Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Working on cars and being broke down prepared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Working on cars and being broke down prepared

It amazes me how many people out there that drive on the road now days and have no sense about very simple things about how to work on a car. I'm not talking about the bigger jobs but simple things like how to change a flat tire, jumping a dead battery, changing light bulbs, changing wiper blades, etc. From the young to the old, men and women that have no clue how to do any of theses things.

The funny thing is I run into more women then men that are more willing how to figure these things out. Plus now days it seems that there are too many people out there that also dont carry a very basic tools in there car.

I figured out on my own how to start working on my own trucks when I started driving when i turned 16. I had no one to teach me how to work on cars. Being a mechanic for many many years you see lots of different things over the years. Myself I carry basic tools, jumper cables, battery pack, first aid kit, tow strap. If I go out on longer trips than a take a bunch more tools from my tool box and throw in a tool box bag. Just something on my mind tonight and thought I'd share.

If anyone cares to share if they work on their one cars or if you carry any tools in your cars would like to hear it.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Working on cars and being broke down prepared

I love working on cars. I bought my first at 12, a 2006 Crown Vic. It was my dream car. I picked her up for $500 at an auction. It was a retired sherif cruiser from Sunman Indiana. It needed a front clip, but I wasn’t worried about it. The only 2 people that helped me on it was my dad and my grandpa. My dad and I did the front clip together, and my grandpa and I sprayed the header panel to match. I ended up selling it for a nice $2700 at 14 since we decided to move to Hawaii from Indy. I loved that car. I still love it to this day.

I seen it for sale on FB the other day for $1700. It was all beat up, and needed a tranny. It broke my heart to see that car all torn up. If I was in Indy, I would’ve bought it and “restored” it back to how it was when I had it.

I had only seen the car in pictures until the day the auction let us take it.

Here’s a few before/during/after pictures.

Before. We put the stang wheels on it, it came with steelies.

During. This is the header panel my grandpa and I sprayed.

After. I’m thankful I sold it though, because that night I sold the Vic, we ran down to the hobby store at like 9pm and I bought my TRX4. First crawler I’ve ever had, and definitely not the last.

List of every part we put on:
Core support
Header panel
Headlights
Grille
Bumper cover
Hood
Mustang bullet wheels
Battery
Coil packs

List of other things done:
Took out all police wiring
Rewired headlights and taillights
Fixed truck latch
Fixed driver door lock
Fixed more wiring issues that would cause the motor to short out and shut off if you hit big enough bumps
Cluster panel wiring issues

Yeah, a lot of wiring issues. Mainly because whoever took the police equipment out, it looked like they just yanked until it all came loose.

my grandpa runs a car lot and has a license to the IAA. I thank him for buying the car from the auction and yes I paid him back, and even tipped him. And he also did all the title work to get it street legal. I thank him for that also.

I thank my dad for helping me with it, even though there were times we would get mad at each other, it all came together in the end.

And lastly I thank Kurt at K&R tool shed for loaning a trailer to me for free to get the Vic back home.

And yes, I drove it before I let go of her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-11-2020 at 10:33 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I’ve been into the mechanical side of things my whole life, tearing my bikes apart just for fun, rc cars at an early age, and it ran in the family. My old man has worked at a dealership my whole life selling parts and my grandpa was a mechanic also. I helped my dad with an engine swap at age 11 took possession of his ‘66 Bronco at 13 and been in a shop since I was 15, but I’ve been a professional tech for GM for the last 10 years or so.
It’s unreal some of the stuff people bring their cars in for. Granted in the last 10 years the technology has jumped miles.
But even self inflicted stuff and they’re just oblivious.
What is really devastating is, high school auto shops. When I was a freshman, I couldn’t wait for it. Biggest letdown of my schooling.
They should really make that class a requirement and base it on real life. Teach people to change their oil, do proper maintenance on the cars as well as simple repairs. The main focus at mine was brakes and tires. Like you’re going to use a tire machine at home in real life.. shoot now our tire machine does everything for you.
They had some ok programs but it filled kids with empty hopes in my opinion. You’re meant to work in a shop or you’re not and these kids would do great in the book side so they would send them to shops including mine. The kids would get excited when they learned I went to the same school then would be shattered when I told them I didn’t go through the same program as them I was just wired to work on cars and got asked to come work there.

