Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: For What It's Worth On USPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: For What It's Worth On USPS

I like my mail guy, he's super cool. Gotta remember they are just employees/humans sometimes and we live in a "I want it yesterday" world anymore.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I had a package ship out on the 2nd of Decembner. It's made it a whopping 14 miles since then, and I haven't had an update since December 7th. There's a reason I've always called them the slowstal service, but this is just ridiculous.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I like my mail guy, he's super cool. Gotta remember they are just employees/humans sometimes and we live in a "I want it yesterday" world anymore.
Our local Postal Employees are great. They can only deliver what they receive everyday. The average worker has no control over the screw ups made by the top dog's.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I had a package ship out on the 2nd of Decembner. It's made it a whopping 14 miles since then, and I haven't had an update since December 7th. There's a reason I've always called them the slowstal service, but this is just ridiculous.
It is that whole machine's being removed thing, I feel bad for the people having to hand sort packages. There are going to be a lot of sad children this year thanks to 2 people.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

i've been getting packages just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJ802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

The PO is looking for help. Most people start and quit.
Machines being removed the PO was ok. When C19 hit that changed everything. Who knew then that C19 was going to hit and be so devastating. Now just about every family orders everything.

Last edited by cul8tr; 12-15-2020 at 07:33 PM.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
The PO is looking for help. Most people start and quit.
Machines being removed the PO was ok. When C19 hit that changed everything. Who knew then that C19 was going to hit and be so devastating. Now just about every family orders everything.
I am not sure about other regions but the machines were removed here in the summer, Covid's effect was well known by then.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #28
RCC Addict

So I got to reading about the removal of the mail sorters because of this thread, read quite a few articles from different 'leanings' and I don't think there was anything overtly political/nefarious done there. Its part of the USPS downsizing due to less letters being written and is done every year...granted it was a little heavier this year but appears to be largely tied to budget constraints and not voter suppression. I think Trump is a buffoon (nicest word I could come up with) but I don't think he directly or indirectly attempted to subvert the mail in vote by ordering the machines to be decommissioned, I think the stars just lined up and there are unintended consequences any time you make changes to a system. Just my .02...having said that I have always believed that if the USPS was a private business it would have ceased to exist long ago.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

They have removed older sorting machines each and every year according to what I've read, this year is no different other than the fact that they removed roughly double the number of machines.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
..... if the USPS was a private business it would have ceased to exist long ago.....

Don't forget Amtrak. Both tax payer absorbing black holes....
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Don't forget Amtrak. Both tax payer absorbing black holes....

Not on my radar lol. Don't ride trains/don't know anyone who does
Old 12-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Just received a package I ordered Nov 28th... From CA to PA.

Be aware, I don't think tracking is really being updated at this point. This package shows zero status updates - it just showed up. "Accepted at Origin Location" straight to "Delivered Front Door/Porch". 4 other things are coming, all have been accepted, not a single one has shown a single update since.

So if you are not seeing tracking updates, be patient. It's most likely en-route even if it's not showing anything.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I've been patient. USPS orders are weeks behind, meanwhile, UPS and FedEX are still rocking as usual. So I find it hard to believe it's more demand, Rona, etc since UPS does the vast majority of Amazon orders, and lots of other online services, and neither of them seem to be dropping the ball like the slowstal service has.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:57 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So I got to reading about the removal of the mail sorters because of this thread, read quite a few articles from different 'leanings' and I don't think there was anything overtly political/nefarious done there. Its part of the USPS downsizing due to less letters being written and is done every year...granted it was a little heavier this year but appears to be largely tied to budget constraints and not voter suppression. I think Trump is a buffoon (nicest word I could come up with) but I don't think he directly or indirectly attempted to subvert the mail in vote by ordering the machines to be decommissioned, I think the stars just lined up and there are unintended consequences any time you make changes to a system. Just my .02...having said that I have always believed that if the USPS was a private business it would have ceased to exist long ago.
I have read it the same way, the boss was just not thinking right when he ordered the double machines removed with people doing more online with COVID. He should have met with the same fate as others in Administration. Not that it won't happen soon anyways.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #35

Name:  IMG_0467.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  63.9 KB
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #36

Old 12-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #37
RCC Addict

USPS delivered my package to a wrong address (Probably a neighbor). The carrier marked the package as delivered. I tried the tracking process and the package wasn't found since it had been delivered(Not at my house).
The sender filed an insurance claim with USPS but it was denied since the carrier had marked it delivered. The sender told me I was out of luck and they couldn't help me anymore.

I ended up filing an appeal with USPS , along with a statement that the package wasn't delivered to my house, and video clips of the time that the package was supposed to be delivered showing no delivery.
Five months later I finally a notice from the sender that USPS decided to pay off on the claim and gave me an in-store credit for the amount I paid minus the shipping charges. Would have been nice to had the cash back and not have to pay for the shipping on the lost package.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #38

People can senselessly defend the USPS all they want, but if they can't perform the service they shouldn't be taking the shipper's money, period.

I understand that we are in unprecedented times, but at some point they should admit they can't handle the load and temporarily suspend new services.

Would you accept going to a restaurant and paying for food that was delivered to the wrong table? Or would you accept taking your car in for an oil change only to find out you paid for somebody else's new 10W-30 and Fram filter while your car sat in the parking lot?
Old 12-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

USPS does the final leg for UPS under Surepost. The PO will receive Amazon from UPS 10-20 pallets at a time if not more. Most PO's carriers are running 2 trips on their routes sometimes 3 trips. All leave is canceled. Mandated to work holidays, Saturdays and Sundays. We are talking 14-16 hour days 6-7 days a week. No family time or relaxation time. PO is understaffed and they need more trucks.

Last edited by cul8tr; 12-16-2020 at 07:17 PM.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:21 AM   #40
RCC Addict

I think this thread is turning into a beat horse but just wanted to point out to OP that the mail sorting machines that were removed sort letters, bills, things like that. They don't sort packages. The backlog is due to the understaffing and high volume related to a general increase in e-business that was compounded by COVID. Everything works in a slinky effect...to say 'they should have known in June because COVID started in March" is just ridiculous I think.

They will get caught up after the holidays and we will find something else to over-analyze

For What It's Worth On USPS - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Usps silver falcon Chit Chat 10 09-10-2013 04:06 AM
usps badhoopty Chit Chat 20 04-01-2012 01:04 AM
The USPS... OKJeepin Chit Chat 9 03-02-2012 01:35 PM
USPS Help DrunkDriver Chit Chat 5 06-06-2010 08:43 AM
Usps trickedoutTLT06 Chit Chat 6 07-09-2007 08:46 PM