Notices

Thread: Student Debt Forgiveness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Student Debt Forgiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
complete and utter BS...where are the facts??

These are not from right wing publications. Germany has never lived up to its obligations to spend 2% of GDP on their defense budget as a NATO member. This rule was put in place by NATO to stop freeloading on other NATO members.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...wont-be-happy/

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/14/p...get/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKBN1K21Q5
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
complete and utter BS...where are the facts??

U.S. President Donald Trump has called on NATO member states to reach the target sooner. Aside from the United States, which spends about 3.5 percent of GDP on defense, only Britain, Poland, Greece and Estonia currently meet the target.

Reuter’s........

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The only problem I see here is that your bosses want to pay 60k a year (which I highly doubt) to a bimbo with zero experience .

Another great(scott) story
Keepit coming
Well, looks like we have found common ground. Yes, she was hired more or less because she went to school at U of I, the same college as the director of the base. And yes, 100% bimbo.

I don't know exactly number, but it is quite a bit less than 60k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
The education itself should be free (more or less), so that students don't need to pay that much/take up too big loans in the first place.

The jobs of the future will require a lot of schooling.

Every time we blink an eye, a million Chinese students graduate with a physics' degree from some state funded university.

Then it's not right that we force young people in the Western world into debt. They are the ones who will sustain our lifestyle in the future.

My fear is that in a generation from now, western people will be very good at washing tables, while the Chinese are exploring space all by themselves.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
I have to disagree with just about everything here. A good number of jobs in the future will require advance degrees, but the core workforce will not need those degrees. No matter how "advanced" we get, we'll still need electricians, plumbers, carpenters, and other skilled workers that only need to go to a trade school, or go into an apprentice program where they get paid for their OJT and certifications. In fact, if we did pay for education, I would be very agreeable to paying for trade schools, vs degree programs (yeah, I am a fan of Mike Rowe)

I can see offering free education in areas of critical need. If the workforce showed a projected critical need for more mechanical engineers, or perhaps epidemiologist, we could have a program in place to pay for education in the field until the work force is balance out.

However, never, ever, ever, ever should we be paying for liberal arts degrees.... NEVER! If some misguided soul wants to get a degree in French Renaissance paintings, they can do so on their own dime.

Last edited by Greatscott; 11-23-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #104
Rock Crawler

Some type of stimulus is very likely to happen in the near future. While I think direct payments to everyone who filed taxes is what I would prefer to see, I think student loan forgiveness would be better than giving it directly to the big corporations (banks, auto industry, etc...). And this is coming from someone who only has about $4k left on about $35k in student loans...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

You sign on the dotted line then you pay it back. Anyone that has a hardship through no fault of their own should have an assistance program in place to help them along.

Too many young people have stars in their eyes seeing dollar bills raining from the heavens for their $100k 4 year degree in underwater basket weaving but reality is right there ready to bitch slap them after they get that worthless piece of paper. The world needs ditch diggers too, ain't no shame in puting in an honest days work for an honest days pay at all but so many think the college route will be easier and pay better. Unfortunately reality has a different outlook on things.

In my line of work a $5k CDL license through a school can get you a $100k a year local job with killer benefits once you've out in a couple years driving in the real world. It isn't glamorous and the title won't make the people from high school jealous when they read it in your profile on bookface but it's a damned good living around here and little debt required to do it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
You sign on the dotted line then you pay it back. Anyone that has a hardship through no fault of their own should have an assistance program in place to help them along.

Too many young people have stars in their eyes seeing dollar bills raining from the heavens for their $100k 4 year degree in underwater basket weaving but reality is right there ready to bitch slap them after they get that worthless piece of paper. The world needs ditch diggers too, ain't no shame in puting in an honest days work for an honest days pay at all but so many think the college route will be easier and pay better. Unfortunately reality has a different outlook on things.