I never leave for a long trip without a set of tools in my car but I’m lucky enough to know how to use them. It’s unfortunate 98% of the population couldn’t do the simplest of tasks with the same tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:06 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I grew up working on farm equipment and learning how to do just about everything related to automotive repair. It was just something that a man had to know. Youtube/ internet didn't exist so you relied upon family, friends, and neighbors to teach you. The junkyard and auto-shop was your guidebook and you spent your money on wrenches and brake rotors... not Starbucks and smart-phones. Bloody greasy knuckles weren't a badge of honor. They were just something that you tried to hide from your date after you got that heap running and were fortunate enough to have a couple dollars left for a movie and a milkshake.

So yeah... I carry everything that I need in order to get myself back on the road... tools, cables, first-aid, water, fluids, etc. Screw waiting on roadside service or rolling the dice at a stealership ( aside from some bigger jobs now that I'm not Superman anymore). Getting old sucks.

As for my wife... she was a girly-girl when we met and although I like that soft side, I also made sure that she wouldn't wind up a victim on the side of the road. I taught her all the basics and then some. And I have occasionally "tested" her on things. After a couple years she became proficient enough to safely and knowledgeably change a tire, check all fluids including t-case and trans, how to safely conduct herself if broken down on the hwy, how to handle a blow-out, how to check tire pressure and use a compressor, as well as many other auto-related duties.

On top of that, I've taught her how to effectively administer first aid, start a fire/ extinguish a fire, operate a chainsaw/ circular saw/ hi-lift/ drill-press, etc, etc, etc. I've also got her shooting proficiently at the range and understanding gun-safety. The list goes on and on. To say that I'm proud is an absolute understatement.

First pic of my wife was taken the day that we got married. She was still new to being independent... still completely lost when it came to all the things that I mentioned. The pic after that is her extracting a decomposing rat from the firewall of my Jeep. My big arms couldn't get in there so she told me and my buddy to step aside... haha.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I used to, but at 49, my hands, back and knees don't like that activity anymore. I built a 12 x 12 deck back in May and my right shoulder is still a little jacked up from the hammering. Also, the way engines are crammed into cars these days, you need to be a contortionist to do even the most basic repairs. I still do things like brakes and plugs, but that's about it.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

HPD she’s a beaut! That space looks darn tight too.

When I was growing up my dad always had a garage full of tools. He’s a an engineer, but for telecommunications and I can’t remember him ever doing much more than using screw drivers to open the battery compartments of our toys.

My brothers and I took full advantage of the tools though. Started with just working on our bicycles and roller blades (for hockey) for maintenance but once I got a car I started to see what I could on my own since I was on a teenager/20 year old budget. I didn’t do anything too crazy but with the help of the internet I was able to do things like an intake, throttle body, underdrive pulleys, replace the brakes, sway bar, change the headlights, side markers, mirrors, and lowering springs (with a friend’s help).

Here’s the old heap, first car I paid for. Found this pic online last week when my friends were talking about our old cars. I miss having a $200 payment although back then it seemed like a lot. Check out the blockbuster in the background, vintage 00s haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
I used to, but at 49, my hands, back and knees don't like that activity anymore. I built a 12 x 12 deck back in May and my right shoulder is still a little jacked up from the hammering. Also, the way engines are crammed into cars these days, you need to be a contortionist to do even the most basic repairs. I still do things like brakes and plugs, but that's about it.
This. Aside from not having a garage anymore, I don’t miss the bloody knuckles and rolling around on the ground. I paid a shop to install an intake in my new car just to save the trouble. In the new car the front splash guard needs to get dropped to access the lower part of the air box, and pulling the stock air box out tedious. It was worth the $60 to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 11-11-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
When I was growing up my dad always had a garage full of tools. He’s a an engineer, but for telecommunications...
Mine too.

However, my father was doing a lot of minor & medium work into his 40s. I'm guessing he ran into the same things as I did: time, hassles and body pains.

