy load
Electric motors produce maximum torque at zero RPM, which gives them better cargo-hauling capacity than diesel. You ought to know that being here on this forum; big motors operate on the same laws of physics as small motors. All the stuff with multi-ratio transmissions and turbochargers and whatnot are just workarounds to compensate for the limited powerband of all internal combustion engines, regardless of design. You don't need to rev-up an electric motor to get usable power out of it. Steam engines in the 1700s didn't have any of that extraneous stuff because they didn't need it -- in fact, they used direct-drive, no gear reduction at all -- and electric motors don't have any of that stuff because they don't need it either.

Internal combustion is very satisfying on a visceral level and will likely always exist in some form, at least in toys for hobbyists (I've got a box stuffed full of spare nitro engines), but arguing in favor of internal combustion for daily commuting is the wrong hill to die on for someone who doesn't even have a license yet. You're too young to be making a stand for something that was arguably outdated the day it was invented. (electric cars actually pre-date internal combustion cars, but internal-combustion cars won temporarily because fuel is more energy-dense than 120-year-old batteries.) I did the same thing when I was 14 in regards to rotary engines, which I thought were super cool and futuristic and other things that mattered to me back then. But eventually, after continuing to study the design for a couple more decades and after owning one for 9 years as an adult, I had to admit that the problems outweighed the benefits in real-world use, hence why piston engines are the norm.

The same is already happening with electric vehicles; when it comes to practicality, simple systems are more reliable and thus will always win in the long-term. It doesn't matter whether you're a tree-hugger or you pipe your diesel exhaust directly into the cabin so you can get stoned on it, because the decision won't be made based on people's aesthetic preferences. Internal combustion engines will eventually be reduced to the role of electrical-power generators for long-distance hauling -- if they aren't eliminated completely -- while the electric motors turn the wheels, because that is the most reliable and cost-efficient setup in the long-run. That's how a free-market economy works, after all.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 11-21-2020 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Electric motors produce maximum torque at zero RPM, which gives them better cargo-hauling capacity than diesel. You ought to know that being here on this forum; big motors operate on the same laws of physics as small motors. All the stuff with multi-ratio transmissions and turbochargers and whatnot are just workarounds to compensate for the limited powerband of all internal combustion engines, regardless of design. You don't need to rev-up an electric motor to get usable power out of it. Steam engines in the 1700s didn't have any of that extraneous stuff because they didn't need it -- in fact, they used direct-drive, no gear reduction at all -- and electric motors don't have any of that stuff because they don't need it either.

Internal combustion is very satisfying on a visceral level and will likely always exist in some form, at least in toys for hobbyists (I've got a box stuffed full of spare nitro engines), but arguing in favor of internal combustion for daily commuting is the wrong hill to die on for someone who doesn't even have a license yet. You're too young to be making a stand for something that was arguably outdated the day it was invented. (electric cars actually pre-date internal combustion cars, but internal-combustion cars won temporarily because fuel is more energy-dense than 120-year-old batteries.) I did the same thing when I was 14 in regards to rotary engines, which I thought were super cool and futuristic and other things that mattered to me back then. But eventually, after continuing to study the design for a couple more decades and after owning one for 9 years as an adult, I had to admit that the problems outweighed the benefits in real-world use, hence why piston engines are the norm.

The same is already happening with electric vehicles; when it comes to practicality, simple systems are more reliable and thus will always win in the long-term. It doesn't matter whether you're a tree-hugger or you pipe your diesel exhaust directly into the cabin so you can get stoned on it, because the decision won't be made based on people's aesthetic preferences. Internal combustion engines will eventually be reduced to the role of electrical-power generators for long-distance hauling -- if they aren't eliminated completely -- while the electric motors turn the wheels, because that is the most reliable and cost-efficient setup in the long-run. That's how a free-market economy works, after all.

Im confused on your point? I never said that diesel motors are better than electric performance wise, but they are WAYYY cooler than a car/truck with a big ol battery. As long as gas/diesels are around until I die, which I’m sure they will be, I’m cool.

I could never be behind the wheel of a 1:1 that has no sound. Never have, never will. I’ll always have a diesel/gas in the drive.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:55 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Im confused on your point? I never said that diesel motors are better than electric performance wise, but they are WAYYY cooler than a car/truck with a big ol battery. As long as gas/diesels are around until I die, which I’m sure they will be, I’m cool.

I could never be behind the wheel of a 1:1 that has no sound. Never have, never will. I’ll always have a diesel/gas in the drive.

You’re such a manly man
Old 12-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You’re such a manly man

Your point? It’s what I like, I see no problem in that at all.

I’m definitely not the only one who thinks this way.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 12-13-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Working on cars and being broke down prepared - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepared For The Trails Stomper Fan 777 General Scale Talk 3 01-12-2015 09:14 AM
wasnt someone working on a "Tater" scaler? (disney/pixar CARS) STANG KILLA SS General Scale Talk 5 05-07-2007 07:33 PM
Be prepared shortbusjeep Chit Chat 15 02-11-2006 04:14 PM