Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: RC Project Spend Tracker - Excel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #1

Default RC Project Spend Tracker - Excel

Hey everyone. Wasn't sure where to post, so I thought this would be a good place.

So, I'm a nerd and like to build Excel sheets to track all sorts of non-productive information; Madden stats, running stats, NCAA Football 2014 stats, etc. I do a good job of managing family budget as well, and do extensive work in Excel for my job also.

I'm about to start building a short course/stadium truck track on a portion of some unused property we have (~90 acres total - plan on starting to layout this weekend with with and cousin, weather pending). At the time of this post, I do not yet have a truck. Need to wait until after the first of the year budget wise. So I thought I would try to build a spend tracker in Excel - for fun - to help keep track of spending on the new truck. Which areas cost me the most, how many parts I have went through, yadda yadda yadda.

I want to break into categories, sub-categories, etc. I was thinking categories like Body would have sub-categories like paint, stickers, new bodies. Chassis would have sub-categories (idk what would/can attribute to the chassis - skid plates??). Suspension would have sub-categories like shocks, springs, a-arms. Just an idea of where I am trying to go with this to keep it short.

My question is has anyone ever done something like this before? If so, what categories did you use? How did you break everything up? Would you mind sharing your ideas?

Thanks!
PounceTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC Project Spend Tracker - Excel

No, I don’t want to know, even though I’m single and don’t have to worry about the “What she don’t know won’t hurt me!” Side of things!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I don't really track costs but I do keep a spreadsheet listing all the parts I use on a build.

For example, I'll list the motor pinion and trans spur gear number of teeth, whether overdrive or underdrive axle gears were used, what weight shock oil front/back, mostly stuff that you have to tear things apart to check if it isn't recorded.

I also make a lot of my own parts, I'll record the lengths of metal links I make and what rod ends I used. I use CADD software to draw up more complicated parts I machine so I can replicate them easily if needed. I still machine some of my parts but 3D printed parts are taking over a lot of items I used to machine. So now I'm adding those to the list for each RC.

I'm cost conscious but more related to the higher $ parts than the nuts and bolts.

When I'm done I think my guestimate of cost would be +/-$50 of actual.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
No, I don’t want to know, even though I’m single and don’t have to worry about the “What she don’t know won’t hurt me!” Side of things!
LOL! Same here, but the creative nerd in me comes out (which is rare, so I take advantage of it when I catch it) If I can figure out how to share a screenshot, I'll share what I have so far.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
I don't really track costs but I do keep a spreadsheet listing all the parts I use on a build.

For example, I'll list the motor pinion and trans spur gear number of teeth, whether overdrive or underdrive axle gears were used, what weight shock oil front/back, mostly stuff that you have to tear things apart to check if it isn't recorded.

I also make a lot of my own parts, I'll record the lengths of metal links I make and what rod ends I used. I use CADD software to draw up more complicated parts I machine so I can replicate them easily if needed. I still machine some of my parts but 3D printed parts are taking over a lot of items I used to machine. So now I'm adding those to the list for each RC.

I'm cost conscious but more related to the higher $ parts than the nuts and bolts.

When I'm done I think my guestimate of cost would be +/-$50 of actual.
That's really cool! How do the 3D parts hold up? Or rather what kinds of 3D parts do you make?

When I was younger my dad would machine some aluminum parts for an older HPI RS4. Was pretty neat. What are you using to machine your parts?

That's a pretty good guess. I guess that also comes with experience dealing with the pricing points too.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #6

So I got bored and created a neat chart.

Name:  Chart01.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  45.9 KB

I made a few lists for Category and Sub Category that change based on what I select.

Name:  Chart02.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  47.4 KB

Based on the Category, I have a Sub Category list.

Name:  Chart03.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  48.5 KB

I did something similar with Sub Category spending.

Name:  Chart04.png
Views: 199
Size:  20.1 KB

Changing the selection will show the different Sub Categories and how much is spent in each. I haven't added a sort by function for that yet.

Name:  Chart05.png
Views: 191
Size:  15.8 KB

These are my Categories and Sub Categories. I'm sure this will change as I start buying and replacing more stuff.

Name:  Chart06.png
Views: 170
Size:  6.0 KB

Edit: All of the data is made up to make sure everything works. (dates, prices, etc.)

Last edited by PounceTheBear; 12-11-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Adding context.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PounceTheBear View Post
That's really cool! How do the 3D parts hold up? Or rather what kinds of 3D parts do you make?

When I was younger my dad would machine some aluminum parts for an older HPI RS4. Was pretty neat. What are you using to machine your parts?

That's a pretty good guess. I guess that also comes with experience dealing with the pricing points too.
I've only had the 3D printer for about 3 months and RC parts printed have been minimal. I'm using PLA and mostly 100% infill to get maximum strength. I've also added thickness and gussets/bracing where I can if I think it will help the strength. For example, I redid a servo mount and a link bracket I had machined from 1/8" aluminum and made them 3/16" thick. Did a manual "break test" and they seem to be fine, strength-wise. Printed a couple of 1.9 wheels with bearing mounts for freewheeling on a trailer axle, all the parts for a stake bed flat deck and a "utility trailer". Printed a chassis extension for the stake bed flat deck and I'm pretty happy with how that came out. Did a bunch of light buckets and then "clear" (transparent, really) lenses for the buckets.