I do remember him replacing the engine in my mother's Audi Fox when I was very young (1970s) and he replaced the engine in an MG he had before that.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
I’ve been into the mechanical side of things my whole life, tearing my bikes apart just for fun, rc cars at an early age, and it ran in the family. My old man has worked at a dealership my whole life selling parts and my grandpa was a mechanic also. I helped my dad with an engine swap at age 11 took possession of his ‘66 Bronco at 13 and been in a shop since I was 15, but I’ve been a professional tech for GM for the last 10 years or so.
It’s unreal some of the stuff people bring their cars in for. Granted in the last 10 years the technology has jumped miles.
But even self inflicted stuff and they’re just oblivious.
What is really devastating is, high school auto shops. When I was a freshman, I couldn’t wait for it. Biggest letdown of my schooling.
They should really make that class a requirement and base it on real life. Teach people to change their oil, do proper maintenance on the cars as well as simple repairs. The main focus at mine was brakes and tires. Like you’re going to use a tire machine at home in real life.. shoot now our tire machine does everything for you.
They had some ok programs but it filled kids with empty hopes in my opinion. You’re meant to work in a shop or you’re not and these kids would do great in the book side so they would send them to shops including mine. The kids would get excited when they learned I went to the same school then would be shattered when I told them I didn’t go through the same program as them I was just wired to work on cars and got asked to come work there.

I never leave for a long trip without a set of tools in my car but I’m lucky enough to know how to use them. It’s unfortunate 98% of the population couldn’t do the simplest of tasks with the same tools.

I love the 1st gen broncos. Pretty awesome to have one at 13. Do you still have it?

I'm in freshmen auto class and were focusing on Welding, cutting and how to read a tape measure. I too am surprised we aren't doing the basics that you need to do in your everyday life.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

When I was growing up my dad always had a garage full of tools. He’s a an engineer, but for telecommunications and I can’t remember him ever doing much more than using screw drivers to open the battery compartments of our toys.

My brothers and I took full advantage of the tools though. Started with just working on our bicycles and roller blades (for hockey) for maintenance but once I got a car I started to see what I could on my own since I was on a teenager/20 year old budget. I didn’t do anything too crazy but with the help of the internet I was able to do things like an intake, throttle body, underdrive pulleys, replace the brakes, sway bar, change the headlights, side markers, mirrors, and lowering springs (with a friend’s help).

Here’s the old heap, first car I paid for. Found this pic online last week when my friends were talking about our old cars. I miss having a $200 payment although back then it seemed like a lot. Check out the blockbuster in the background, vintage 00s haha

This. Aside from not having a garage anymore, I don’t miss the bloody knuckles and rolling around on the ground. I paid a shop to install an intake in my new car just to save the trouble. In the new car the front splash guard needs to get dropped to access the lower part of the air box, and pulling the stock air box out tedious. It was worth the $60 to me.
I bet you was really proud of the ol Focus! Its pretty clean, id roll it
Old 11-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I love the 1st gen broncos. Pretty awesome to have one at 13. Do you still have it?

I'm in freshmen auto class and were focusing on Welding, cutting and how to read a tape measure. I too am surprised we aren't doing the basics that you need to do in your everyday life.

Yea my school ditched metal shop for wood shop.. which I also took. But I took a small engines class that was far more influential than auto shop. That class we rebuilt 2.5hp engines, ran oxyacetylene torch and stick welders.
That I do, they’ll bury me in it. Needs some love though

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I bet you was really proud of the ol Focus! Its pretty clean, id roll it
Haha thanks. I liked it enough, was slow as hell but fun for me at that age, it was a manual at least. Had it from 18-22 and learned a lot with it.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 11-11-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:58 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks, man. Yeah... that varmint had managed to wedge itself into a hole in the ventilation duct before expiring. Took a great deal of twisting and bone breaking to get it out in one piece. Without my wife's help, I'm afraid that carcass would still be in there lol.

