Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Yay 2021 is almost here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Yay 2021 is almost here!

2020 for me hasn’t been too bad. Started off just like any other year and then covid hit. Were I work was an essential business but they did not have enough work for 2 people so being the new guy, I got laid off. Which didn’t turn out to be bad other than the fact that I was stuck home all the time. Anyways went back to work and everything was fine.

No one in my family has gotten covid, don’t have any friends (other reasons) and nobody I’ve been in contact with has gotten it.

So for me 2020 hasn’t been too bad despite all of the crap that’s been going on. Until today!!!

Everything started off like any other work day. Until I went to sheetz this morning like I’ve done for the past few months (one opened up near my work so no point in going to wawa anymore). Anyways first problem was they screwed up my mto order but were quick to fix it. Unfortunately the wait to get my food, plus the wait to fix it, made it so I would be getting to work with little time to eat before having to go in. Now sheetz is about a mile or so from my work.

Anyways I leave sheetz and everything is fine..... until I get on the main road. Now because I’m getting back late I got on it to try and get to work a little quicker and well that didn’t happen. The front tires lost traction and must have caught traction quickly as my transmission seems to be broken.

My car is a 2009 cobalt with an automatic. I was lucky enough to get a traffic light green and carry enough speed down a hill, around a turn and up a small hill before it leveled off for the long slightly downhill trip to work with little to no forward movement from the transmission. I had just enough speed to park it in the parking lot at work. When I parked it I put it in reverse to see if it was possibly axle related, but it moved. Then back into all of the drive gears and it would just rev the engine with no movement!

Needless to say the car got towed to the mechanic I usually go to as they are very fair but don’t generally do transmissions. I’m hoping whats wrong is a simple fix but I really don’t think it is. The shop said they can recommend a transmission shop if they can’t do it.

So currently it’s a waiting game to find out what to do with my car. Either way I will be replacing it, just depends on how soon. If it’s a cheap fix (not transmission) I will get it fixed and then replace it this summer when dealers have the best pricing. If it is transmission, my parents said they will co-sign so I can get a new car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2020, 10:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Yay 2021 is almost here!

I was with you till you're (possible) Trans blew.
Sorry to here that.
Cheap won't get it fixed for long.
Good fix maybe more than the car is worth.
Good reliable replacement is a low miles Toyota.
If you get lucky, you can find a Low miles Scion xD.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

That sucks, definitely sounds like the trans let go. :( Axle hop is terrible for the trans.

This has been the year from hell for our family, hoping next year is better. Really the bar is pretty low, so hopefully can only go up from here!

On a side note, I'll drive way out of my way for a Wawa coffee...past a Dunkin, Sheetz, and 2 other places. Yum!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
That sucks, definitely sounds like the trans let go. :( Axle hop is terrible for the trans.

This has been the year from hell for our family, hoping next year is better. Really the bar is pretty low, so hopefully can only go up from here!

On a side note, I'll drive way out of my way for a Wawa coffee...past a Dunkin, Sheetz, and 2 other places. Yum!

Oh I definitely prefer wawa, just sheetz is a mile for work and it’s less out of the way than Wawa. I’m not a big fan of sheetz coffee but the cappuccino there is good.

Still no word on what’s wrong with my car yet

Old 01-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I feel your pain cObra. My wife's Wednesday adventure in the snow. She walked away, no injuries except a bruised thumb which she thinks she did trying to get the seatbelt undone while hanging upside down. R.I.P. little Honda. 200k miles, was a great little winter beater. Never let us down. Now the joys of trying to find a good used replacement.

By the way, any news on the tranny?
Attached Images

nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
I feel your pain cObra. My wife's Wednesday adventure in the snow. She walked away, no injuries except a bruised thumb which she thinks she did trying to get the seatbelt undone while hanging upside down. R.I.P. little Honda. 200k miles, was a great little winter beater. Never let us down. Now the joys of trying to find a good used replacement.

By the way, any news on the tranny?

Damn! Luckily your wife is ok.

No still no news but I’ve been told it could be the shift solenoid, so I’m hopeful that’s what it is but also trying to prepare to get a new car

Old 01-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The transmission is what broke on my car. I also got an estimate to fix it. Now I have to figure out what to do

Yay 2021 is almost here! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2021 Ford Bronco JatoTheRipper Chit Chat 72 11-02-2021 10:24 AM
Competition for UTV in 2021 hemeraracing Competitions 4 02-13-2020 06:24 AM