Also printed some traffic cones and brackets for organizing stuff on my RC workbench.

Have a bunch more stuff that is drawn and gcode done, just need to get around to printing them.

I have a cheap chinese combo lathe/milling machine I've been using for about 15 years now. I'm not a machinist but I get by for the most part. Works okay if you keep up with the maintenance. Best thing I did was add a cheap iGaging X-Y-Z DRO to it a couple of years ago. Actually, just finished adding the Z-axis to the Milling Quill this week. 3d printed all the mounting brackets as I could never come up with a mounting set-up I was happy with. Was using 3 dial indicators on mag bases before that. SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW process doing just about anything with them.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
I've only had the 3D printer for about 3 months and RC parts printed have been minimal. I'm using PLA and mostly 100% infill to get maximum strength. I've also added thickness and gussets/bracing where I can if I think it will help the strength. For example, I redid a servo mount and a link bracket I had machined from 1/8" aluminum and made them 3/16" thick. Did a manual "break test" and they seem to be fine, strength-wise. Printed a couple of 1.9 wheels with bearing mounts for freewheeling on a trailer axle, all the parts for a stake bed flat deck and a "utility trailer". Printed a chassis extension for the stake bed flat deck and I'm pretty happy with how that came out. Did a bunch of light buckets and then "clear" (transparent, really) lenses for the buckets.

Also printed some traffic cones and brackets for organizing stuff on my RC workbench.

Have a bunch more stuff that is drawn and gcode done, just need to get around to printing them.

I have a cheap chinese combo lathe/milling machine I've been using for about 15 years now. I'm not a machinist but I get by for the most part. Works okay if you keep up with the maintenance. Best thing I did was add a cheap iGaging X-Y-Z DRO to it a couple of years ago. Actually, just finished adding the Z-axis to the Milling Quill this week. 3d printed all the mounting brackets as I could never come up with a mounting set-up I was happy with. Was using 3 dial indicators on mag bases before that. SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW process doing just about anything with them.
Nice! I don't have any experience with 3D printing, but it seems like to make it more sturdy/durable you just need to have better material to print with?

I've always wanted to get one. Just never had a reason for a lathe. I've done a lot of metal work over the years, welding, torch, millwright. I used to work in a factory and I would help setup the lathe for when they would make a few custom parts for the machines. I also took a tour of Hendrick Motorsports in North Carolina and watched them drill a motor. They had like 3 or 4 machines there. THOSE were fast, but your average Joe can't afford the software, much less the machines LOL.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
LOL! Same here, but the creative nerd in me comes out (which is rare, so I take advantage of it when I catch it) If I can figure out how to share a screenshot, I'll share what I have so far.
I did once, because the truck was stolen out of my XJ (window smashed) in ‘05.......wasn’t even done with the build and if I hadn’t been getting an employ discount at the HTU I worked for, I would have been about $1000 into this Nitro Stampede build

Considering I’ve had this Stampede 21 years now and has been a never ending build as it’s evolved............I’m afraid to see THAT number

Old 12-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nope, don't want to know.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Nope, don't want to know.

Yup, that’s how I am lmao.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
I did once, because the truck was stolen out of my XJ (window smashed) in ‘05.......wasn’t even done with the build and if I hadn’t been getting an employ discount at the HTU I worked for, I would have been about $1000 into this Nitro Stampede build

Considering I’ve had this Stampede 21 years now and has been a never ending build as it’s evolved............I’m afraid to see THAT number
OOF! That hurts. Not only losing your r/c. but having your window smashed on top of it!

It sure does look good for a relic

But seriously, it does look really good. Looks like you did a few mods there as well. I'm sure it's not a number I'd want to see either. I doubt I will after I keep track of spending for the first few months either. Geeze! I could of bought a new boat in spare parts!!
Old 12-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
OOF! That hurts. Not only losing your r/c. but having your window smashed on top of it!

It sure does look good for a relic

But seriously, it does look really good. Looks like you did a few mods there as well. I'm sure it's not a number I'd want to see either. I doubt I will after I keep track of spending for the first few months either. Geeze! I could of bought a new boat in spare parts!!
I started with a very used truck that reeked of pool chemicals (original owner had it stored with those, should have started with a new rig), so what wasn’t replaced with upgrad parts was replaced with new OEM parts that didn’t have that smell, plus the OE .15 was toast so a 2.5r for a Revo that I got for Christmas went into it.......plus Revo Pip and Tank, Maxx header, Electric Stampede and Rustler suspension, has new tires on it too.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Do not have any interest in micromanaging an RC build. I use Excel for reporting all day at work, RC is my ‘mindless escape’. I do know what I’ve spent due to having a monthly budget app (I have a ‘hobby’ category) but the last thing I want to look at when I am on ‘Me Time’ is another spreadsheet

Just a bunch of opinion there, carry on haha
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I’d rather not think of how much I’ve spent on my current drift build. Let’s just say it’s more than my vs410 pro with good electronics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, build, excel, spending

RC Project Spend Tracker - Excel - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excel G6 score card sidehiller Recon G6 0 12-31-2013 12:57 PM
Help!! Any MS Excel pro's vltchkr Chit Chat 12 08-03-2011 07:14 AM
Excel model? any good? Flatty General Crawlers 2 03-31-2004 01:25 PM