In my line of work a $5k CDL license through a school can get you a $100k a year local job with killer benefits once you've out in a couple years driving in the real world. It isn't glamorous and the title won't make the people from high school jealous when they read it in your profile on bookface but it's a damned good living around here and little debt required to do it.
Yeah, we definitely need to get away from the "you have to go to college to be successful" bullshit. Fell for it myself honestly. I have an Associate's in Automotive Technology that has never once landed me a job since I finished the program almost 15 years ago.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #107
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

$100k local driver with a couple years behind the wheel? I think that’s a ‘slight’ exaggeration. I drove a truck for a long ass time and had to absolutely hustle OTR to see anywhere near that kind of money. Even with my own truck I had to hustle and that’s with 15 years behind the wheel. And I paid nowhere close to $5k for a CDL, you don’t have to go to school for it in FL. Just study and take the test. The schools are just for bottom feeder companies to fill seats. The biggest one in Jax is basically run by CRST, the other one is a US Express feeder. I made damn good money driving a truck but quit when I realized I was missing my kids growing up. I’m still in transportation but with a degree and making more money/better benefits/less drama Driving, especially OTR is a good career but ain’t for everyone.

Last edited by Phildirt; 11-22-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
Yeah, we definitely need to get away from the "you have to go to college to be successful" bullshit. Fell for it myself honestly. I have an Associate's in Automotive Technology that has never once landed me a job since I finished the program almost 15 years ago.

That's a giant part of the problem in itself, the stigma surrounding not going to college is absurd at best. If you want to succeed in a shorter timeline go to a tech school after doing a bit of research on the job need and availability.

One of my older cousins was grilling my nieces and nephew about where they were going to go to college because college is important and required! She did not like my reply as I was standing next to them. Their dad makes 6 figures with killer bennies and no degree and she scoffed saying that was rare. No bish, that's hard work and determination.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
$100k local driver with a couple years behind the wheel? I think that’s a ‘slight’ exaggeration. I drove a truck for a long ass time and had to absolutely hustle OTR to see anywhere near that kind of money. Even with my own truck I had to hustle and that’s with 15 years behind the wheel. And I paid nowhere close to $5k for a CDL, you don’t have to go to school for it in FL. Just study and take the test. The schools are just for bottom feeder companies to fill seats. The biggest one in Jax is basically run by CRST, the other one is a US Express feeder. I made damn good money driving a truck but quit when I realized I was missing my kids growing up. I’m still in transportation but with a degree and making more money/better benefits/less drama Driving, especially OTR is a good career but ain’t for everyone.

WA requires school and there are very few companies that will hire a driver without either an accredited school behind your cdl or 2 years experience.

OTR sucks but it gets real experience. Been there, done that. I now work 4-10's 25 miles from home great bennies $70k is minimum wage at my work and running a little OT here and there gets you 6 figures very easily. Rare but fully possible.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
However, never, ever, ever, ever should we be paying for liberal arts degrees.... NEVER! If some misguided soul wants to get a degree in French Renaissance paintings, they can do so on their own dime.
Hahaha :') I agree with that. If I had it my way, if you sign up for certain studies like that, you shouldn't just pay a fee, but also a fine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:51 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
Hahaha :') I agree with that. If I had it my way, if you sign up for certain studies like that, you shouldn't just pay a fee, but also a fine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
OMG, that is funny, 100% agree!
Old 11-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #112

Talking Re: Student Debt Forgiveness

How about instead of rewarding poor choices in life by paying off student debt, they get a tiny bit logical with the situation.

Just say John/Jane Doe leave the eduction system with a $50k debt.

Since their departure, the debt has considerably increased itself due to interest, fines, debt swap/sales etc... and it could potentially now be $80k, $100k or even tripled at $150k.

Perhaps the government instead of making all of us hard working citizens pay for others short-comings and poor decisions, perhaps they put a little effort and thought into things.