BTW- That's not a bad first car. Mine was a '77 Pinto wagon.. white with blue interior and wire-spoke wheels and rocking a Kraco in-dash tape player lol. Very nearly died in that thing after taking it over a cliff and into a river.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Thanks, man. Yeah... that varmint had managed to wedge itself into a hole in the ventilation duct before expiring. Took a great deal of twisting and bone breaking to get it out in one piece. Without my wife's help, I'm afraid that carcass would still be in there lol.

BTW- That's not a bad first car. Mine was a '77 Pinto wagon.. white with blue interior and wire-spoke wheels and rocking a Kraco in-dash tape player lol. Very nearly died in that thing after taking it over a cliff and into a river.
Haha dang man, why’d you go all Thelma and Louise in it? Glad you’re okay!

My first car was actually a 72 el dorado. It was siiiiick. Still had the 8 track player. Nice 5.7L fuel injected V8 too. I loved it. But the fam sold that and I ended up buying the little fofo (in my parents name) after driving around their automatic zx3 they had for a bit.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Haha dang man, why’d you go all Thelma and Louise in it? Glad you’re okay!

My first car was actually a 72 el dorado. It was siiiiick. Still had the 8 track player. Nice 5.7L fuel injected V8 too. I loved it. But the fam sold that and I ended up buying the little fofo (in my parents name) after driving around their automatic zx3 they had for a bit.
Man... 365 hp! I love land-yachts and that one was a real monster... sweet-looking as well. Shortly after the Pinto, I had a '71 Impala that floated down the road like a battleship... built like a one too.

So... was driving less than a mile from my moms to my dads house. Winter time in Ohio... going way too fast around a curve and started sliding. Tried to straighten it up and that was it... over-corrected and went off the shoulder backwards. Soared through the tree tops and landed upside down in the river. I remember that one of the tree-limbs had gone right through the hatchback window and impaled the back of the front passenger seat. Just gonna say... not fun times lol.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Nice ride man. Where was that picture taken? Looks a lot like my home range.

Like a lot of you, I learned how to work in my cars out of necessity. My dad would help when he could, but usually just said here’s the manual, figure it out.

Fast forward, I’ve been a technician for 10 years now, first at an independent shop, then a Hyundai dealer, and now 6 years at Ford. That’s still pretty much how I work on anything. Often encountering problems on new systems I didn’t even know cars had. Read the workshop manual, and figure it out.

I keep the factory tire changing tools and that’s about it. I’ve got roadside assistance, and I’m not working on the side of the road anyway. My daily is a turd; so I might just leave it wherever it breaks down.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:08 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Haha thanks. I liked it enough, was slow as hell but fun for me at that age, it was a manual at least. Had it from 18-22 and learned a lot with it.

A stick is always fun no matter what! My personal favorite is in a diesel, but it’s fun in gassers too.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:11 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yea my school ditched metal shop for wood shop.. which I also took. But I took a small engines class that was far more influential than auto shop. That class we rebuilt 2.5hp engines, ran oxyacetylene torch and stick welders.

That looks like a fun time! You should make a make a crawler replica of it!

Old 11-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

Yeah Fricker that bronco is sweet! Haven’t seen one with a hood like that before.

@HPD that sounds like some final destination kind of stuff, scary
Old 11-12-2020, 07:36 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I had the exact same Focus, mine must have been the most base model you could get since it still had manual locks and windows in 2000.

I also did the air intake and a few other of the same mods but being a broke college student seriously hampered my grand plans. Managed to scrape together enough money to throw 500W of Pioneer subwoofers in the trunk because that is what you do when you are young and dumb. It was so awesome when you don’t think too much about the fact it was a 0 star safety rated death trap.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #20

I worked my way through school at a service station. So I learned quite a bit about repairs and maintenance, which I am grateful for. But I must admit I don't carry any tools with me other than the tire change kit that comes with the vehicle. I think the modern automotive world has spoiled me with reliability, or I've just been really lucky.
Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Working on cars and being broke down prepared - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepared For The Trails Stomper Fan 777 General Scale Talk 3 01-12-2015 09:14 AM
wasnt someone working on a "Tater" scaler? (disney/pixar CARS) STANG KILLA SS General Scale Talk 5 05-07-2007 07:33 PM
Be prepared shortbusjeep Chit Chat 15 02-11-2006 04:14 PM