Maybe, just maybe.... pick a universal start date ... say June 1st 2021 and ALL student loans are set back to original debt at date the individual left the educational system.
Taking the above John/Jane Doe’s debt back to its original $50k

Now with that rollback the individuals in debt now MUST begin a minimum monthly payment of a certain percentage of their weekly income, NO exceptions, no excuses, no attempts to piss & moan how unfair it is they now have to start giving over 10% or any % of their income over to their debt owed.

In turn, there is ZERO grace periods or extensions given for any circumstances. They begin paying at the universal percentage of their income on their locked in original debt and continue paying each month until debt is dissolved.
If their income goes up during that time, their payments in turn go up.
If their income goes down below the start amount on June 1st, 2021, then they are still responsible to meet that same payment... (full incentive to remain gainfully employed).

If they fall behind in payments more then 30 days, then their debt amount instantly returns to the original full amount previous to the June st, 2021 debt forgiveness set-back.
This would surely keep the individuals with common sense and gratitude for what they’ve been gifted very strong incentive to pay their bills they signed on the dotted line and agreed to!!

With all this, there should be a higher percentage payback rate for individuals that have chosen to “ride the system” and be “career students” with never attempting to put their degrees to use in a regular daily job and instead continue to ride the welfare bus through school year after year, consuming grant after grant that would normally be available to upcoming students who genuinely want to learn, get a degree and get to work.

Set things back to original debt
Put strict guidelines on repayment schedule
Set them right back to FULL DEBT if they choose to not stick with the program gifted to them.

But full 100% debt forgiveness?????
No freeking way! If 100% debt forgiveness is done, the person should have their skin permanently dyed BLUE so everyone can know who they are dealing with in life
THX_138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #113
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post

No freeking way! If 100% debt forgiveness is done, the person should have their skin permanently dyed BLUE so everyone can know who they are dealing with in life
So if the last few thousand of my debt gets knocked off (I've paid down most of it), I should be permanently branded? **** that. Especially since it's not like I have any control over the situation...

Old 11-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Default Student Debt Forgiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
So if the last few thousand of my debt gets knocked off (I've paid down most of it), I should be permanently branded? **** that. Especially since it's not like I have any control over the situation...

Last few thousand is not close to the whole loan....... (100% debt forgiveness)........carry on

Hang up and Drive
Old 11-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
How about instead of rewarding poor choices in life by paying off student debt, they get a tiny bit logical with the situation.

Just say John/Jane Doe leave the eduction system with a $50k debt.

Since their departure, the debt has considerably increased itself due to interest, fines, debt swap/sales etc... and it could potentially now be $80k, $100k or even tripled at $150k.

Perhaps the government instead of making all of us hard working citizens pay for others short-comings and poor decisions, perhaps they put a little effort and thought into things.

Maybe, just maybe.... pick a universal start date ... say June 1st 2021 and ALL student loans are set back to original debt at date the individual left the educational system.
Taking the above John/Jane Doe’s debt back to its original $50k

Now with that rollback the individuals in debt now MUST begin a minimum monthly payment of a certain percentage of their weekly income, NO exceptions, no excuses, no attempts to piss & moan how unfair it is they now have to start giving over 10% or any % of their income over to their debt owed.

In turn, there is ZERO grace periods or extensions given for any circumstances. They begin paying at the universal percentage of their income on their locked in original debt and continue paying each month until debt is dissolved.
If their income goes up during that time, their payments in turn go up.
If their income goes down below the start amount on June 1st, 2021, then they are still responsible to meet that same payment... (full incentive to remain gainfully employed).

If they fall behind in payments more then 30 days, then their debt amount instantly returns to the original full amount previous to the June st, 2021 debt forgiveness set-back.
This would surely keep the individuals with common sense and gratitude for what they’ve been gifted very strong incentive to pay their bills they signed on the dotted line and agreed to!!

With all this, there should be a higher percentage payback rate for individuals that have chosen to “ride the system” and be “career students” with never attempting to put their degrees to use in a regular daily job and instead continue to ride the welfare bus through school year after year, consuming grant after grant that would normally be available to upcoming students who genuinely want to learn, get a degree and get to work.

Set things back to original debt
Put strict guidelines on repayment schedule
Set them right back to FULL DEBT if they choose to not stick with the program gifted to them.

Here’s what Australia started 30 years ago and might be helpful for a starting point, not only for those who are out of school up to their scalps in debt, but current and future college students too.

https://studentloanhero.com/featured...ans-australia/

My thoughts is to use that as a guideline, if we wipe any debt out, we should start with the fees that get tacked on from loan debt sales like happened to Panther and make such actions illegal going forward. Also rewrite the loans for a more reasonable interest rate that gets locked for the life of the loan. Finally, make the loan payment for these debts tied to paychecks, much like Medicare, so it comes out before income tax does with it starting at 1% for low income and part time jobs (instead of at $26k Aus/$33k U.S. like Australia does) then working up in percentage to 10% as income rises until the loan is paid for. I don’t agree with adding the full balance back with one slip up, branding a person be it financially or physically for this, as shit happens......as 2020 has been hitting the world with, all damned year long.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Here’s what Australia started 30 years ago and might be helpful for a starting point, not only for those who are out of school up to their scalps in debt, but current and future college students too.

https://studentloanhero.com/featured...ans-australia/

My thoughts is to use that as a guideline, if we wipe any debt out, we should start with the fees that get tacked on from loan debt sales like happened to Panther and make such actions illegal going forward. Also rewrite the loans for a more reasonable interest rate that gets locked for the life of the loan. Finally, make the loan payment for these debts tied to paychecks, much like Medicare, so it comes out before income tax does with it starting at 1% for low income and part time jobs (instead of at $26k Aus/$33k U.S. like Australia does) then working up in percentage to 10% as income rises until the loan is paid for. I don’t agree with adding the full balance back with one slip up, branding a person be it financially or physically for this, as shit happens......as 2020 has been hitting the world with, all damned year long.
The SMURF paint job was just levity on the end of my rant.

Can you imagine a government actually dying peoples skin permanently for wrong doing????
THX_138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #117
Rock Stacker

Oh boy a bunch of boomers complaining about young people going to college when they paid what amounts to 5 chicken sandwiches for their education. Student loans are 100% predatory. How do I afford dental school thats 80k a year-ish (state school) without an 8% student loan?
Killz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killz View Post
Oh boy a bunch of boomers complaining about young people going to college when they paid what amounts to 5 chicken sandwiches for their education. Student loans are 100% predatory. How do I afford dental school thats 80k a year-ish (state school) without an 8% student loan?
It sounds like it isn't affordable... Sounds like the whole system, just like healthcare, needs to be fixed.

It isn't just the Boomers, it isn't just us Gen-Xs, but there are a healthy number of millennials that really don't want our tax money to pay off people's terrible choices.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Default Student Debt Forgiveness

Quote:

Find a sponsor, and get an apprenticeship, from an established group looking into the future. They pay the education $$, get PR, and get you “cheaper “for 6 years after. Nurse Practitioners seems to be leading In that area.
My daughter wants to progress into specialty nursing or NP depending on which package works better for her. As an experienced ICU RN they want her skills as they are a teaching Hospital ...... So she is in “negotiations”

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 11-29-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Don't want to deal with predatory loans then find a career that doesn't require such loans. Don't tell me nobody can make a living without college either, that's some millennial bs line from the moron playbook if there ever was one. College is seriously over rated in probably 60% of cases anyway.

Student Debt Forgiveness - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our country in debt? hotrodsonoma Chit Chat 13 08-06-2014 01:40 PM
Paying off a debt.... The Rebuild!!! Chaotic Crawlers EnRoute Berg 33 11-17-2013 12:07 AM
U.S. debt.kleptocracy CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 205 05-20-2012 10:11 AM
Christmas debt... braceysdad Chit Chat 44 12-27-2009 05:37 PM
debt collectors. lmao ctrwannabe Chit Chat 20 11-12-2008 12:19 AM